Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Zand posted:

official dogbone is like ten foot cord isn't it? and the regular is 6...

The Japanese versions introduced with the AV Famicom are way shorter than any US NES controller cable, and there are plenty of them floating around the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FireMrshlBill posted:

Selling off some handhelds and consoles (modded GBA w/101 screen, 20th anniversary GB Micro, Zelda DS lite, GC, etc.). I also will be listing some games in another thread this weekend (CIB FF2, CIB FF3, Secret of Mana, GBC/GBA games with some being CIB, DS/3DS games too). Will link back to the above linked handheld thread when I list the games too.

Getting tired of clutter and don't really need shelf candy anymore.

I do t want to clutter up your sales thread but is there some manner of kit that hides the hinges or otherwise cleans them up when you're making a gba macro?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kthulhu5000 posted:

The Japanese versions introduced with the AV Famicom are way shorter than any US NES controller cable, and there are plenty of them floating around the US.

Yeah I got the AV Famicom one since it was a lot cheaper just buying one then getting a offical NES 2 controller these days without being overprice.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pegnose Pete posted:

Just ordered an SD2SNES! Goddamn the conversion from USD into Canadian dollarydoos, plus the insanely high sales tax in Ontario killed me. I would have waited for Black Friday but circumstances mean I have to order it now or wait a long time.

I'm gonna be happy with this thing right?

Play the MSU-1 patch of A Link to the Past when you get it and you will never have to ask that question again.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Has anyone OSSC from batch 2 shipped yet? I know there is a message about them waiting on PSU to arrive to start shipping out, but I saw someone said they already got their October unit in.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Young Orc

Rirse posted:

Has anyone OSSC from batch 2 shipped yet? I know there is a message about them waiting on PSU to arrive to start shipping out, but I saw someone said they already got their October unit in.

Still haven't gotten my shipping notification :cry:

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Play the MSU-1 patch of A Link to the Past when you get it and you will never have to ask that question again.

Is there a comprehensive list of MSU-1 games? I've also found finding the audio files for some of the games to be tricky. None of the links in the README that came with the MSU-1SMW patch work anymore, for example.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Tree Dude posted:

Is there a comprehensive list of MSU-1 games? I've also found finding the audio files for some of the games to be tricky. None of the links in the README that came with the MSU-1SMW patch work anymore, for example.

http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&genre=&platform=9&game=&category=&perpage=20&title=MSU&author=&hacksearch=Go

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Looks like the SMW link might be working now too! I did notice in a video I watched demoing it that the music didn't change while riding Yoshi though and that might be a deal breaker for me.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Tree Dude posted:

Looks like the SMW link might be working now too! I did notice in a video I watched demoing it that the music didn't change while riding Yoshi though and that might be a deal breaker for me.

This would be...not impossible, but definitely extremely complicated with an MSU-1.

It basically behaves like CD Audio used to, with a single fully recorded stereo audio track, and it's not very good at things like sound effects (due to seek times) and rapid music changes. At best someone would have to compose and properly time the "Yoshi percussion" part to go with the CD Audio but it'd be enormously hard to make it all so it doesn't go all out of wack when the music loops.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

univbee posted:

This would be...not impossible, but definitely extremely complicated with an MSU-1.

It basically behaves like CD Audio used to, with a single fully recorded stereo audio track, and it's not very good at things like sound effects (due to seek times) and rapid music changes. At best someone would have to compose and properly time the "Yoshi percussion" part to go with the CD Audio but it'd be enormously hard to make it all so it doesn't go all out of wack when the music loops.

I haven't really played around with any MSU1 patches, but does it simulate the seek times of a 1x CD-ROM drive that a real SNES-CD would have used?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Instant Sunrise posted:

I haven't really played around with any MSU1 patches, but does it simulate the seek times of a 1x CD-ROM drive that a real SNES-CD would have used?

It's definitely not THAT bad, boy I remember those days all too well and games like LOOM did NOT work well on those. But I'm fairly sure, from what I remember playing around with it (full disclosure, it's been a very long time) there is a hitch with initializing and starting music playback, but this usually being when a level just starts and the screen is black isn't noticeable. I'm almost 100% sure you wouldn't be able to program it in such a way that, say, you composed two audio tracks, one for "on Yoshi" and one for "off Yoshi" where it will instantly and seamless switch between the two at the correct playback location based on your "riding Yoshi" status.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

I'm almost 100% sure you wouldn't be able to program it in such a way that, say, you composed two audio tracks, one for "on Yoshi" and one for "off Yoshi" where it will instantly and seamless switch between the two at the correct playback location based on your "riding Yoshi" status.

A game that wanted to do this on early CD systems would have things set up so the left channel is the regular music and the right channel is the music with the modifier, and you switch between the two by muting the left and unmuting the right and vice versa.

Naturally this means you can't use any normal stereo effects in the track, and requires a setup that allows you to mix a single channel input to both channel output. But I think you can do that within the SNES hardware and how the MSU-1 would hypothetically interface with it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Clever but what games did that? They weren't doing it with redbook audio right?

Or are you speaking hypothetically here?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

Clever but what games did that? They weren't doing it with redbook audio right?

Or are you speaking hypothetically here?

It's a method that was used by many tape and laserdics and CD based "games" before real time serious mixing became a thing. It almost certainly was used with released games on CD at some point but I'm not aware of any specific ones - most preferred to use the full stereo effect when they could.

This mid-80s device was able to provide game data and changing responses on 8-track tape cartridges by switching between channels on the tape which would be muted or unmuted as neccesary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyOKgLtUxto
Game data was stored in the same way you'd do it on a cassette tape, on the channel that wasn't being sent to the speaker (and switching from left to right occasionally). Then the question would play as standard audio, automatically pause when the computer data indicated, wait for input and then continue playing a congratulatory message and lighting the matching light to a player that got the question right, or staying silent til next if all were wrong. On some games, it would temporarily switch in the current game data track for a short "wrong" message before switching back to the normal audio channel.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I do t want to clutter up your sales thread but is there some manner of kit that hides the hinges or otherwise cleans them up when you're making a gba macro?

I was going to cut off the hinges, cut/shape and glue them in place to cover up the holes. I think there is some type of compound you can use to fill, I forgot the name. Then sand down and paint the whole shell. High hopes as far as projects go with 2 kids, working overtime and keeping up with house maintenance (and actually playing games).

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
So I’ve recently been having some problems with the screen on my PSP-2000. There are two light vertical lines showing up on the left-hand side of the screen. They’re usually not too visible during gameplay, but for some reason, if I play for a bit, a weird blurring “double vision” effect begins to occur on those parts of the screen. For example, if I’m doing 8 damage to an enemy in Final Fantasy, it’ll look like 88.

I couldn’t get a good picture of my screen, but it basically looks like this:

So I’m assuming the screen’s dying, right? Any weird tricks to fix it? Is it worth repairing or should I just buy a new one? While we’re at it if I end up needing to replace it is the 3000 noticeably better in any way?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I think the 3000 has a better screen in some regards (brighter, less reflective, etc.) but had some tearing issues (but is still considered better overall despite that). I think it also had a built-in mic while the 2000 needed the attachment. Also many people say the buttons feel better. I think battery life is close, but may be better on the 3000?

I can't remember if the video out is different between the 1000 and 2000, or between the 2000 and 3000. So may want to check that if you do any video output to your TV and already have cables.

Personally, I just went with the one I could find for a good price and the color I wanted (white). The person I bought it from listed it as a 2000, but it is a 3001 and I like it a lot. Looks great.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The best PSP to actually play on is the PSP Go in my opinion, the analog nub placement is simply a lot more comfortable for me.

Sure you can't play UMDs, but the UMDs suck and the system's fully hacked, just get a big microsd card and a cheap microsd to whatever memory stick that is adapter.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

fishmech posted:

The best PSP to actually play on is the PSP Go in my opinion, the analog nub placement is simply a lot more comfortable for me.

Sure you can't play UMDs, but the UMDs suck and the system's fully hacked, just get a big microsd card and a cheap microsd to whatever memory stick that is adapter.

I have a Go and I love it but Go's have their own proprietary memory with no adapter that I've seen because the card is so tiny. I'd go for a 3000 personally.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wamdoodle posted:

I have a Go and I love it but Go's have their own proprietary memory with no adapter that I've seen because the card is so tiny. I'd go for a 3000 personally.

Oh I can't keep track of which sticks do what, Sony had like 50 of them. When I had mine though I'd been able to pick up a cheap Sandisk card of the proper size and fit a bunch of games though, think it was like 16 GB.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Wamdoodle posted:

My friend, this recent development may be of interest:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1444277

Micro SD adapter for PSP Go!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You can also buy 8gb m2 cards for about $25 and use them with the 16gb of internal storage to have plenty of space.

Using the adapter's kind of a waste since you pay $28 + 16gb microsd card to get only 8gb more than paying $20 and not having to gently caress with opening the PSP go.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 12, 2017

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH EVERDRIVE STORE!

I guess I have 2-3 weeks to clean up my office and set up the TV + Dazzle again...

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm trying to replace the shattered case of my GBA-SP and I can't get through the rubber screw covers over the screws holding the screen together. Any tips?

I've gone from screwdrivers to a knifetip to a dental hook and a sewing needle, still only got under 2/5.

Now I'm to the point of putting the thing back together and I can't get in tight enough to reconnect the ribbon cable. Every time I get it kind of in place, it's clearly not all the way into the clip on the mainboard, since it immediately pops out the moment I try to reassemble the rest of the case. Could really do with some advice

hexwren fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 13, 2017

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Alrighty, so based on no one mentioning it I'm going to assume it's not worth trying to fix the screen on a PSP. The Go is tempting, but I have a pretty decent collection of UMD's because I am a rube. So I'll probably just use this as an excuse to upgrade to a PSP-3000. Thanks for the help!

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Panic Restaurant is a good game

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Panic Restaurant posted:

Alrighty, so based on no one mentioning it I'm going to assume it's not worth trying to fix the screen on a PSP. The Go is tempting, but I have a pretty decent collection of UMD's because I am a rube. So I'll probably just use this as an excuse to upgrade to a PSP-3000. Thanks for the help!

It's not actually very difficult to do it, if you have the basic know how to get inside of the PSP anyway.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Young Orc

Finally got the consoles that monitor burn modded all hooked up and everything is working.

drat button lights are burned out on the pvm and had to fiddle around for a while to get it to change from a component signal to RGB, but worked great after that.

A+ would recommend.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
My roommates are going to the Portland Retro Gaming Expo next week and are considering picking up a Famicom. What are some cool titles they'd be able to pick up that can be enjoyed without knowing any Japanese?

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Sir Tonk posted:

Finally got the consoles that monitor burn modded all hooked up and everything is working.

drat button lights are burned out on the pvm and had to fiddle around for a while to get it to change from a component signal to RGB, but worked great after that.

A+ would recommend.

Nice set up dude! Now throw some Everdrives in there! :getin:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I have given Krikzz so much money over the past 7 years it’s ridiculous. Haven’t “upgraded” anything yet, though (meaning purchased newer higher models).

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Young Orc

Pegnose Pete posted:

Nice set up dude! Now throw some Everdrives in there! :getin:

Waiting for black friday to get the others I need, but yeah totally doing that.

Forgot to cut out the drat Japanese tabs on the N64 before I sent it off, gonna have to open it back up now

Dr. Dos posted:

My roommates are going to the Portland Retro Gaming Expo next week and are considering picking up a Famicom. What are some cool titles they'd be able to pick up that can be enjoyed without knowing any Japanese?

Basically anything that isn't a RPG or majong game.

I'd suggest the expansion audio games, though, they're different enough to be worth seeking out.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Famicom I played at the last expo I was at had a Yume Penguin Monogatari cartridge and I highly recommend playing the fat penguin video game.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I live in a small town in Western Japan and went out for drinks with a friend’s landlord last night, and he brought along a friend who turned out to be a relatively big deal music producer who works for our city. I eventually asked if he had any friends in the TV business and turns out he knows the president of our prefectures biggest TV station. I’ve seen their crews using 6” PVMs before on location shoots as recent as a few months ago, so he said he would send out some emails and see if anyone has unused P/BVMs kicking around that I can take a look at. Fingers crossed I get lucky!

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Panic Restaurant posted:

I had an iPhone fix-it shop that was willing to replace my PSP-2000 screen when mine began to fade around the edges. This was after breaking the tab on my already dead spare on a trial run. Be gentle when you open it / pull out the LCD ribbon.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Famicom rec: Kid Dracula

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Sir Tonk posted:

Waiting for black friday to get the others I need, but yeah totally doing that.

Forgot to cut out the drat Japanese tabs on the N64 before I sent it off, gonna have to open it back up now

No need to mutilate your system, the Everdrive works on both system types.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Dos posted:

Which kind of Famicom? Hopefully it's an AV Famicom, because the original model (iconic as it is and something people gush over aesthetically)...kind of sucks, when you think about it?

* RF only.
* Besides being RF only, it will only work on US TVs that can scan and tune channels 95 and 96.
* The controller cords are short and plugged directly into the console's mainboard.
* Since the controllers are not detachable from the console, replacing one or both if they're beat to poo poo is way more involved, both in terms of finding replacements and swapping it out. It's not hard, but it is a pain.

Encourage them to go for an AV Famicom, especially if expo merchants are already charging $50, $75 and the like for consoles.

Anyhow, Astro Robo SASA is a nice, simple game that I like to recommend, and there is also the thread favorite Devil World. Probably the easiest thing for them to do, if they're looking to try and pick up Famicom carts at the expo, would be to "pre-browse" on a site like Buyee's Yahoo Auctions pages, see what strikes their fancy as far as cover art goes, and then see if they can't find gameplay videos to get an idea of how accessible it would be to play. From there, of course, it's a matter of taking notes and searching the baskets or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

Dr. Dos posted:

Akumajou Densetsu (aka Castlevania III, has enhanced soundtrack)
Gimmick! (has enhanced soundtrack)
Kid Dracula
Gradius II
Salamander
Uchuu Keibitai SDF

• Locked thread