Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The 'what did you expect from Harry Potter?' stuff is really irritating. The plot of this was nothing like the novels at all. The books have (surprisingly deep) internally consistent rules that add a huge amount of richness and flavour of the world, and this story throws so many of those out of the window. I know it's a different medium and can't be 100% faithful, but a lot of it comes across as lazy.

The novels also have far, far better plots. Back to the Future 2/chaos theory time travel stories are so done to death and reek of 'made for TV sequel' material. When the books dabbled in time travel they felt so much more restrained.

Ah well. As others have said it'd be really interesting to see it play out on stage, it read like there would've been some pretty impressive special effects. I can't say I'm surprised that the plot's so lacking, but a story this dirt simple and tropey could've easily fit into a single 2 hour play. Hearing it was a two-parter gave me the impression that it'd have some meat on its bones.

I tried to buy tickets last week, but I entered the queue at position 120,000 or so. Maybe it'll actually be possible to see this thing in 2025.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread