Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Ahh yes. The foe I nicknamed Yelling Bird, after the Jeph Jacque's character of the same name. Why? Because they're both assholes, and they're both loud as hell. Also, fun fact: Although MonHun Portable 3rd and MonHun 3/Ultimate are, in fact, different games, they introduce Qurupeco in almost exactly the same way. There's a Great Jaggi, and Qurupeco makes friends. Because, let's face it, Great Jaggis and their hipchecks are assholes too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Learn to love the goddam Qurupeco because you need his goddam beak breaks for everything.

I'm a little sad they replaced him with the similar but more boring Great Maccao in Generations

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

At least in 4U and Generations we still get Yian Kut Ku, who is indisputably the best.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Counterpoint: Yian Kut Ku is the absolute worst, and I hate it. Anything with a hitbox three times larger than itself should not exist.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Countercounterpoint: Yian Kut Ku is a cute chicken thing that falls all over the place, and it's a shame you have to kill them.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

MachuPikacchu posted:

Counterpoint: Yian Kut Ku is the absolute worst, and I hate it. Anything with a hitbox three times larger than itself should not exist.

The second two hitboxes are the guilt and shame you feel when you try to attack and kill such a majestic creature.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Hunted monsters from Episode 4 (click on the name to be taken to a wiki page):

Qurupeco:
Concept Art:
Species: Bird Wyvern
Information: Bird Wyverns with unique plumage. Well known for using their thoracic vocal organs to imitate others monsters calls, first summoning them, then using the distraction to flee. The creature spits a dangerous body fluid that can lower one's Resistance.
Threat Level: Not listed.

Rhenoplos:
Concept Art:
Species: Colossal Shitheel Herbivore
Information: Extremely territorial herbivores with poor vision, but very acute hearing. Rhenoplos will doggedly pursue any nearby target they sense. They often collide into boulders, perhaps because they cannot easily stop once they begin to run.
Threat Level: ★★

Renders/Monster List excerpts from Monster Hunter Wikia.

TenWren fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 17, 2016

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Did you know Rhenoplos become magnetically attracted to you the nanosecond you start using an item? It's true!

Narahari
Apr 12, 2009
It's what makes hero shield so cathartic in generations. Did the arena quest with 30 konchu and just stood in the middle prancing for a while as they passed harmlessly through me. Rhenoplos are also 75% more likely to hit you the moment you charge an attack on a downed large monster's vulnerable little face.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Oh hey I see you are trying to carve. Mind if I take a closer look?

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Okay but at least 3U doesn't have: A.) Konchu or B.) Bullfango

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Very,very surprised that Generations didn't make a Rhenodrome monster to fight, they've already got Bulldrome though so i suppose it would essentially be the same fight.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

I hope the next game has a Konchudrome.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

This is a great, chill lp. I love the smash cuts

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

MachuPikacchu posted:

Countercounterpoint: Yian Kut Ku owns and is a derpy little chicken thing and that is funny

his garuga cousin is not so funny

SpookBus
Aug 22, 2015
This thread inspired me to pick up Generations, and Cephaladrome made me very angry with his running away constantly. The game is real good though, I stabbed some crabs and made myself a cool sword.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
Cephadrome and his big cousins Plesioth and Lavasioth are horrible.

Stab more crabs instead.

SpookBus
Aug 22, 2015
I killed him already, and now dealing with Nibelsnarf, who I hate even more, I've burned at least 50 potions on this piece of crap, not to mention the whetstones. Biggest issue is this dingleberry hurling himself back and forth across the room, and then diving under the sand for an age of the world, where he launches himself into my undercarriage with gusto. I'd just leave him if he wasn't a key quest.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
Nibelsnarf is a lot easier if you can make it eat a Barrel Bomb or two. When it's stunned from that you can put away your weapon and literally fish it out of the sand with your fishing rod to get something like a good 20 seconds to wail on it, at least in Low Rank.

SpookBus
Aug 22, 2015
Well poo poo, guess it's time to make bombs and fishing rods.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
They actually give you a couple of Barrel Bombs in the on-site supply box(The Blue Box in the main camp) for it. And you don't need fishing stuff you have one by default. Buuuut this probably isn't the place for MH Generations discussion.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Rau's about to go Big Brother Barbarian on some motherfuckers, that's for sure.
I got MH4U last year for a discount on my 3DS and I love it. gently caress Gore Magala, though.

I got Generations for my birthday five days ago, though, and i've been more or less addicted. I tend to exclusively use the longsword, personally. Not entirely sure why, but I just love how it feels.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.

DetectiveDorian posted:

I got MH4U last year for a discount on my 3DS and I love it. gently caress Gore Magala, though.

I got Generations for my birthday five days ago, though, and i've been more or less addicted. I tend to exclusively use the longsword, personally. Not entirely sure why, but I just love how it feels.

Loving how a weapon feels is all the reason 'why' you need for using it ^_^ I didn't get that feeling until I picked up Insect Glaive in 4U and I'm loving it in Gen. Longsword isn't bad though. And hammer. Hammer is Good.

SpookBus
Aug 22, 2015
I'm alternating with longsword and greatsword, and I got Nibelsnarf in two tries after I started using barrel bombs, now never fight him again unless/until I'm forced to or his stupid body parts make me an amazing weapon/armor set.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

SpookBus posted:

I'm alternating with longsword and greatsword, and I got Nibelsnarf in two tries after I started using barrel bombs, now never fight him again unless/until I'm forced to or his stupid body parts make me an amazing weapon/armor set.

I just now did the Nibelsnarf quest and yes. It is a sand-burrowing pain in my rear end.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Nibelsnarf is the best and I will hear nothing to the contrary

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So this lp got me to start playing this again, and i forgot why i stopped right up until i had to fight the duramboros, is it normal for a fight against him to take 35 minutes?

Also this lp is incredibly good, because you cut all of the boring parts at the start down a ton and made the best use of smash cuts i have seen in a while.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Ideally I'll have the next update up for Monday, but it may have to be Tuesday. I hope you are ready for the triumphant return of the hunting horn.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
This is a good thread and a good LP of a game I didn't finish and technically Capcom didn't finish either. Keep on keeping on and please show people how to use those buy guys to get things

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

:siren:UPDATE:siren:

First up we have Ludroth 2: Ludroth Harder, the much anticipated sequel to Ludroth 1: Water Assholes. Following that we have a fight with our first brute wyvern. Brute Wyverns are sacks of HP that take forever to kill if you aren't properly set up. Thankfully, this fight also marks the triumphant return of the bagpipe so we are honestly the most prepared.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
This thread is now a Kenny Rogers Appreciation Station.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

If you're playing Monster Hunter, looking stuff up on Kiranico is almost mandatory. Once you're well into the game and you have to grind/scavenge for specific things it helps a ton.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

3U was my first Monster Hunter and i remember at the time Barroth was considered a pretty big wall for most new players.

I was one of them :v:

I don't believe that Qurupeco quest you did in an earlier video is strictly mandatory but the Barroth quest is, so the game is REALLY hammering by this point that maybe you should get out of your starting armor and upgrade your weapons shithead. Trying to take down Barroth with a yellow sharpness Hammer was probably the first big epic moment i had in a Monster Hunter game, and only because i brought it upon myself.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

No.

MachuPikacchu posted:

If you're playing Monster Hunter, looking stuff up on Kiranico is almost mandatory. Once you're well into the game and you have to grind/scavenge for specific things it helps a ton.

By the way, here's the Kiranico hub for MH3U in case you're playing along with the LP!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

3U was my first Monster Hunter and i remember at the time Barroth was considered a pretty big wall for most new players.

I was one of them :v:

I don't believe that Qurupeco quest you did in an earlier video is strictly mandatory but the Barroth quest is, so the game is REALLY hammering by this point that maybe you should get out of your starting armor and upgrade your weapons shithead. Trying to take down Barroth with a yellow sharpness Hammer was probably the first big epic moment i had in a Monster Hunter game, and only because i brought it upon myself.

Qurupeco is a Key Quest, so I'd have to do that to unlock the 3-star Urgent Quest. Barroth and Royal Ludroth were also Key, so I would've had to do all three of them even if I wasn't showing off every monster for the LP. I did Qurupeco first when I first played through the game, and I was an idiot and thought to myself "I'm going to make a hammer out of this Barroth thing so I can come back with a green sharpness weapon and really give this bird the business", so I can sympathize with trying to literally hammer out a Barroth with yellow sharpness.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 24, 2016

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Jeez, getting a green sharpness weapon is a gamechanger and feels like a huge achievement.

I really love the early part of monster hunter games. Everything feels so fresh and new without being overly challenging. Once you get into high rank, the game turns into a little bit of a treadmill. Never mind G rank.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I would just like to add that I came across this Twitter account yesterday.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

MachuPikacchu posted:

I would just like to add that I came across this Twitter account yesterday.

This is a good-rear end twitter.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Hunted monsters from Episode 5 (click on the name to be taken to a wiki page):

Royal Ludroth:
Concept Art:
Species: Leviathan
Information: Royal Ludroth use their sponge-like neck scales to absorb water and keep from drying out on land. Once the sponge loses moisture, they attempt to re-enter the water. They also spew mucus to trip up their prey.

Barroth:
Concept Art:
Species: Brute Wyvern
Information: Barroth usually remain beneath the mud, perhaps to shield themselves from heat; they are even known to attack by flinging mud. They will charge in a frenzy at anything that disturbs their bogs.
Additional Info (pulled from interview):

quote:

Q: How did you decide on Barroth's behaviors and lifestyle?
A: For the design, I thought of a bulldozer clearing away sand and dirt and combined it with the motif of a caterpillar's carapace. It was decided that the creature lives in bogs, so I figured that it would approach its prey covered in dirt and mud to hide its body. That's when I put the nostrils on top of its head, so that it could still breathe even when submerged in mud. (Shuhei Kurose, Modeling Section Leader)

Renders/Monster List excerpts from Monster Hunter Wikia.

TenWren fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 27, 2016

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

:aaa:

I literally only just put together that the Barroth has nostrils on top of its head, like many dinosaurs seemed to have. I was just confused when, watching the video, there was what I thought was smoke puffing out of its scalp.

I feel mildly stupid, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
I admit the the Barroth gave me a fair bit of trouble, but in the end the Duramcopter caused me to give up on the game and move onto 4U.

• Locked thread