Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i seem to recall that at least some of the slot-1 motherboards required you to plug in an add-on voltage regulator board if you wanted to run a second CPU.

also uhhh obviously you should be going slot 2 and dropping in some sw8 xeons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

legit my life was coding on ultrasparc2's 2000-2004

was good times. i drank too much coffee though.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i seem to recall that at least some of the slot-1 motherboards required you to plug in an add-on voltage regulator board if you wanted to run a second CPU.

yaaaay VRMs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_regulator_module

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I believe I have found the correct one for the board I'm getting

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Welp I'm watching an auction for a pair of 933mhz P3s with some rambus as well. the wait is killing me though. there's a different seller with a stock of the 1ghz/133fsb P3s at a decent price so I could just buy two. I'm gonna guess those are better anyway? havin a hard time dropping the hammer on this one

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
ebay is such a loving scam these days

i mean, it always WAS, but now its real bad. you have all these two bit con men trying to make a few ends by inflating prices and motherfuckers dumb enough to furiously slap at the "bid" button. it just plain sucks. sure you can find something reasonable but you gotta hunt like a mofo for it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it is incredibly simple to own balls on ebay

1: Does the thing exist on amazon prime? is it at an ok price? loving buy it there you idiot
2: ok ebay. can you spend some time losing auctions before you get what you want? if not, go up to step 1.
3: ignore every single "buy it now".
4: you never bid before the last five (ideally two) seconds of an auction. snyping is literal victoryville. use completed auctions and set hard price ceilings. only bid that. never more. dont get emotional.
5: use a snypebot or tool to accomplish this while remaining objective.
6: if somebody sells a broken thing as "used", it has to work 100%. you can gently caress a seller + get your poo poo for free if its low value, or get a full refund if it's high, if they arent smart enough to mark its condition as "for parts or repair".
7: if you get a thing and dont want to pay for it, open an "item not as described" dispute. Ebay will ask you to provide the tracking number and ship it back to the seller. Put a brick in the box and send it back. once they have signed for the package they have literally no recourse and can't even give you negative feedback.

the last two are suggested as a joke, but they are also real.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

dang rude

I convinced myself to get the 1000mhz pentiums. they were $900 new. I did not pay that much.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I might have to buy a SCSI hard drive.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

was liebermann computers / go-l / l-computer / w/e aronud in 2000? the fake computer company i mean

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

as someone who has dropped a humiliating amount of money on amiga/atari/apple gear it's hilarious and a bit sad that pc gear of the same era is worth anything at all now, it sure wasn't 10 or even 5 years ago

there's literally 15 times more of it out there than said commodore etc stuff too, so it's not like it's even remotely rare. i guess some pc parts are high demand/rare, like the gravis ultrasound, but there's no reason why putting together an average AT system with average parts shouldn't still cost peanuts

Slow-Scan Shep fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 5, 2016

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Silver Alicorn posted:

I might have to buy a SCSI hard drive.

hell yeah man get yourself an array of 15Krpm hard drives

burning swine
May 26, 2004

hells yeah full giglehertz

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

it is incredibly simple to own balls on ebay

1: Does the thing exist on amazon prime? is it at an ok price? loving buy it there you idiot
2: ok ebay. can you spend some time losing auctions before you get what you want? if not, go up to step 1.
3: ignore every single "buy it now".
4: you never bid before the last five (ideally two) seconds of an auction. snyping is literal victoryville. use completed auctions and set hard price ceilings. only bid that. never more. dont get emotional.
5: use a snypebot or tool to accomplish this while remaining objective.
6: if somebody sells a broken thing as "used", it has to work 100%. you can gently caress a seller + get your poo poo for free if its low value, or get a full refund if it's high, if they arent smart enough to mark its condition as "for parts or repair".
7: if you get a thing and dont want to pay for it, open an "item not as described" dispute. Ebay will ask you to provide the tracking number and ship it back to the seller. Put a brick in the box and send it back. once they have signed for the package they have literally no recourse and can't even give you negative feedback.

the last two are suggested as a joke, but they are also real.
7 is lovely, but gently caress someone selling something as used but not working and not making note of that

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

yeah, tons of people think they can sell broken poo poo as "used" as long as they put the magic word "as-is" in the description in 3pt font

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

im the guy selling a random ISA card for $50 under the "vintage computing" category

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

untested no-name 486 motherboard with every single socketed chip pulled out and listed separately (or lost). that'll be $250 please

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I'm gettin lots of shipping notifications

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

if you're not using an inwin q500 gtfo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

haven't picked a case yet. was planning on something modern maybe

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Silver Alicorn posted:

haven't picked a case yet. was planning on something modern maybe

gently caress that. get an intel sc5000

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
get an old dell case. like the clamshell one.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

dont get anything more modern than one of those chieftec/antec things that were common as dirt in the early 2000s. you know the ones alienware used originally, only get a big-honkin beige fulltower version (CHIEFTEC DA-01W?)

fill up all the drive bays. 2 optical drives, a fan controller, one of those clunky as hell things that gave you usb ports in the front by dragging cables all the way through and out the back of the case and plugging them into the motherboard, couple hard drive trays (so u can swap hard drives like a l33t hax0r, one has win2k another has win98 and another lunix, preferably a dead distro like mandrake). ooh, and a tape drive, gotta back up all those critical game save files

and then mod the living poo poo out of it, old-school style. self-cut acrylic window, blowhole for fans, dryer-hose fan ducts, THE WORKS

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
the 1ghz athlon thunderbird was the definitive processor of y2k your p3 is a pos

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

ahem..

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

mine is in a giant full size antec case that has a front that rolls down slowly when you press a button on the top to reveal the cd drivers which for some reason it could hold like 8.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

RBC posted:

ahem..

pretty sure I only need one linux kernel, if any

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

pretty sure I only need one linux kernel, if any

sounds like someones mad he's 2 kernels short of an acorn

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i demand this beast have a zip drive

granny kernlin' not double kernlin' like you should. you're lucky that hundred mhz overclock didn't blow the solders on the motherboard!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

RBC posted:

ahem..

lol that the kernel was ever that small

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

SO DEMANDING posted:

im the guy selling a random ISA card for $50 under the "vintage computing" category

I am actually the guy

check the completed auctions for that card, some of them are worth ca$h

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i demand dual peltier coolers

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol that the kernel was ever that small

how many compilations an hour could those chips do with a modern kernel?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

i demand dual peltier coolers

only the finest stock heat sinks for me

Rawrl
Mar 30, 2010
op have you tried vogons.org? it started out as the DOSbox dev forum, but there's an entire subforum for this kind of stuff. lots of useful information.

Rawrl
Mar 30, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

I am actually the guy

check the completed auctions for that card, some of them are worth ca$h

whats it like being an ebay scalper and artificially inflating the market?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
:qq: my loving ebay market :qq:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you sir are RAPING the pro audio spectrum market and I will not stand for such treachery and scummy behaviour.

Just see if you can move any of those on vintage-computers.biz or the ThrowbackBox fora. I'll shut you down like an overheated C64 supply.

just loving try it

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Rawrl posted:

whats it like being an ebay scalper and artificially inflating the market?

i pull expansion cards people can use out of the bin and buy them by weight before they get ground up and sell them to people with old computers

what's your excuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawrl
Mar 30, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

i pull expansion cards people can use out of the bin and buy them by weight before they get ground up and sell them to people with old computers

what's your excuse

I grew up garbage-picking this kind of stuff, and can still get it for free/next to nothing thanks to recycling connections. I resent the upward trend in prices because - from my experience - they aren't worth remotely that much.

I grab things purely for personal use, but if I were inclined to sell them I certainly wouldn't charge two hundred united states dollars for a seventeen-year-old motherboard.

• Locked thread