Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

When I played Tri I just did everything with a Greatsword because I liked the Greatsword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

kirbysuperstar posted:

Don't forget the two words that must never be uttered together. "Fashion hunter".

Sorry, what? I couldn't hear those two words that are still a legit thing you can do because I was too busy being GARGWAMAN, DEFENDER OF THE PEOPLE (MonHun Portable 3rd image)

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
It never ceases to amaze me what kind of horrible eyesores that you can assemble in the Monster Hunter games.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Don't forget the two words that must never be uttered together. "Fashion hunter".

gently caress that. Fashion is the only hunt worthy of our time and efforts.

Anyway, normally I'd get pissy about people claiming sub-optimality too, but gently caress underwater gameplay. If lance is good there, then I'll consider it myself since I love lance. That being said, hammer works super well underwater, meaning hunting horn must as well. Hell, I actually never thought of giving myself movement speed up underwater, that must be super useful.

I also never knew you could use bombs underwater. Bounce bombs becoming torpedos is loving ace.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

As someone who finally, FINALLY reached G Rank in MH4U after 200 hours, here's to moving on to High Rank! Time to get some pickles!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

JamieTheD posted:

I sometimes really dislike the "Sub-Optimal" crowd. Can't wait for somebody to do MHGen so folks see that "sub-optimal" can also mean enjoyable (Shoutout to everybody who just uses Aerial Style to kickflip off their friends.) Or heck, even "challenging yourself" (I'mma try and take down this monster I have to hunt for parts... But this time, I'll use... THING to up my skills!)

Basically, sod optimal play in so many ways.

As a gal who runs Aerial Dual Blades just because it's fun as poo poo, heck yeah. Also cat, of course.

And if Fashion Hunting is wrong, I don't want to be right!

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

JamieTheD posted:

I sometimes really dislike the "Sub-Optimal" crowd. Can't wait for somebody to do MHGen so folks see that "sub-optimal" can also mean enjoyable (Shoutout to everybody who just uses Aerial Style to kickflip off their friends.) Or heck, even "challenging yourself" (I'mma try and take down this monster I have to hunt for parts... But this time, I'll use... THING to up my skills!)

Basically, sod optimal play in so many ways.

There was a guy commenting on (I think) one of Gaijin Hunter's videos for 4U who would just call people scrubs for using certain armour sets (mainly the G-Rank Seregios one) and skills because he didn't feel they were that good and that people who used them just sucked. He'd then boast about how he was able to do everything up to G2 solo. His comments just made me think that if he's that much of an arse on the internet, I'm probably not going to have fun playing with him because he'd just point out things I was doing that he didn't think were correct.

Especially since I used that Seregios armour as well, especially when fighting the Seregios.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

G-Rank Seregios armor is really good. Like, just nonsensically good. You can get some better results out of mixed sets, but as far as G-Rank stuff goes in 4U, that set is up there.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I was gonna say, G-Rank Seregios is often regarded as the first set you should try to build upon reaching G. Monster Hunter try-hards are insane to me. Like, really? You're gonna be a weird troll in this aggressively social team game?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nude starting S&S no hit no dodge no meat no run G-rank runs

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Shlapintogan posted:

G-Rank Seregios armor is really good. Like, just nonsensically good. You can get some better results out of mixed sets, but as far as G-Rank stuff goes in 4U, that set is up there.

deadly_pudding posted:

I was gonna say, G-Rank Seregios is often regarded as the first set you should try to build upon reaching G. Monster Hunter try-hards are insane to me. Like, really? You're gonna be a weird troll in this aggressively social team game?

I think the Gypceros set was the first G-Rank set I went for just because I found it easy to kill them for some reason. Then I went Shrouded Nerscylla before finally getting the Seregios set. It's kinda like the Akantor R set in Generations. Once you get it, you never look back.

As for the weird trolls, yeah, I don't understand the sheer elitism of some people. Congratulations, you're able to do things without using certain weapons and armours. I think I'll be fine with using those things and you know, having fun with my friends that play this with me.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Happy new year everyone, it's time for an

:siren:UPDATE:siren:

So I think it's time to solve The Pickle Mystery.

This is the first update where we do missions in High Rank, where everything gets a little bit harder, but the money and equipment gets so, so much better. We also get introduced to our new best friend for the rest of eternity.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Oh. That monster. A large reason I stopped playing 3U.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Let's Play Monster Hunter 3U: Jho Jho's Bizarre Adventure.

Deviljho is such a well-designed monster that I'm sad I never got to far through HR here. It's just a T-Rex except made out of nightmares, it does such a good job of invoking fear. Also its music is totally inspired by Rite of Spring (the dinosaur segment from the original Fantasia) and that kind of owns.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I remember a quest in 4U that was "Collect X amount of heavy rocks and deliver them to home". It was an online quest so myself and two friends were playing it together. One of us was on a normal 3DS, I was on a new XL, and the other friend was on a 2DS. The guy on the 2DS was carrying a rock through an area and then said to us "Guys, why has my framerate gone terrible?", before turning round and being face to face with a roaring Deviljho.

I think he was more annoyed that the roar made him drop the rock though.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I have a tradition when I introduce new people to Monster Hunter and that is to do my absolute best to hide the existence of Deviljho from them until they get properly introduced.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Shlapintogan posted:

I have a tradition when I introduce new people to Monster Hunter and that is to do my absolute best to hide the existence of Deviljho from them until they get properly introduced.

My friends did that to me! In fact, one of them deliberately ate for the food skill that... either makes the environment unstable or guarantees the 'Jo will show up in an unstable. I was not pleased. :mad:

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

My friends did that to me! In fact, one of them deliberately ate for the food skill that... either makes the environment unstable or guarantees the 'Jo will show up in an unstable. I was not pleased. :mad:

That's such a dick move.

I'm definitely doing that next time I play with someone new.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I always cook my steak now to medium rare (130), pull it off the grill and let it sit for 5 minutes on a pan.

Hits that perfect point just rarer than medium without going medium rare. It'll get to like 135, which is perfect

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Shlapintogan posted:

No one ever told me about The Pickle. I found out when doing an HR hunt with a friend. The worst part was that it spawned in the same area I was currently in.

"Nope, no Rathalos here...hey there's something weird coming out of the gr--HOLY poo poo WHAT IS THIS TH- *cart*"

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
So I had read about the Great Angry Pickle back when I played 3U. I never got far enough to get to it, so I just noted the stories of this terrorbeast and moved on.

Then I do an online quest in 4U in the Frozen Seaway. Don't even remember what the quest was, just that everyone's split up looking for the thing we're hunting and I entered one of the caves and ran smack into it.

I've never noped faster out of an area in my life. Told the G-rank player leading our party what had happened and he just laughed and said yeah, running was the smart option.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I like how Generations subverts the whole Angry Pickle Ambush tm by having all the villages having a quest where 1 of the new monsters jumps you while you're doing a completely different quest. Every time as well the quest desk girl is like NOPE THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS INNOCENT GATHERING/KILL SMALL MONSTER QUEST NO SIR.

But then they surprise you with the left hook which is the ending of that game which really just has to be experienced to be believed :allears:

To talk about the game we're playing right now. Deviljho also has the same absurd amount of health/defense that Lagiacrus has when he jumps you in Low Rank so don't even think you can take him at this time.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I like how Generations subverts the whole Angry Pickle Ambush tm by having all the villages having a quest where 1 of the new monsters jumps you while you're doing a completely different quest. Every time as well the quest desk girl is like NOPE THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS INNOCENT GATHERING/KILL SMALL MONSTER QUEST NO SIR.

When I first ran into Gammoth that way, I was pretty surprised. Then when I ran into a sleeping Astalos while I was sent to steal its eggs, I realised what was going on. The Mizutsune mission followed, and by the time I got to the "Deliver 8 Abyssal Mushrooms" and the Bherna Gal said basically what you said, I immediately said out loud to myself "Yeah, Glavenus is showing up in this one, isn't he?"

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I picked up playing Generations again late last month and I guess I left off after hitting High Rank. I'd say what I've been hunting but it's technically a spoiler for this game. :v:

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

:siren:STREAM:siren:

I want to get a blue sharpness weapon and some new armor before I go any further in high rank, so join me here as I attempt to get it.

eta: I'm doing multiplayer as well, gonna go ahead and get to high rank over there.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 22, 2017

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Triple post, but :ducksiren: UPDATE... sort of:ducksiren:

If you missed the stream on Saturday, here is the rest of low rank multiplayer in convenient youtube form.

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

Shlapintogan posted:

Triple post, but :ducksiren: UPDATE... sort of:ducksiren:

If you missed the stream on Saturday, here is the rest of low rank multiplayer in convenient youtube form.

Missed the three 15% carves, and the 18% quest reward for the inferno sac you wanted.
Got a 6% head break plate.

That's the Desire Sensor for you.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
Finally got around to watching this. I played Tri Wii years ago and stopped at the final boss after failing the hunt. Didn't know I had to break parts, didn't try again or look up anything. Kind of soured my thoughts about the series until I got 4U. Though now you're making me want to buy this, since I'm "almost done" with MH4U and Double Cross being a ways away.

it's me i'm the person calling you a wimp for not trying to Solo G rank. 50 minute long, down to the wire hunts where you die in two consecutive hits, are fun.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Repster posted:

Missed the three 15% carves, and the 18% quest reward for the inferno sac you wanted.
Got a 6% head break plate.

That's the Desire Sensor for you.

Don't mention that thing. I WANT MY HELLBLADE POWDERS, DAMNIT!

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Shlapintogan posted:

I am prepared to be laid low by the desire sensor for the rest of eternity.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

:siren:UPDATE:siren:

Today we have to ask the important questions: What if Qurupeco were more of an rear end in a top hat? How good is the new set of armor I have?

Where's the pickle?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgWn7zbgxZ4

Very important video related to this update.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgWn7zbgxZ4

Very important video related to this update.

This is exactly how I feel every time a deviljho shows up.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Cats can totally do Styles in XX! It's one reason why I really, really, really hope it gets released in not-Japan. Cats can for sure get Adept and Aerial. I want to be a rodeo cat so freakin' bad.

Also cats can use Dung Bombs if they have the skill for it. It's a skill that I consider to be essential on cats. Free to use, too!

I kind of wish Queropeco is in 4U or Gen. I would love to get my revenge on that bastard now that I don't suck at the game, but that would require going back to 3U and I don't wanna.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Dung Bombs are a must for any high rank fight, and a necessity for Savage Deviljho, simply because if that thing pins you, you will get hurt A LOT.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Savage Deviljho is a right rear end in a top hat. Its default state is classic Pickle's angry state, and it can get angrier after that.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Red hot chili pickles

Also Deviljho is the first monster you can usually find where the rage mode makes it much, much more deadly.
There are a few monsters whose rage mode also is a as much of a game changer but theyre instantly recognizable.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Red hot chili pickles

Also Deviljho is the first monster you can usually find where the rage mode makes it much, much more deadly.
There are a few monsters whose rage mode also is a as much of a game changer but theyre instantly recognizable.

If a monster's appearance changes when enraged, that's a good indicator to watch the hell out when they're enraged. See: Tigrex, Gore Magala, Rajang (none of which are in this game). Diablos kind of fits this too but it's a real subtle visual change- it starts breathing black smoke when it's enraged.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

When we fight Deviljho properly, we'll probably spend a good percentage of the fight taking on rage-mode Jho. When he's not super hungry, he's super pissed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh yeah also this is the hunt that made me put down 3U, as I did it immediately after that Jaggi hunt were they introduce Jho and I went in with no HR gear and no concept of how Dung Bombs worked. I think I triple-carted within the first ten minutes and was like "well 4U is about to come out, I'll just wait for that". That was one pickle surprise I never recovered from.

• Locked thread