Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

SilverGryphon posted:

XD That's basically my story, though I got a bit farther than you did. (that One Monster in the Tundra. It can go die in a fire.) But then I got 4U and fell in love with the Insect Glaive and it remains my main to this day. Mounts all day every day yo.

Pretty much my story as well. Started with Tri, got to a certain fight (not understanding grinding for new armour/weapons or armour skills), got annoyed after said fight kicked my rear end, never played it again.

Picked up 4U and started to understand things a lot more. After picking up the Hunting Horn and then the Charge Blade, I got into it to the point where I eventually pumped about 650 hours into it (and didn't even finish it completely - only non-Apex thing I didn't beat was Gogmazios). Then I tried the patched PC MH Online but really couldn't get into it due to lack of CB.

Now I'm on Generations and loving it. Done all village quests and nearing the rank 7 ones online (I now have armour sets with all resistances as well). I do agree about feeling far stronger than I felt in 4U, because everything was pretty much dying so quickly. I'm determined to get every CB in the game though and max level it.

Oh, and yes, prancing is the only thing to do once you kill a monster. Doesn't matter if there's ore points or carves. PRANCE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

davidHalestorm posted:

I am a monster newb whose first game is MHGenerations and I just did a mission where you have to kill 3 Nibelsnarf in a row. Yeah, I am not big fan of that monster.

Great LP, btw

The most annoying thing about the Nibelsnarf is the fact that the icon for it makes it seem like it should be making a noise like the Bulborb from Pikmin.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Goat camel? That can only mean it's Duramboros. I still need to fight the hyper one in Generations.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

I really need to get back into Generations. I'm like HR5, I think? Someplace in early-to-mid high rank stuff. I think I was working on upgrading my Narg longsword because I'm wearing a set that cranks up my Affinity. I had like a 50% crit rate or something like that.

I just kinda fell down a huge PC gaming hole toward the end of summer, and am still down there. This Let's Play is making me seriously jones for killing a dinosaur, though.

I'm really enjoying DoubleNegative's commentary; it's immensely interesting to hear impressions from somebody who's going into this blind for the first time.
My hunt to obtain and max out all the charge blades continues. I have another eight left to create, and twenty or so more to upgrade (most of them at final upgrade). Also, I've finally started on the Deviants and the other end-game monsters.

Also, I'm pretty sure I had a Monster Hunter related dream last night where my friend and I chopped off something's tail completely. I think it was Duramboros, and I'm pretty sure it was a dream because the only thing we've been hunting recently is the Hellblade Glavenus, and I'm just as sure you can only cut the tip of its club-like tail off and not the whole thing.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh yeah, and Volvidon is indeed in Generations. I've killed him with the cat. Like I've killed most things!

Lately though I've been having fun with Dual Blades, specifically Aerial Style Dual Blades. It is fuuuuuuuuun. :D I used Dual Blades in my short stint in 3U. Looking forward to when (if?) you show them off, so I can see what I was doing wrong!

Prowler with specific moves and abilities abilities is allegedly the strongest "weapon" in the game.

Also, Aerial style is fun with most weapons, but if you're using Dual Blades, you might want to try Adept style at some point. It's stupidly strong.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

The ones I use for "for serious" times have Piercing/Big Boomerangs, Boomerang Pro, Earplugs, and either Critical Up S or odd status resistance skills depending on what I'm fighting. You're also supposed to use Last Stand, but I wasn't too thrilled with the tradeoff from being effectively immortal, since resting in the Camp bed refills your Acorns.

I hope that's the build you're talking about, because I spent an awful lot of time farming for cats to get those...

Also I hear Adept style is real good, but I'm hesitant to try it. My sense of timing is absolute garbage. Just ask all the Stone medals I get in Bayonetta...

Yeah, that's pretty much it. You're supposed to use either a fighting or assisting palico (assisting type increases boomerang damage), and I think the assisting type also has Emergency Evasion which is really useful too because it's a fully invincible escape. As for Last Stand, yeah, I agree with you on not using that. I'd rather have the acorns. There's apparently a unique ability that one of the not yet released DLC ones has called "World's Strongest" which apparently buffs your attack and defense if you're not wearing armour, but I've yet to see if that's true.

deadly_pudding posted:

Your time window for adept dodging is pretty generous. I think the actual hard part is knowing when to abort your counter and dodge again, because the monster doesn't always wait for you to finish your counterattack. Mizutsune, in particular, always gets me with one particular combo where I adept dodge his initial charge, and then he whips around just in time to send me flying after I hit the ground running.

Yeah, it's not ultra strict like some just frame attacks in other games, but like Pudding says, you just have to be careful to not always go into an attack. Also, screw Mizutsune.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Specifically, Assisting Type fills its meter faster by using boomerangs. I watched a video a couple months ago where 4 boomerang cats just cheesed the hell out of Amatsu, because you can use Emergency Evasion to just ignore his giant murder tornado that he does when he's pissed.
I need to see that video. It always amazes me watching people do big hunts super quickly like Hellfire Star in under 3 minutes.

Silver Falcon posted:

I have both! And is that what that secret DLC skill does?! That is super lame, if so. Half the fun of the cats is dressing them up in ridiculous outfits! If I can't Fashion Hunt, I don't even wanna hear about it.
Yep. Despite the fact that the Baby Tigrex suits are pretty much useless, they're ridiculously adorable to not use.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Never was a fan of either of the Blosses, but Monoblos does have one of my favourite intros in 4U. The Gendrome gets absolutely wrecked.

Also, I'm hoping there's a Deviant Seregios in XX.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Shlapintogan posted:

-snip-

Also, yeah, Mind's Eye is wonderful because you can keep all of your combos going more effectively. Lots of attacks have it innately, but there is an armor skill that makes it so all attacks have it. Not quite as good as it sounds, though, because you shouldn't be going after parts that you bounce on normally, but hey, on armored targets like cooled-off Agnaktor, it can be a big help.

It's pretty much mandatory against the Metal Raths.

Spoilering that just in case they appear in 3U. I'm not sure if they do or not.

Silver Falcon posted:

I fought Agnaktor a bunch in Generations. I needed a poo poo-load of his scales for some reason. It always took me (I thought) way too long to kill him and I felt I was doing something wrong.

We did too because the armour set is a good fire resistant one, plus it has HotBlooded/Tropic Hunter which is a stupidly good skill in hot areas.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

JamieTheD posted:

I sometimes really dislike the "Sub-Optimal" crowd. Can't wait for somebody to do MHGen so folks see that "sub-optimal" can also mean enjoyable (Shoutout to everybody who just uses Aerial Style to kickflip off their friends.) Or heck, even "challenging yourself" (I'mma try and take down this monster I have to hunt for parts... But this time, I'll use... THING to up my skills!)

Basically, sod optimal play in so many ways.

There was a guy commenting on (I think) one of Gaijin Hunter's videos for 4U who would just call people scrubs for using certain armour sets (mainly the G-Rank Seregios one) and skills because he didn't feel they were that good and that people who used them just sucked. He'd then boast about how he was able to do everything up to G2 solo. His comments just made me think that if he's that much of an arse on the internet, I'm probably not going to have fun playing with him because he'd just point out things I was doing that he didn't think were correct.

Especially since I used that Seregios armour as well, especially when fighting the Seregios.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Shlapintogan posted:

G-Rank Seregios armor is really good. Like, just nonsensically good. You can get some better results out of mixed sets, but as far as G-Rank stuff goes in 4U, that set is up there.

deadly_pudding posted:

I was gonna say, G-Rank Seregios is often regarded as the first set you should try to build upon reaching G. Monster Hunter try-hards are insane to me. Like, really? You're gonna be a weird troll in this aggressively social team game?

I think the Gypceros set was the first G-Rank set I went for just because I found it easy to kill them for some reason. Then I went Shrouded Nerscylla before finally getting the Seregios set. It's kinda like the Akantor R set in Generations. Once you get it, you never look back.

As for the weird trolls, yeah, I don't understand the sheer elitism of some people. Congratulations, you're able to do things without using certain weapons and armours. I think I'll be fine with using those things and you know, having fun with my friends that play this with me.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I remember a quest in 4U that was "Collect X amount of heavy rocks and deliver them to home". It was an online quest so myself and two friends were playing it together. One of us was on a normal 3DS, I was on a new XL, and the other friend was on a 2DS. The guy on the 2DS was carrying a rock through an area and then said to us "Guys, why has my framerate gone terrible?", before turning round and being face to face with a roaring Deviljho.

I think he was more annoyed that the roar made him drop the rock though.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

My friends did that to me! In fact, one of them deliberately ate for the food skill that... either makes the environment unstable or guarantees the 'Jo will show up in an unstable. I was not pleased. :mad:

That's such a dick move.

I'm definitely doing that next time I play with someone new.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I like how Generations subverts the whole Angry Pickle Ambush tm by having all the villages having a quest where 1 of the new monsters jumps you while you're doing a completely different quest. Every time as well the quest desk girl is like NOPE THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS INNOCENT GATHERING/KILL SMALL MONSTER QUEST NO SIR.

When I first ran into Gammoth that way, I was pretty surprised. Then when I ran into a sleeping Astalos while I was sent to steal its eggs, I realised what was going on. The Mizutsune mission followed, and by the time I got to the "Deliver 8 Abyssal Mushrooms" and the Bherna Gal said basically what you said, I immediately said out loud to myself "Yeah, Glavenus is showing up in this one, isn't he?"

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Repster posted:

Missed the three 15% carves, and the 18% quest reward for the inferno sac you wanted.
Got a 6% head break plate.

That's the Desire Sensor for you.

Don't mention that thing. I WANT MY HELLBLADE POWDERS, DAMNIT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Dung Bombs are a must for any high rank fight, and a necessity for Savage Deviljho, simply because if that thing pins you, you will get hurt A LOT.

• Locked thread