Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Good stuff. I'm a huge fan of the experienced player/blind observer setup for LPs and more than that, I love the hunting horn, so this LP is everything I could want. You're doing a really good job explaining the mechanics of the game, and DoubleNegative asks good questions. Wreck some poo poo (and pet that poogie)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Watching you edit your way through swaths of Ludroth and Jaggi is the absolute best. Please keep doing this.

Hey, would you mind if I posted pictures/Monster List blurbs of the monsters you encounter in the video? Only the monsters you have successfully hunted, of course.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Here we go! Hunted monsters from Episodes 1 and Episode 2 (click on the name to be taken to a wiki page):

Jaggi:
Concept Art:
Species: Bird Wyvern
Information: Highly social, carnivorous bird wyverns that live in large packs. Young Jaggi males hunt in groups when attacking larger animals, and have been known to steal wyvern eggs. Research suggest they operate under orders from a single alpha male.
Threat Level: ★★

Jaggia:
Concept Art:
Information: Female Jaggi that stay in groups, Jaggia generally cluster around the nest to defend it and raise whelps. Smaller than mature males, but larger than and tougher than the countless young males. Jaggia also operate under an alphas orders.

Great Jaggi:
Concept Art:
Information: The commanding alpha male of Jaggi packs. Most males leave the group upon reaching maturity, returning to compete with others. The dominant male then becomes a Great Jaggi. Apparently, they can issue fairly complex orders via howling.
Threat Level: ★★★

Ludroth:
Concept Art:
Species: Leviathan
Information: Aquatic female monsters. Ludroth form "harems" around large males, hence gathering in territories designated as breeding grounds. They are known to be extremely aggressive towards outsiders; caution is advised.

Altaroth:
Concept Art:
Species: Neopteron
Information: Insects that wildly inhabit many areas. Noted for absorbing fruit, mushrooms, and honey, then carrying them back to the nest. Materials can thus be collected from their swollen abdomens, whose color is related to what is being carried.
Threat Level: ★

Aptonoth:
Concept Art:
Species: Herbivore
Information: Relatively docile herbivores with characteristic crest plates. They form herds and raise young communally, and have been used as pack animals for generations; their meat is tasty and nutritious. Very cautious around large monsters.

Epioth

Information: Submissive, water-dwelling herbivores that subsist on water grasses and moss. Epioth surface frequently to sunbathe. Extremely timid, they panic when danger is present, swimming about in haphazard fashion.

Renders/icons/Monster List excerpts from Monster Hunter Wikia.

TenWren fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 4, 2016

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Hunted monsters from Episode 3 (click on the name to be taken to a wiki page):

Arzuros:
Concept Art:
Species: Fanged Beast
Information: Forest-and mountain-dwelling beasts found in humid regions. Though known more for fishing and standing upright to collect honey, their thick claws and heavy forearm plating allow them to deliver powerful blows to any aggressor.

Renders/icons/Monster List excerpts from Monster Hunter Wikia.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

C-Euro posted:

The Switch Axe does indeed own, pretty sure I used it the whole time I played 3U.

Counterpoint: I would rather listen to Cha-cha's weird tribal babbles for an hour non-stop than ever hear the awful Felyne sounds. They're so grating and so frequent that they became an in-joke between my wife and me.

Is the joke that one of you makes inhuman screeches as the other harvests Machalite ore outside the house?

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Hunted monsters from Episode 4 (click on the name to be taken to a wiki page):

Qurupeco:
Concept Art:
Information: Bird Wyverns with unique plumage. Well known for using their thoracic vocal organs to imitate others monsters calls, first summoning them, then using the distraction to flee. The creature spits a dangerous body fluid that can lower one's Resistance.
Threat Level: Not listed.

Rhenoplos:
Concept Art:
Species: Colossal Shitheel Herbivore
Information: Extremely territorial herbivores with poor vision, but very acute hearing. Rhenoplos will doggedly pursue any nearby target they sense. They often collide into boulders, perhaps because they cannot easily stop once they begin to run.

Renders/Monster List excerpts from Monster Hunter Wikia.

TenWren fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 17, 2016

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Hunted monsters from Episode 5 (click on the name to be taken to a wiki page):

Royal Ludroth:
Concept Art:
Information: Royal Ludroth use their sponge-like neck scales to absorb water and keep from drying out on land. Once the sponge loses moisture, they attempt to re-enter the water. They also spew mucus to trip up their prey.

Barroth:
Concept Art:
Species: Brute Wyvern
Information: Barroth usually remain beneath the mud, perhaps to shield themselves from heat; they are even known to attack by flinging mud. They will charge in a frenzy at anything that disturbs their bogs.
Additional Info (pulled from interview):

quote:

Q: How did you decide on Barroth's behaviors and lifestyle?
A: For the design, I thought of a bulldozer clearing away sand and dirt and combined it with the motif of a caterpillar's carapace. It was decided that the creature lives in bogs, so I figured that it would approach its prey covered in dirt and mud to hide its body. That's when I put the nostrils on top of its head, so that it could still breathe even when submerged in mud. (Shuhei Kurose, Modeling Section Leader)

TenWren fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 27, 2016

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Hunted monsters from Episode 6 (click on the name to be taken to a wiki page):

Gobul:
Concept Art:
Information: Monsters with strong camouflage skills and powerful neurotoxins. Poor swimmers, Gobul conceal themselves and lure prey by imitating plants with their barbels. Can reportedly swallow Epioth whole. They love frogs.

Hunted monsters from Episode 7:

Wroggi:
Concept Art:
Information: Small, carnivorous bird wyverns with poison-generating organs that run from their mouths to their throats. They run in packs, often led by a large alpha male. Lesser members of the order are fiercely loyal, and will eagerly lay down their lives to protect the alpha.

Great Wroggi:
Concept Art:
Information: Bird wyverns that spit a poisonous mist. Wroggi travel in packs that are led by the largest and most toxic member. The poison is made in a sac-like organ around its throat; if this is destroyed, the creature's ability to spit is impaired.

Baggi:

Species: Bird Wyvern/ "Sleep Assholes"
Information: Highly intelligent, carnivorous Bird Wyverns that hunt in packs. Noted for their blue scales and sharp glare. Baggi are feared for their ability to release a tranquillising fluid; it can knock out even humans for several seconds.

Great Baggi:

Information: Carnivorous bird wyverns like the Jaggi. Noted for their projecting cranial crests and bluish-white skin that's adapted to snow. Great Baggi craftily command other Baggi to surround their prey and stun them with a tranquilizing fluid.

Popo:

Information: Herd-forming herbivores covered in thick fur to endure the cold. Popo are gentle, but known to use their massive tusks bravely when defending their young. Popo meat is very nutritious; the tongue is said to be especially palatable.

Lagombi:
Concept Art:
Species: Fanged Beast
Information: Fanged beasts whose warm pelts and thick layers of fat help them to survive in harsh colder climates. Though mainly herbivores, Lagombi occasionally make use of their exceptional hearing and ability to glide on ice to sneak up on live prey.

EDIT: The last couple posts reminded me I had this image of the cats (plus some interesting trivia):

TenWren fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 13, 2016

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Never stop math talk DoubleNegative. It is excellent.

Hunted monsters from Episode 8 (click on the name to be taken to a wiki page):

Rathian:

Species: Flying Wyvern
Information: Fire-breathing female wyverns, also known as the "Queens of the Land". With powerful legs and poison-secreting tails, they hunt mainly on the ground. Sometimes seen preying as a couple, Rathians and Rathalos cooperate well.
Threat Level: ★★★★

Rathian - Extra Stuff:

Rathian's been around since the very first Monster Hunter, debuting back in 2004. She and her (as of yet unhunted) male counterpart were the first monsters created:

quote:

Q: What monster did you create first?
A: That would be Rathalos and Rathian. As a team, we decided to start by creating a flying dragon type monster, something that could fly and would attack the player using claws and teeth. From there, we could take the skeletal structure as a basis to create variations upon variations. (Designer Kambe Tomonori)

Lagiacrus:
Concept Art:
Information: Leviathans that exist at the top of the aquatic food chain. Feared by sailors as the "Lords of the Seas", Lagiacrus store enough electricity in their spinal organs to make the oceans surge. Occasionally they can be found resting on land as well.
Threat Level: ★★★★★

Lagiacrus - Extra Stuff:
As mentioned, Lagiacrus is the flagship monster for Tri.

TenWren fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 14, 2016

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Wow, how many Bhanabras died intact in that video? I guess it doesn't matter if I'm playing or watching, if I hear one give a death wail I'm instinctively going to look for the body.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to more multiplayer stuff! The experienced player + blind dynamic is already good, so adding Miijhal's perspective as a gunner is excellent. I've never touched anything related to the ranged weapons in Monster Hunter, so that's something I'm always going to be interested in hearing about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Hunted monsters from Episode 9 (click on the name to be taken to a wiki page):
Bnahabra:
Concept Art:
Species: Neopteron
Information: Flying insects that inhabit most environments. They attack invaders with a paralyzing venom, and lay eggs in carrion together with a bodily fluid that hastens decomposition. As their bodies are easily destroyed, poison is ideal for harvesting their parts.

Hunted monsters from Episode 10 (click on the name to be taken to a wiki page):

Giggi:
Concept Art:
Information: Remarkably fecund wyvern larvae that can flourish in any dark environment. They survive by leeching onto other animals, sucking their blood, and then converting it to toxins. Giggi victims are advised to shake them off by rolling vigorously on the ground.

Gigginox:
Concept Art:
Information: Wyverns that inhabit the Tundra. Gigginox live in darkness and thus have degraded vision; they detect prey via body heat, then attack with poison. When excited, their color changes and parts of their body harden. Extremely fertile, laying innumerable eggs.

Melynx:
Concept Art:
Species: Lynian
Information: Bipedal creatures resembling cats, known for their dark hair. more curious then Felynes and possessed by kleptomania, Melynxes take what they steal back to their dens. Felvine intoxicates them, causing them to sometimes drop items.

Misc. Hunted Monsters from other episodes (click on the name to be taken to a wiki page):
Kelbi:
Concept Art:
Small herbivores known for their gentle demeanor, as well as the medicinal properties of their horns. Those wishing to harvest a horn should stun the Kelbi with strike attacks, then sever the appendage while the animal is still alive.

TenWren fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 1, 2016

• Locked thread