Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:
You know, I've always wanted to give the Hunting Horn a spin, but the lack of cutting damage is sadly a dealbreaker most of the time. In 3U, I stuck with a Longsword, and then in 4U I fell in love with the charge blade, since it basically does everything you could ever want. Gunning definitely has a place, but it's absurdly difficult on your own.

Still, I'm looking forward to the rest of this thread. This was my first Monster Hunter game, so some of these monsters are still my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

So All monster hunter games (I dont know if the first few did) give you a little companion to help you in solo play.
Usually it's a felyne, and they dont get any, or much, lines of dialogue or importance.
They're also all adorable and you can dress them up in armor that you get the pieces for pro bono when creating your own armor.
So you can go out in your giant dragon armor with your little buddy also in giant dragon armor:

In this one they give you cha cha. who is terrible.

I straight-up refused to use Cha-Cha as long as I possibly could because I absolutely hated him the moment I saw him. I only started using him once the game forced me to.

This led to an entertaining period of me getting used to occasionally having a meatshield around because I'd been completely soloing every monster up to that point.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

Mr. Locke posted:

MonHun Gen. is probably my favorite so far for solo play (Aerial Style actually makes Heavy Bowgun FUN in a solo setting) but a party of four decent people make mincemeat of almost all the content. While I had problems with both 3U and 4U's endgames (gently caress Apex monsters and Wystones. Brought down an otherwise excellent G-rank experience in 4U) and I've only gotten so far in MHG at this point, I can't imagine Aerial or Adept styles not trivializing a vast majority of the older monsters- especially aerial style, since a lot of the non-flying monsters have no good ways of dealing with an airborne hunter, and the general lower HP of monsters hold up very poorly to being mounted 3+ times in five minutes.

I think I have to agree. 4U really engaged me in a way that Gen isn't - While the hunter arts and different styles definitely make the game feel a lot more dynamic (drat is it satisfying to catch the monster with the tip of a full-phial Energy Blade right as they charge at you), Hunting in groups makes even the really difficult monsters completely trivial. Especially if someone brings Aerial Switchaxe. (Also, I agree, Apex monsters were a really bad idea. You know what's fun? Making the player only able to fight the monster only 1/4 of the time!)

Mostly, I find it's highlighting the poor design of older monsters and areas. Honestly, since it's the first game in the series I've ever played I probably have a bias towards 3U's areas and monsters, but I still think that 3U has some of the best, most interesting areas and monsters, and it's a shame that we didn't get anything other than Deserted Island and Misty Peaks in Generations.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

Gobul is a jerk, but his music is fantastic. Trap of the Muddy Stream is low, ominous, and really highlights what a menace this thing is. Reminds me of Jaws, and really helps sell the sea monster vibe for everything you fight underwater here.

Really, I love all the area music in this game, which is more than I can say fo Generations. Tremble of the Sea and Land sounds like a magnificent fight on the open ocean and is a great remix of the opening theme, and Sandy Plains is easily my favorite desert in the series just because of Earth Sand and Fiery Winds. It's so adventurous and just kinda makes me want to run real fast to feel the wind on my face.

Highbrow music critique, I know, but the music in these games really adds to the feel of fighting these huge monsters and I feel like it gets overlooked sometimes.

Which is why I will always, -always- hate Khezu. gently caress that thing with a Rustshard.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

I still think Khezu is the bigger rear end in a top hat. At least Gigginox can't paralyze you and doesn't use the same boring animations as every other flying wyvern.

Also, as mentioned, the lack of music in a Khezu fight bores me more than it does scares me. The creepiness factor wears off when you have to fight the fucker ten times to get his rare drop and upgrade your axe.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

Duramboros is a beautiful ballerina.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

I find that whenever i'm grinding for parts, I'm actually much more likely to goof up and cart than if I was fighting the monster for the first time. On consecutive runs, it's easy to get complacent and forget to respect the monster. That's when you make stupid mistakes and remember that the monster isn't actually any easier to kill just because you've already killed it five times.

Always give this game your respect and attention, or it will punish you.

I mean, unless you're fighting a Great Jaggi with massively overleveled gear, in which case feel free to style all you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

Uragaan looks like The Crimson Chin.

• Locked thread