Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Guessing this is the closest thing we have to a Dead Rising 4 thread?

My review is embargoed for another 10 hours, but I can say without breaking anything that I am very loving interested in seeing the general reaction people will have to this game.
Huh, either that means its a solid game but not like the first two so it will be really love it or hate it or its just that godawful.

(Probably the latter, but I think the former would be more interesting.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah looking at some Twitch streams it definitely looks they went pretty hard into the generic AAA sandbox mold. Some of those new combo weapons look fun though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

GenericMartini posted:

That's really weird since the first DR was a console exclusive and did decently well.
The 360 was a popular console.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Lost Planet 3 could have been good if it wasn't forced to be a prequel to Lost Planet 1.

The narrative is actually rather solid and unique until the main villains from the first game pop up and ruin it all by being cartoonishly evil in a game where any antagonists before hand are treated as misguided or good people just trying protect their loved ones.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 5, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Ha ha holy poo poo that ending sounds loving terrible. I might have considered buying it down the line if came to Steam or something if it was just solid but different, but that just sounds awful.

ImpAtom posted:

Ubisoft is surprisingly very responsible to a lot of things. the Assassin's Creed games are like an ongoing list of "you liked (X) but not (Y)? Check out our next game, son!" They're still in the same basic open world framework but I think people tend to overstate how much of that is "open world framework" that Ubisoft tends to be the most prolific devleoper in.
Yeah, when it comes to rear end Creed, they can be rather receptive. (i.e. People thought the only good thing about 3 was the naval battles? Let's have the next game be about pirates then." as well giving the series a few years off they can revitalize it.)

Also I hear you can actually play Watch Dogs 2 pretty much non-lethally the whole way through with some hiccups here and there.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Viewtiful Jew posted:

It's weird that the story characterizes Frank as such a...sociopath? Like, beyond just being a smarmy dick the game really tries to make Frank seem like a bad person who doesn't ever help anyone, which can be a thing he can be if you play the game that way and never stop to "rescue" survivors, but the option to save survivors still exists in this game just like it did all the way back in the first title.

It's like the game is saying that regardless of how you played the game, canonically Frank didn't collect a living zoo of survivors and stuffed them into cramped little security office rooms before Otis whisked them away in a helicopter.
Even if you don't save any survivors, Frank in DR1 is still risking his rear end to exposing the truth of the outbreak. If he was only doing it for the glory I don't think he would stick his neck out nearly as much. His characterization is that he is kind of an rear end in a top hat but he'll do the right thing when everything goes to hell.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

GenericMartini posted:

Yeah I really don't think Dead Rising 1 had huge flaws besides survivor AI, which DR2 fixed.
Nah, the mission placement on the timeline was pretty bad. They have most of the sidemissions crammed into the second day to the point where you have to abuse Quickstep just to have a chance at attempting to do everything while the first night and third night when you've been following the story are just devoid of any content.

2 was leaps and bounds better than that.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

GenericMartini posted:

yo if you don't accidentally kill one survivor with the sledgehammer you're not playing the game right
I heard the good word of whacking the living and undead in the head with mannequin torsos, so that never happened to me.

I did kill the three survivors you save from Cliff with a mini-chainsaw on purpose though because those idiots were going to make me fail the story.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Songbearer posted:

Has anyone played through Dead Rising 2 on the PC recently enough to know if it's aged particularly well, or if the co-op is still functional? I'm tempted to play it again but don't want to waste my time if it doesn't really hold up technically.
I played Off the Record on PC and that was fine. I doubt 2 would be much different.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Does 2 / OtR co-op work on PC anymore? GFWL and all...
They were both moved over to Steamworks a year or two ago.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Onmi posted:

In the lead up to DR4, I watched Brownman do his streams of the DR games on the Xbone. They are still strong as gently caress... though they can crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-Gmh3T5yW8
That's just the Bone being the Bone. I never ran into a single problem on PC.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I like how Dead Rising 2 expanded clothing options. I was honestly really surprised at how little interactivity there is in the first game when I replayed it this year. More games need to let the protagonist dress up.
Yeah, 1's rather limited. I had Frank rock a white suit, red tinted Morpheus shades, and a completely shaved head for my second playthrough where I completed the story when I finally played through the whole game on the PC version.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Rebecca lives as well.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Wanderer posted:

It isn't actually a retcon. It was already established that Carlito had done some fairly significant tinkering with the parasite, albeit with Isabela's help. For example, he knew enough about it to immunize the baby who'd grow up to be Nick.

The big retcon in DR4 is saying that Barnaby was in Willamette long enough to establish not only a lab, but a cover operation for it. I don't think the original game ever said why Carlito hit Willamette in particular, aside from the thematic significance of him wanting to hit as consumerist a target as possible, but now it kind of looks like he hit Willamette because Barnaby was there.

As of right now, my biggest problem with the Dead Rising story, which is a lot more straightforward than people seem to think it is, is that (DR3 spoilers) Isabela's plan to flush Nick out by causing the Los Perdidos outbreak is a really dumb loving plan. Not only does it make Isabela a monster but the entire thing hinges on Nick not dying to something else before Isabela finds him, which was nowhere near guaranteed.
With Barnaby it is a retcon because in 1 Carlito lures him to Willamette so he can have his revenge against him.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Gone Guru also has Party Robot.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I just don't get why they respawned.
It was their identical twin brothers that were also incarcerated in the same prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

King Vidiot posted:

From the videos I've seen, you could probably have fun with it if you like Generic 3rd Person Action Games. But no, it's not as good or as detailed as the other games, everything good about the franchise has been dumbed down or stripped out altogether and people who've played it have said it's really easy, especially since there is no time pressure at all or boss encounters.

I may disagree with this guy's video that says GTA IV is "better" than V (it isn't) but goddamn, this is so embarrassing for everybody involved with the making of DR4. I really kind of hope there's never another Dead Rising game now unless they do what Eidos did after Hitman Absolution and just straight-up release an episodic game that goes back to the franchise's roots. They could have mini stories inside of contained areas, kind of like Case Zero or Case West but with bigger maps.
IO is the Hitman dev and yeah, more devs should really learn from IO about keeping true to their word, owning up to and learning from their mistakes, and releasing a fantastic game after a lovely one.

• Locked thread