Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

https://a.pomf.cat/evahrs.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

redhead going berserk was a pretty cool scene, i enjoyed that

i hope that one day ikta gets matched up against an enemy general who isn't called/acts like an incompetent moron every other scene.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

I'm also somewhat amused that people thought he should have trouble in this fight. It is literally a mediocre captain trying to bully some cadets in what he considers a practice exercise with a foregone conclusion. By the time he realized the other side was treating it as an actual battle, he was far out of position and off-balance -and it's not like his troops themselves were particularly better. If Ikta had serious difficulty with this fight after those sorts of advantages, it'd be kind of hard to even remotely realistically portray him as a threat if they ever do come up against an actual heavily skilled enemy commander.

There are plenty of issues with this work, both inherent to the LN itself and added in the anime, but the number of things people who watched only the first episode then claimed they "clearly" knew what was coming was hilariously stupid..

it'd be cool if he got to fight someone who wasn't a mediocre captain, was what i was saying.

Lord Koth posted:

There are plenty of issues with this work, both inherent to the LN itself and added in the anime, but the number of things people who watched only the first episode then claimed they "clearly" knew what was coming was hilariously stupid..

who said anything like this??????

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

are you talking about people on reddit or something? i don't get it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

It's still basic training, and a war seems to be imminent (or already started). All the known officers with significant strategic/tactical skills have almost certainly been pulled to active fronts, or at the very least to an equivalent to the US War College. Any such major challenge would have only occurred if they were introducing some sort of rival on the same side. Hell, if you want to get into fine details, Yatori herself is almost as good as him at tactics, as well as all the topics she beats him in. It's just that she wasn't in charge, and the one who was basically ignored all advice he was being given.

ah yes, ikta and redhair, two first years, are the only competent students in this military training academy, and there's no reason to think that someone with multiple more years of training could even start to put up a fight

i mean it's fine that ikta's better than the other students, but it'd be much more interesting to watch his battles if the enemy could, say, come up with a clever counter-response to his clever plans. an actual back and forth in the conflict would be pretty great, and "ikta faces an upperclassman in the training academy" would've been a good way to establish that worthwile people besides the main characters exist, even if the main characters are better. instead, ikta just stomps the guy effortlessly, which is kind of amusing the first time but it'll be dumb if that's every fight for the rest of the season.

Lord Koth posted:

edit: I get what you're saying, but in some ways him getting challenged at this specific point would have come off as even more unbelievable - just added for that exact reason.

how would this make it less believable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it's not unreasonable but it doesn't make for a terribly interesting clash of wits either

• Locked thread