Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Alex Kidd in Miracle World, the very first game, is not a bad game for its time and most of the fond memories people have for the series/character relate to that one game.

Rock-Paper-Scissors bosses. That is completely inexcusable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Here is a YT channel for people I'm sure y'all have watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?phreakindee - Lazy Game Reviews. More classic PC than console, but still good. I need more YT channels to subscribe to though. I already subscribe to all the ones in the OP.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Harlock posted:

Here is a YT channel for people I'm sure y'all have watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?phreakindee - Lazy Game Reviews. More classic PC than console, but still good. I need more YT channels to subscribe to though. I already subscribe to all the ones in the OP.

I totally forgot about this guy, I always found his voice or attitude or something really annoying but his videos can be good. impressive ability to live in piles of hardware

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yeah, LGR is pretty great. One of the few times that looking at the videos YouTube suggested to me actually paid off.

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.
It looks like I've broken another NES. One died of static electricity shock when I tried to reset it, my latest console is showing wavy lines of interference consistent with what people say is a bad capacitor. Are there any trustworthy repair places? Are they even worth repairing, or should I just buy another doomed console?

The repair videos looked beyond my abilities and equipment. That box with all the caps looks impossible to remove from the board without a pro desoldering gun and soldering iron.

I also have a Colecovision in dire need of refurbishing, if they also handle those.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

TheMcD posted:

With the amount of times I've had to deal with corruption on my 32GB Vita card, I'll stick with my GCW-Zero for my handheld emulation needs, thank you very much.

This happened to my 16GB card the other day, and I had to reformat it. Good thing the only saves I lost were for reviewed games that I'll likely never play again. Is that a common problem with Vita cards?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's just a side effect of the fact that it has a database (because encryption) and also that it never closes the database file unless you normally power down the system, so a power failure or removing the card can corrupt your database and cause it to forget everything.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

UnhandledException posted:

It looks like I've broken another NES. One died of static electricity shock when I tried to reset it, my latest console is showing wavy lines of interference consistent with what people say is a bad capacitor. Are there any trustworthy repair places? Are they even worth repairing, or should I just buy another doomed console?

The repair videos looked beyond my abilities and equipment. That box with all the caps looks impossible to remove from the board without a pro desoldering gun and soldering iron.

I also have a Colecovision in dire need of refurbishing, if they also handle those.

I could take a look at it if you want. You don't have PM's, so just send me an email at monitorburn at gee mail dot com

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
So a couple years back I bought an ebay lot of six "broken" Sega Genesis' for like $40.The four original models worked right out of the box and so did one of the model 2s, but the other model 2 had a fried voltage regulator. It was also really scuffed up. I'd sat on it until now when I decided to use it for my newest project: The Sega MegaGear.

It's my childhood Gamegear consolized inside of a Genesis 2 shell with a GGTV mod (from the NESRGB guy) and controller ports. It takes standard Master System or Genesis controllers, with the reset button working as the "start" button. The controllers are wired up like Master System controllers, which is why the start button won't work. I did turn one standard three button Genesis controller into a special "MegaGear" controller by wiring it's start button to the select logic line and cutting the trace to it, then running that line to "start," which is great for those Gamegear games that use start as a third button. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but the LED windows are colored like the Geargear logo. Also, my homemade Holy Diver and Magical Doropie repros are back there photobombing us.

Anyway, I gave it S-Video, and a Framemeister RGB port:

As you can see the shell was really beat up, I've tried to clean it up a bit by buffing some of the worst scratches out but it's still pretty ugly. Anyway, video on my CRT looks like this:

The borders are a little distracting, but there isn't anything that can be done about them. The Gamegear's native resolution is too small to fill the 240p area. I don't have a Mastergear converter, or an EverdriveGG yet, but I have it wired so that Master System games will display fullscreen.
Either way, through RGB with the Framemeister's zoom it looks beautiful:

Never thought I'd be playing my childhood gamegear on a 32" LCD Monitor in the TYOOL 2016 but here we are.

ANYWAY this was a hell of a project, definitely one of the hardest mods I've ever done. The worst part was desoldering the cart connector, reshaping the pins, then mounting that to the top of the Genesis shell and wiring each pin back to the Gamegear. Also the solder points for the GGTV are tiny, and before you can do anything you have to completely recap the stupid thing with it's 15 or so surface mount caps. But there doesn't seem to be anything like it out there and despite it looking a little ugly I'm pretty proud of it. Now that I know how to do it, I'm considering maybe making a couple for resell someday and do them up right. Have to save up a bit and get a EverdriveGG to make sure the master system functionality works right...maybe even try adding a master system port with FM sound, like one mod that I saw. But after 12+ hours of work on this thing I just want to play some games dammit.

Polly Toodle fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 2, 2016

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Random Stranger posted:

Rock-Paper-Scissors bosses. That is completely inexcusable.
On the plus side, they follow a pattern. There's a set combination you can do to win every time.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Miles McCloud posted:

Radical Game Gear project stuff

loving
AWESOME

Nice work, man! An obvious labor of love, not just for the work involved in adding the Game Gear stuff, but also for adding the S-Video output and RGB stuff, modding the controllers, and changing up the dang ol' console logo. Five thumbs up!

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Tobaccrow posted:

On the plus side, they follow a pattern. There's a set combination you can do to win every time.

Plus, you only have to deal with the first two before you get the telepathy ball, at which point winning is just a matter of having quick reaction times when they try to fake you out by changing their choice right at the end of the timer.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
MegaGear is awesome stuff.

Hey, how hard is it to replace the batteries in NES and SNeS cartridges? I figure you get a New Battery, wire up some leads to it, alligator clip to cart, replace old battery on cart, all to prevent the memory from wiping.

That sound right?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/08/feature_unboxing_the_super_famicom_new_nintendo_3ds_xl

Hmmm sexy.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I'll repeat from the last thread that you guys in the US just get 32" Sony Trinitrons and PVM CRT monitor thrown at you at every corner, but for us here in the EU, it's not quite so easy.

However, this is what everyone in the EU should look for:

See how loving classy that is?

It's a Bang & Olufsens MX television, which should be near you for anywhere from cheap to about €50. Make sure you get the remote control included, since there are no controls on screen. It has RGB scart, and will happily do NTSC, 480i, 240p, 576i and deinterlacing with scanlines of interlaced signals. I don't bother messing around with real old hardware because of the cost, so I have a softmodded Wii hooked up to my MX7000.

Look specifically for the models MX4000 (21" model), MX6000 (28" model) and MX7000 (28" model with ACTIVE SPEAKERS!), and get the cool motorized stand included if you can. OR go nuts and get an Avant if you and about 10 of your friends can carry it.

Also, don't fall into the trap of vintage B&O collecting like I did, you need your money for old video games.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

FilthyImp posted:

MegaGear is awesome stuff.

Hey, how hard is it to replace the batteries in NES and SNeS cartridges? I figure you get a New Battery, wire up some leads to it, alligator clip to cart, replace old battery on cart, all to prevent the memory from wiping.

That sound right?

Ya, I've seen videos of it done for SNES and GB carts on YouTube, I assume you can for NES carts too. Though the people I saw found other points to connect the external battery. Prob could, at minimum, temporarily solder wore leads to some component or a via. I have a Retron 5 that I use upstairs, so I'd just dump the save files to that and trip load them after the battery change.

Very nice, I like that the inside is gray and not the standard black they use. Previous NES edition models have just been decorated outside but indistinguishable inside.

d34dm34t
Jul 21, 2007

Miles McCloud posted:

Never thought I'd be playing my childhood gamegear on a 32" LCD Monitor in the TYOOL 2016 but here we are.

This is absolutely amazing. I wish I had the time, the skill, and the near infinite number of Game Gears it would take me, to do something like this.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Since a few people mentioned streaming, I have been considering it for awhile, as well as getting some gameplay footage up on YouTube for games that are lacking good videos. Mostly just to give myself some structure in gaming, I have been sloppy in my game play lately, so I figure if I stream I'd be a little more intentional in my decisions/strategy and whatnot.

Anyways, my question is, I am considering getting the Elgato HD game capture unit. For older systems, is just using the Svideo adapter via AV-in good enough for streaming, or is an upscaler like the Framemeister really necessary? I could probably just use the Retron 5 via HDMI (though I'd prefer actual consoles), but for things like the N64 and GameCube I'd need to use Svideo until the GC plug n play component/HDMI adapters come out, if ever. Also, things like PS1 I'd need to compare using PSone (s-video) vs PS2 (component) vs PS3 (HDMI).

Thanks!

Fatcat214
Feb 19, 2015

Party Poogie
Is the model 1 Genesis usually a fickle bitch when it comes to reading games, or is it just my console?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Neither my Model 1, Nomad, nor 32X have ever fought me with any TMSS compatible game, so give your carts and console contacts a good cleaning, and maybe inspect the pins to make sure nothing's gotten bent out of position or stuck inside of the connector.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Ofecks posted:

Looks like some YT links got autopasted into video tags in that section.

Here are some nerds I occasionally watch play old games on Twitch:
https://www.twitch.tv/lordbbh - currently the Twitch MAME roulette king
https://www.twitch.tv/macaw45 - Sometimes does JP computer stuff, which gets no coverage and is pretty interesting
https://www.twitch.tv/icarusfw - does a shmup-only MAME roulette, also taught me how to play mahjong :aaa:

And I thought I was being unique diving down the rabbit hole of MAME roulette every week :negative:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Novasol posted:

And I thought I was being unique diving down the rabbit hole of MAME roulette every week :negative:

I think you'll find that when it comes to producing videos about games on the Internet, no one is unique.

Sometimes I wish I had enough upstream bandwidth to stream video. It seems like it would be a fun thing to do.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I think you'll find that when it comes to producing videos about games on the Internet, no one is unique.

Sometimes I wish I had enough upstream bandwidth to stream video. It seems like it would be a fun thing to do.

Once you get a decent group of regulars to hang out with, it's great. Until then it feels like your soul is slowly dying.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been wanting to livestream some games for a while now, but all my consoles are RGB so it's a bit more harder (and expensive) than just using Elgato. Still looking for the best solution but I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy the capture card for my PC if I want to go that route.

I'd love to stream some Saturn stuff since not many people out here know much about the console, let alone the imports.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fatcat214 posted:

Is the model 1 Genesis usually a fickle bitch when it comes to reading games, or is it just my console?

My model 1 and my 32x never complain about carts, but all my carts are clean and the pins are clean in the 32x (and game genie, and sonic and knuckles), there were a lot of things that you could plug a Genesis cart into

That actually boots and runs fine

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Well, it boots but it can't actually use the Game Genie because bus overlap with the 32x.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

And that is how you unlock Luigi.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

This reminds me I need to have my back looked at.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sonic & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nintendo was feeling left out:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The most complex way to dump an NES rom.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
Thanks for the kind words about my project! It was actually a lot of fun to do it, albeit a little tiring.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Sonic & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GEmLnaFC38

quote:

That sound right?

It's actually simpler than that, you just need a soldering iron to heat the tabs on the old battery, pull it out, heat the points again, and slide in the new battery. On gameboy carts this is stupid idiot proof simple and on NES/SNES/Genesis whatall it's a tad harder because the battery is through hole, and while it isn't necessary it's a lot easier if you have a $5 plastic solder sucker to remove the solder first. Or be crazy like me and buy a vacuum desolder station and make the whole thing effortless.

https://console5.com/store/panasonic-cr2032-3v-lithium-battery-with-solder-tabs-pins.html

EDIT: I just realized you were talking about replacing a battery while keeping the internal memory from dumping. I've never tried it that way before, but I can't think of a reason that wouldn't work. I will say that occasionally I'll swap a battery out the cart and the memory will survive the process.

Another weird save battery event- I installed an English translation eprom into a Super Famicom copy of Dragon Quest 5 and the Japanese save data survived the event, complete with now garbage character names.

Polly Toodle fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 2, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I dug through a drawer tonight and found an old, lovely USB composite/s-video capture device (an EasyCap variant). The Dreamcast was closest, so I plugged it in (composite, never bothered to get a s-video cable because I had VGA anyway), left de-interlace off and combined with my blistering 0.8mbps upload speed..well, fast games are not something I should attempt to stream, put it that way.

I've been streaming Snatcher for a friend lately, though and that's always enjoyable. I love that drat game to bits and being able to show it to someone for the first time is really neat.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

well, fast games are not something I should attempt to stream, put it that way.

Truth be told videogames tend not to compress well for the way streaming works and the existing platforms like Twitch aren't very good for varied audiences unless you're a partner, and even then Twitch has a maximum bitrate which is far, far too low; watching most fighting game tournaments turns into a pixellated mess briefly regardless of whether or not you have a paid Twitch subscription and fantastic internet.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah..I was testing it with JSR and camera movement made it devolve into RealPlayer quality. I need to gently caress around with the bitrate some, I'm pretty sure I can put it up a decent bit. Something to mess with over the weekend, if nothing else I guess!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah..I was testing it with JSR and camera movement made it devolve into RealPlayer quality. I need to gently caress around with the bitrate some, I'm pretty sure I can put it up a decent bit. Something to mess with over the weekend, if nothing else I guess!

Last I checked, Twitch peaks out at something like 3.5 megabits per second. That's very low for 1080p at 60 frames per second even in ideal circumstances when you consider that Blu-rays are typically 24 frames per second (although can do 60) and allow you to go up to 50 megabits per second. I think you can cheat the quality in various ways, such as limiting your broadcast to 720p and/or 30fps, having your layout of game screen/facecam/whatever else laid out in such a way that specific parts of the screen are compression-friendly, things like that. But at least with Twitch blockiness is inevitable, not sure if the alternatives like Youtube Gaming are better.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

univbee posted:

Last I checked, Twitch peaks out at something like 3.5 megabits per second. That's very low for 1080p at 60 frames per second even in ideal circumstances when you consider that Blu-rays are typically 24 frames per second (although can do 60) and allow you to go up to 50 megabits per second. I think you can cheat the quality in various ways, such as limiting your broadcast to 720p and/or 30fps, having your layout of game screen/facecam/whatever else laid out in such a way that specific parts of the screen are compression-friendly, things like that. But at least with Twitch blockiness is inevitable, not sure if the alternatives like Youtube Gaming are better.

Hitbox is a little better but none of the game streaming sites are that great tbh

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
AbemaFresh feels Fresh and modern and sleek and neat and has a great community because it's mostly made up out of people who have gotten tired of nicovideo never expanding and improving their servers. That's about that. 384kbps are fine for retrogames if the pipe is clean and mostly free from packetloss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

My Lovely Horse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glTnjGmjTcQ

(the other Knuckles video)

With that in mind, now that I got the Genesis, should I bother with a 32X? I had it and the CD as a kid, but not a lot I really play on either.

• Locked thread