Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Robots as slavery is so loving hack, that most of the new robot sci-fi has been avoiding that chestnut (Westworld included, which raises points of commodification of human life rather than an allegory for minority oppression*).
*read: milking real world suffering to bring levity to your story that teaches no one anything new and is only meant to impress morons

Dr. Killjoy has issued a correction as of 20:51 on May 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

do love an Electrolyte Infused Athletic Beverage™
they’re good for hangovers
I recall loving pedialyte recently doing a millenial pivot by coming as close to alluding to that property as they can while still safely being predominately marketed for babies

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

multiple fantasy properties do that, but it should also be said that Skyrim’s other races are some kind of British isles people, some sort of fantasy Mediterranean, and Scandinavian.

the nonhuman races also are often vaguely coded as some real life culture

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

OmanyteJackson posted:

Would you believe they have a subform for anti-trans women memes?

have always been surprised that there aren’t that many Male Feminist types who pivot into being male TERFs but I guess Sin dude delivers every possible bad position under the sun

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

I love how Constance Wu had a line from the book about “I don’t date Asian men” dropped in the film for supposedly benign reasons when it’s 100% to prevent insane social media creeps from harassing her.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

DC does hard or soft reboots every 5-10 years, that’s like asking “if Batman is so above the standard justice system why did he have a police badge in the 1950s?”.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Andy goes CHUD and April becomes one of those altright thirst youtubers.
Jim gets cucked.
Tom becomes a DSA guy until he gets meTooed.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Uh Jerry, played by Jim O’Heir

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

p. slick to devote you front page to a shoe advertisement

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

veiled boner fuel posted:

I’d gently caress a snake if you told me it was secretly a hot Asian lady.

harry can talk to snakes and the first girl he falls for is chinese
coincidence?
JK has been planning this from the get go

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/greenbookmovie/status/1057014269504446464?s=21

Saw the trailer on YouTube and dismissed it as “shithead Italian paling around a black man during the 50s” standard liberal anti racism tale but never caught the title. Jesus Christ at appropriating The Negro Motorist Green Book (the actual story surrounding the publication lasting decades and definitely deserving of public exposure in its own right) for such a by the numbers movie on racism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkZxoko_HC0

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

That line is from the first book of the series which was very much a coy Roald Dahl style novel and for worldbuilding a children’s book works out pretty well (same for the bad guy being called You Know Who). The transition to dark YA novel about combatting a supremacist styled conspiracy is the only reason anyone tries to interpret that line as anything but an artifact of a cute children’s book.

Class itself is a loving weird thing in the books that really only plays out in a Liberal Realist manner in the redhead being poor, Harry feeling conflicted about being scores more wealthy than his friends, that having very little magical skill dooms you to poor paying menial positions in the wizard world (Hagrid, the creepy janitor, a bus driver) and that nothing can be done about this.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Deadpool has always worked best as a literal Ugly American :canada: so while he shouldn’t be an out an out bigot attempts to make him Woke™ severely limits the character. Microaggressions only though.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm still kinda surprised we haven't had any Harry Potter comic books. Or an animated series.

Real missed opportunity on Rowling’s or Warner Bros. part or she doesn’t want to cede creative control, remember Rowling comes up with the awful plot points of the new prequel movies.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

wait does vanishing mean something other than making it invisible

this was answered in the books and it’s something like “vanished items are sent everywhere and thus nowhere” so poo poo just keeps piling in the aether I guess

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

you're not but they're still incredibly different beasts

for one thing, most comics actually sound like they're written by different people and dont have completely interchangable fight scenes that are finished before the book even starts

the modern snappy witty dialogue thing kinda engulfs most comics now as a result of Brian Michael Bendis and Joss Whedon pioneering it and it always amuses me when fans have a (deserved) hateboner for either of them and still love most of the dreck that follows in their footsteps.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

it’s pretty pathetic comic sales are still at a fraction they’ve ever been and still declining, wokelords pretend (believe) that they’re picking up among children and youth after a few decades of being written exclusively for stunted manchildren and the reactionaries pretend (believe) that it’s SJW propaganda to corrupt ARE KIDs but the reader demographics haven’t really changed. and as said manga is loving free (well there’s :filez: sites for American comics too nowadays) and comics take up way too much pocket money for a kid now.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

comics shops are loving dead I don’t think anyone’s not buying from them because they “feel unsafe”*, and more so as a teen getting your parents to drive you half and hour or more into a weird part of town to ogle at books for twice the driving time is a little impractical

*EDIT: Apart from my hometown where the twitchy shopowner lived in there and shot dead burglars on more than one occasion.

Dr. Killjoy has issued a correction as of 03:49 on Jan 14, 2019

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Levine’s stated something to the effect that rapture would have survived if Andrew Ryan maintained his ideology and not become a statist or whatever

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

he didn’t use ‘statist’ himself but deffo he was saying that exerting any sort of governance or regulation at all led to the collapse

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

any YouTube vid about plot holes in blockbuster movies that gets six figure views is absolute horseshit usually

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

tits and rear end and feet in movies are great but then take into account that there’s a 50-180 ratio of unused footage to used footage and then you realize that every director is a comically voyeuristic pervert

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Gonna be funny if it flops and suddenly Infinity War 2 is based around a new character no one cares about. We might see them go full Poochie.

they’ve got it for release in March which looks pretty loving dire for movies, it’ll be up against Hotel Mumbai, Dumbo, and the Expendables 4.

maybe the new Tyler Perry movie looks good

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

when incels are born the government creates a straw man who has all the sex in their stead. buy my book and I’ll show you how to get the fed to release all that sex back to you in three weeks or less.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

didn’t the “the gays” start out as a 30 Rock joke about the condescending attitude of entertainment figures to gay audiences or fans?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

there is a shoe brand me too that has actually been around since 1996. they kinda had to use #metoo as a marketing pivot, either cynically (this is the correct option) or nobly (lmao sure).

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Pursuit of Happyness and Hancock could have been much better if the white male supporting actor was also Kevin James.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

a Roman themed pizza franchise selling substandard product is the perfect brand for the altright

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

as a kid I like phantom menace but mainly because I really liked Watto. the dude could fly! he was the coolest character I had seen up til then :buddy:

twenty years later I am still correct.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

onion went downhill when they caved in and started deleting primo content like calling a child actress the c-word and “Local boys find a stash of perfectly good ladies in the woods”

Dr. Killjoy has issued a correction as of 07:44 on May 8, 2019

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

never saw Junior but I saw the series finale of the Dilbert cartoon where he gets mpreg and his Dilmom refuses to let the doctors give him an abortion because it was her “only chance at a grandchild”

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

they all smelled blood in the water and no one showed mercy

meanwhile a teenager is getting fired because she gave Kim Kardashian the wrong soda, probably

the most powerful “let me speak to your manager” pull, going straight to corporate

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

that’s just anime! you’re making a shittier more fash version of anime, television channel for teen girls and mid thirties gay men!

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

demisexual is still a thing?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

let's see if i can find the "literally thousands of asexual victims in the Holocaust" one but in the meantime

which is not to knock asexual inclusion at all (lgbtqia is the way to go) but man was 2012-2014 a shitshow in the discourse on the subject

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Autistic people are notoriously predisposed to asexuality, any erasure of it is concomitant with erasure of them. Assholes

yeah they’re also notoriously predisposed to hyper sexuality

you could say it’s some kind of spectrum or something

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

look

asexuality: cool

identity politics: cool*

being a oval office: not cool

*except when it’s not cool

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

ngl I’d eat that crap

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

for making six figures their Siri writer should at least be able to make an Ada Lovelace reference

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

is that the safety pin box again

as much as a bourgeois scumbag antipopulist grifter as the woman behind safety pin box was, she was at least actually black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

love it when the Statue of Liberty stands erect in all her irony