Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Dead Rising 1 is my favorite so I'm glad they're putting it on steam, kinda disappointed that they're adding more save slots tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I liked the whole time management stuff and survivors and it's kinda why I didn't like DR3 as much. Didn't have the same DR1 or DR2 feel.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
The time limit being gone, really just turns me away from DR4. Hopefully survivors come back at least otherwise I'm just not interested.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Dead Rising is still so good

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
so far so good. My strategy for DR still works and this game is a cakewalk. The Convicts got stuck behind a bench and I just SMG'd them all to death. Sophie almost died tho.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Man, I was excited but it's a good thing all this new stuff has come out. Hey maybe in 6 years we'll get a proper Dead Rising game and not just another 3rd person sandbox game, but with Zombies.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
hey maybe frank will appear in the new MVC, even if this new game is hot garbo.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
It seems weird to try with the fourth game to get more people into it. Playing not to your base seems like a bad idea, especially if the game is bad.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
That's really weird since the first DR was a console exclusive and did decently well.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
it was a Inafune game and I think he left around 2010 with his last project being Megaman Legends, which explains why it took them a long time to get to another Dead Rising. They then killed Legends 3 and then outsourced DR.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I totally forgot that Inafune really had a hard on for Western Devs.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I mean that's kinda funny seeing as didn't DR2 sell better than DR3 and OTR? two games that tried to gain that casual market with more emphasis on freedom and less emphasis on the time limit (in OTR's case having a full mode for people to dick around in without the constraints of the time limit)

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
The gameplay looks interesting but holy poo poo, no survivors? That was basically my saving grace after the time limit was gone. And that ending, God I want this game to be good and this series to not die but gently caress this game screams buy it on sale.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Wait how is Brad in DR4. What?

ed: nevermind I forgot the first sequence is just dreams

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Yeah I really don't think Dead Rising 1 had huge flaws besides survivor AI, which DR2 fixed.

Honestly I believe that's where the comparisons end to Saints Row. Saints Row 3 just took a lot of the wacky things in Saints and expanded on it, which was hit or miss. Dead Rising 3 tried to play down the various things like the Time Limit, Survivors, etc., and tried to play up gunplay. In SR4, Saints Row just took the wackiness up even more while fixing some of the comedy and story bits, DR4 has taken out the Time Limit, Survivors, and Psychopaths.

Ultimately Saints Row just kinda jumped a shark with comedy while keeping a lot of the same gameplay elements while Dead Rising has progressively taken away what made Dead Rising what it is. Like the comedy aspect is still there, but basically all of the core gameplay besides combo weapons isn't. AND IT ISNT A BAD GAME!

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I mean I did the exact same, I didn't really use quickstep at all. Like I can understand being bored during those huge spots of nothing but like the game gives you time to gently caress around and just kill zombies and explore the mall, that it didn't seem like such a huge problem to me.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I stopped using handguns when i kept having the survivors shoot and kill me. Ironically when I replayed it they killed me more times accidentally then I accidentally killed them.

Also spamming the come on button and waypoints is the easiest way I've gotten survivors to move a long and abusing the shortcut for mobility around the mall.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
yo if you don't accidentally kill one survivor with the sledgehammer you're not playing the game right

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I think it's mostly that the team wanted that, what they want and what they deliver is mostly going to be different. But it really painted a lot of perceptions before the game even came out. Still we ended up with goofy Frank so then I ask what was the point of the change?

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
The thing I liked the best about TJ was that he was such a random and crazy choice. Like the only thing Video Game wise I've heard him in was Dead Rising, like he's not a notable voice actor so I don't think he's taking a paycheck from anyone and the new guy they got apparently has only one credit which is DR4. So like to me it might be they didn't have the budget for the guy, unfortunately.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Did they ever get the DLC to work on PC? Like I loved the stache on Frank in the 360 version but capcom hosed up the DLC on steam

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI

King Vidiot posted:

Well what do you mean by "work"? I have the Cosplay pack and the items are in the game and if you wear them all together you get special abilities, so I guess they're working as-advertised.

At least, I think they're still in the game post-Steamworks. I bought the game when it was GFWL, bought that one DLC pack, then they switched to Steamworks and although I co-oped with a friend I didn't really pay attention to if they had the DLC in the locker or not.

Yeah when they switched over to steamworks the DLC wouldn't be there. Like I made sure to do everything I could to try and get them to appear but they would never activate, it's why the DLC has awful reviews because it doesn't appear in the lockers so you can't even wear it.

Wanderer posted:

My big dream feature for a Dead Rising game is that they rip off the Suikoden series and have it so survivors actually bring back specific benefits to your safe area: new features, extra resources, new rooms, minigames, etc.

I love Suikoden and I love Dead Rising so I'm done for this.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Aww that video just makes me sad. So very sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I mean it seems like a lot of the stuff in Dead Rising isn't really advanced but it seems to have a lot care and effort in it. Little things like cds individually being thrown when Frank throws them are cool tidbits not a lot of people would care about or even notice.

Dead Rising 4 doesn't have this and you can't really say it's a product of the situation Capcom is in because these are all small things. Like they cut the game's biggest parts of it and didn't even have any neat visual stuff and cool tidbits? You could say that these don't really add much but it adds to the presentation of the game, at least in my opinion.

And yeah the sandbox mode was a decent add that would people who don't like the time limit happy.

• Locked thread