Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
https://vimeo.com/28355660

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKleQ1MXMCs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Not really woke, but still one of the weirdest bits of product placement ever:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

The Kingfish posted:

Starship Troopers was extremely woke, but I don't remember if that pic was from the good one or not.

That's from the Veerhoven classic when Casper Van Dien washes out of future bootcamp and calls his parents. 9 out of 10 future fascist governments agree that AT&T provides the most reliable telecommunications. Though as I recall, despite the fact mankind has developed faster than light travel, somehow the reception on AT&T's earth based communication grid still sucks.

I'm really curious how much AT&T paid for that product placement. It's the only example I can think of in the film.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Laphroaig posted:

I know not what dank snapchats and VR interactive ads the Meme War of 2020 will be fought with, but 2024 will be fought with progressive jpegs and animated gifs of a rotating skull.

:golfclap:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

It's never as bad as it seems

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

quote:

Michael Bloomberg

:negative:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Castigating a celebrity on twitter for failing to use their twitter account just seems like a round-about way of pretending that anything you yourself are doing on twitter is potentially consequential and relevant to actual journalism.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Looking forward to another page of meltdowns over this.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

get that OUT of my face posted:

people follow celebrities and their lives so that they can escape from the problems of society and their own lives. a great many americans don't give a poo poo about whether their favorite celebrity is on their side on a given political issue, so taylor swift actually has a lot to lose by doing this

thinkpiece media takes karl rove's strategy of making everything political and runs with it farther than he ever did. that's why you can't have news about celebrities, sports, and tv shows (three things people use as escapism) anymore without some self-important prick shoehorning social issues into it. most people don't give a gently caress that aroldis chapman is in the world series a year after shooting around his wife- indeed, they're watching it to forget about that sort of poo poo. but you'll never hear the end of it from sites like deadspin

The weirdest part of this post is that you don't seem to realize that politics itself is often a form of escapism and that it merges seamlessly into popular culture.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

an actual dog posted:

today's google doodle

:rock:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Fox is thought to have spent approximately 13 million on settling O'Reilly related sexual harassment lawsuits from five different women and this is hitting the news right after their long-time chairman Roger Ailes had to step down over multiple allegations of sexual harassment. This is hardly "all of a sudden", it's more like the pressure has built for so long that the dam is starting to break.