Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Or any of the four awesome films he made with Richard Pryor.

Definitely. Silver Streak might be my favorite of the group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dr. Hurt posted:

Definitely. Silver Streak might be my favorite of the group.

See No Evil, Hear No Evil for me. It's probably in my top 5 favorite comedies of all time.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr. Hurt posted:

You are never too young to appreciate some comedic history! And if you end up enjoying Young Frankenstein and then Blazing Saddles, there's always his excellent turn in the Producers.

I mean don't get me wrong I like plenty of old movies and the first Star Wars still makes me geek out over it's cinematic importance in history and all the little poo poo it does, but I'm just saying, what I'm familiar with and enjoy from before I was born is inevitably gonna be haphazard.

My love of Transformers comes from my dad having taped poo poo off The Sci Fi Channel in the late 90s. It's totally by chance, because without those tapes, I'd probably be as indifferent to TF as I am to He-Man or Thundercats. Honestly, "WickedHate has bad opinions" all yall want, but this shouldn't be that shocking considering I was born in 1996.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 29, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A ton of my favorite movies as a kid were from before I was born.

Hell, a lot of my favorite moveis as an adult are from before I was born.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

A ton of my favorite movies as a kid were from before I was born.

That's sort of my point. Kid's movies like Willy Wonka have a longer life for a variety of reasons, the big one being school.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

WickedHate posted:

I mean don't get me wrong I like plenty of old movies and the first Star Wars still makes me geek out over it's cinematic importance in history and all the little poo poo it does, but I'm just saying, what I'm familiar with and enjoy from before I was born is inevitably gonna be haphazard.

My love of Transformers comes from my dad having taped poo poo off The Sci Fi Channel in the late 90s. It's totally by chance, because without those tapes, I'd probably be as indifferent to TF as I am to He-Man or Thundercats. Honestly, "WickedHate has bad opinions" all yall want, but this shouldn't be that shocking considering I was born in 1996.

Oh I'm not trying to "WH has bad opinions" you. I'm just saying that this is a really good opportunity to fill in the gaps in your media experience. That way you have an understanding on what modern comedy has built upon. Young Frankenstein is like. . . the modern horror parody (at least in my opinion until What We Do In the Shadows came out). Blazing Saddles was amazingly groundbreaking for the racial humor and the way it worked on both a highbrow and a lowbrow level.

I understand that sometimes it is hard to get connections to media released before you were a kid without someone giving you that connection. It was released before I was born too, but Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles were important to both of my parents so I saw it when I was probably a little too young and didn't get all the jokes. His performance in Willy Wonka is masterclass. The choices that he made to make Wonka unreliable and completely his are things that should be studied by actors for thinking about how little things can completely inform character portrayals. I'm glad you enjoy what you enjoy, I'm just suggesting to try other things!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

WickedHate posted:

This is me blanking during the Woody Allen scene in Starman all over again. It's not my fault I'm a youthful sprite who knows him from a children's movie and not these old comedies.

Don't feel bad, I guarantee you Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is the first (and sometimes only) thing people will mention about him.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

The ironic thing is all the other major comedies were made after Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory came out (it was released in 71) but I do feel that since it is in a children's film it does get wider circulation than the movies with sex jokes.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I saw Young Frankenstein at least as much as a kid as I did Willy Wonka. I don't think there's more than a small handful of jokes that went over my head. Now Blazing Saddles on the other hand...

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr. Hurt posted:

Oh I'm not trying to "WH has bad opinions" you. I'm just saying that this is a really good opportunity to fill in the gaps in your media experience.

I know, I'm sorry, I knew you were being nice and I shouldn't have added my snideness not directed at you in that post. I really appreciate it, you know?

Like I said, there is plenty of old stuff I like. I've made controversial statements in the past about certain old media, but I don't think anything is bad just for being old because true classics are timeless. poo poo, I think newspaper comics were hilarious in the 20s and 30s.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

WickedHate posted:

poo poo, I think newspaper comics were hilarious in the 20s and 30s.

If anyone doesn't think this, I have problems with them.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I actually only saw Young Frankenstein 2 years ago and I loved it. Blazing Saddles I saw on the big screen about a decade ago at some midnight showing, and the stuff he did with Pryor I saw when I was a young kid. For some reason I always got Wilder confused with Eric Idle when I was young, and was convinced that he was in Monty Python even though Wilder was American and Idle was British.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
FOR ONLY TWELVE HUMAN DOLLARS YOU TOO CAN OWN A PIECE OF MARVEL HISTORY

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Bury it while you still can.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Bury it while you still can.

I've developed a habit of saying "Hey want to see something HORRIBLE" to every regular customer since we bought that thing.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

But then how will you win the Toys R Us shopping spree??

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

lookit dat lil thumb

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

I've developed a habit of saying "Hey want to see something HORRIBLE" to every regular customer since we bought that thing.

You should get it professionally graded and sealed in one of those blister packs so you can never open it again

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

lookit dat lil thumb

MY THUMBS ARE HUMAN SIZED AND NORMAL

Travis343 posted:

You should get it professionally graded and sealed in one of those blister packs so you can never open it again

A bic lighter is like 77 cents and will do the same job.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Donald? Is that you?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Donald? Is that you?

You better watch it, Asian's be on the list to be kicked out next.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
When I was barely old enough to read, I got comics in Italy, which were of course translated reprints. The inside back cover would have covers of back issues, and I recall seeing that cover and my innocent mind lit up. Wow, it's the 200th issue! And look at all the heroes! I wonder what it's about? I bet all those heroes together are fighting a huge battle with the biggest villains ever! I bet even Doctor Doom is there!:haw:

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

WickedHate posted:

This is me blanking during the Woody Allen scene in Starman all over again. It's not my fault I'm a youthful sprite who knows him from a children's movie and not these old comedies.

I only had an interest in Woody Allen movies because I read that scene as a kid. Also I've only seen Annie Hall.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

As someone who works in a library I can't condone burning any books, no matter how bad they are. Burying on the other hand...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rhyno posted:

You'd end up inhaling some of it. Do you really want it inside your body?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Doctor Spaceman posted:

We're all breathing Hitler particles already.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

At least WickedHate isn't like this one friend I have who actively refuses to try out things that people recommend them just to be spiteful.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

We're all made of Hitler

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Does anyone listen to the "Ridin' Nerdy" podcast? Anything to say about it, is it well regarded?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well the name doesn't inspire much confidence.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Well the name doesn't inspire much confidence.

A guy who works on Comic Book Men hosts it, he's here for a while for some family business so he's doing the cast here as well and he asked me to come on for a comic book themed episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My main problem with podcasts is that I've been ruined by Jeff Gerstmann's standards. He's in charge of the Bombcast and he's steadfastly refused stuff like Skype call ins of guests because the quality is so bad. So now I can't listen to anything that isn't recorded on professional equipment.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I'd be tempted to buy it just so a kid high off latest Avengers movie doesn't accidentally spend his allowance on it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

muscles like this? posted:

My main problem with podcasts is that I've been ruined by Jeff Gerstmann's standards. He's in charge of the Bombcast and he's steadfastly refused stuff like Skype call ins of guests because the quality is so bad. So now I can't listen to anything that isn't recorded on professional equipment.

What, you don't like when the podcast guests sound like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvxLTN2j8ME&t=632s

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skyped podcasts can be fine if whoever is the host gives half a poo poo about it and has everyone calling in record their side of the conversation and then stitches it together (or uses an automation tool).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Might make you pregnant with it

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Podcasts aren't really worth my time unless I'm actually interested or familiar with someone on it. I don't care to waste time listening to a bunch of random dudes talk about comics. Instead I can take two minutes and read posts here to get the same effect.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Do we talk about comics?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well most podcasts don't either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

X-O posted:

Podcasts aren't really worth my time unless I'm actually interested or familiar with someone on it. I don't care to waste time listening to a bunch of random dudes talk about comics. Instead I can take two minutes and read posts here to get the same effect.

not a commuter i see

• Locked thread