Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I wish Marvel had made more Dead Rising comics. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Since this is on the PC for the first time I can't WAIT to see reactions to

"Okay, I FINALLY killed those assholes in the Jeep so the courtyard is now safe forever."

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

RBA Starblade posted:

Was it a bug that those guys kept respawning or something? I just assumed it was a really big prison break. :v:

I think it was intended. They'd spawn every new day except if you were on the last case. They're one of the reasons I love the original so much, if you don't know what to do that entire area is super hard.

Honestly the whole game was hard until you started learning the tricks to it.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, it was great. I did basically everything but 7 day survival and I think rescue all 50 survivors in one go. Dead Rising had the best demo too, it was just 2 hours in the starting area, so a good quarter of the game for free. When the whole game came out I knew exactly where to go for the more hidden stuff like the smg and katana.

It also starts with "Zombies huh? I had a feeling you'd show up." which is quite the cold open.

I always wanted to do 7 day survivor but it takes like 10 hours. :(

I remember with survivors you'd ping them a spot to move to then just run along side them. It wasn't great but learning that trick made the game 10x easier. Also so did infinite orange juice.

I remember trying to make barricades in the food court. I need to get the remake.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

King Vidiot posted:

ABW - Always Be Waypointing. Also you can run into them to shove them, they'll stagger back and then get back on the right AI path. Useful if they get stuck behind an ankle high obstruction or a potted plant or something. Honestly I didn't play Dead Rising for the first time until after watching Oatmealraisin's playthrough, so I went in knowing a ton of strategies a first-timer typically wouldn't.

Also yeah, get as many orange juices you can take from Colombian Roastmasters along with the awning katana. Katawning.

The fact that the term "Katawning" exists is proof enough that this game is special.

blackguy32 posted:

Its not a remake. I don't even think its a remaster. Its the same game in 1080P.

Also, I am not looking forward to doing zombie genocider again.

I guess it'd be port then? Lol, I wasn't sure what to call it. I'm happy it's 1080p60 at least.

Judge Tesla posted:

I found Bill in the Entrance Plaza and I got tired of hearing him yell FRAAAAAAANK every time a Zombie looked at him so I left him to die.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Broseph Brostar posted:

I had this cool idea that 4 could be the movie based on the events of the first game as told by Frank, and now I've already set myself up for disappointment :(

I totally buy into the idea of Frank telling people he found a mech suit at Willamette.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Those are a huge pain in DR3 when the mission objective is to clear a room.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

King Vidiot posted:

I just can't bring myself to replay 3. It's not a terrible game, but after redownloading it a while back I just got to thinking about it and decided to uninstall it again. There's just something missing from that game, and it's not Frank.

I think my biggest gripe with 3 is that it's too much of a sprawling mess. What I liked about 1 and 2 was that they were smaller, self-contained areas. I don't want Dead Rising to be an Open World, I just want it to be a playground. I want it to be a ball pit full of zombies.

My issues with 3:

- Map is awful and not exciting. I kept getting lost, even with the map.
- Combo weapons are insane, and you can get them for free from a safehouse.
- Too much vehicle focus.
- Nick stays shy for way too long. I like him towards the end but he never gets any real personality like Frank or Chuck.
- Map is also too big. DR1&2 are dense. DR3 is just wide.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Broseph Brostar posted:

Another problem I had with 3 is a lot of missions required you to find specific items, but the massive map made it impossible to find one item in particular.

I always hit the weapons locker for those.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

King Vidiot posted:

I hated the weapons locker too, some (lazy) people might call it a quality of life improvement but I thought it took away yet another unique thing about the Dead Rising series.

Now the clothing dresser on the other hand, that was a fine idea. Because all that poo poo is purely cosmetic and I hated having to run around just to re-find an item of clothing after changing into something else for a while.

Clothing dresser owns.

Backhand posted:

Pretty much what the others said. I finished DR3 once and then never touched it again. Even like a fourth of the way in, I already just kind of wanted it to be over with.

The game's tone is all over the loving place and it mostly clashes horribly with itself. The moments when they tried going for 'quiet, horror-based drama' were especially grating.... and even moreso because they made finding such moments a loving collectible. You'd have Nick quietly muttering things like "Oh, God, no...." in a hurt, sympathetic voice with a sad piano cue in the background.... as a progress bar popped up on the screen and the pop-up text spat out some pseudo-witty one liner about the horrifically mutilated corpse you just found.

The characters were beyond inspid - the protagonists were so bland they may as well not have had names, and the villains were a little TOO good at being unlikeable - they weren't the 'fun to hate' variety, just the 'Jesus Christ, who thought this character was a good idea" type.

And yeah, the combo weapons were way too powerful and way too easy. They so far eclipsed everything else in the game, and were so simple to acquire, that combat was an anti-climactic joke at any and all times. The cars didn't help, either; you went from a small, desperate, claustrophobic race for better equipment to driving up to survivors, clearing away all the nearby zombies with one or two shots from your superweapon, then ushering them into your vehicle and going for a leisurely drive back to base.

I mean, it was a technically proficient game. It hit all the keystones of the series and I don't recall it ever crashing on me. But my God, the design decisions.

Nick is alright. Dick is alright. Rhonda became cool with the fire arm but did nothing. The "combo Rhonda" part was hilarious though. Chuck coming back was cool.

Chuck's witty Dad puns were the best part of DR2. Need more of those.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Just bought DR2OTR again... Thanks guys.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
It's in the final game for sure. Pretty sure there's unlockable weapons with the same animations, too.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Dead Rising 3 is weird. Even at high framerates it feels sluggish. I like the game, though.

Just wish they'd stop doing full cities. Fortune City was plenty big enough.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any extra modes in DR4?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
DR3's biggest issue was the awful nap and would have been a better game if it didn't require a car to get anywhere.

A lot of people didn't like Nick (I thou t he was fine) but at the very least he's surprised by what's happening around him.

Combo weapons did sorta spoil the series, though. Especially when you can just grab them from a locker.

Agoat fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 6, 2016

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Alteisen posted:

If anyone has windows 10, the ability to gift 20 dollars amazon credit and a strong sense of curiosity, PM me, I have a DR4 code for you.

I PMed you about this if it's still available.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
DR2 OTR won't even let me use the Xbone pad lol.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I actually think I like DR3 a lot. The map is really bad of course, but it's got some really cool moments.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
"Combine Rhonda"

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

https://youtu.be/VsiMATI4SbY

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
this is actually the theme song to dead rising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXRJWhA777o

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Accordion Man posted:

Gone Guru also has Party Robot.

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Knew what this would be before even clicking on it. This is a good and cool thing you've done, Agoat.

:awesomelon:

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ke0Rv5ww24

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Is it not fun or just not as good as the others? Is it challenging at least?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I still want to play DR4 but I fear the DLC spoiled the ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
This DLC existing makes me sad.