Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maxmandude
Apr 16, 2013

Malcolm Excellent posted:

It does seem like the devs tried really hard with Dead Rising. It also seems like the Dead Rising 4 team didn't try very hard at all.

The two games were made in very different times and climates for Capcom, with DR1 being made when they were in a fairly good spot both in terms of their developers and in terms of their cash flow. The allure of then "next-gen" technology also contributed quite a bit to having to show what they could possibly do on new hardware. DR4, on the other hand is Capcom at the point were they are not in a good spot anymore and it shows in their more recent games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxmandude
Apr 16, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

DR1 (and Lost Planet) were both rejected at the prototype stage but Inafune forced them into full production by ignoring the demands to halt development and deliberately going so far over-budget that management felt compelled to greenlight them - sunk cost fallacy and all that. It was a massive gamble and Inafune's career would have been toast had either game flopped.

Ah, that would scuttle some of my ideas then.(Where did you find that info out by any chance?).

GenericMartini posted:

I mean it seems like a lot of the stuff in Dead Rising isn't really advanced but it seems to have a lot care and effort in it. Little things like cds individually being thrown when Frank throws them are cool tidbits not a lot of people would care about or even notice.

Dead Rising 4 doesn't have this and you can't really say it's a product of the situation Capcom is in because these are all small things. Like they cut the game's biggest parts of it and didn't even have any neat visual stuff and cool tidbits? You could say that these don't really add much but it adds to the presentation of the game, at least in my opinion.

Individually, they don't add much, but put together that's a significant chunk of time spent on things that, I would imagine in their shoes, would be better spent on refining the bigger open world or the multiplayer.

Was it a good call? I'd argue not really, but that kind of the unfortunate lesson of game development; it's a constant process of what to add and what to give up and hoping what you stick with is what people will like and what they stuck with was...not really that good.

• Locked thread