Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I feel this thread doesn't have anything retro for the Slavs. Time to remedy this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUoJBerFDsA

It really broke my heart when I booted up my Amiga last year and found out I no longer have the patience to wait for games to load. The years of SSD drives have ruined me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Modding consoles so they can use RGB and hooking them up to a PVM is all fine and dandy, but if you want the real authentic retro gaming experience you daisy chain a bunch of RF adapters up to a crappy tv. Picture quality, what's that? Ten year old me didn't care and honestly RF doesn't bother today me either.

The reason I say this because although I have a Trinitron it's an old 80s model that only has RF output.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 1, 2016

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Please add this to the OP with regards to VGA grading:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/122034604912

silentq15
Nov 28, 2008
May I suggest adding these guys to the Youtube Idiots section as they are probably the best RGB explanation video I have seen and a huge help for newcomers:

My Life in Gaming - The RGB Master Class

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTNBVisVMbSR1ZDDQRgjg6S9D2YQ4rwnZ

Great OP tho.

silentq15 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 1, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So I know the OP says that most retrogaming enthusiasts here use original hardware, but I've gotten into using a Raspberry Pi as a Neo Geo emulator given how loving expensive Neo Geo stuff is. Is there a USB arcade stick (not normal handheld controller) that is relatively cheap but also considered good? I know I could use one of the big expensive ones that competitive fighting game players use, but I don't need something with that much accuracy and that high of a price tag.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Drone posted:

So I know the OP says that most retrogaming enthusiasts here use original hardware, but I've gotten into using a Raspberry Pi as a Neo Geo emulator given how loving expensive Neo Geo stuff is. Is there a USB arcade stick (not normal handheld controller) that is relatively cheap but also considered good? I know I could use one of the big expensive ones that competitive fighting game players use, but I don't need something with that much accuracy and that high of a price tag.

Two options:

1, if you can find them, are the WWE Brawl sticks, which are low-cost 360 and PS3 8-button arcade sticks. That used to be findable for like 30 bucks on clearance.

2. Also if you can find them are the USB controllers for the Neo Geo X, which are low-cost clones of the Neo Geo sticks. They're not fantastic but get the job done, and I think would be similarly priced (maybe up to $60), should be fairly easy to find.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

univbee posted:

Two options:

1, if you can find them, are the WWE Brawl sticks, which are low-cost 360 and PS3 8-button arcade sticks. That used to be findable for like 30 bucks on clearance.

2. Also if you can find them are the USB controllers for the Neo Geo X, which are low-cost clones of the Neo Geo sticks. They're not fantastic but get the job done, and I think would be similarly priced (maybe up to $60), should be fairly easy to find.

I have a brawl stick myself and once you throw in parts they work great. They already have quick disconnects and everything so you can just drop in legit parts no problem.

If you're using windows I'd try for a 360 stick since it's xinput but the ps3 works great as a HID device even if the buttons are wired goofy.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

silentq15 posted:

May I suggest adding these guys to the Youtube Idiots section as they are probably the best RGB explanation video I have seen and a huge help for newcomers:

My Life in Gaming - The RGB Master Class

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTNBVisVMbSR1ZDDQRgjg6S9D2YQ4rwnZ

Great OP tho.

I was just about to post these guys as well! Their RGB videos have been super helpful to me, not to mention they shoot a ton of gorgeous footage of old games with lots of comparison shots. Most thorough YouTube coverage of the topic I've come across.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Great new thread. Only thing I suggest is a section on the portable handhelds like Gameboy, Game Gear, Nomad, Turbo Express, and the rest.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Agrias120 posted:

EDIT: I second the Tetrisphere recommendation. I loving love that game. Every time I show it to someone new it always starts with, "What? What is this. Why would I play this instead of...:aaa:".

Tetrisphere is the good game on the N64. :colbert:

If we're complaining about things missing in the OP, where's the public transit games section? Densha de Go and it's brethren are a vital part of retrogaming.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

falz posted:

Things to fill in for 'Cult Classics' for SMS in my opinion, in alphabetical order:

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
Astro Warrior (play this with the Sports pad!)
Golden Axe Warrior
Penguin Land
Snail Maze Game

There's probably a few Non-US games that could perhaps replace a few things on this list, but I cannot speak to them.

I'd go with Wonder Boy in Monster Land and one of the Aleste/Power Strike games instead of Astro Warrior or Alex Kidd. But I guess Alex Kidd has more of a cult following.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
There was already a Wonder Boy game on the list, hence ignoring the other. But sure Power Strike 1/2 could replace Astro Warrior, except each of those are 3 figures and Astro Warrior is cheap. You pretty much have to have at least one Alex Kidd game on a recommended SMS list though- intentionally did Shinobi World as it's less frequently referred to (and unfortunately much more expensive).

Another thing that sorta fits the list but is non exclusive is Ghouls n Ghosts- the SMS port is sort of the arcade/genesis game but with new elements not found elsewhere - shops with weapon upgrades to sustain more than two hits on your suit.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

To inaugurate the new thread, I have done something crazy.

No, I didn't buy that. But what I did do is order a couple of Chinese reproductions.

I don't think it's really come up around here before, but there's Chinese manufacturers who are taking advantage of the retrogame boom to run off a few hundred copies of a ROM they downloaded. SNES stuff tends to be a bit pricier but if you just look it's not hard to find a place that will run off any Genesis/Mega Drive game for you for less than $5 including shipping from China. (I'm pushing at the edge of the :filez: rule here, but I assume that if you really want to go do this you know how to find the largest Chinese manufacturing marketplace out there on your own).

I ordered a couple of games that were unreleased in the US in US cases, but I'm interested in if they work at all (a big if when it comes to Chinese carts), what the shell is like, and how easy fraud would be using these carts.

FWIW, there are more expensive reproductions of Chrono Trigger on the same site and they do claim to be able to save. It looks like the more expensive SNES reproductions run about $18 - $25. Though I definitely wouldn't get Star Fox 2 from them.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
what's a relatively cheap usb controller that would be good for retro-ing

edit i'm asking because i was thinking of doing a stream type thing where i played through the big list of games you jerks helped me compile a while back, plus some other stuff that i know i need to play

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 1, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kid Fenris posted:

But I guess Alex Kidd has more of a cult following.

I'll truly never understand this :psyduck:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Literally The Worst posted:

Retropie people seem to fawn over this one but I just use an old 360 controller.

Back to my arcade stick question, I'm now thinking of just making a project of it and building my own. More expensive than going with a cheapie like this one that I found but also cooler.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'll truly never understand this :psyduck:

Sad Kid Whose Parent Bought Them a Master System: "Alex Kidd really is as good as Mario. It is! It really is!"

(The not sad kids with Master Systems were playing better games, obviously.)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

edit i'm asking because i was thinking of doing a stream type thing where i played through the big list of games you jerks helped me compile a while back, plus some other stuff that i know i need to play

If you're not going to be playing systems that need analog sticks, those Logitech USB PS2 controller knockoff work pretty well and can be had super cheap used.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

I was gonna suggest a Madcatz fightpad but then i looked up prices and lol

If you can get one cheap they're great for emulation though

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
yeah i went with the buffalo thing. i should have it wednesday, i'll probably fart around with everything a little more and do a stream friday night, then everyone can watch me fail miserably at old games

unrelated, but it should be mentioned for the new thread that the PS Vita is finally hacked, and it's only a matter of time before that's a dope handheld emulation platform

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

:firstpost:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Link to the Past and the NES Zeldas use a CR2032 battery, right?

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 1, 2016

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

d0s posted:

replacing the mechanism entirely with something like the Blinking Light Win.

Bought one of these a few months back and it's legit the best retro game-related purchase I've made in the past several years.

At least until I get some good S-Video cables for my SNES and N64 at least.

Instant Sunrise posted:

Link to the Past and the NES Zeldas use a CR2302 battery, right?

CR2032

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 1, 2016

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

d0s posted:

hey if any of you stream retro games post your twitch links or whatever and I'll put a section in the op for people to watch you play video games

We stream an older game typically on Thursday nights over here: http://twitch.tv/cathodecontraption

There's not really much of a focus here, but the main gimmick is that we typically play on a CRT monitor while splitting the signal and upscaling through a Framemeister just for the stream, which is very nice.

But I also am an easily bored person so we do some weird stuff sometimes. The last thing we did (which you can still see the end of) was what I called The Secret of Monkey Island: Despecialized Edition. Basically we ran the EGA and VGA versions simultaneously and switched between them using a VGA switcher and talked about the differences.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

d0s posted:

hey if any of you stream retro games post your twitch links or whatever and I'll put a section in the op for people to watch you play video games

https://www.twitch.tv/dickeye gonna be streaming whenever the gently caress, playing through that big list of retro games you all helped draft, which is still taking submissions

first stream will be friday night!

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

great op, i think having the pictures of the various consoles is a nice touch and will hopefully attract new posters.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I'd add this "YT idiot" to the OP for anyone interested in doing front or backlight mods to their GB/GBC/GBA, handheldlegend.com even started linking his videos for their install guides:

This Does Not Compute
https://youtube.com/user/cwwirth

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

al-azad posted:

Posting a reminder to myself to do a mega post on Japanese PC emulation because that's a brick wall to dive into.

Yes, but Totally-Original-Property-Starring-Two-Tough-Anime-Babes-In-Sci-Fi-Antics-Not-At-All-Inspired-By-Dirty-Pair game Trouble Shooter on Genesis is pretty good.

It might be better for the Retro Computing thread. Never not Falcom dammit.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I was going to see about buying another CRT, as while I like the one I have...it only has RF so it won't ever have that amazing picture. But all the Goodwills and Savation Army's near my house got rid of all their CRTs. That blows since I rather avoid Craiglist at all cost.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rirse posted:

I was going to see about buying another CRT, as while I like the one I have...it only has RF so it won't ever have that amazing picture. But all the Goodwills and Savation Army's near my house got rid of all their CRTs. That blows since I rather avoid Craiglist at all cost.

I'm in the same boat. Try Christian thrift shops and antique stores, I'm sure they have a few CRTs they're dying to offload.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rirse posted:

Drive around town around garbage day, you're bound to find someone putting an old CRT at the curb.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Or even just look for garage sales on the weekends, you'll see one at nearly any sale with electronic stuff.

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

Rirse posted:

Try some off brand thrift stores. They still sometimes carry CRTs. I picked up another tiny Trinitron to mess with an Atari XEGS on and I was tempted to buy this HD CRT I saw at another. I probably would have killed myself trying to move it though.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I tried the new Vita homebrew exploit and it's super easy. Tried a SNES emulator and a GBA emulator. The GBA emulator is really rough. Sound is bad and the game I tested (Max Payne) was really slow. Tried the SNES emulator and played Super Metroid and Super Mario World and it worked great. It's a lot better than the PSP based emulation of the SNES which relied on the Media Engine which is available in a real PSP but not in the emulated PSP layer on the Vita (so the existing PSP SNES emulators on vita run like poo poo).

The screen on the Vita is so much nicer than the PSP. Glad I have a new handheld emulation machine, and things like GBA emulators are only going to get better. I'd love to see what this thing can do with DS games in time.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Drone posted:

I just bought one of these. It's not exactly top of the line, but it works great for emulation. I've only tried it on PC, but it works on PS4 if you've got one of those too. You're not gonna find anything this good for cheaper than $40.

https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Fightin...ng+Stick+Mini+4

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

falz posted:

Things to fill in for 'Cult Classics' for SMS in my opinion, in alphabetical order:

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
Astro Warrior (play this with the Sports pad!)
Golden Axe Warrior
Penguin Land
Snail Maze Game

There's probably a few Non-US games that could perhaps replace a few things on this list, but I cannot speak to them.

I haven't played much SMS, but my cult picks would be Missile Defense 3-D and Fantasy Zone: The Maze

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I just bought one of these. It's not exactly top of the line, but it works great for emulation. I've only tried it on PC, but it works on PS4 if you've got one of those too. You're not gonna find anything this good for cheaper than $40.

https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Fightin...ng+Stick+Mini+4
I have the precursor, and while I haven't used for a lot of retrogaming stuff, it's very solid for its price, and the PS4 one was highly recommended to me when I was looking for a budget fight stick. I also happen to know Drone lives in the same country as I do and it's a bit harder to get by good controller hardware here, so yeah I'd probably give that one a go.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rirse posted:

Besides what other people have suggested, you could also try seeing if there are any local pickup options on Ebay (which is kind of Craigslist-y, I guess, but maybe the people offering stuff are a step above CL's sketchy userbase). If you have any colleges or universities near where you live, you might see if they have a surplus property department that does public sales. I also know that I saw a fair amount of CRTs at the end of the term near the student housing dumpsters of my university, when students move out due to graduation or for whatever reason.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I might have lucked out, as my brother's soon to be wife has several CRTs that are not in use at their house, so I just going to ask for one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

If the Vita takes off as an emulation device, get ready for a second wave of bitching about memory card prices.

• Locked thread