Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Why don't people treat talking about Harry Potter seriously like they treat people talking about Star Trek seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I have never been so grateful that the uploader has chosen not to make the video available in my country.

'Problematic' is a completely missed opportunity for covering 'Automatic' by The Pointer Sisters. Which is just as well.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I do not think that was a joke. I think she was genuinely afraid she would be called out by others for transphobia, and took measures to protect herself.

This whole aspect of woke insanity with its disclaimers and addendums and 'I don't mean THOSE people' is like a public opinion version of desperate legal rear end-covering. Like, who else has ever had to do this?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lumpy the Cook posted:

So far I've seen celebrities, goons, every news site, thousands of verified twitter randos, and the dictionary take turns swinging at all these frothing mad misogynist nerds angry about the female Dr. Who, but... aside from 5 or 6 twitter trolls (two of which had their tweet deleted faster than I could view the replies) and this guy, I haven't actually seen any of these frothing mad misogynist nerds angry about the female Dr. Who.

I'm starting to think that the massive horde of sexist Dr. Who fanboy geeks that all these people are swinging at isn't actually real and they're all just posturing (and, ironically, working to further enrich a company of sex criminals in the process)

This happens every time now.

It makes a lot of sense when you realise the whole call-out culture is basically endgame Helldump but with thousands of people and major media institutions. Or Maoist Musical Chairs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think the idea is more 'literal children can understand this, grown men have no excuse'. Though that's probably the joke.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

mrmcd posted:

What if I wanna gently caress an avocado but not in a gay way?

http://oglaf.com/incubus/ (not necessarily :nws: but the comic often is)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Kingfish posted:

It can be pronounced it just requires a glottal stop. Which Spanish speakers don't use as far as I know.

It's a terrible car crash of a word linguistically overall, basically. Most uses of 'x' to imply ambiguity or neutrality are.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Swimsuit debates.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Literally hating the laughter of children.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

so woke we can put swastikas and racial slurs all over our products, to stop racism you see

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

more like damnatio memorae

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Real life Dreamworks Face. That's a level of woke insanity rarely seen in public.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Milky Moor posted:

it's because it is a fad, for a certain definition of it. the people who make the money have realised that there's an untapped market that is happy to conflate consuming media with being progressive. for example, that new ghostbusters movie article that says you should buy everything to support it.

the problem is, because it is a profit-driven exercise, the moment profits fall behind what is expected -- or word of mouth is that the product is bad, preachy, whatever -- they'll inevitably switch back the previous model.

this is somewhat related to what taintrunner said about how there is always this strange marketing push to 'fight' the 'internet trolls'. the culture war narrative sold by both sides of the political spectrum is just the newest, and probably most effective, way of getting money from people for a product. it is also probably the most insidious because it is teaching people that it is perfectly fine to have your identity marketed providing that you think the person doing it is Good. sort of like how big companies started pushing back against the idea that there is no such thing as gender because it is harder to market products to Every Single Human than it is to Boys And Girls.

it's just capitalism defending itself, and there's a ton of people who don't see the problem of capitalism defending itself in a cloak of idpol, packaging how people choose to express themselves into happy little soundbytes and 'badass' hot takes

It's funny how the people who tend to be upset about 'cultural appropriation' have absolutely no idea of telling when they're being shamelessly appropriated and used for the benefit of others, at the expense of the welfare of the people it's supposed to protect.

To paraphrase Hank Hill, 'you're not making feminism better, you're making pop culture worse'.

(Kind of ironic that Mike Judge seemed to be almost unique in recognising how cringeworthy and derivative Christian rock usually is)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Whorelord posted:

he's also a ladies man which is pretty much unheard of for portrayals of asian people

Hell, he gets more legitimate characterisation and development than practically anyone I can think of on the show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

WampaLord posted:

Extra Credits is the most puerile thing I've ever seen. They claim to be educational, informative, and entertaining and they never reach the goal of even being one of those things.

"Let's describe a concept, then show you a couple basic examples of that concept. Let's ask a bunch of questions that might have interesting answers if we actually wanted to dive into this concept beyond a surface level. Aren't those neat sounding questions? Sure would be great if we had answers for them! See ya next week!"

All while speeding up the main dude's voice because...I really don't know why.

They try to be the edutainment Zero Punctuation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hodgepodge posted:

just gonna yell hate speech at a queer filmmaker trying to speak, very woke here

The thing about wokes is that their entire mentality is informed by 'my black friend' but with every minority under the sun

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

they're part seal, part puppy, part bird, part guinea pig. they're scientifically designed by committee to be as cute as possible so more nerds will throw away their money on funcopops, and kids will demand happy meals with porg toys

And everyone will ignore them and love some random robot

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Perhaps after seeing leftists literally fight Nazis and tear down Confederate statues, old fashioned performative wokeness just won't cut it anymore, they need the good poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

People in CineD seem to be wilfully having trouble getting their heads around 'First woman superhero movie that isn't dogshit' is kind of a big deal for a lot of people. But then again that's CineD.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

zeal posted:

doesn't CineD mosty think zack snyder is a good director tho

Weird because Wonder Woman was super Snyder.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The problem with letting people say 'whites are the devil' and nodding along with it every time is that you end up with a movement full of the racial equivalent to Male Feminists, and probably the same people, for that matter. And you probably know how that goes.

Also falling victim to the liberal fallacy that a minority/woman leader is better and more moral than a white/male one and will actively work to benefit minorities, despite some pretty clear evidence that's not necessarily the case at this point.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

apokaladle posted:

It's a little hard to describe. Sometimes you'll see white people online very specifically using gifs of black people that are perceived as especially sassy or otherwise heightened emotionally, in contexts where it lends them a certain legitimacy. It's nothing to do with some claim that only black people can post gifs of black people, before someone decides to post that.

It's not uncommon among white Twitter liberals when attacking leftists, especially when claiming to be more inclusive and less discriminatory, and is actually a pretty decent example of the thread topic. Kneejerk mockery of the very concept because someone's decided it sounds ridiculous, on the other hand, isn't the best look.

hm

nah

that's some really fuckin dumb poo poo there mate

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean this is the kind of thing that ends in negromancer internet paper bag tests to determine who is authorised to use the correct gifs

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean we just went through all this rules of internet cultural race etiquette poo poo and it backfired completely in the worst possible ways, what makes anyone think this is any different

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I managed to keep a bearded dragon alive for about ten years on and off and I was a lazy motherfucker, I'm sure it can't be that hard unless you're hitting the 10+ year mark.

That said, after all the poo poo in this thread and beyond, Angelina Jolie seems almost tolerable. Worry about lizards and your kids, at least she's not Notch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oh Snapple! posted:

chelsea is hated because people on both sides of the aisle have a deep, burning hatred for whistleblowers and want them dead.

you see it with snowden as well.

It is a great litmus test for status-quo shills.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It was discussed elsewhere that 'orgy' isn't quite the right word, it's more running a train on her

Feminism has gone to some weird loving places the last decade

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean, Trump pretty much is the Idiot God-King of Twitter right now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Solar power in Puerto Rico doesn't seem like a bad idea at all on paper? It's in the best latitude for it, as an island nation an independent and decentralised power supply makes a lot of sense, and solar is fairly low-maintenance and reliable. Of course the fossil fuel companies are likely to pitch a fit about it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Inkjet Propulsion Lab

Splatoon spoilers much?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Millitary contractors realising that nobody actually likes them?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Where's godzilla when you need him

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Is that Jim Carrey?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

"Are we the baddies?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's really, really easy to be a complete grifter and outright malevolent under a charitable veneer, because even people within the organisation won't bother to look closely until they're outright victims of it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

get that OUT of my face posted:

the only good promoted tweet was the one that urged people to delete system32, which a few select idiots did

Every time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Back in school a lot of the kids I knew were basically Klingons for a while, but maybe that's just country kids. We ended up being told to stop because we wouldn't let the smaller kids join in.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think he's also one of the numerous woke video games personalities with persistent rumours of being a sex creep about to catch up to him. Then again, that seems to be nearly all of them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I recall the story of the gin and tonic being invented by British troops in India making their anti-malaria medicine more appealing.

I'm pretty sure the Long Island Iced Tea is a result of mixing all the leftovers of the liquor cabinet, to make the Captain Planet of drinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That's probably most cocktails, actually.

The Simpsons even had the episode where Homer becomes a bootlegger, and after exhausting his initial supply resorts to home-brewing alcohol with extremely varied results.