Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
That disgruntled graphic designer couldn't even remove the background. Just an awful cover all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Quiz! Are you ready for AP class?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Heath posted:

Why can people not reply to that

"Don't respond to dumb poo poo" would fix a lot of problems, online and off, but it's clearly difficult for most people.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

quote:

Best. Year. Ever.

How to have fun, make friends and get all A's

quote:

Best. You. Ever.

Be yourself, work hard and get better grades!

I like how the original quote balances personal enjoyment, socializing and education while the "fixed" version only focuses on self-actualizing for the career.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I was never a teen girl but I know that when I got home from being at school for eight hours a day the first thing I wanted to read about was how to study more

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!
capital genuinely understanding teenagers better than bougie wokescolds is pretty funny

i mean, ffs, maybe if you want to make science appealing, put some effort into taking a good photo of your prospective stem girlboss and let her dress up a bit. i mean, if she wants to emphasize practicality in her appearance over overt gender performance that's fine, but do the work to make that look a little badass. or even just give her more warning than like her mom snapping a photo of her on her phone ffs.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Hodgepodge posted:

capital genuinely understanding teenagers better than bougie wokescolds is pretty funny

i mean, ffs, maybe if you want to make science appealing, put some effort into taking a good photo of your prospective stem girlboss and let her dress up a bit. i mean, if she wants to emphasize practicality in her appearance over overt gender performance that's fine, but do the work to make that look a little badass. or even just give her more warning than like her mom snapping a photo of her on her phone ffs.

It's just a random photo, lol.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

Paladinus posted:

It's just a random photo, lol.

yeah, its gotta be like what, from some stock image set you can pay for the rights to? lol if they grabbed some random kids picture from google images and never gave it further thought

but like, the choice of photo still matters because it rejects any attempt to appeal to its audience's literal developmental need to define an idealized version of themselves that represents their potential adult persona. its extremely puritanical in a very lib fashion.

and yeah more or less just like the games

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Hodgepodge posted:

yeah, its gotta be like what, from some stock image set you can pay for the rights to? lol if they grabbed some random kids picture from google images and never gave it further thought

but like, the choice of photo still matters because it rejects any attempt to appeal to its audience's literal developmental need to define an idealized version of themselves that represents their potential adult persona. its extremely puritanical in a very lib fashion.

and yeah more or less just like the games

I mean, they weren't actually trying to make a legitimate alternative cover, they were just making a point. The real issue here is the lovely news aggregator that made a whole article about what I assume was a tweet with a low-effort photoshop. News articles about epic clapbacks should be legally distinguished from free speech and banned.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
https://twitter.com/USgamernet/status/1298679113033453569

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've never played a CoD game but is there any situation in which you can not be a war criminal

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Heath posted:

I've never played a CoD game but is there any situation in which you can not be a war criminal

No, in fact the game historically justifies war crimes or paints them as the acts of other nations.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

among other things COD 2019 has an extremely obvious Highway of Death analogue but it was done by Russia not the US (*the Highway of Death technically wasn't a warcrime)

you also get to decide just how psychotic you want to be in torturing / threatening someone with their wife and child (actually better than usual for COD since it makes it a lot clearer that Price is an incredibly hosed up monster rather than a Hard Man Making Hard Choices)

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
modern warfare one did a pretty good job of changing the perspective of combat from the heroic deeds of ww2 to the clinical efficiency of today. the uaw stage is pretty chilling honestly

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Heath posted:

they used to be set in world war 2 and you fought nazis

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

JudgeX posted:

modern warfare one did a pretty good job of changing the perspective of combat from the heroic deeds of ww2 to the clinical efficiency of today. the uaw stage is pretty chilling honestly

the ac-130 scene is incredible propaganda of how the voice telling you who to shoot is like "don't shoot those guys, those are civilians" and the civilian thermal camera blobs are clearly marked as such on the screen

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Shear Modulus posted:

the ac-130 scene is incredible propaganda of how the voice telling you who to shoot is like "don't shoot those guys, those are civilians" and the civilian thermal camera blobs are clearly marked as such on the screen

there’s a game called spec ops that did this, except it turns out that you were bombing a refugee camp instead of a terrorist base

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Ziv Zulander posted:

there’s a game called spec ops that did this, except it turns out that you were bombing a refugee camp instead of a terrorist base

yeah spec ops is great

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

JudgeX posted:

was that the one where you play as GM strike busters

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

No, in fact the game historically justifies war crimes or paints them as the acts of other nations.
Didn't they blame Russia of all country for the us army created Iraqi's "highway of death"?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

Toplowtech posted:

Didn't they blame Russia of all country for the us army created Iraqi's "highway of death"?

it seems so inept as propaganda to me. like I guess chuds don't make a habit of maintaining internally consistent beliefs, but is there even a relevant audience for "this was bad and wrong and russia is scary"?

the people who are receptive to that sort of thinking don't think its bad or wrong. they want just enough hypocritical liberal handwringing to give them both cover and a chance to revel in the implicit celebration of americas ability to create suffering and death.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I think the cool thing about CoD is that the single player story is completely hands-off as far as the profit center is concerned. So you have a lot of artistic freedom (like spec-ops the line) to do warcrimes, or paint the player as the bad-guy, or not. Also extremely cheesy jokes like "Press F to Pay Respects." It's pretty great.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I think the cool thing about CoD is that the single player story is completely hands-off as far as the profit center is concerned. So you have a lot of artistic freedom (like spec-ops the line) to do warcrimes, or paint the player as the bad-guy, or not. Also extremely cheesy jokes like "Press F to Pay Respects." It's pretty great.

Are you feds really so out of practice that you'd just out yourself like this?

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
https://twitter.com/jboyolee/status/1299047636234833925

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fallom posted:

was that the one where you play as GM strike busters

i only played modern w1 and it was almost 15 years ago, all i remember of the plot is a coup in the mediterranean or middle east that the us/uk/russia all make worse with their special forces bullshit. i also remember thinking it would be more subversive if digital gunfighting weren't so darn thrilling. It does at least try to kill any sense of satisfaction you could get narratively, i felt like everyone died in the game for no reason.

i also heard the devs lost a huge amount of editiorial control after the popularity of the first modern warfare game. Real shocker that the team that revitalized a dying series was forced by management into a style of production that directly mirrored it's previous decline into mediocrity and unremarkablity.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Toplowtech posted:

Well they didn't literally do that because the event in the game isn't the Iraqi highway of death

But it's a direct reference for sure

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Fallom posted:

Well they didn't literally do that because the event in the game isn't the Iraqi highway of death

But it's a direct reference for sure
So it's like Red Scorpio where the Russians use a Agent Orange like type gas called Blue Whatsthename against the populace because clearly what America did, every other countries would have?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i haven't played the game but i think i read its a fictional middle eastern country instead of iraq and the bombers are russian but everything else is mostly the same

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Wait

There's more to cawldoody than multiplayer?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Marx Was A Lib posted:

Wait

There's more to cawldoody than multiplayer?

While it's not the main draw I imagine it has to be worth something because they keep doing it and can't be spending no small amount on it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the only COD I ever played besides warzone was the old World at War. I thought the single player missions were fantastic if not challenging

one mission rips off Enemy at the Gates and it's so fun

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

My gender is classified for stealth ops

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
encountered this on my job hunt:

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
that’s one of the bleakest things I’ve ever seen

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/NianticLabs/status/1300888134150795264

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

that’s one of the bleakest things I’ve ever seen

If there's a cartoon brand mascot I trust less to get me a job I'm not thinking of it.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

LastInLine posted:

If there's a cartoon brand mascot I trust less to get me a job I'm not thinking of it.

that loving wolf would set you up on a fake interview just to get you out of the house to get your cookie crisp imo

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

LastInLine posted:

the monopoly man

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

the monopoly man

i change my answer to this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

the monopoly man

I feel like if the Monopoly Man is willing to help you get a job it's going to be a no-show corporate board position in Ukraine like Biden