Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

All New Sonic posted:

Akumajou Densetsu (aka Castlevania III, has enhanced soundtrack)

Also IIRC it's one of those unusual cases where the Japanese version is actually easier than the English version. Which is probably fine because I can't get goddamn anywhere in Castlevania III because it's brutal, but I haven't seriously tried to play through Akumajou Densetsu to find out whether it's too easy or something (I strongly suspect not, though).

also the HELP ME password doesn't work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Also IIRC it's one of those unusual cases where the Japanese version is actually easier than the English version. Which is probably fine because I can't get goddamn anywhere in Castlevania III because it's brutal, but I haven't seriously tried to play through Akumajou Densetsu to find out whether it's too easy or something (I strongly suspect not, though).

also the HELP ME password doesn't work

In the US version, the further you go in the game, the more damage you take from individual hits. The Japanese version doesn't have this. The different characters also take different amounts of damage but I'm not sure if this is in Japanese version or not.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also they completely changed how Grant works. In the US version he stabs with the knife in what is the worst melee attack in the Castlevania series, but the JP version his basic attack is just throwing free knife subweapons.

Edit: And they changed at least one checkpoint to be more brutal. In the Japanese version once you make it to Dracula you start right before his fight every time you die. In the US version if you die to Dracula you do the stage before him again.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Sir Tonk posted:

Finally got the consoles that monitor burn modded all hooked up and everything is working.

drat button lights are burned out on the pvm and had to fiddle around for a while to get it to change from a component signal to RGB, but worked great after that.

A+ would recommend.

dig the setup especially the jesus candles from Fiesta

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Also IIRC it's one of those unusual cases where the Japanese version is actually easier than the English version.

Is that unusual? I thought all the American versions of games were much harder back then to punish people renting video games.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Spoderman posted:

Is that unusual? I thought all the American versions of games were much harder back then to punish people renting video games.

I dunno. I thought that there were games that were modified or in some cases not even localized because they were considered "too hard" for American audiences.

This was more prevalent during the 16-bit era though I think.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
That's the usual excuse for SMB2 in particular, but there's a lot more cases where the US versions are made harder because we had a rental market.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Krikzz has joined the cool kids club

https://twitter.com/krikzz/status/918842647682408449

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
SMB2 wasn't sent over because it was a cheap cash in on 99% existing assets and Nintendo was still terrified of being compared to lovely Atari 2600 style cash in games. It didn't even do any vertical scrolling because the engine had barely changed.

They didn't really care about difficulty for US audiences in their games or games they published.

Mak0rz posted:

I dunno. I thought that there were games that were modified or in some cases not even localized because they were considered "too hard" for American audiences.

This was more prevalent during the 16-bit era though I think.

Nah what you're remembering is stuff like Sony US making it hard to publish 2d games on the Playstation because random execs said Americans demand 3d. Or a bunch of SNES rpgs getting skipped because someone saw the translation cost and would just say it wouldn't sell enough, cancel that.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 13, 2017

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Uh I just found an Olympus branded 20M2MDU for $325 locally... y/n?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

If it's in good shape? Hell ya.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

TheMadMilkman posted:

If it's in good shape? Hell ya.

It's this one
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Trinitr...9%257Ciid%253A1

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

fishmech posted:

Nah what you're remembering is stuff like Sony US making it hard to publish 2d games on the Playstation because random execs said Americans demand 3d. Or a bunch of SNES rpgs getting skipped because someone saw the translation cost and would just say it wouldn't sell enough, cancel that.

For some reason I'm remembering the too hard thing for 16 bit era too, before the PlayStation was a twinkle in Sony's eye. Unsure why, maybe it's in an old video game magazine that covered some Japan news at the time.

Anyone know the actual reason that Contra Hard Corps port US was made 5x harder? Rental excuse should only apply to Nintendo imo.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The rental angle of making the American versions more difficult wasn't to punish, it was to encourage sales. They made the games harder so they couldn't be beaten in a typical rental period on your first play-through of the game. You rent it, can't get more then halfway through the game during your rental period so you buy it. I can see how Konami would benefit from making a game hard enough that you can't beat it in a couple of days on your first run-through.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

His eBay fee on that sale would be almost $50. Offer him like $250 in cash to sell it to you locally and he'll probably take it.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
That will get him banned from eBay and charged the fee anyway.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

falz posted:

Anyone know the actual reason that Contra Hard Corps port US was made 5x harder? Rental excuse should only apply to Nintendo imo.

That one's actually backwards, when they translated Hard Corps for Japan they made it dramatically easier.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Acolyte! posted:

That will get him banned from eBay and charged the fee anyway.

Fair enough. I've broken those rules before and not had issues but I can understand that.

Just buy this one instead then, it's the same size and just a little older for way less.
https://greensboro.craigslist.org/vgm/d/sony-pvm-1953st-retro-gaming/6339184979.html

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Elliotw2 posted:

That one's actually backwards, when they translated Hard Corps for Japan they made it dramatically easier.
Oh, it came out in USA first? That seems slightly more logical.

Wikipedia says the releases were only a month apart, seems tight for that theory (or shockingly wikipedia could be wrong)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Speaking of PVMs, I found a Panasonic CT-1030M security monitor in a junk pile. It’s mono and only 10” but holy poo poo the difference between it and plugging a console into the HDTV.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Young Orc

XtraSmiley posted:

No need to mutilate your system, the Everdrive works on both system types.

Yeah, but I still need to be able to play regular US carts.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Young Orc
e, dp

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

GutBomb posted:

The rental angle of making the American versions more difficult wasn't to punish, it was to encourage sales. They made the games harder so they couldn't be beaten in a typical rental period on your first play-through of the game. You rent it, can't get more then halfway through the game during your rental period so you buy it. I can see how Konami would benefit from making a game hard enough that you can't beat it in a couple of days on your first run-through.

This.

In Japan, they had enough of a problem with rental stores using rom copiers to make their own copies of Famicom games that Nintendo successfully lobbied for a de facto ban on video game rentals. Which is why NCL really wanted to drop the Famicom like yesterday's news in favor of the FDS, which had a crude DRM system in it that used the Nintendo logo that was engraved on the discs, and the American and European NES had the 10NES lockout chip.

But NOA couldn't get game rentals banned in the US, and boy did they try; so to get people to buy games instead of renting them, Nintendo made US releases harder than the Japanese equivalents to drive sales instead of rentals.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Sir Tonk posted:

Yeah, but I still need to be able to play regular US carts.

There's an aftermarket universal cartridge slot for the N64: https://www.shapeways.com/product/VRHZKBHUZ/n64-universal-cartridge-slot

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Monitor Burn posted:

There's an aftermarket universal cartridge slot for the N64: https://www.shapeways.com/product/VRHZKBHUZ/n64-universal-cartridge-slot

FYI about this. The cartridge doors tend to catch on the slot.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Monitor Burn posted:

What the hell? Just file down the tabs inside and save $25. You have to open the console either way.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Young Orc

Monitor Burn posted:

It's cool someone made that, but I'd rather just cut them off and throw some tape over the holes.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

Fair enough. I've broken those rules before and not had issues but I can understand that.

Just buy this one instead then, it's the same size and just a little older for way less.
https://greensboro.craigslist.org/vgm/d/sony-pvm-1953st-retro-gaming/6339184979.html

Supposedly they've been cracking down lately. It's probably not worth the risk.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

wa27 posted:

What the hell? Just file down the tabs inside and save $25. You have to open the console either way.

Yeah that's what I do, but some people prefer the cleaner install, or want to keep the plastic unmodified in case they sell the console later.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Quiet Feet posted:

Yeah, they're making a big deal out of it right now. Not worth it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Young Orc

Quiet Feet posted:

I got some stuff combined by someone on ebay and just ended up dealing with them off-site, but yeah it won't let you put email address in message and looks for keywords to tell if you're offering to pay outside of ebay.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ok I finally was able to get my cabinet that came with the house pulled out and taken apart and I found some uhhh... things? That look fishy and hopefully people know about

Tldr is I turned it on one day The the screen looked like this

With brief moments of "clarity"

This looks like a pcb thing based on what I had read, but I don't see any bad caps at least as far as I can tell

These is this but it doesn't appear to be near any circuitry on the board itself

Other than that I found this on what I think is the flyback board but I think it's some sort of electronics grease that's a million years old

The cabinet is apparently older than most of my coworkers

What should I look at next? Does anyone have any idea how much this thing is worth? based on old ebay posts i was guessing $2,000 at the max since it's popular in bars and poo poo, but if it's going to be a pain in the dick to fix i would take the loss and sell it to some shop (or a metro detroit goon who would like to make a quick flip)

edit: looks like it's more like $500 - $1000 depending on the buyer so maybe i wont bother fixing it.

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 14, 2017

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Pull off the PCB connector (at the top of your pic), it's a JAMMA connector. Clean it with alcohol like you do a SNES edge and put it back on, see if it makes a difference. Arcade machines are pretty easy to fix, and if nothing else you can slap another JAMMA game in that cabinet and be ready to rock. How does the cabinet look on the outside?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

XtraSmiley posted:

Pull off the PCB connector (at the top of your pic), it's a JAMMA connector. Clean it with alcohol like you do a SNES edge and put it back on, see if it makes a difference. Arcade machines are pretty easy to fix, and if nothing else you can slap another JAMMA game in that cabinet and be ready to rock. How does the cabinet look on the outside?

Like new, and the trackball is new as well. It'd be kind of neat to be able to keep it instead of lugging it out of the basement

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

These is this but it doesn't appear to be near any circuitry on the board itself

If you look closely, there is a thin copper trace running right over the top of that gouge, which is very likely severed. That would be the first thing I would try repairing. If that doesn't work, the video RAM might be hosed (judging from the fact that only the textures seem to be corrupted). I'm not at all familiar with Incredible Technologies hardware, though, so I can't give any advice beyond that.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Yeah, you'll want to fix the traces All New Sonic pointed out. Also, even though the caps don't look bad, replacing them is another good step if the first repair doesn't work.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I just automatically assume caps from the 90’s are bad. They dont always swell when they die either

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Those trace lines are part of the circuitry my dude

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Dude, is it a lovely golf game? A new board might only be $50, check on eBay. Also, that cabinet is worth more as a dedicated Mortal Kombat than a lovely golf game (actually, maybe not, depending on which game it is). But really, you need to head over to KLOV to ask these types of questions. The dudes there will help you out.

https://forums.arcade-museum.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

XtraSmiley posted:

Dude, is it a lovely golf game? A new board might only be $50, check on eBay. Also, that cabinet is worth more as a dedicated Mortal Kombat than a lovely golf game (actually, maybe not, depending on which game it is). But really, you need to head over to KLOV to ask these types of questions. The dudes there will help you out.

https://forums.arcade-museum.com

Hell yeah

It would be rad as gently caress if I could figure out how to convert it back to a mortal combat thing to have for when I have parties or kids

Thanks for all the tips, guys :3:

• Locked thread