Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

polysynth posted:

Check out the AT&T booth for free samples of Schweddy Balls at the next BLM event

they stopped making Schweddy Balls fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

It bothers me that Trans St. is painted with the trans flag, but everyone else is just a rainbow flag color. Surely Gay St. should have a rainbow sign, Bisexual St. should have a magenta-purple-blue sign, Intersex St. should have a purple-and-yellow sign, etc.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Crane Fist posted:

What the hell is two spirit. Don't tell me to google it I will never

It's a term that LGBT Native Americans created in the 90s to express a range of gender situations that have a traditional place in indigenous American culture but aren't just "man" or "woman" (a lot of two-spirit people might be called trans in western society today, and often enjoyed a level of acceptance beyond anything we have today)

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Thoguh posted:

What's two spirit?

Civilized Fishbot posted:

It's a term that LGBT Native Americans created in the 90s to express a range of gender situations that have a traditional place in indigenous American culture but aren't just "man" or "woman" (a lot of two-spirit people might be called trans in western society today, and often enjoyed a level of acceptance beyond anything we have today)

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

crazy cloud posted:

By 90s do you mean 1390s

wikipedia said that the english term "Two-Spirit" was officially invented/adopted in 1990 to replace the offensive term "Berdache." Obviously the sex/gender roles are way older but from what I can tell the term itself is pretty new (just like homosexual/bisexual/heterosexual/transgender/nonbinary/etc which are only a couple decades older by my understanding)

phasmid posted:

I thought two-spiritism went back to shamanic practices? I know for sure if I met someone claiming to be a two-spirit who wasn't a shaman, I'd :rolleyes: at them.

the traditions are old; the label is new (and controversial because it's starting to replace terms more specific to individual tribes and traditions, like if people actually stopped using terms like trans/gay/bi and really sorted everyone together as "queer")

(but i'm just a white guy who read 3 wikipedia articles don't take my word for it)

Civilized Fishbot has issued a correction as of 19:21 on Jun 24, 2019

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Two sides of the same awful coin

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Hiring someone to be racist on the internet seems like a useless waste of money that could easily make your massive corporation look scummy as hell. I need proof beyond a reasonable doubt to believe Disney would do something like that - not because they aren't cynical, but because they aren't stupid

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

an actual dog posted:

remember solo: a star wars story lmao

that whole movie was just a setup for a solid ron howard joke in arrested development season 5a

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

MizPiz posted:

They've come out of far worse controversies without suffering any real consequences; hiring people to drum up fake hatred as a form of marketing wouldn't even register with most people, especially since a number of them would dismiss it because "many people actually do think like that."

The real question is why would a multi-billion dollar company rely on randos who ostensibly hate them to do what they want without instruction when they can use a negligible amount of their budget to have a team curate the "outrage" to their liking?

If poo poo goes wrong, and hiring a bunch of people to be racist online can go wrong incredibly easily, the guy who suggested it is going to get fired, and the guy who implemented it is going to get fired, and their bosses are going to get yelled at, because "disney hires people to be racist on the internet" is a headline that threatens the world's most beloved brand. Meanwhile, the benefit of a "controlled opposition" of racist internet people, diluted in the sea of racist internet people to near-homeopathic levels, is incredibly difficult to imagine or perceive

Blockade posted:

You don't astroturf in 2019 by paying social media marketing companies to put out racist tweets, you put out multiple articles, editorials, posts, and so on about how upset "people" are about a thing across multiple platforms. What's great is this also doubles as advertising. If you absolutely must reference someone in particular being racist, just search around for a minute you're bound to find at least a couple.

I completely agree

Civilized Fishbot has issued a correction as of 17:50 on Jul 8, 2019

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Frog Act posted:

Annihilation was like if Tarkovsky had been born in the 1980s with fetal alcohol syndrome

so it's like if he'd been born in the 90s?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah there's a reason every big name game these days has to be a 'live service' with constant updates or DLCs or the like in order to keep the game in the news cycle for years

The only exception is when the fanbase is passionate enough to do that for free - Skyrim, Minecraft, Fallout New Vegas, etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

I'm pretty sure 99.99% of Skyrim players never used a mod, which makes its enduring popularity all that much stranger.

holy poo poo, I thought all that effort had a way wider audience.