Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Kuros posted:

Hopefully those stickers come off easily. Great score.
Thanks! Luckily they do, I took one off of a cheaper title and then removed it carefully from Peace Keepers. This is a pretty insane feeling. You think the thrift scene is dried up, and boom.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I added your CD-i suggestions to the OP, still need a 3DO buyer's guide if anyone wants to do that. I'm not putting pre-NES stuff in there because I feel like most of the current generation of retro fans isn't really into it and it's just not really what gets discussed in here very much. I put the 3DO and CD-i in there even though I'm not a great fan of either because those systems do come up in here pretty often and people might not know of them due to their lack of success. The next systems going up, in order, are the PSX, N64, DC, PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox, I'll end consoles there. There will also be a handhelds section covering Game Boy through PSP.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

because the only pre-NES poo poo worth dragging back out is a Vectrex :colbert:

Wait, there were video games before 1985? That's just silly. Everyone knows that video games started when the NES was released in the US and not a moment before.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Random Stranger posted:

Wait, there were video games before 1985? That's just silly. Everyone knows that video games started when the NES was released in the US and not a moment before.

there was that one system that they used to have, the tengen 2600 or something like that

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Random Stranger posted:

Naw it's just that the more fun poo poo to replay is the arcade stuff from that era. :toot:

That and really I just think most of those types gravitate more towards places like AtariAge.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

honestly if I was writing the OP for myself the colecovision would definitely be there because I love the thing & think it was the best of the pre-crash days, but I have to be honest, not meany people are into that stuff the same way not many movie fans are into silent film and it's almost a separate topic unto itself

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I really want a Colecovision, but it has become weirdly expensive for a system of that era. Maybe I'll look for a busted one and see if I can fix it, always kinda wanted to get into buying and fixing broken consoles anyhow.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

shyduck posted:

I stopped at the local thrift store after work. I didn't think much of it. They're usually OK for some stuff. Well...

:stare:

60 bucks for this whole lot. The SNES games were half off, so 2.50 apiece. I've never had a score like this. I had trouble putting basic thoughts together as I was checking out.

Those SNES games all complete in box...what the hell.

Stunt Race FX is the most hilarious thing. Prepare for blazing single-digit FPS.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Patter Song posted:

Stunt Race FX is the most hilarious thing. Prepare for blazing single-digit FPS.

Shyduck should talk to Monitor Burn about converting that Stunt Race into a Starfox 2 cart or something, though it might still be better left alone CIB.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Gaijin Gamer's Guide to Japanese (for the express purpose of playing import games and absolutely nothing academically related)
This is a work in progress! Please bear with me!!

If you're reading this thread you're probably interested in Japanese video games. The 80s and 90s were a huge boom economically for the country which saw the release of thousands of games from any company that remotely had a stake in electronics or communication. To the average Westerner it's a wonderland of undiscovered classics and all the attempts to document them have barely scratched the surface.

Look at all these cool looking games! Wouldn't you like to enjoy and sort-of comprehend them???

Unfortunately the language barrier is a solid brick wall. Arcade based games require little language skills but the deeper you get into console games the more you'll have to figure out how to navigate a basic menu or discern the location of the next dungeon. But fear not! With a couple weeks of practice you can comfortably make your way through all but the most text heavy games.

In four parts I will teach you the kana, enough Kanji to navigate a typical adventure game, how to look up Japanese you don't know, and how to pick apart sentences for their basic meaning. I'm not going in-depth here, a lot of information will be simplified, my terminology is probably wrong in most cases, and your teacher will hate me as I'm going to be teaching a lot of bad habits. But if you're tired of deleting your saves because you don't know the difference between いい and いいえ , then read on.

Part 1: The Basics

Japanese has two syllabic scripts called hiragana and katakana, together called the kana. The kana is the written form of the 46 sounds used in Japanese. Hiragana is primarily used for native Japanese words while katakana is used for loan words and sometimes emphasis like capital letters are used in English.

Kanji are logographic characters based on Chinese. They're the big fancy characters you tremble at. Japanese students are expected to learn 2100+ by adulthood. Thankfully you'll see certain words and phrases used almost exclusively in writing to make things simple for readers.

Character meaning "beauty"

I should give a passing mention to romaji which are Latin characters e.g. what you're reading right now. You won't see them often. If you did we would have no need for this guide, right?

Learning the Kana

Among old video games low resolution makes it difficult to portray all but the simplest kanji. Because it forms the literal building blocks of Japanese, and how space saving it is in old games, you'll have to become familiar with the kana. Hiragana is the most common but I've seen a few games written in katakana exclusively.

Square's Tom Sawyer is not just racist, it's written completely in hiragana

The kana is based around vowel sounds either by themselves or with consonant pairs e.g. ka + n + to + u = Kantou. The vowels never change sounds and you put equal stress on all syllables. Once you learn the correct vowel pronunciation you can say any word in Japanese. For example the "ta" in katana always sounds the same as the "ta" in tantou. None of the awful trickery that comes with English here.

Vowel Sounds

A - pronounced "ah" as in your dentist saying "open wide, ahhhhh"
I - pronounced like a long E as in "easy."
U - pronounced "ooh" as in "goo"
E - pronounced short e as in "meth" or Bart and Lisa saying "meh."
O - pronounced long O as in "Cheerios"

The consonant combinations are, in dictionary order: k, s, t, n, h, m, y, r, w. Si, ti, tu, and hu are written and pronounced shi, chi, tsu, and fu. Fu is pronounced without your teeth touching your lips making it sound like an airy "who" but nobody will flog you for doing a hard F. Wo is pronounced like O and exclusively used as a particle in sentences. R is sounded by tapping your tongue against the roof of your mouth, almost making a hard D sound. If you played Shenmue did you find it weird how some characters call Ryo "Dio?" Well, that's why. Channel your inner Schnitzel and say "rada rada rada" a lot to train your tongue.

Lastly there's N by itself which is generally pronounced really nasally in the back of your through like nn or nng unless it precedes a consonant that requires a closed mouth to say e.g. m, p, b. It's why Famicom is spelled that way even though it's pronounced Famicon; it's short for Family Computer (konpyuuta but the N makes an M sound). Don't worry about it, nobody is judging you on this.

K, s, t, and h are unvoiced consonants which basically means your vocal chords don't vibrate when you say them. When you see the quotation looking symbol ゛it changes the sound to a voiced consonant. K, s, t, h become g, z, d, b respectively. Handakuten is a little circle ゜like the degrees symbol which changes h to p.

Youon are consonants contracted with ya, yu, yo. They appear as smaller kana next to the consonant for example ki plus small ya equals きゃ (kya).

Finally, tsu can be used as a double consonant called sokuon. you'll see it as a smaller version of itself and it "doubles" the consonant that comes after it. For example "CHUG CHUG CHUG!!" is いっき (ikki).

Something exclusive to katakana is the use of ー to extend vowels and occasionally as an exclamation or added emphasis. So when you see something like ハート (ha-to) it's spelled haato. An extended O ends up as a U for example オ-ドン (o-don) is oudon, not oodon. It's something we don't often see in Romanization of Japanese because of the different style guides used. I will write everything as it sounds. For example we commonly write Tokyo or more correctly Tōkyō but a direct transliteration would be Toukyou. If you listen to a native speaker you can make out the long vowel sounds.

Putting the Kana in Practice

Learning the kana is simple. Most people I know pick it up in a weekend or two. You'll know how to pronounce the language as well as read its most common script. A lot of older games rely heavily on the kana due to resolution and memory limitations. Some modern games (not enough I say) use furigana which puts hiragana above the kanji. So if you know your kana you can at least sound out an entire Level-5 or Legend of Zelda game!

Furigana is super helpful... when a game supports it

In the next part I'll briefly discuss kanji (and why learning it is such bullshit) and then guide you through some important ones that appear often in games. By the end of Part 2 you'll know enough kanji to do all the verb commands in Maniac Mansion and text input in Zork as well as track the date and time with the help of Animal Crossing.

Further Reading
Learn Hiragana
Learn Katakana

Practice

Transliterate the following screenshots

初級 (elementary level)

miro, kike, tore, tabero, tatake
Pya-!
daichan ga iru
shiro

中級 (intermediate level)

Do this top to bottom, right to left
miru, toru, hanasu, tsukau, watasu, idou, hitokaeru, mochimono

You're probably starting to notice some similar words. I'll actually go into those in the next portion.

上級 (advanced level)

sono jiken ga okotta basho ha aru yamani aru shizuka de heiwa na doubutsu no mura datta

I bet you're starting to pick out some words like jiken, doubutsu, and mura. That's good, reading is how you learn!

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Cubey posted:

I really want a Colecovision, but it has become weirdly expensive for a system of that era. Maybe I'll look for a busted one and see if I can fix it, always kinda wanted to get into buying and fixing broken consoles anyhow.

The NES and N64 are probably the easiest places to start, the NES because its common ways of breaking are well known and relatively easy to fix. The N64 because 90% of the broken ones are just missing a jumper pack.

The consoles from the 80s are easier to deal with in terms of soldering and fixing the PCBs, since the PCB traces are bigger and the components are almost exclusively through-hole mount.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Please do not learn a language exclusively to play retro video games with. Namaste.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It might be worth talking about how to fix the N64 control stick at some point in the OP, as that's something anyone who uses a N64 is going to have to deal with sooner or later. I myself spent the better part of this past year scrounging up the cheapest official N64 controllers I could find for the sole purpose of taking them apart to clean them and grease the joysticks (basically following this guide. If you use something like bicycle/ceramic grease you should be able to more or less future proof the thing since the stick grinding down is the main reason they got so lovely.

Alternatively you could try the Gamecube-style sticks as a replacement, which is something I went with for a little while. The problem is they are way too sensitive and make games like Turok or Rogue Squadron practically unplayable. "OEM" style sticks are probably better, but at least the one I got was so tight that it was basically usable without some grease (afterwards it was indistinguishable to me from the official stick).

Getting the stick apparatus open does require some tiny rear end screwdrivers, though. Like a glasses or jewelry adjustment set.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Please do not learn a language exclusively to play retro video games with. Namaste.

This is a really dumb thing to say in this thread, in this subforum, on this website.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Have you SEEN the price differences between Super Famicom and SNES games?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

kirbysuperstar posted:

This is a really dumb thing to say in this thread, in this subforum, on this website.

You should at least read a book in the language, namaste.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Patter Song posted:

It's quite the variety, and yeah Stunt Race is pretty bad. Ambitious for the day but it doesn't hold up.

I'm still mainly blown away by The Peace Keepers, because apparently complete it's fairly :retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

Just to clarify how crazy this pickup was for me, I routinely go to thrift stores throughout the Philly area and NJ, and I hardly ever find poo poo when it comes to SNES. They're just constantly combed through and everybody has "a local dealer that we always sell our stuff to", so to hit this big at once just rendered me a bit numb.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Shyduck should talk to Monitor Burn about converting that Stunt Race into a Starfox 2 cart or something, though it might still be better left alone CIB.
I actually already own a loose copy of Stunt Race, so I'll have an extra. Using the cart for a repro might not be a bad idea though.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 3, 2016

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
It's a lot easier to read the words "attack", "exit", "yes", or "save" or whatnot in order to navigate Japanese game menus than it is to read a Japanese book. This is actually something I've been meaning to learn for awhile, just need the time. I doubt I'll ever learn enough Japanese to play an RPG but I'd love to at least be able to read the two easier scripts.

Awesome post al-azad!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Instant Sunrise posted:

Have you SEEN the price differences between Super Famicom and SNES games?

Seriously, it's literally cheaper for me to take a few Japanese courses at my local college than it is to buy Earthbound.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If the path to play your cartoon video games leads to new knowledge then it is a path well trodden. Shiawase.

e: I totally agree with you. Don't learn a language to play video games, you will burn out eventually. You need a higher reason than that, something within to guide you to your goal and "I want to watch my favorite anime without the subtitles" isn't it.

But hobbies are a catalyst to deeper learning. Interest turns into study. If video games are that kick start then great.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 3, 2016

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

My pals and I stream mostly retro games (though occasionally newer ones) at http://www.twitch.tv/cartridgeblowers. We also do a bi-weekly podcast where we play older games we've never played before, normally based around a certain theme. A good episode to start with is one of our Nick Arcade tributes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWo2NV-Nq9I

I've been thinking about starting a collection of a system no one wants. Is N64 stuff difficult to collect?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

You should at least read a book in the language, namaste.

I will use my Nihon-go skills to read many visual novels.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Little Mac posted:

I've been thinking about starting a collection of a system no one wants. Is N64 stuff difficult to collect?

N64 games are common, especially cart only. Prices are higher than they used to be but have more or less stabilized. You'll pay $50-100 for Mario Party and Conker's Bad Fur Day, less than $30 for pretty much everything else.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

al-azad posted:

N64 games are common, especially cart only. Prices are higher than they used to be but have more or less stabilized. You'll pay $50-100 for Mario Party and Conker's Bad Fur Day, less than $30 for pretty much everything else.

Wait, I can sell the Mario Party 1 cart in my closet for $50? Holy poo poo.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

N64 also has a relatively small library (296) so it's still reasonably doable to go for a complete set if that's what you want to do.

Patter Song posted:

Wait, I can sell the Mario Party 1 cart in my closet for $50? Holy poo poo.
Yep. Pretty much anything Mario for SNES on up is money.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Channel F is probably the best system to collect for that no one wants. The system has two points of novelty in its favor: It's the first game console with programmable cartridges, and the controller is pretty interesting. It seems pretty rare and hard to get ahold of, I've rarely ever seen games outside of ebay. On the no one wants it front, the system is not super expensive, and the games are generally dirt cheap I was getting complete in box games for like $5.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

why does this matter, if this stuff is important enough to someone that they'd go through all that trouble for it why knock it? do you know how many immigrants learn english from our pop culture artifacts? my dad's from ecuador and he learned english from gangster movies

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

d0s posted:

why does this matter, if this stuff is important enough to someone that they'd go through all that trouble for it why knock it? do you know how many immigrants learn english from our pop culture artifacts? my dad's from ecuador and he learned english from gangster movies

That's fine, on the condition that your dad talks in a Cagney voice all the time

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
New thread attracts new trash posters, hooray! :toot:

Enjoying this desk setup.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Caitlin posted:

Enjoying this desk setup.

I like that you've got a picture of the best sailor scout next to your Famicom.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

kirbysuperstar posted:

They're right though

there's also raw anime to consider :nyoron:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Instant Sunrise posted:

I like that you've got a picture of the best sailor scout next to your Famicom.
Finally something we can all agree on

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Harlock posted:

Finally something we can all agree on

It's true, Jupiter is far and away the best.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

I'm not new! I've been trash posting in the retro thread for years and I'm hurt that you don't remember me. :smith:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

d0s posted:

the colecovision would definitely be there

It really should be in there. Could just list burger time 5 times. Or 4 and Donkey Kong?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

falz posted:

It really should be in there. Could just list burger time 5 times. Or 4 and Donkey Kong?

The Zaxxon port is the best home version, too.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

cosmic avenger is an excellent port of one of the very earliest horizontal shooters, turbo was probably the best home port of a racing game to date. ladybug was dead-on and honestly better than pac-man imo. the CV's library wasn't huge but there was a lot of quality there

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Clearly I need to expand my Coleco library. I don't suppose there are any flash carts for it are there?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
first 13 years of nintendo power are online now https://archive.org/details/nintendopower?&sort=-downloads&page=2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

I've never tried learning Japanese but I've played so many imports that I can recognize commands and navigate most menus just fine. It's decent enough that I can play most anything that isn't a RPG so :shepface:

Honestly unless you care about the story and have played enough games you can blindly figure out tons of Japanese games. Hell I did play through a Korean rpg on my PSP back in the day because there wasn't anything else to play on it.

• Locked thread