Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Humble Bundle themselves do comics fairly often. They recently did a bunch of Star Trek and Sonic The Hedgehog comics, though the current book bundle is a poo poo-ton of Vampire: The Masquerade sourcebooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I watched all of Bojack Season 3 over the past couple of days, instead of reading comics.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Toxxupation posted:

I watched all of Bojack Season 3 over the past couple of days, instead of reading comics.

Same, and now I'm a shallow, souless husk after voiding myself of emotions to never feel what it made me feel again.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Toxxupation posted:

Did you start drinking by the end?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Agent_grey posted:

Im going on vacation to chill out by the pool in spain. Any recommendations for digital comics I should have a crack at?

Any type of thing you want to read?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It's difficult coming to terms with the fact that I found Bojack season 1 downright insufferable for a good 90% of the season and season 2 flawed but very good (but nowhere near the best shows of 2015 or even on some sort of top ten list, considering how incredible 2015 was for television), because going "season 3 is legit one of the best shows currently airing" makes me feel like one of those dudes who waaaaaaaaaaaaay overstated how good of a show Bojack Horseman was for the past two years straight.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
I do like me some horse guy, but Stranger things is calling me first.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Any type of thing you want to read?

Not esspecially, im looking to be surprised I guess.

I don't mind some cape stuff but im leaning more toward the weird and diffrent. Just read Kaptara (love me some Chip) Orbital (love me some european comics) Buzz! (The odd spelling bee fight comic) and Lone Wolf and cub recently.

I guess most of those examples were either done in one or you can dip in and out of. I just wanna stay away from any big 'event' type deals for now, I'll come back to that kinda thing when I get back.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Agent_grey posted:

weird and diffrent

Dial H https://www.comixology.com/Dial-H-2012-2013-The-Deluxe-Edition/digital-comic/219364?ref=c2VyaWVzL3ZpZXcvZGVza3RvcC9ncmlkTGlzdC9PbW5pYnVzZXM

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!

Got the Hardcover signed by China Mieville. Who is a super nice guy.

Right direction though and there was a comic similar I meant to check out that I cant remember the title of. About a fat depressed man who finds out aliens have been making humans miserable because depression is delecious to then.

Does that sound familiar?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Agent_grey posted:

Right direction though and there was a comic similar I meant to check out that I cant remember the title of. About a fat depressed man who finds out aliens have been making humans miserable because depression is delecious to then.

Does that sound familiar?

Please don't doxx me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

It's difficult coming to terms with the fact that I found Bojack season 1 downright insufferable for a good 90% of the season and season 2 flawed but very good (but nowhere near the best shows of 2015 or even on some sort of top ten list, considering how incredible 2015 was for television), because going "season 3 is legit one of the best shows currently airing" makes me feel like one of those dudes who waaaaaaaaaaaaay overstated how good of a show Bojack Horseman was for the past two years straight.

To be fair, you way overstate pretty much everything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So it looks like Mike Deodato has gotten so incredibly lazy that he may have traced 9-11 wreckage for this week's Invincible Iron Man #12.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's pretty tasteless.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

That's pretty tasteless.

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he just GIS'd "wreckage" or "ruined building" and didn't double check the source, but ... Well, I haven't actually seen the art in question, so I got nothin'.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's not like "FIRE THIS MONSTER" or anything but it's not great.I reaaally hope he didn't trace any victims.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Eh, I can see thinking it's tacky but I don't think it's really inherently wrong. Makeup/FX artists for movies routinely base their work off of actual photos of corpses, as I'm sure many comics artists do as well.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Eh, I can see thinking it's tacky but I don't think it's really inherently wrong. Makeup/FX artists for movies routinely base their work off of actual photos of corpses, as I'm sure many comics artists do as well.

I think the general view is that reference photos are fine (especially when taken by the artist, if possible), but tracing isn't.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think the general view is that reference photos are fine (especially when taken by the artist, if possible), but tracing isn't.

That makes more sense.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Judge for yourselves.

http://imgur.com/xIuBmeN

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well that certainly looks familiar

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Somehow less offensive than Marvel's actual 9/11 comic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm not offended. It's just pathetically lazy.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This is the guy who hosed up the Marvel Now promo by Googling Kate Bishop Hawkeye and taking some Deviantartist's imaginary costume*.

*Of course the editors are much more to blame. Still...

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

This guy is worse than land at this point.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

That means I love it still since land is good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

This is the guy who hosed up the Marvel Now promo by Googling Kate Bishop Hawkeye and taking some Deviantartist's imaginary costume*.

*Of course the editors are much more to blame. Still...

At least that one was amusing and had a positive outcome where he admitted it and the artist got some credit for her design being used.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Is it more or less offensive than playing Pokemon GO at the memorial site?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Is it more or less offensive than playing Pokemon GO at the memorial site?

for what? I drive through a local cemetery to grab some stuff if needed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

for what? I drive through a local cemetery to grab some stuff if needed.

Are you even paying attention to the conversation?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Are you even paying attention to the conversation?

Oops. I forgot we were talking about the dumb tracing.

Then I change my answer to no. Catch that koffing.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

site posted:

Well that certainly looks familiar

Familiar to what? I didn't spend a whole lot of time looking but nothing similar came up on the first page for any of the searches. What specific image is he tracing?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Did you actually bother to read rhynos posts?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Nobody reads my posts.

Anyways, he clearly used a different angle but this is a pretty recognizable image.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

site posted:

Yes. Do you not understand the question?

Rhyno claims Deodato traced it and linked the artwork. I looked on google to find the image he traced and couldn't find it. You said it looks familiar. I am asking you to share the image he traced.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Heathen posted:

Rhyno claims Deodato traced it and linked the artwork. I looked on google to find the image he traced and couldn't find it. You said it looks familiar. I am asking you to share the image he traced.
Someone forgot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Heathen posted:

I said "may have" but it's pretty clear that he used the WTC wreckage as his source.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Nobody reads my posts.

Anyways, he clearly used a different angle but this is a pretty recognizable image.

He traced it at a clearly different angle. Got it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

That means I love it still since land is good.

get out

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Heathen posted:

He traced it at a clearly different angle. Got it.

There are literally 100,000+ images of ground zero on Google. I'm not going to dig through every one to find the exact image but most everyone who has looked at it can see where he sourced his background from. And this is a guy who is known for tracing so I don't know why you're being such a dense dipshit about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Whether he traced a specific image (or images) or not, it's abundantly obvious he at least heavily referenced 9/11 images. The large piece of debris on the upper right appears in a LOT of a photos, though not necessarily in a way that lines up exactly (though the photo of the comic is skewed, so it's hard to tell), such as this one. It's a little gross.

• Locked thread