Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I havent played anhthing past 3G so whats so awesome about 4U?
I though MhGen/X was the best so far

MonHun Gen. is probably my favorite so far for solo play (Aerial Style actually makes Heavy Bowgun FUN in a solo setting) but a party of four decent people make mincemeat of almost all the content. While I had problems with both 3U and 4U's endgames (gently caress Apex monsters and Wystones. Brought down an otherwise excellent G-rank experience in 4U) and I've only gotten so far in MHG at this point, I can't imagine Aerial or Adept styles not trivializing a vast majority of the older monsters- especially aerial style, since a lot of the non-flying monsters have no good ways of dealing with an airborne hunter, and the general lower HP of monsters hold up very poorly to being mounted 3+ times in five minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

MachuPikacchu posted:

Counterpoint: Yian Kut Ku is the absolute worst, and I hate it. Anything with a hitbox three times larger than itself should not exist.

The second two hitboxes are the guilt and shame you feel when you try to attack and kill such a majestic creature.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Skippy Granola posted:

Gobul cheats, is the short answer. Numerous spherical attacks, surprising mobility, and a mouth that takes up 120 degrees of its frontal hitbox. Real nice.

Truly, the perfect predator.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Bellophon posted:

I'm really loving this LP, but it's also making me really glad I started with 4U.

Is all water combat that bad, or is Gobul just a special case?

Both? Underwater combat is never good, but everything Skippy said is absolutely true- Gobul is overdesigned to be a complete menace underwater, which is why a major mechanic with Gobul is learning how to minimize that- Gobul is really bad on land, and has some unique traits that haven't been shown off yet, one of which is that he shares a major weakness with an incarnation of Ganondorf.

That said, Gobul isn't even the worst underwater encounter in the game. There's a very special one much later, and even later then that there's a special variant of one of the underwater monsters who's redefined 'jerkass' for the franchise. But Gobul is the worst we're going to see for a long time.

• Locked thread