Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
This poo poo comes out tomorrow!!! Discuss it here.

I'm picking up my copy at 8am. I already know the overall plot thanks to tumblr people not #keepingthesecret, though.

But remember to #KEEPTHESECRET in this thread by using spoiler tags I guess!

The cursed child is every kid who is expecting this to be a new novel rather than a script book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Got my copy. It's a pretty barebones book. Just the script, and a cast-list at the end (it spoils what characters show up, hence why no list of characters at the beginning).

This is just the rehearsal edition though. I'm thinking that the final edition (published next year) will have forewords and photos and production notes and all that cool stuff.

Reading the script is actually kind of cool, though. It's well written, both the dialogue and the stage directions.The characters feel right.

I'm not far in so far, but they went a cool direction with Albus Potter. His story is quite compelling.

Edit: Perfect example about how even the stage directions feel well written:

"There's a silence. A perfect, profound silence. One that sits low, twists a bit and has damage within it."

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
What's worse, this or Methods of Rationality?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I thought the scene where Draco is talking about loneliness was kinda moving. Draco in general is interesting in this. 20 years removed from the bluster of teenagehood and the influence of his father and the other death eaters. He might be the standout character in this story - him and his son.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Blackchamber posted:

Thats the sucky part. I'm sure the play is interesting to watch, but a majority of the fans of Harry Potter books will never see it and this book as a stand-alone is all we'll get and judge it by.

They could film the play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Momomo posted:

I'm just starting it and I've gotten a bit past where Albus and Scorpius talk to Amos in the old folks home. I don't really watch plays, so I find myself kind of confused at these two-page scenes. Wouldn't they have to set all the props up each time the scene changes? That seems kind of annoying when they're doing it dozens of times.

I'm guessing different parts of the stage are lit up with mini-sets for the current scene, while the parts of the stage in darkness are having their scenery changed.

• Locked thread