Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

scuz posted:

Yeah, this and "My Favorite Murder" are intense and I can't listen to too much of it before I have to switch gears to something like kick-rear end guitar rock.

My wife LOVES that podcast and all the true crime poo poo. At least if she decides to murder me she has done her research.

In other news, we now have a cat

8 weeks old, feral mother but pretty sweet. Apparently she keeps attacking my wifes hands/feet but when I go to hang out she just sits on my lap and wants belly rubs. Tried to introduce her to our dachshund, who just wants to be friends, but the cat is scared. Hopefully the cat will get over it soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That's a good lookin' cat. In my experience, black cats tend to be the most friendly and personable once they learn that toes are friends, not food.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

I like this one too I have it by my bed:

http://www.sfheart.com/desiderata.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faU-SK0pHCI

Negromancer posted:

My wife LOVES that podcast and all the true crime poo poo. At least if she decides to murder me she has done her research.

In other news, we now have a cat

8 weeks old, feral mother but pretty sweet. Apparently she keeps attacking my wifes hands/feet but when I go to hang out she just sits on my lap and wants belly rubs. Tried to introduce her to our dachshund, who just wants to be friends, but the cat is scared. Hopefully the cat will get over it soon.

More catte is good catte. We adopted another from the shelter recently, an older guy. We try to adopt older cats, since they get adopted far less.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

lmao that owns

blk
Dec 19, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

Blk what did you buy

09 Outback 3.0R Limited

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

lmao that owns

Always my go to for Inspirational Feel Good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tijxMHhuwGQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRmbwczTC6E&list=PL92F9FC91BBE2210D

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

blk posted:

09 Outback 3.0R Limited

Nice, that's what Phone recommended in the AI meets BFC thread when I asked. Mind sharing what you got it for? I was hoping to buy something newer but with the way insurance is going to be a few years older might be just the ticket

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Wheeeeeee, made an appointment to get my oil changed tomorrow, went to go back to the school and my loving car refused to start. They tested it at like 215 CCA, guess my bad alternator ate the battery after all before I replaced it; loving battery's like a year old. I love paying retail prices to get simple jobs done for me!

Hopefully Advance honors the warranty when I take the core to them.

E: Tell ya what though, it's a nice change that this is the worst thing that's happened to me in the last couple months.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
About a year ago, my girlfriend (who is in her mid-30s) got her first job in a big-time corporate environment. She'd always worked in family-style places before. About a month ago, she got a new layer of management inserted above her; a fresh college grad whom I have already had to listen to way too much bitching about. She's entitled, she's distant, she claims kudos for work her reports did, she spends half the day socializing, etc. A day ago, the GF came home in tears because she got called in front of her manager, her manager's boss, and her manager's boss's boss. Why? Because her manager sent her an e-mail at 5pm on Friday that required a response; and when she read it Monday morning when she got it, it pissed her off.

The only way she could handle not shooting back an angry e-mail was to wait for in excess of 6 hours to respond. By the time she was even thinking of responding, her manager had already set up a meeting with all the management chain to discuss her lack of responsiveness. Even better, after the meeting was over, my girlfriend wanted to talk to her manager's boss (who is her old manager) to discuss how her new manager isn't a team player and bad at doing her job.

Having to explain to my girlfriend that she's a woman-child who never learned how to control herself when she's upset and now it's affecting her professional space now as well in addition to how it's been affecting our relationship wasn't really enjoyable. And trying to explain that jumping hops in the management chain to complain about her new manager DIRECTLY after being called on the carpet by said manager is a bad idea was just as fun. Sometimes I even wonder why I keep this up.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Adiabatic posted:

I like this one too I have it by my bed:

http://www.sfheart.com/desiderata.html

Beat me to it.
"Know yourself. If you need help, call the FBI."

I literally can't hear Desiderata without thinking of Deteriorata. I can't take it seriously.
I actually heard Deteriorata first, and had never heard of Desiderata at the time. It took on a whole new dimension of funny when I finally did.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
That's a shame. I love the Desiderata and use it frequently.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
drat it. The person who adopted my wife's cat was a moron and adopted a kitten. He's such a good cat with people but he's no good with other animals. My pit is a total moron but super loving and amazing with children/babies. We let the cat go because of perpetual critter conflict, and explicitly told them he was a loner, and now he doesn't get along with the kitten.

HEY MAYBE THIS TIME IT WILL WORK.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh good, now my 4-month-old alternator is testing bad, too! 12.3 volts output under load with a known good battery, i watched the third test so I know they're not pulling my leg.

God loving dammit. Manager got Advance to swap my battery out for free, but I'm still on the hook for >$300 since I don't have a place to work on my car anymore.

ugghhhhhhhh

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Maksimus54 posted:

Nice, that's what Phone recommended in the AI meets BFC thread when I asked. Mind sharing what you got it for? I was hoping to buy something newer but with the way insurance is going to be a few years older might be just the ticket

16,3 OTD at a local dealer - 47k miles, one owner, pretty clean. Considering that I see similar cars trading for 17-19 in Portland I think we did OK. It's the Seacrest green metallic which I'm not crazy about but can live with. I would have preferred white or the dark brown/bronze. If you can live with two-tone there's a blue/grey one priced well in Reno right now.

E: or this one near you. Pre facelift but 2007 should still have aux-in
http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/19FE13E5

It's actually cheaper than her 05 Civic on our insurance. I like it so far.

blk fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 30, 2016

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I want a Honda Element.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
And me too.

1:35
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfmhZbGvOE8

I miss that show sometimes.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Enourmo posted:

Oh good, now my 4-month-old alternator is testing bad, too! 12.3 volts output under load with a known good battery, i watched the third test so I know they're not pulling my leg.

God loving dammit. Manager got Advance to swap my battery out for free, but I'm still on the hook for >$300 since I don't have a place to work on my car anymore.

ugghhhhhhhh

The side of the road is a pretty valid place to do simple stuff. I'd imagine you'd be able to do something simple like an alternator while parked on the street? I've done my rear shocks, carburetor adjustments, and dealt with a blown up heater hose pretty recently in similar circumstances.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Coredump posted:

I want a Honda Element.

I want a Honda Beat, they look fun. Also my girlfriend thinks my Miata is cramped and jittery so I have to teach her the true meaning of discomfort so she'll stop asking me to get a slushbox SUV for next round. This is a good plan.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus

Raluek posted:

The side of the road is a pretty valid place to do simple stuff. I'd imagine you'd be able to do something simple like an alternator while parked on the street? I've done my rear shocks, carburetor adjustments, and dealt with a blown up heater hose pretty recently in similar circumstances.

This. Have done wheel bearings (even with security "patrolling" the parking lot, would wheel the tire in front of work space when they rolled by), starters, alts, ujoints in dorm and apartment parking lots as well as on the side of the road, easier than you would think.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

RillAkBea posted:

I want a Honda Beat, they look fun. Also my girlfriend thinks my Miata is cramped and jittery so I have to teach her the true meaning of discomfort so she'll stop asking me to get a slushbox SUV for next round. This is a good plan.
"I Beat my girlfriend to teach her a lesson"

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

gently caress man. Got a piece if glass in my hand. Can't see or feel it at all but it hurts like a bitch whenever I out any kind of pressure on it. Tweezer and razor time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sigma X posted:

About a year ago, my girlfriend (who is in her mid-30s) got her first job in a big-time corporate environment. She'd always worked in family-style places before. About a month ago, she got a new layer of management inserted above her; a fresh college grad whom I have already had to listen to way too much bitching about. She's entitled, she's distant, she claims kudos for work her reports did, she spends half the day socializing, etc. A day ago, the GF came home in tears because she got called in front of her manager, her manager's boss, and her manager's boss's boss. Why? Because her manager sent her an e-mail at 5pm on Friday that required a response; and when she read it Monday morning when she got it, it pissed her off.

The only way she could handle not shooting back an angry e-mail was to wait for in excess of 6 hours to respond. By the time she was even thinking of responding, her manager had already set up a meeting with all the management chain to discuss her lack of responsiveness. Even better, after the meeting was over, my girlfriend wanted to talk to her manager's boss (who is her old manager) to discuss how her new manager isn't a team player and bad at doing her job.

Having to explain to my girlfriend that she's a woman-child who never learned how to control herself when she's upset and now it's affecting her professional space now as well in addition to how it's been affecting our relationship wasn't really enjoyable. And trying to explain that jumping hops in the management chain to complain about her new manager DIRECTLY after being called on the carpet by said manager is a bad idea was just as fun. Sometimes I even wonder why I keep this up.

My girlfriend and I had some similar issues about 18 months ago, she had a terrible manager and it was making it difficult to listen to her talk about her work day. But then it turned out the manager really was terrible and was fired and since then her work life has been fantastic. So hang on man, maybe that manager really is terrible and they'll boot her out.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Raluek posted:

If it was my old Blazer, sure. The alternator on the Protege takes some obnoxious contorting to tease out of its hole; even in a covered garage in April it took me a few hours, and A) I don't have my full set of tools, and B) the weather in Florida alternates between dangerously hot ball soup (the heat index hit like 125 in the shade last week) and pouring rain. It's basically a non-starter.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

My girlfriend and I had some similar issues about 18 months ago, she had a terrible manager and it was making it difficult to listen to her talk about her work day. But then it turned out the manager really was terrible and was fired and since then her work life has been fantastic. So hang on man, maybe that manager really is terrible and they'll boot her out.
My girlfriend's career is being ruined by her lovely school district, specifically her principal, who's a real poo poo heel. Last to show up, works one day a week, first to leave, big drat jackass but nothing can be done cuz unions.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Does anyone live near Portland and want to take an adventure to Seattle to buy a car with me this evening? Food provided, only requirement is a valid driver's license and the ability to use a clutch.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sigma X posted:

Why? Because her manager sent her an e-mail at 5pm on Friday that required a response; and when she read it Monday morning when she got it, it pissed her off.

The only way she could handle not shooting back an angry e-mail was to wait for in excess of 6 hours to respond. By the time she was even thinking of responding, her manager had already set up a meeting with all the management chain to discuss her lack of responsiveness.

To clarify here, 1) does her day end at/before 5pm, 2) is she expected to work after hours/off the clock and 3) was she reprimanded for not immediately replying to said email Friday evening, over the weekend, or by a reasonable time on Monday morning?

From the way you're telling it it sounds like they had ample time to plan to plan to have three managers sit down with her so I would guess they expected a response immediately after it went out, or at some point before the start of the week.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 30, 2016

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Does anyone live near Portland and want to take an adventure to Seattle to buy a car with me this evening? Food provided, only requirement is a valid driver's license and the ability to use a clutch.

What did you buy?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

scuz posted:

My girlfriend's career is being ruined by her lovely school district, specifically her principal, who's a real poo poo heel. Last to show up, works one day a week, first to leave, big drat jackass but nothing can be done cuz unions.

The principal is probably not in the union

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

the spyder posted:

What did you buy?

Hopefully a Subaru. Are you saying you're free?!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sigma X posted:

... trying to explain that jumping hops in the management chain to complain about her new manager DIRECTLY after being called on the carpet by said manager is a bad idea was just as fun. Sometimes I even wonder why I keep this up.

My company calls those "skip level" meetings, and they are not only encouraged, but are regularly scheduled (like quarterly). The company is really serious about trying to make sure that the line level (or higher) employees are not isolated by a bad manager and then leave the company.

It's pretty refreshing to know that I can skip my manager if there is a situation that I'm really uncomfortable dealing with them directly. For that matter, we have 'skip level' one on one meetings with the level above that occasionally too. It's kind of cool not being constantly afraid of pissing off someone in management by talking to their bosses.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Sigma X posted:

About a month ago, she got a new layer of management inserted above her; a fresh college grad whom I have already had to listen to way too much bitching about.

To be honest I've never seen a fresh college grad or somebody in their 20s be anything other than terrible when put into a management position. I'd be willing to assume most of your girlfriend's complains are completely valid but I'd also agree that bitching about your lovely manager minutes after being chewed out isn't the best approach.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

But if you ever slight ~*~management~*~ how can you ever hope to be a good little libertarian worker drone

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Geoj posted:

To clarify here, 1) does her day end at/before 5pm, 2) is she expected to work after hours/off the clock and 3) was she reprimanded for not immediately replying to said email Friday evening, over the weekend, or by a reasonable time on Monday morning?

From the way you're telling it it sounds like they had ample time to plan to plan to have three managers sit down with her so I would guess they expected a response immediately after it went out, or at some point before the start of the week.

1) Her day ends at 5-ish; but it varies. 2) No, she's not expected to keep tabs on work e-mails or phone calls while outside of work 3) A reasonable time on Monday. She read it on Monday morning and hadn't replied by 4pm that same day.

The Locator posted:

My company calls those "skip level" meetings, and they are not only encouraged, but are regularly scheduled (like quarterly). The company is really serious about trying to make sure that the line level (or higher) employees are not isolated by a bad manager and then leave the company.

It's pretty refreshing to know that I can skip my manager if there is a situation that I'm really uncomfortable dealing with them directly. For that matter, we have 'skip level' one on one meetings with the level above that occasionally too. It's kind of cool not being constantly afraid of pissing off someone in management by talking to their bosses.
We have skip-levels where I work. But she doesn't where she works, it's a very traditional, old-school corporate environment. You don't go complain to your boss's boss about your boss.

1500quidporsche posted:

To be honest I've never seen a fresh college grad or somebody in their 20s be anything other than terrible when put into a management position. I'd be willing to assume most of your girlfriend's complains are completely valid but I'd also agree that bitching about your lovely manager minutes after being chewed out isn't the best approach.

Absolutely I think her manager is a piece of poo poo, from the stories I've heard. But my source is biased. They also hired her into a management position with no idea of what she was supposed to bring to the table other than "make these two people work better". (Yes, that's right, she was hired to manage TWO PEOPLE).

MrChips posted:

But if you ever slight ~*~management~*~ how can you ever hope to be a good little libertarian worker drone

See my second reply. There are still some places where you don't run to your boss's boss about your boss's behaviour.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Sigma X posted:

It sounds like your girlfriend could have handled the situation better but it sounds like her manager is really bad at her job. I don't know what line of work they're in, but anyone who's spent any time in a corporate setting should know not to send emails that need an immediate response at the end of the day on Friday. If it was that important, her manager should have called her. She also could (should?) have followed up with her in a one-on-one setting before involving her entire chain of command. The company I work for is as Big Corporate as it gets and it would have to be a matter of life and death for the three levels of management above me to call a meeting about an email I took too long to respond to. Under those circumstances I wouldn't blame her for feeling defensive, I'm sure most people would.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sigma X posted:

Absolutely I think her manager is a piece of poo poo, from the stories I've heard. But my source is biased. They also hired her into a management position with no idea of what she was supposed to bring to the table other than "make these two people work better". (Yes, that's right, she was hired to manage TWO PEOPLE).

Ugh... I hate companies like that. At my place corporate won't even approve a manager position that won't have a minimum of 3 people reporting to them, and even then, that has to be a 'working manager' (basically a lead). I think for a dedicated 'manager' requires 5 people reporting.

I have one of those 'working managers' (who rarely actually works), but since she leaves me alone and lets me do my job without much interference and without micro managing, I don't really care. If we didn't have the regular skip-level meetings so that I could make sure that the management who really matters knows what my goals are (career/pay), then it would probably bother me a lot though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sigma X posted:

We have skip-levels where I work. But she doesn't where she works, it's a very traditional, old-school corporate environment. You don't go complain to your boss's boss about your boss.

Then who the gently caress are you supposed to complain to? Your lovely retaliatory manager?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

zundfolge posted:

It sounds like your girlfriend could have handled the situation better but it sounds like her manager is really bad at her job. I don't know what line of work they're in, but anyone who's spent any time in a corporate setting should know not to send emails that need an immediate response at the end of the day on Friday. If it was that important, her manager should have called her. She also could (should?) have followed up with her in a one-on-one setting before involving her entire chain of command. The company I work for is as Big Corporate as it gets and it would have to be a matter of life and death for the three levels of management above me to call a meeting about an email I took too long to respond to. Under those circumstances I wouldn't blame her for feeling defensive, I'm sure most people would.

This.

This situation sounds horribly mishandled by her manager. She should contact HR about this escalation.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

Then who the gently caress are you supposed to complain to? Your lovely retaliatory manager?

MrChips posted:

Good drones are seen, not heard. (This is a bad position to take, gently caress anyone who manages like this.)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sigma X posted:

(Yes, that's right, she was hired to manage TWO PEOPLE).

This is a massive red flag. Being micromanaged or working for a company that puts a recent college grad in a management position aside I wouldn't be surprised if your girlfriend's manager was related to someone way up the food chain who carved out a niche for her.

Either way I'd be updating my resume and taking the first offer that pays close to the same in that situation.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Sigma X posted:

But my source is biased.

Don't worry buddy, I heard your actual complaint the first time and it isn't about your GF's boss. I'm with you on this, it's a tough one to be diplomatic with, fist bump for solidarity, etc. Pray she doesn't learn the word mansplaining.

• Locked thread