Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The 32X is alright, though most of the games are obsoleted by others at this point. It has arcade perfect Afterburner and Space Harrier, Shadow Squadron and Darxide are nifty, and the other 20 games are just oddities or bad.

I paid $40 for mine complete and I think that's a good enough price, discounting the Model 1 Tax of having to order a new converter with a stereo lead.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Rirse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glTnjGmjTcQ

(the other Knuckles video)

With that in mind, now that I got the Genesis, should I bother with a 32X? I had it and the CD as a kid, but not a lot I really play on either.

There's a couple of good games, but if you aren't that interested, I'd wait until you find a deal on it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

univbee posted:

Last I checked, Twitch peaks out at something like 3.5 megabits per second. That's very low for 1080p at 60 frames per second even in ideal circumstances when you consider that Blu-rays are typically 24 frames per second (although can do 60) and allow you to go up to 50 megabits per second. I think you can cheat the quality in various ways, such as limiting your broadcast to 720p and/or 30fps, having your layout of game screen/facecam/whatever else laid out in such a way that specific parts of the screen are compression-friendly, things like that. But at least with Twitch blockiness is inevitable, not sure if the alternatives like Youtube Gaming are better.

Good thing I'm only streaming ancient bullshit

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
The 32X is useful as it's an easy way to improve the video quality out of a stock genesis 1. It adds a splash of color and gets rid of the rainbow banding.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Literally The Worst posted:

Good thing I'm only streaming ancient bullshit

Usually better (especially if you have a really clean output) but even those can do things that compression really doesn't like, especially garish color combinations and things like brick patterns scrolling in a platformer.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You guys are saying streaming makes games look bad, I'm saying it makes them look like how I played them on a 12" CRT with RF in and I won't have it any other way.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

al-azad posted:

I'm saying it makes them look like how I played them on a 12" CRT with RF in and I won't have it any other way.

Nah, RF in would introduce noise requiring a higher bitrate. Your point stands if your younger time was prior to getting glasses you desperately needed, or if between you and the TV screen was an aquarium filled with watery vaseline.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

al-azad posted:

You guys are saying streaming makes games look bad, I'm saying it makes them look like how I played them on a 12" CRT with RF in and I won't have it any other way.
Maybe if all you played were SegaCD FMV games on an 8" tv or something.

Oddly enough, I don't remember any macroblocking artifacting on my copy of SFII Champion Edition.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Shiiiiiiiiittttt

Fuuuuuuuuucckkkkkk

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Kid Fenris posted:

This happened to my 16GB card the other day, and I had to reformat it. Good thing the only saves I lost were for reviewed games that I'll likely never play again. Is that a common problem with Vita cards?

Yeah, the Vita's filesystem is awful. I stopped doing full system backups and instead back up apps individually.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

32x owns for arcade ports. I also played the poo poo out of doom on it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

GutBomb posted:

I tried the new Vita homebrew exploit and it's super easy. Tried a SNES emulator and a GBA emulator. The GBA emulator is really rough. Sound is bad and the game I tested (Max Payne) was really slow. Tried the SNES emulator and played Super Metroid and Super Mario World and it worked great. It's a lot better than the PSP based emulation of the SNES which relied on the Media Engine which is available in a real PSP but not in the emulated PSP layer on the Vita (so the existing PSP SNES emulators on vita run like poo poo).

The screen on the Vita is so much nicer than the PSP. Glad I have a new handheld emulation machine, and things like GBA emulators are only going to get better. I'd love to see what this thing can do with DS games in time.

I've been saying I wanted to see SNES games on the Vita's OLED screen for years. I can't wait to try this tonight.

Is the general consensus that it's a good idea to update the Vita to the newest firmware, and then perform this trick? Is there going to be some discovery that older firmwares are "better" for doing things like unlocking the full CPU kind of like the new3DS hacks?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Now that DigitalFoundry has started doing retrospective stuff, I really hope they end up doing a face-off article about all the different versions of Doom.

Also I pulled the trigger and ordered a SFC copy of Super Mario Kart. I'll probably end up doing the same with Mario Kart 64, since the North America version of that game is ridiculously priced for how common it is.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

First 145 issues of Nintendo Power (everything pre-Gamecube) are now on archive.org

https://archive.org/details/nintendopower

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

First 145 issues of Nintendo Power (everything pre-Gamecube) are now on archive.org

https://archive.org/details/nintendopower

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yoshi yoshi yoshi.

Yoshi.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

Yoshi yoshi yoshi.

Yoshi.

Woah woah woah, slow down I'm only up to level 2 give me a minute.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I've been saying I wanted to see SNES games on the Vita's OLED screen for years. I can't wait to try this tonight.

Is the general consensus that it's a good idea to update the Vita to the newest firmware, and then perform this trick? Is there going to be some discovery that older firmwares are "better" for doing things like unlocking the full CPU kind of like the new3DS hacks?

As far as I know this hack only works on 3.60 which is the current version so update now before Sony pumps out another firmware.

Although they probably won't, they're seriously done with Vita. 3.6 came out four months ago.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I added the CDi and 3DO to the OP, but I'm a little unclear about some things re those systems, any info that would go in a one paragraph buyer's guide for each would be great, and some greats/cult classics for CD-i as I know absolutely nothing about it's library.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone get the Super Famicom new3ds LL? I watched two unboxing videos and I still cannot tell if it's gross disgusting slippery glossy or beautiful comfortable wonderful matte.

Also I would love to see what the menu theme it comes with looks like but no one bothered showing it yet.

al-azad posted:

As far as I know this hack only works on 3.60 which is the current version so update now before Sony pumps out another firmware.

Although they probably won't, they're seriously done with Vita. 3.6 came out four months ago.

Cool, thanks. I am on 1.6 firmware (really) and I am paranoid to update it in case this new hack isn't the end-all-be-all.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 2, 2016

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Anyone get the Super Famicom new3ds LL? I watched two unboxing videos and I still cannot tell if it's gross disgusting slippery glossy or beautiful comfortable wonderful matte.

Also I would love to see what the menu theme it comes with looks like but no one bothered showing it yet.

I ordered one but it only just shipped so I don't have it in-hand.

Anyway isn't it super-sold out everywhere?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

I ordered one but it only just shipped so I don't have it in-hand.

Anyway isn't it super-sold out everywhere?

I think Play-Asia will have them for sale tomorrow morning. Though I am willing to play inflated prices if the drat thing is matte. :argh:

I know it's region locked and the language can't even be changed but I am like 85% sure that the system can be hacked to get around all of that, though who knows what firmware it ships with.

Also report back as to whether or not it's a TN or IPS panel! :toot:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
slippery glossy 3DS? what kind of slimy hands do you have? :psyduck:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I know it's region locked and the language can't even be changed but I am like 85% sure that the system can be hacked to get around all of that, though who knows what firmware it ships with.

The region locking you can sort-of circumvent with flash carts if the firmware matches but pretty sure the language is locked down, and don't expect to be able to run non-Japanese download-only games like the newer Ace Attorney games (although the Japanese trilogy of the first three games does include English as an option).

I'd be pretty shocked if I received it tomorrow, though. Can't even remember which shipping method I went with now.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Caitlin posted:

slippery glossy 3DS? what kind of slimy hands do you have? :psyduck:

I'm exaggerating a bit but it always feels weird to me. I find myself playing the smaller new 3ds just because it's matte (depending on the cover plates you choose). Also I am Italian so yes I am greasy by nature.

I hated when laptops started coming in glossy like 10 years ago because they look like complete crap after a few months, so my problem is nothing new. :v:

univbee posted:

The region locking you can sort-of circumvent with flash carts if the firmware matches but pretty sure the language is locked down, and don't expect to be able to run non-Japanese download-only games like the newer Ace Attorney games (although the Japanese trilogy of the first three games does include English as an option).

For some reason I thought you could put whatever emuNAND you wanted on there.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 2, 2016

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
The current round of 3ds CFW will also let you ignore region restrictions, if it ships with a firmware older than 11.0.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

d0s posted:

I added the CDi and 3DO to the OP, but I'm a little unclear about some things re those systems, any info that would go in a one paragraph buyer's guide for each would be great, and some greats/cult classics for CD-i as I know absolutely nothing about it's library.

The most common problem with the CD-i is a dead timekeeper battery, and with the exception of the 300 series (the portable model with attached monitor), it was not designed to be easily replaceable. The closest thing the CD-i probably has to greatness are Labyrinth of Crete and Merlin's Apprentice, puzzle games by the creator of The Fool's Errand—and I'm just going off reputation here, as I've yet to play them myself. There are some good ports of then-graphically impressive PC adventure games like The 7th Guest, Litil Divil, and Lost Eden. Apprentice is one of the more popular CD-i titles, notable only in that it's a competently designed platformer on a system almost totally devoid of those.

Edit: Also a very large percentage of CD-i software requires the Digital Video Cartridge expansion, which the earlier models don't come with.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 2, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

I'm exaggerating a bit but it always feels weird to me. I find myself playing the smaller new 3ds just because it's matte (depending on the cover plates you choose). Also I am Italian so yes I am greasy by nature.

I hated when laptops started coming in glossy like 10 years ago because they look like complete crap after a few months, so my problem is nothing new. :v:

I don't play systems without a cover on them in the first place so it's really a non-issue for me anyway. I don't need this Majora's Mask 3DS XL getting scratched up :psyduck:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

d0s posted:

"For the love of all that is holy, make sure you get a proper gamepad for the CD-i instead of trying to get by with the IR remote controller"

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

fishmech posted:

"For the love of all that is holy, make sure you get a proper gamepad for the CD-i instead of trying to get by with the IR remote controller"

that is accurate advice and I was pleased as pie to pay $35 just to get a single non-IR-remote gamepad

I may also note that neither the 3DO or CDi have copy protection so you can play burnt discs.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I've never owned one of those remotes, and I feel like I've missed out on an essential part of the cd-i experience.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rollersnake posted:

I've never owned one of those remotes, and I feel like I've missed out on an essential part of the cd-i experience.

The only thing they're appropriate for is the sort of CD-i software that in modern times would just be a DVD with some menu selections.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

al-azad posted:

Firmware updates aren't really indicitive of how dead a system is. The PSP got vulnerability patching updates long after it was dead in the US/EU.

Though, meanwhile, Wii U 5.5.1 has been out since January and vulnerable since..oooh, March? and Nintendo haven't done a drat thing because it's deader than the Vita somehow.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Ineffiable posted:

Yoshi yoshi yoshi.

Yoshi.

Wow, racist much?

Mods?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

If/when you get around to adding the 2600 to the OP, make sure you include Atlantis in the 5 great games list because Atlantis owns bones.

Also include it in the Intellivision list if you ever make one (I mean you did write-ups on the 3DO and CD-i so might as well).

Or hell maybe I'll just do the write-ups for both since I'm seemingly like the only dude in these threads who gives a single poo poo about that era of gaming.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

because the only pre-NES poo poo worth dragging back out is a Vectrex :colbert:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Caitlin posted:

because the only pre-NES poo poo worth dragging back out is a Vectrex :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nerL0RlN3E

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

d0s posted:

Thunder in Paradise Interactive is (like all CD-i games) total garbage but it's total garbage where you get to fight along Hulk Hogan and a talking boat. You need the Digital Video Cartridge to play it though.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I stopped at the local thrift store after work. I didn't think much of it. They're usually OK for some stuff. Well...

:stare:

60 bucks for this whole lot. The SNES games were half off, so 2.50 apiece. I've never had a score like this. I had trouble putting basic thoughts together as I was checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

shyduck posted:

I stopped at the local thrift store after work. I didn't think much of it. They're usually OK for some stuff. Well...

:stare:

60 bucks for this whole lot. The SNES games were half off, so 2.50 apiece. I've never had a score like this. I had trouble putting basic thoughts together as I was checking out.

Hopefully those stickers come off easily. Great score.

• Locked thread