Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Turns out no one actually wants the Metroid game no one wanted. Such a surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm pretty sure Nintendo aren't robots and will just realize people don't want Metroid spinoffs.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Keep in mind Bravely Second was considered to have a mediocre Japanese launch and it sold 140k copies the first week. These Metroid numbers are really, really bad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Considering it sold worse than Splatoon, a game that has been out for a year and a half, I'd say yes that's pretty drat bad.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm pretty sure Nintendo aren't robots and will just realize people don't want Metroid spinoffs.

Federation Force would have been fine in an alternate reality where Metroid is a huge and widely beloved franchise akin to, say, Mario or something. We unfortunately live in the reality where the last official Metroid game is still highly criticized and mocked and the series probably needs to save face again before doing the spinoff thing.

Like Prime Pinball came out shortly after the series revival between 2002 and 2007 when the Prime series was in full swing and Fusion and Zero Mission came out. The games were in the public eye, had strong presence among pretty much the entire GameCube and GBA market, and were well received by gamers and critics all over. All of these games scratched the Metroid itch pretty good so few people gave much of a poo poo when Pinball came out because it was clearly meant to be a fun side-game to a series that was fairly strong at the time.

Also Prime Pinball was actually good so that matters too I guess.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah I don't think Federation Force is selling poorly because it insults Metroid as a franchise or whatever, I think it's selling poorly because it looks stupid and isn't fun at all.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

It was never going to sell well in Japan.

It was never going to sell well anywhere.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

It was never going to sell well anywhere.

This too.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

Had completely forgotten about Xenoblade; a friend of mine has offered to lend me his WiiU a couple times now, so I may take him up on the offer and just buy it on the Virtual Console.

Also I just booted up my PS3 for the first time in forever; somewhere along the way I got Persona 3 and Yakuza 4 (I have a shared account with a friend so sometimes he gets new stuff, that would explain Yakuza 5 being here).\

I think I'll start with Persona 3 and see about taking Xenoblade for a spin if I get that WiiU.

I'll be doing some research with the other suggestions, so thanks all!

When you get bored of jrpgs about 2 hours in, play Yakuza(either), a game with better writing, plot, and actual fun gameplay.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah I don't think Federation Force is selling poorly because it insults Metroid as a franchise or whatever, I think it's selling poorly because it looks stupid and isn't fun at all.

I didn't mean to imply that, yeah. What I'm trying to say is that if Pinball turned out to be garbage and flopped its sales (maybe it did? I dunno the figure) nobody would have given nearly as much of a poo poo as they are for FF because hey there were five other, somewhat recently-released actual Metroid games to play that range from "pretty good" to "loving awesome."

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Now is not the time for garbage spin-offs, Nintendo.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

bloodychill posted:

Now is not the time for garbage spin-offs, Nintendo.

The Japanese market has spoken and they want more Kirby.

Kirby's Air Ride 2 for 3DS, coming in 2017.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I would play Air Ride 2 over a new metroid

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Raserys posted:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

So it turns out I don't like sneakthiefing in Skyrim all that much.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Give me Metroid Air Ride nintendo

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Was able to get Dragon's Dogma for $16 off GMG, time to... wait drat it Nioh.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The Japanese market has spoken and they want more Kirby.

Kirby's Air Ride 2 for 3DS, coming in 2017.

This is fun and good but also, I would totally love another Kirby pinball spinoff because Kirby pinball was great on the gameboy.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
yeah seriously play atelier ayesha or escha logy because they are real good and have good music

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

So it turns out I don't like sneakthiefing in Skyrim all that much.

Maybe something traumatic happened to your cat, now she has gone berserk and uses 2h weapons to smash things to bits.

Sneaking is most fun if you use arrows or magic to distract enemies until you get 70+ sneak and can pickpocket enemies from the front in broad daylight.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Raserys posted:

:same:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Help me decide what RPG to start playing on this, my day off. My choices are:

- Disgaea 3 (have played the first several sections a bunch)
- Disgaea 4
- Disgaea D2
- Atelier Ayesha
- Skyrim (I'd be starting a new character)
- Dragon's Dogma
- Tales of Xillia

I've only really dipped my toe into these games except where otherwise noted.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Help me decide what RPG to start playing on this, my day off. My choices are:

- Disgaea 3 (have played the first several sections a bunch)
- Disgaea 4
- Disgaea D2
- Atelier Ayesha
- Skyrim (I'd be starting a new character)
- Dragon's Dogma
- Tales of Xillia

I've only really dipped my toe into these games except where otherwise noted.

Tales of Xillia

I've only played Vesperia, but I liked it quite a bit, and Xillia looks like a fun time from what little I've seen of it

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Does anyone know whether I should start as the goddess or the student?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
EVE Online is getting a Free-To-Play function in November - https://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/introducing-clone-states-and-the-future-of-access-to-eve-online/

Basically it's removing the limit from how their Free Trial accounts work right now with some slight changes. It'll be pretty interesting, on paper I like what they're proposing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Does anyone know whether I should start as the goddess or the student?

Basically it amounts to this:

Jude's story is more complete in that there is a significant part of the story that Millia is not there for. On the other hand Milla gets some interesting worldbuilding Jude doesn't. If you HAVE to pick one, pick Jude.

In both cases you're going to miss some stuff but Jude's stuff is more significant.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You should play Dragon's Dogma, Arisen

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
"Youtube no longer allowing monetization on "drama" videos"

What does "Drama" mean?

quote:

Advertiser-friendly content is content that's appropriate for all audiences. It has little to no inappropriate or mature content in the video stream, thumbnail, or metadata (such as in the video title). If the video does contain inappropriate content, the context is usually newsworthy or comedic and the creator’s intent is to inform or entertain (not offend or shock).

Content that is considered "not advertiser-friendly" includes, but is not limited to:

Sexually suggestive content, including partial nudity and sexual humor
Violence, including display of serious injury and events related to violent extremism
Inappropriate language, including harassment, profanity and vulgar language
Promotion of drugs and regulated substances, including selling, use and abuse of such items
Controversial or sensitive subjects and events, including subjects related to war, political conflicts, natural disasters and tragedies, even if graphic imagery is not shown

So it can still pay to be an angry swearing gamer nerd but only if it informs or entertains?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Lizard Wizard says to post this, please vote

http://www.strawpoll.me/11126970

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Those vague rules on what qualifies as "drama" worry me. Like what if it's just a video of your friends loving around playing video games and the video just so happens to contain swearing? Channels like Super Best Friends are based around that whole concept, so if that's enough to bring their money flow to a halt, then I worry for the channels that aren't run by complete assholes (like Keemstar)

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Help Im Alive posted:

Lizard Wizard says to post this, please vote

http://www.strawpoll.me/11126970

This poll is invalid as there is no "checkbox" option.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

"Youtube no longer allowing monetization on "drama" videos"

What does "Drama" mean?

So it can still pay to be an angry swearing gamer nerd but only if it informs or entertains?

My lets play video that is titled 'that fucker rich evans' got unmonetized lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYVhmBa6ZrY

edit: wow it's unmonetized but there are still ads, gg google i have been owned

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gee Lizard Wizard thanks for reminding me that I still can't continue playing Wild Arms 3 because the PS4 version has a horrible crashing glitch that they apparently aren't going to bother patching.

:smith:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Those vague rules on what qualifies as "drama" worry me. Like what if it's just a video of your friends loving around playing video games and the video just so happens to contain swearing? Channels like Super Best Friends are based around that whole concept, so if that's enough to bring their money flow to a halt, then I worry for the channels that aren't run by complete assholes (like Keemstar)

It's alredy hitting "Ranting" videos about things that aren't specific people as well as anything that seems to include vulgar language in the title (^^^see above) so like a lot of their ideas this may have had good intentions but incorporated horribly.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the world could stand to be a bit less crass. good on them

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

It's alredy hitting "Ranting" videos about things that aren't specific people as well as anything that seems to include vulgar language in the title (^^^see above) so like a lot of their ideas this may have had good intentions but incorporated horribly.

The "you can't monetize it but we still will" attitude is hilarious and insulting

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

oddium posted:

the world could stand to be a bit less crass. good on them

Our forefathers fought the King of England so that anyone that wishes could swear and break wind to a viewing audience.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

CJacobs posted:

The "you can't monetize it but we still will" attitude is hilarious and insulting

Welcome to Capitalism.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Welcome to Capitalism.

What's funny about it to me is it's totally different from how it usually works; with normal unmonetized videos, there are no ads whatsoever besides the block ad in the top right of the page that's there no matter what. With this, the video is monetized by... I dunno, it won't tell me, but it's no longer monetized by me but it still has ads regardless.

It tells me that it's unmonetized even though it still is (just not by me), instead of it being X'd out like the video below in the screencap. With that one, the little C means it's being monetized by a copyright claimant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

new youtube rules reaction videos starting to get uploaded. much delicious salt

• Locked thread