Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:
You know, I've always wanted to give the Hunting Horn a spin, but the lack of cutting damage is sadly a dealbreaker most of the time. In 3U, I stuck with a Longsword, and then in 4U I fell in love with the charge blade, since it basically does everything you could ever want. Gunning definitely has a place, but it's absurdly difficult on your own.

Still, I'm looking forward to the rest of this thread. This was my first Monster Hunter game, so some of these monsters are still my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Here we go! Hunted monsters from Episodes 1 and Episode 2 (click on the name to be taken to a wiki page):

Jaggi:
Concept Art:
Species: Bird Wyvern
Information: Highly social, carnivorous bird wyverns that live in large packs. Young Jaggi males hunt in groups when attacking larger animals, and have been known to steal wyvern eggs. Research suggest they operate under orders from a single alpha male.
Threat Level: ★★

Jaggia:
Concept Art:
Information: Female Jaggi that stay in groups, Jaggia generally cluster around the nest to defend it and raise whelps. Smaller than mature males, but larger than and tougher than the countless young males. Jaggia also operate under an alphas orders.

Great Jaggi:
Concept Art:
Information: The commanding alpha male of Jaggi packs. Most males leave the group upon reaching maturity, returning to compete with others. The dominant male then becomes a Great Jaggi. Apparently, they can issue fairly complex orders via howling.
Threat Level: ★★★

Ludroth:
Concept Art:
Species: Leviathan
Information: Aquatic female monsters. Ludroth form "harems" around large males, hence gathering in territories designated as breeding grounds. They are known to be extremely aggressive towards outsiders; caution is advised.

Altaroth:
Concept Art:
Species: Neopteron
Information: Insects that wildly inhabit many areas. Noted for absorbing fruit, mushrooms, and honey, then carrying them back to the nest. Materials can thus be collected from their swollen abdomens, whose color is related to what is being carried.
Threat Level: ★

Aptonoth:
Concept Art:
Species: Herbivore
Information: Relatively docile herbivores with characteristic crest plates. They form herds and raise young communally, and have been used as pack animals for generations; their meat is tasty and nutritious. Very cautious around large monsters.

Epioth

Species: Herbivore
Information: Submissive, water-dwelling herbivores that subsist on water grasses and moss. Epioth surface frequently to sunbathe. Extremely timid, they panic when danger is present, swimming about in haphazard fashion.

Renders/icons/Monster List excerpts from Monster Hunter Wikia.

TenWren fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 4, 2016

zenemarch
Oct 20, 2012
It's so wonderful to see another post-hunt, pre-hunt, all the time prancer. Prance is a good emote for good people.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
I do love the way you edited those early missions. Literal smash cutting was a great idea.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Wordybird posted:

I do love the way you edited those early missions. Literal smash cutting was a great idea.

If you edit an egg-straction in the same way you're dead to me though. Cowboy up and carry egg :colbert:

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Skippy Granola posted:

If you edit an egg-straction in the same way you're dead to me though. Cowboy up and carry egg :colbert:

Wish granted. Monkey's paw wish.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?
I can't believe the next video is just 50 real time uncut minutes of failing egg-straction

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
First legit use of facecam as Shlapi has to balance an egg on his nose while he gets the egg in the game.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
It's him balancing an egg on his Wii U gamepad while playing. :ssh:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Demanding picture-in-picture EggCam (tm)

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Look, I'm already leaving an egg quest unedited, that's torment enough.

There won't be eggs in the next video.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

:siren:UPDATE:siren:

We've got three videos lined up today. Start yourself off with this brief explanation of skill points and armor skills. They're super important to know about early on, and even more crucial as the game goes on, so we're going to start looking right away for some skills to complement our incredibly fashionable hunting style.

But, we can't just talk about that and not hunt something with our nice new armor, so let's capture a bear and absolutely not mess it up at all. Capturing monsters is a great way to get yourself some rarer materials from them and can also make hunts a little easier to finish once you get it down.

Finally, here's an explanation of charm tables and harvest tours. Charm tables are an important part of Monster Hunter, since they determine which charms you can get, but due to a bug in 3U, you only get one when you make your character instead of being put on a different one each time you load the game. Knowing about that and trying to influence which one you get can :siren:negatively impact the game for you:siren: so maybe consider starting here if you want to just get to the bit about harvest tours.

Updates are going to start being anywhere from monday to wednesday each week, depending on if I have everything ready. Definitely will continue updating weekly, but my work schedule is a little all over the place right now, so who knows!

E: Here's the fish finder tool.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 9, 2016

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
My mind blocked out the existence of cha-cha

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

Pay dearly for your hubris

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Man I remember when I first learned about the charm table bug once I was practically done with half the offline quests in 3U. After a bit of research, I discovered that I just happened to have one of the shittier ones :frog:

honestly was probably better off not knowing

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

For real, if you're having fun with the game and think you're gonna be okay not knowing, you're almost certainly better off not knowing. Thankfully the bug doesn't exist in 4U and Generations, so you can completely forget about it in those games.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I'm thankful that when my friend got me into this specific iteration of the game (my only MH game ever), he earned and helped me with the charm table. Though, at the time, we didn't realize it was a bug and not an actual part of gameplay, so we spent time cursing Capcom's name.

I wanna play generations. It looks good. And I want this game to work online for 3DS. The fun I'm missing is palpable.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

HUBRIS

I'm finding it hard to hear your voices mid combat, though :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

also do not trust the shakalaka (skip to 2m36s if it doesn't do it for you)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p7a1K8q6Es&t=156s

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Hunted monsters from Episode 3 (click on the name to be taken to a wiki page):

Arzuros:
Concept Art:
Species: Fanged Beast
Information: Forest-and mountain-dwelling beasts found in humid regions. Though known more for fishing and standing upright to collect honey, their thick claws and heavy forearm plating allow them to deliver powerful blows to any aggressor.
Threat Level: ★★★

Renders/icons/Monster List excerpts from Monster Hunter Wikia.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

I legitimately love that big dumb honeybear. One of the biggest downfalls of Generations is the lack of monster intros. The ones in 3 and 4 did such a fine job of introducing the personality of the monster as a creature in nature, as opposed to just The Next Target.

In fact, that's part of the appeal for me, and it's one that God Eater and Toukiden both lack. The monsters all feel real, and we have a tough but fair fight to take them down.

Then we take some goodies and use the rest to build ships, houses, and sandwiches.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So All monster hunter games (I dont know if the first few did) give you a little companion to help you in solo play.
Usually it's a felyne, and they dont get any, or much, lines of dialogue or importance.
They're also all adorable and you can dress them up in armor that you get the pieces for pro bono when creating your own armor.
So you can go out in your giant dragon armor with your little buddy also in giant dragon armor:

In this one they give you cha cha. who is terrible.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The Switch Axe does indeed own, pretty sure I used it the whole time I played 3U.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

So All monster hunter games (I dont know if the first few did) give you a little companion to help you in solo play.
Usually it's a felyne, and they dont get any, or much, lines of dialogue or importance.
They're also all adorable and you can dress them up in armor that you get the pieces for pro bono when creating your own armor.
So you can go out in your giant dragon armor with your little buddy also in giant dragon armor:

Counterpoint: I would rather listen to Cha-cha's weird tribal babbles for an hour non-stop than ever hear the awful Felyne sounds. They're so grating and so frequent that they became an in-joke between my wife and me.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Skippy Granola posted:

I legitimately love that big dumb honeybear. One of the biggest downfalls of Generations is the lack of monster intros. The ones in 3 and 4 did such a fine job of introducing the personality of the monster as a creature in nature, as opposed to just The Next Target.

In fact, that's part of the appeal for me, and it's one that God Eater and Toukiden both lack. The monsters all feel real, and we have a tough but fair fight to take them down.

Then we take some goodies and use the rest to build ships, houses, and sandwiches.

One of my favorite things about Monster Hunter's setting is how much of the world is built out of giant dead dragons and dinosaurs. Like, sure, they can work steel and all kinds of other ores, but these materials are better. Just, uh, harder to mine on account of the giant screamy wyvern trying to kill you and objecting to how badly you need his bones for structural supports.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

C-Euro posted:

The Switch Axe does indeed own, pretty sure I used it the whole time I played 3U.

Counterpoint: I would rather listen to Cha-cha's weird tribal babbles for an hour non-stop than ever hear the awful Felyne sounds. They're so grating and so frequent that they became an in-joke between my wife and me.

Double Counterpoint:

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Is the joke that one of you makes inhuman screeches as the other harvests Machalite ore outside the house?

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

I straight-up refused to use Cha-Cha as long as I possibly could because I absolutely hated him the moment I saw him. I only started using him once the game forced me to.

This led to an entertaining period of me getting used to occasionally having a meatshield around because I'd been completely soloing every monster up to that point.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I'm honestly loving this so far. I never actually sunk that much time into the Monhun games, but this LP is really putting me in the mood to start really playing one. I've actually got all of the 3DS games, but I'm probably going to just dig into the 3rd one to match the LP unless it's recommended I start with a different game.

Bellophon
Sep 26, 2012
While they're all good in different ways, you should probably start with 4U.

It's the first game to have tutorial quests for each weapon, and has cat-friends instead Cha Cha.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I'd actually say it would be best to start with 3U, then when you feel like it's starting to wear, switch to 4U with some Generations on the side. 4U is the best game in the series, and if you play it first, it may make the other games less appealing, which is not to say that 3U or Generations are bad by comparison, just that 4U is so monumentally good that 3U or Generations just won't be able to stand up to it.

I've been playing a lot of Generations recently, though, and it's pretty neat, although I feel it makes the player too strong relative to the monsters. It's especially weird coming from 4U, which just feels so well balanced.

zA Zombie
Dec 31, 2011

Shlapintogan posted:

I feel it makes the player too strong relative to the monsters.
Sadly, that is exactly what Generations did. With a full team of decent players, fights tend to last 5 to 10 minutes even at higher ranks. The only difficulty increase I've seen so far is when they decide to just throw another monster or two into it, but that only makes the quest take a couple more minutes instead.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I havent played anything past portable 3rd so whats so awesome about 4U?
I though MhGen/X was the best so far

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 14, 2016

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

I havent played anhthing past 3G so whats so awesome about 4U?
I though MhGen/X was the best so far

MonHun Gen. is probably my favorite so far for solo play (Aerial Style actually makes Heavy Bowgun FUN in a solo setting) but a party of four decent people make mincemeat of almost all the content. While I had problems with both 3U and 4U's endgames (gently caress Apex monsters and Wystones. Brought down an otherwise excellent G-rank experience in 4U) and I've only gotten so far in MHG at this point, I can't imagine Aerial or Adept styles not trivializing a vast majority of the older monsters- especially aerial style, since a lot of the non-flying monsters have no good ways of dealing with an airborne hunter, and the general lower HP of monsters hold up very poorly to being mounted 3+ times in five minutes.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

What's definitely clear is you'll have a hard time going back to 3U after 4U. The new weapons - insect glaive and charge blade - are really excellent, and they added some cool mechanics to the rest of the weapons that are hard to live without.

Case in point I cannot play Longsword in 3U just because they hadn't invented the run-in slash after a fade slash evade.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

Mr. Locke posted:

MonHun Gen. is probably my favorite so far for solo play (Aerial Style actually makes Heavy Bowgun FUN in a solo setting) but a party of four decent people make mincemeat of almost all the content. While I had problems with both 3U and 4U's endgames (gently caress Apex monsters and Wystones. Brought down an otherwise excellent G-rank experience in 4U) and I've only gotten so far in MHG at this point, I can't imagine Aerial or Adept styles not trivializing a vast majority of the older monsters- especially aerial style, since a lot of the non-flying monsters have no good ways of dealing with an airborne hunter, and the general lower HP of monsters hold up very poorly to being mounted 3+ times in five minutes.

I think I have to agree. 4U really engaged me in a way that Gen isn't - While the hunter arts and different styles definitely make the game feel a lot more dynamic (drat is it satisfying to catch the monster with the tip of a full-phial Energy Blade right as they charge at you), Hunting in groups makes even the really difficult monsters completely trivial. Especially if someone brings Aerial Switchaxe. (Also, I agree, Apex monsters were a really bad idea. You know what's fun? Making the player only able to fight the monster only 1/4 of the time!)

Mostly, I find it's highlighting the poor design of older monsters and areas. Honestly, since it's the first game in the series I've ever played I probably have a bias towards 3U's areas and monsters, but I still think that 3U has some of the best, most interesting areas and monsters, and it's a shame that we didn't get anything other than Deserted Island and Misty Peaks in Generations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Skippy Granola posted:

What's definitely clear is you'll have a hard time going back to 3U after 4U. The new weapons - insect glaive and charge blade - are really excellent, and they added some cool mechanics to the rest of the weapons that are hard to live without.

Case in point I cannot play Longsword in 3U just because they hadn't invented the run-in slash after a fade slash evade.

:stare: My god

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I'm fine with endgame in generations being cake considering some of the endgame monsters in 4U were a waking nightmare.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

:siren:UPDATE:siren:

The (Intentionally) Bad Hunt

So far I've been pretty good about going on hunts with everything I needed, but what if I was doing this blind? In this update we take a look at what a hunt might look like if you don't keep on top of your equipment and items.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Quick correction: Bouncing actually doesn't do any less damage, though it does drain twice the durability.

Though if you're bouncing off a part, that generally means you're doing really poor damage anyway, and you're attacking a part with a really low damage modifier.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Miijhal posted:

Quick correction: Bouncing actually doesn't do any less damage, though it does drain twice the durability.

Though if you're bouncing off a part, that generally means you're doing really poor damage anyway, and you're attacking a part with a really low damage modifier.

UNLESS YOURE A HAMMER :getin:

• Locked thread