Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean yea, I imagine an Armenian has strong feelings there. Why is that worthy of being here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Powercrazy posted:

This just seems so fake to me. I mean it probably happened, but its just so loving stupid that it's challenging my critical skills.

it's something that no one with any common sense should ever have even considered, and should have been shut down instantly, but I'm 100% positive still happened anyway.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

Reminder that Ben and Jerrys is now ownrd and run by the enormous Unilever conglomerate

they're an Approved Brand so for some reason them doing the exact same things normally made fun of is actually v. real and true and genuine and please do not question the nice ice cream boys.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

yea that was...interesting to read

quote:

At Thursday’s LGBTQ X-Men panel a Romani fan asked the panel about the representation of Romani people in comics and how they are often characterized as thieves or unstable.

Peter David responded in an elevated voice that when he was in Romania he saw a child being dragged by its parent. The child was unable to stand because their legs were bent upwards.

David asked his guide what was going on. The guide told him that the family was Roma and that Roma parents broke their children’s legs so that they’d be more effective at begging.

David said that because of his experiences he does not want to hear about the representation of Romani people in comics. He refused to discuss the issue further and told the questioner to go away.

No other panelists responded. The moderator said something about wanting to keep the focus on positive things and the panel then resumed.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Civilized Fishbot posted:

they stopped making Schweddy Balls fyi

this is the real scandal

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pakled posted:

I don't know much about the Susan G Komen foundation in particular other than that's what people seem to say about it but "raising awareness" is actually a pretty good tool to fight breast cancer. Universal screening for breast cancer early is ultimately cheaper than allowing the cancer to develop and only treating advanced cases, and if society didn't hammer it in then fewer people would participate. Same thing with pap smears, colonoscopies, etc.

yea there's a lot of issues with Komen and you should still probably give your money to a better cause in the cancer fight, but the whole 'heh raising awareness more like doing nothing' detachment is a really stupid thing that keeps popping up. Awareness is actually kinda really important, especially for medical poo poo, it's not just literally saying 'hey did you know...breast cancer is a thing?' it's programs to tell people 'hey, check your tits, here's how, here's some places you can go for free professional looks, the best way to fight this stuff is to find it early'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean it's dumb to be all 'my god why, WHY has Taylor Swift not waded in? Truly she is failing to do her duty to America...' but yea it's not fuckin crazy to say 'maybe celebrities who have more direct access to their fans then ever before could be very influential in politics when they typically already have causes and all that fall under the political sphere to begin with'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
oh so Tony's fine with Hamilton riding his dick but Furry Freddy gets banned for saying 'shoot your frosting on my face'? Fuckin double standards for the elite in this country.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Saurus posted:

But a lot of celebrities, such as JK Rowling have lovely regressive viewpoints and use their influence to forward those instead.

Why should we act like celebrities' opinions are more valuable than other peoples simply because they're famous? It's ridiculous to put that kind of pressure on someone who performs for a living. They have no duty to speak out publicly on political issues just like anyone is free to keep their politics to themselves in their professional and public life.

I don't think we should be encouraging or demanding famous people to get involved in politics just because they have influence, that's a terrible idea.

I mean they're not 'more valuable' but JK Rowling making stupid tweets about Scotland was seen by a poo poo ton more people than, say, some rando saying 'no that's real dumb'. So, they do have more weight even if they're not more valuable in the sense that somehow famous people are More Citizens than us or whatever.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think he was being sarcastic about that too. The Star Wars thing not the dead wife thing, that'd be a hosed up thing to be sarcastic about.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Was it Lohan or Avril Lavigne who's Twitter is in a constant state of crazy meltdown

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

steinrokkan posted:

The cultural appropriation people make approx. 0.001% of population, most liberals are merely paternalistic and gatekeep other cultures so that only the good guys get to use them.

do you just use words you hear randomly

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jesus christ

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

If you all want some fun come to uspol.

this is like that genie that can't leave a cave until he traps someone else to take his place

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Terror Sweat posted:

whats actually funny is hamilton helped create the electoral college

To be fair he was pretty into the EC overturning bad votes.

quote:

All these advantages will happily combine in the plan devised by the convention; which is, that the people of each State shall choose a number of persons as electors, equal to the number of senators and representatives of such State in the national government, who shall assemble within the State, and vote for some fit person as President. Their votes, thus given, are to be transmitted to the seat of the national government, and the person who may happen to have a majority of the whole number of votes will be the President. But as a majority of the votes might not always happen to centre in one man, and as it might be unsafe to permit less than a majority to be conclusive, it is provided that, in such a contingency, the House of Representatives shall select out of the candidates who shall have the five highest number of votes, the man who in their opinion may be best qualified for the office.

The process of election affords a moral certainty, that the office of President will never fall to the lot of any man who is not in an eminent degree endowed with the requisite qualifications. Talents for low intrigue, and the little arts of popularity, may alone suffice to elevate a man to the first honors in a single State; but it will require other talents, and a different kind of merit, to establish him in the esteem and confidence of the whole Union, or of so considerable a portion of it as would be necessary to make him a successful candidate for the distinguished office of President of the United States. It will not be too strong to say, that there will be a constant probability of seeing the station filled by characters pre-eminent for ability and virtue. And this will be thought no inconsiderable recommendation of the Constitution, by those who are able to estimate the share which the executive in every government must necessarily have in its good or ill administration. Though we cannot acquiesce in the political heresy of the poet who says: "For forms of government let fools contest That which is best administered is best,'' yet we may safely pronounce, that the true test of a good government is its aptitude and tendency to produce a good administration.

But, uh, that was pretty much in the context of 'if somehow we literally don't have a majority and we kinda can't have some sort of civil war brewing over a contested election' and 'if we just somehow straight up elect a British loyalist who runs on a platform of 'whew that revolution was a mistake right? Let's go back!' He was super into the idea of democracy being pure enough to somehow endow even a shithead with ~presidential qualities~ and all.

Honestly I like Alexander Hamilton a lot as far as founding fathers go, but the idea he wouldn't 100% be one of those dudes on the news smugly lecturing protestors about how we must respect ~the democratic process~ and the really important part is maintaining the sanctity of our election process and poo poo is nuts.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Larry Parrish posted:

I know you have brain AIDS but uh, democracies do not work if people don't believe in them. This has been proven over and over. So uh thanks cool anarchist guy

I agree? Which is probably why he and every other federalist viewed the ability of the EC to override popular vote as a big red button 'in case of emergency' type thing rather than 'aw this guy is gonna suck, redo'. My last bit was more about the general tone of the people who act like anyone saying 'I'm mad about this election' should just shush because the act of democracy is some sacred thing that must be honored to the extent of never complaining about it. I don't think I ever said we need to abolish democracy, just kinda agreeing that the people using Hamilton as some escape is kinda funny.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

democracy is sacred, but not everything democracy does is inherently good because of that. The whole point of a democracy is people have the right to say 'this is loving poo poo, gently caress that guy' while fully respecting 'yea that guy's gonna be president though'. That was all I was going for, I'm pretty fuckin far from some anarchist who's saying we need to burn down the core concept of our political system . The only reason I used that quote in the first place is Hamilton constantly spoke like the basic act of being elected as a statesman was something transformative due to the inherent goodness of the concept.

Dreddout posted:

All the ironic "eat the rich class war now" has morphed into unironic "FULL COMMUNISM NOW"

We need a spicy meme mascot to counter Pepe.

My nomination:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
is this the fastest a symbol has become commodified and completely meaningless? Like, it feels like there was A day when the thing was 'ok these pins are kinda dumb but it's a way to show you're safe for if someone needs help or someone you know needs to talk like maybe a friend who's still kinda on the DL but scared about gay issues' and it instantly just became 'LOOK AT ME I'M AN ALLY I AM VERY GOOD AND MORAL I SPENT 700 DOLLARS ON THIS PIN TO SHOW IT'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Laphroaig posted:

I know /pol/ was trying to claim this was a false-flag (that they are responsible for it) but I think that is a lie, its just pure idiotic Moral Consumerism in full loving force.

I think its because its such a perfect storm - its jewellery, you can accessorize with it, everyone was in full on Shook from Trump mode, so yeah, all of the coastal cities immediately go into retail therapy mode.

yea I'm not surprised at all this is where it ended up I just expected like...a week or so of it actually meaning 'look I'm safe to talk to if you're trying to keep a low profile or need help with something you feel is dangerous' before it became the gold star for allies to wear. Like, it was always kinda dumb, but at least its original point was coming from a good place. I actually do have some friends who have, since the election season and all, are now nervous talking to strangers if they need, say, directions or something because of assorted things they feel out them as a target. It's kinda nice that for a bit people were actually trying to find some decent symbol to show nice and clear they won't be starting poo poo or whatever.

I'm gonna blame Etsy, every lovely 500 dollar gold painted pin I've seen has been from those assholes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fiction posted:

Hamilton is a perfectly good musical despite whitewashing a ton of poo poo about American history and the knee jerk reaction of nerds hating it after Hillary lost without having listened is funny to me. Did you really think the only people who liked it were the wealthy elites who could afford a scalped ticket?

This is true that it's a perfectly decent musical beyond the obvious issues of 'uh hey all these guys owned slaves and were pretty proud about it so it's kinda weird to have Hamilton be all 'heh you guys in the south do all your work with slaves' as a sick burn'.

Oh Snapple! posted:

I think they're the people who push it as even remotely significant, yes.

This, however, is also true, because the only people who push it as some grand cultural cornerstone and do absurd stunts like 'we spent a poo poo ton of money sending students from a poor school to see Hamilton, no we didn't donate any of that to the school history program or anything' are people stuck in a bubble of wealth where this idea of being able to manufacture a cultural revolution is even possible, let alone is a good one.

Hamilton is a good play, lin manuel miranda seems like a cool and genuinely sweet guy who is good at writing music. It's the turning it from 'oh, yea, this is neat, and hey cool of him to focus on a less known historical figure' to 'THIS IS SO IMPORTANT YOU GUYS, THIS IS AN IMPORTANT CULTURAL TOUCHSTONE WE'RE SHARING' that's very much the domain of the kind of people who think 'go see this broadway show, it'll change your life' is advice that's applicable to the majority of Americans. I say this as a huge theater nerd who fully respects and understands the power of theater to change lives, but granting a single play some near divine status isn't healthy or even fair to the play itself. If you go to Hamilton expecting some life changing experience you'll probably be very disappointed. If you go expecting to see a pretty solid play about a neat dude that has some historical issues in the name of telling a good story, you'll have a good time.

Also I thought Alexander Hamilton was cool before the play so I get to be a smug history nerd about the inaccuracies in it. That has nothing to do with the wealth bubble it's just a sweet bonus.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Terror Sweat posted:

lmao at being so terrified of the world you cant ask someone for directions

the main friend I was thinking of on that is a trans woman who feels her voice is still too 'mannish' to pass and has already been attacked before.

it is hilarious ya, owned am i right.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Atrocious Joe posted:

I've listened to Hamilton straight through I think twice now and have gone back to few songs occasionally

I still make fun of it, as everyone should

:yeah:

Also the strongest parts of it are anything not focused on lin manuel miranda. I like him, he's not bad, but the ladies who play Angelica and Eliza were way better, too bad their only songs were about how bad they want that Hamil-dong or how the Hamil-dong ruined their life.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

jesus gently caress have these jack offs read anything except some loving kids book about some snake wizard.

I mean to be fair I MAINLY blame the american education system at this point

But no

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
what's with people protesting by buying poo poo from the people they hate? In 2001 it was buying French wine to throw it away to show them frogs what for, then every Christmas it seems to be buying from (insert literally anyone, it can be anyone at all who fails to be Sufficiently Christmas) but putting your order under 'Merry Christmas' or something so they have to write it, now it's going to a place these people think is actively discriminating against them (lol), buying from them, but saying 'Trump'?

Like, these people know what a boycott is right?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SpaceGoku posted:

they don't care about hurting the business, they care about intimidating the employees/customers

at best they're looking for confrontation, at the worst they're out to harass and threaten

gently caress that's it isn't it? They're hoping some straw-liberal actually does say something to them like in their fantasies and they get to 'fight back' guilt free?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

brocretin posted:

i think it's a little telling that mike pence was going to see hamilton in the first place

do you seriously think it was a genuine interest or what

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
lol if you genuinely believe Kanye will run for president because he said one thing once.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bro Dad posted:

yeah that simon dude is loving awesome

he managed to track down and prove a certain russian military officer was fighting in ukraine in like the span of a week

Subjunctive posted:

*And* he lived to report it.

oh so that's why HE is mad at them

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Jeong is pretty active in the handling of online harassment and poo poo, not sure if she ever caught it herself but of all the people to still be pissed at those idiots she's probably one of them that's a bit more reasonable to be.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I still can't stop laughing at thinking Unamerican Activities Committee is a Hogwarts thing

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zeal posted:

nice of him to use his last months for this rather than dismantling the NSA's attempted panopticon system or rescheduling marijuana, or even pardoning a bunch of non-violent drug offenders

congrats on this post

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MizPiz posted:

When did this safety pin thing start and who can I blame for it?

on paper the idea wasn't terrible in that it was supposed to be a subtle way to show, say, people you know or whatever who may be closeted or something, that if they needed someone to talk to you were willing to help out and wouldn't spread it around or whatever.

Then etsy happened and it just became a straight up 'I'm an ally here's my gold star to show what a good good progressive I am'.

e: also fuckin lol 'I pay reparations' is the whitest shirt ever made

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

get that OUT of my face posted:

when did "pay money to people lower on the privilege totem" become the foremost way of proving your Good Ally Status, because it's pathetic and late-stage capitalism as gently caress

if you genuinely want an answer it came from the good and valid concept of 'it's good to try to support people who are normally shut out of the greater business world, be they minorities or just kinda situations like stay at home moms and poo poo'. Places like, say, Etsy and all started out really good for this, where you didn't have to rely on storefronts and politics around that aspect of selling your poo poo.

The problem came when people decided 'this is a decent way to try to do things' meant 'this is an inherently moral act' because the target audience of those places became upper middle class white people who felt that by patronizing them they somehow are buying a privilege indulgence or something.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, this poo poo totally helped the lefts cause.

I think, of all the absolutely pointless comments, of all the shamelessly self serving things like safety pin boxes, and of all the spicy hot takes, this kinda poo poo is actually the most boring thing to possibly say.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Perfect Potato posted:

Idiots completely wrapped up in identity politics are some of the most virulently racist people online outside of cesspits like /pol/.

eg: "Wrong colored children," a thing unironically said in a Halloween costume thread on Neogaf

you're not wrong that woke twitter fuckin sucks, but since when is Neogaf a haven of far left voices

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

people don't know it but one of the first broadcasts we got during the attack was actually the Arizona sending a message of 'uh oh, spaghetti-o's!'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah retarded as all gently caress. but that begs the stupid question. are their any real upsides? or are we hosed forever.

in the sense that there will be things like that where 'new' farming opportunities will rise and will likely increase the diversity of available crops? Sure.

In the sense that those benefits would need to outweigh the whole 'islands that people live on literally being swallowed by the sea' aspect? Nah.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cnut the Great posted:

I still don't understand who they are. What are their numbers, what are their demographics, who are their leaders, how are they organized, etc.?

I don't have concrete numbers for most of those but spoiler alert their 'demographics' are 'super white with a few weird outliers'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
me? I guess I'm just a blown up building full of corpses half-full kinda guy, I try to look at the positives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Breakfast All Day posted:

read gbs archives from a dozen years ago and extrapolate the worst case progression of thin-irony-veneer racism to the present

its just neonazis too goony to go organize at rallies or lovely band shows

I don't know about poo poo bands but they totally have rallies. Like, the guys who gather and shout 'heil hitler' are upset we call them nazis.