Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

also isn't the susan g komen foundation one of the shittiest of all charities in terms of donating to actual cancer research

like I read a few years ago all they do is pay themselves a bunch of money and use the rest to "raise awareness", they give like nothing to breast cancer research

More or less. They're pretty much the epitome of "non-profit as a brand before anything else", to the point where they'll flex their legal muscle at any other cancer charity that attempts to use "Cure" in its name, or even use pink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The Kingfish posted:

Mine is Coca-cola you worrthless piece of poo poo

if you ain't Pibb you ain't poo poo

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

lmao

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Fiction posted:

Hamilton is a perfectly good musical despite whitewashing a ton of poo poo about American history and the knee jerk reaction of nerds hating it after Hillary lost without having listened is funny to me. Did you really think the only people who liked it were the wealthy elites who could afford a scalped ticket?

I think they're the people who push it as even remotely significant, yes.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Business Gorillas posted:

im just thinking about the amount of economic and social security you need to have for "how people sit on trains" to even be on your hierarchy of needs pyramid

it's a weird thing in general. the women I know who get annoyed by it get annoyed from the perspective of "if I sat like that I'd be called a slut, likely to my face."

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Adventure Pigeon posted:

I like the Make America New York hat. I think it will resonate with voters.

is there a service animal for deaf people

cause i feel like the folks who came up with that are in need of one

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

So basically old rich white men discovered that the most basic level of social justice doesn't actually hurt them and actually makes for additional avenues to apply leverage.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Going after the ACLU there is honestly a head-scratching avenue to take.

Tho I fully confess the internet has broken me on this poo poo and I probably read that wrong

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MizPiz posted:

The so he follows the Justine Tunney school of leadership.

https://twitter.com/deray/status/370540137413087232

yikes @ deray

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Andorra posted:

I press shift 3 and instantly feel empowerment

new thread title, please

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Usually I'm the first to complain about yet another reimagining of Disney princesses, but this new take has me shook.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

got any sevens posted:

Thats the kind of poo poo that happens at amazon too, my sister used to work there.

Techbros are shitheads.

the nytimes I think did an article on how lovely amazon is and it annoyed me how quickly it seemed to get buried

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Oh Snapple! posted:

the nytimes I think did an article on how lovely amazon is and it annoyed me how quickly it seemed to get buried

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/technology/inside-amazon-wrestling-big-ideas-in-a-bruising-workplace.html?_r=0

fun excerpt:

quote:

Molly Jay, an early member of the Kindle team, said she received high ratings for years. But when she began traveling to care for her father, who was suffering from cancer, and cut back working on nights and weekends, her status changed. She was blocked from transferring to a less pressure-filled job, she said, and her boss told her she was “a problem.” As her father was dying, she took unpaid leave to care for him and never returned to Amazon.

“When you’re not able to give your absolute all, 80 hours a week, they see it as a major weakness,” she said.

A woman who had thyroid cancer was given a low performance rating after she returned from treatment. She says her manager explained that while she was out, her peers were accomplishing a great deal. Another employee who miscarried twins left for a business trip the day after she had surgery. “I’m sorry, the work is still going to need to get done,” she said her boss told her. “From where you are in life, trying to start a family, I don’t know if this is the right place for you.”

A woman who had breast cancer was told that she was put on a “performance improvement plan” — Amazon code for “you’re in danger of being fired” — because “difficulties” in her “personal life” had interfered with fulfilling her work goals. Their accounts echoed others from workers who had suffered health crises and felt they had also been judged harshly instead of being given time to recover.

A former human resources executive said she was required to put a woman who had recently returned after undergoing serious surgery, and another who had just had a stillborn child, on performance improvement plans, accounts that were corroborated by a co-worker still at Amazon. “What kind of company do we want to be?” the executive recalled asking her bosses.

The mother of the stillborn child soon left Amazon. “I had just experienced the most devastating event in my life,” the woman recalled via email, only to be told her performance would be monitored “to make sure my focus stayed on my job.”

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

a true leader

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Imagine MLK being followed everywhere by the same folks who make sure a full, untouched coke bottle is prominently displayed in front of a college football coach at post-game conferences

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

lmao

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Do you live in the black and white segments of an infomercial?

I feel like the second half of that post should have a THANKS OBAMA overlay

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

http://adage.com/images/random/0209/pepsi-arnell021109.pdf

can someone please let me know if this is fake. please, im losing my mind

as an ad major: its real. in fact the rule of thumb I'd go by in the future is that the more insufferable an ad-related document is, the more real it is.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

call to action posted:

Because being in client-side marketing is probably the best wage-to-difficulty ratio of nearly any job outside of finance

beyond just this, the actual work in advertising can be fun depending on the person and the actual job. I enjoy the research elements a lot, and copywriting can be fun in collaboration with a visual person.

that said I'm also trying to go into grant writing instead of advertising and am hoping I don't have actually have to work within my major :v: the culture is largely terrible.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

YASSSSS SLAY QUEEN

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

an actual dog posted:

Guys I've found it, the wokest brand.

quote:

Are you Woke?

Woke is independently owned. It embodies the spirit of true entrepreneurship and individuality. Feliciano's "take no poo poo, get poo poo done" mentality has boosted what was simply a vision, into a full-fledged self sustaining lifestyle brand that has the whole world #woke.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

quote:

What is Woke?

Founded by Claudia Feliciano, aka Snow Tha Product, Woke was an idea that originated from not being a sleepwalker through life and instead, being awakened and available to opportunity when that motherfucker shows up to your doorstep.

woke literally means anything at this point lol

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Im more comfortable with deray being that Subway dude from a couple of eps of Community, but real

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ahahahahah

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

FisheyStix posted:

You think that now but we'd get to the end of his term and have to do it all over again

:vince:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

PR folks are some of the most shameless people you'll find anywhere.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

So does it only let them buy poor people stuff? Because otherwise, :argh:

quote:

The discounted membership will have all the perks associated with Prime, including free streaming video and music, free photo storage, access to the Kindle lending library, ability to shop from Amazon’s Essentials – the retailer’s low-cost line of everyday products, access to Prime Now (where available), and more.

I know in my heart this isn't being offered from a place of genuine empathy, but hell, I hope the folks enjoy the cheap access.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

actually you'll find that the people working there have been carefully cultivated so as to have no other aspirations in life beyond working for amazon

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

FuzzySkinner posted:

A bigger problem than depression/suicide, drug use and homelessness?

That's the point, wanker. They're focusing on a spec of dust while ignoring the huge rear end plank in the eye.

they're focusing on what they're funded to focus on you dingus

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

LinYutang posted:

i'm pretty sure the samantha bee segregationist story is just leftist urban myth at this point

snopes says yer wrong http://www.snopes.com/samantha-bees-husband-school/

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

lol I like how every lovely thing done by a liberal these days gets attributed to "alt-right rumors taking hold."

Sam Bee and her husband decided to go against school integration because they care more about maintaining their affluence than the learning opportunities available to poor kids of various races. They might not have fought integration because they literally hate black people, but when the result they want fucks them over all the same, who gives a poo poo? They deserve all the flak they get for being selfish pricks.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I enjoyed his Black Pete segment, if only for the Frank Anne.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Venom Snake posted:

Wait what she's going to be fighting soviets in WW2? uh do the film makers realize who the soviets were fighting

he means instead of coming back for WW2 she's coming back during the cold war to fight soviets

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Wendy's is pretty much my choice for cheap fast food at this point.

Four for foooouuuurrrrrr

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

the only cane's in town is like right in the loving middle of campus and miserable to reach if you're not a student and it suuuuucks

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

i work in advertising and i write a lot of american corporate morals

im high af when im doing this guys

im high and drunk af

ive temporarily dodged the bullet of having to work in advertising and i am ridiculously grateful

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

i swear to loving god if i ever have to write the word "influencer" seriously ever again

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

"That she continues to support" also being a pretty big part of it.

If she'd just nope'd the gently caress out of all of that there'd be a much different view of her, I imagine. Instead she's complicit in and supportive of the IDF's poo poo.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

WampaLord posted:

So....thanks for the link proving me right? I saw no mention of concentration camps.

Look, I get it, militaries do bad poo poo, but you can't pull out :godwin: on everything and expect to be taken seriously.

For the record, I don't think Gadot is a feminist role model but neither is she a war criminal.

like does dropping white phosphorous on population centers not count as a war crime to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Do you have proof that Gal Gadot did that herself? Or is that just something the army did while she served and there's literally no proof that she was the one doing it?

it literally doesn't matter. she was complicit and continued to make the active choice to support the IDF after the fact knowing what they had done to civilians while she was serving.