Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm guessing it's pretty hard to just imagine yourself up some realistic looking collapsed building debris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm guessing it's pretty hard to just imagine yourself up some realistic looking collapsed building debris.

Yeah and I feel like very few "burning wreckage" reference images have happy stories behind em.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I wonder if silver age artists traced magazines or newspaper images all the time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Has anybody tried Telltale's Batman game yet?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah. I liked it, the dialogue felt good and Bruce has a real personality even with you able to swing wildly between his responses. Puzzles are super easy though.

I haven't played it twice to see the difference but you seem to be able to control whether Batman is seen as a violent rear end in a top hat like the movies, or a more restrained "do what I have to" type.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Feels like Telltale have scaled back the puzzles in their most recent games, so that doesn't surprise me.

Only thing that stopped me grabbing it was reports of bad performance issues.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I didn't have any issues except for a 30 second sound effect drop out on PS4.

It has that annoying aliasing shimming all over the drat place though.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

I didn't have any issues except for a 30 second sound effect drop out on PS4.
Had the same deal.

I'm a bit lukewarm on it to be honest. It feels clunky in a way that what amounts to an interactive movie shouldn't. You don't have as much control over dialogue in the way I'd prefer from the Walking Dead seasons. Bruce seems to talk a lot without your input. It's also goofy that Bruce is wearing a tuxedo for 90% of the game.

The cafe scene is fun as hell though.

EDIT: Also, I didn't realize it at first, but the game actually has a life bar. When you miss QTEs, you don't automatically fail, but your life bar gets drained and eventually you'll die. Not sure how I feel about it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah supposedly the Steam version is completely hosed though.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Anyone remember how Alpha Protocol let you choose between responses in a James Bond/Jason Bourne/Jack Bauer manner? It'd be cool if this did similar with, say, Growling Maniac Batman/Calm Professional Batman/Concerned Humanitarian And All Round Lovely Chap Batman, just to be able to switch from Chris Bale to Adam West on a dime.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Ghostbusters 3 was an ok movie with a few stupid and/or cringe worthy jokes dragging it down. the nut shot kill shot made me want to die.

Edit: you know what. It felt like a pilot for a live action reboot of the Real Ghostbusters cartoon.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 3, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
^^^ Yeah, the new Ghostbusters is fine. I'd even say it's quite good and possibly better than Ghostbusters 2. And Kate McKinnon dances and lipsyncs off with the whole goddamn film.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Had the same deal.

I'm a bit lukewarm on it to be honest. It feels clunky in a way that what amounts to an interactive movie shouldn't. You don't have as much control over dialogue in the way I'd prefer from the Walking Dead seasons. Bruce seems to talk a lot without your input. It's also goofy that Bruce is wearing a tuxedo for 90% of the game.

The cafe scene is fun as hell though.

EDIT: Also, I didn't realize it at first, but the game actually has a life bar. When you miss QTEs, you don't automatically fail, but your life bar gets drained and eventually you'll die. Not sure how I feel about it.

Wait, THAT's what that is? I thought it was like a super-meter, cuz passing parts of the QTEs seemed to fill it up.
It's also a little wonky in that it results in some of the QTEs not giving feedback on if you passed. I watched a few minutes of a stream and a dude missed all the aim-and-shoot ones because he didn't realise he had to do something.

Also agreed that the cafe scene is the best part of this ep. Just that LONG beat where Bruce and Selina just stare at one another, waiting for the other to make a move. Also pretty funny that Harvey and Selina are played by an actual married couple, and Telltale seem to have somewhat based the character models on the actors.

I actually had to get a refund for the Steam version because it was basically unplayable on my laptop, despite the rest of their games being stutter-y but fine. Plays fine on my XBOne, though.

Anyone wanna speculate on who the actual villain is?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 3, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Successful QTEs fill it back up, I think.

I find the speed of the battle QTEs is quick enough that you're probably going to miss a few and take a couple of hits, which is cool because it doesn't affect your progress at all (the scene continues, the QTE doesn't repeat) and it makes the fights feel realer than invincible flowing water Arkham Batman.

I did miss one non-battle QTE and got Batman shot in the head though.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lurdster, you need to irritate a better class of monied poster. That's one boring-rear end spite av. :sad:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Squizzle posted:

Lurdster, you need to irritate a better class of monied poster. That's one boring-rear end spite av. :sad:

People who hate me don't tend to be very creative.

Anyway, I mentioned the 87 ninja turtles cartoon earlier, so here's this:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Lurdiak is cool and whoever hate buys them avatars is probably just a hardcore tsundere poorly trying to work out their feelings

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That avatar though

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Speaking of avatars, aren't you due for a new one Rhyno?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Speaking of avatars, aren't you due for a new one Rhyno?

Probably. But the only conflict I've had on the forums of late are with 9/11 trace deniers.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Probably. But the only conflict I've had on the forums of late are with 9/11 trace deniers.

Colour gradient can't melt steel beams.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Squizzle posted:

It is rather disturbing, though.

You know, I've no idea who gave me mine, especially since I don't recall expressing any strong feelings either way on Spider-Man Reign. Mind you it is an improvement over the previous one. At the time I was feeling kinda down, and ironically the idea somebody cared enough about my existence to shell out on a avatar & red text was actually a nice little pick-me-up for my self esteem.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yvonmukluk posted:

You know, I've no idea who gave me mine, especially since I don't recall expressing any strong feelings either way on Spider-Man Reign. Mind you it is an improvement over the previous one.

It's pretty hilarious.

Yvonmukluk posted:

At the time I was feeling kinda down, and ironically the idea somebody cared enough about my existence to shell out on a avatar & red text was actually a nice little pick-me-up for my self esteem.

I feel you. You'll all be shocked to hear this, but I am, in fact, an attention whore, and I guess I'm already old news if I don't irritate people enough to buy me a snappy avatar anymore. Unless leaving it blank and boring is a deliberate insult...drat it, that's clever! :argh:

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 4, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Don't make me mad or I'll pay to have your avatar turned into this:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

It's pretty hilarious.

I feel you. You'll all be shocked to hear this, but I am, in fact, an attention whore, and I guess I'm already old news if I don't irritate people enough to buy me a snappy avatar anymore. Unless leaving it blank and boring is a deliberate insult...drat it, that's clever! :argh:

Everybody knows you're going to get banned again in like a week.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Is there an archive of comic book ads anywhere? As in, ads inside comic books, not ads for comic books. Although I guess the two are not mutually exclusive.

Old print ads in geek poo poo are my aesthetic.

Travis343 posted:

Everybody knows you're going to get banned again in like a week.

That's what people were saying a month ago. Have faith in me, Travis-kun!

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Is there an archive of comic book ads anywhere? As in, ads inside comic books, not ads for comic books. Although I guess the two are not mutually exclusive.

Old print ads in geek poo poo are my aesthetic.

That's what people were saying a month ago. Have faith in me, Travis-kun!

The layout is barely even Web 1.0, more Web 0.5, but here: Tomorrow's Heroes has an ad section. Enjoy!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

A Tin Of Beans posted:

The layout is barely even Web 1.0, more Web 0.5, but here: Tomorrow's Heroes has an ad section. Enjoy!

Perfect, thanks! :)

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Now that I think about it, this should have been posted in the funny panels thread.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 4, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Unlucky7 posted:

Now that I think about it, this should have been posted in the funny panels thread.

Tracing the cover of Killing Joke on the first page, we're off to a good start.

e: Read the whole thing. Art...definitely could have been better but overall I liked the portrayal of the Joker. Wish the comics would do more with him like this. I miss the 'showman' Joker with elaborate, theatrical pop-crime. It's nice to see a Joker who's not an all-knowing force of chaos who just kills everyone because he's so crazy and dangerous, maaaan.

I'm assuming you worked on this in some capacity so sorry if you did the art. But if you wrote it good job.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 5, 2016

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So a cheapass copy has led to me playing Arkham Knight, technical disaster or no, and it's really, really fascinating to look at how it handles some things in lieu of that Killing Joke adaptation, whoof.

Also I feel like I'd be more wowed by the somewhat clever sanity effects if they didn't always drop the framerate to 2fps as a dead giveaway something was loading every time.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Are you playing on computer?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Yep. Spoilers: the game is still a wasteland of crap coding.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
In what Grant Morrison Batman book does Bruce go nuts and don the Space Batman costume from the 60's?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
RIP.

I'm playing Arkham Knight in that outfit and I had to explain this to someone the other day.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

END ME SCOOB posted:

So a cheapass copy has led to me playing Arkham Knight, technical disaster or no, and it's really, really fascinating to look at how it handles some things in lieu of that Killing Joke adaptation, whoof.
I would like to know more about what you mean, exactly.

(I've played all through Knight (on PC!), so feel free to go into deets)

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 5, 2016

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

END ME SCOOB posted:

RIP.

I'm playing Arkham Knight in that outfit and I had to explain this to someone the other day.

Thanks!

(It's in stock :dance:)

Arkham Asylum aside, what are the best books from G-Mo's run? I'm on a tight budget at the moment and can't really afford to buy the whole thing.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Castor Poe posted:

Thanks!

Arkham Asylum aside, what are the best books from G-Mo's run? I'm on a tight budget at the moment and can't really afford to buy the whole thing.

They all kind of build off each other during the run, honestly. However, the early arc with J H Williams III on art (The Black Glove) is still standalone and you could jump in (I would still probably read Batman and Son first if you can.) Batman and Robin starring Dick and Damian is great poo poo, with fantastic art by a few different artists throughout.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 5, 2016

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Castor Poe posted:

Thanks!

If you're tight on money, start with the big Batman and Son trade. It's a combination of the previous trades of Batman and Son and Batman and the Black Glove, and sets up the entire run. It's also really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If you're tight on money, start with the big Batman and Son trade. It's a combination of the previous trades of Batman and Son and Batman and the Black Glove, and sets up the entire run. It's also really good.

Durr, I forgot they combined those into one book. And I own it! Yeah, that should definitely be your first buy/read.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 5, 2016

• Locked thread