Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Awwwh yeah, MonHun! It says nice things that you got me over my instinctive dislike of the Hunting Horn (Still dislike Bowguns, though, despite their utility), and reminded me that I still hadn't gotten high rank in any of these games (I really should.)

Also, Toukiden got mentioned, and it should also be mentioned that as of June last year, Toukiden is no longer console exclusive. Kiwami is on Steam. Can't tell you how good the port is, sadly, as it's only on my wishlist, but I can tell you the formula's close enough that I mistook it for a MonHun game when somebody was streamin' it with the title "Monster Hunter HYPE!!!" on the Generations release day. :v:

Now if only a MonHun game of some sort came to the PC and was released in the West (Yes, I know about that MMO.) I'd LP the poo poo out of it, even knowing beforehand about the usual MonHun pattern that means 90% of the work of this LP is behind the scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Ahh yes. The foe I nicknamed Yelling Bird, after the Jeph Jacque's character of the same name. Why? Because they're both assholes, and they're both loud as hell. Also, fun fact: Although MonHun Portable 3rd and MonHun 3/Ultimate are, in fact, different games, they introduce Qurupeco in almost exactly the same way. There's a Great Jaggi, and Qurupeco makes friends. Because, let's face it, Great Jaggis and their hipchecks are assholes too.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Ahhh, Lagombi. In Portable 3rd, this was where the game starts taking your prep seriously, and where you're more likely to fail your first attempt at hunting the monster. One thing it likes to do for hunters that stay in one place for two long is that sweeping move it did to Cha-Cha, where it does a quick skid around you. And it will do it, time and time again, unless you get the hell out of dodge. Unless, like my first time, it stuns you. And then murderises you with sick Gymkhana.

The second time, it fell to good Hanzo Yukumo Steel. Getting to like the Longsword. :getin:

Meanwhile, yep, Great Baggi is indeed meant to be something like 30-odd feet from tip to tail. So is a King-Sized Great Jaggi. Surprisingly, however, the scale is mostly accurate. For example, me posing about ten feet away from a Bulldrome...

Bulldrome is 18 feet. When I'm standing next to one, my feetses (Let's argue about 2-3 feet across) just about take up a third of the tusks.

Also, I am definitely a Fashion Hunter. I want all the drat outfits. Which is why I get so disappointed with some. I imagine, when I get to it, that I'll get quite disappointed with the lady only kit in Portable 3rd, the Mosgharl set. I was already disappointed once, by the Bnahbra Suit. I mean, the top hat and vest? Fine. But the whole thing?

...Eh.

Oh, yeah, there are some minor differences in cutscenes between Portable 3rd (Which also has no swimming, a different town, Palicos, and other fun features that I don't recall seeing in Tri/3U) and Tri/3U. In Portable 3rd, it's not an Aptonoth getting a faceful of poison, it's a Slagtoth. I don't know which I feel worse for, tbqh...

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Yeah, Gigginox are evil, evil bastards, and, to make it worse? in 3U, nope, Gigginox armour does nothing against poison. In fact, it gives the opposite of Protection, Lvl 1 Earplugs, Speed Sharpening, and Status Atk+1 . They're also in P3rd, and I can definitively state they're just as much an rear end in a top hat there as in this vid... Every Gigginox I've hunted frickin' loves that ceiling, so Bounce Bombs are a must-bring.

Still, you did a good job, as, like you said, fucker's got way too much health, and you're gonna be spending a lot of that fight nervously looking out for the tells. Amusingly, even though it's slightly more resistant to cutting damage, that resistance is spread out more evenly than impact weapons like hammers, which means playing the guessing game of which head is which! (The slightly larger one is 60% resistant, the slightly smaller one is only 35% resistant. Blades, however, have the problem that its underbelly is 55% resistant, compared to the rest, which is about 35% resistant on average.)

Nicknames for this beast mostly pun on its, er... Somewhat phallic look.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Shlapintogan posted:

Guys did you know I'm playing :siren: SUB-OPTIMALLY :siren:

Thanks again, Chris.

I sometimes really dislike the "Sub-Optimal" crowd. Can't wait for somebody to do MHGen so folks see that "sub-optimal" can also mean enjoyable (Shoutout to everybody who just uses Aerial Style to kickflip off their friends.) Or heck, even "challenging yourself" (I'mma try and take down this monster I have to hunt for parts... But this time, I'll use... THING to up my skills!)

Basically, sod optimal play in so many ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Don't forget the two words that must never be uttered together. "Fashion hunter".

Sorry, what? I couldn't hear those two words that are still a legit thing you can do because I was too busy being GARGWAMAN, DEFENDER OF THE PEOPLE (MonHun Portable 3rd image)

• Locked thread