Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Cubey posted:

If/when you get around to adding the 2600 to the OP, make sure you include Atlantis in the 5 great games list because Atlantis owns bones.

Also include it in the Intellivision list if you ever make one (I mean you did write-ups on the 3DO and CD-i so might as well).

Or hell maybe I'll just do the write-ups for both since I'm seemingly like the only dude in these threads who gives a single poo poo about that era of gaming.

Do it. Because I don't want to. ( Also the easiest answer for good pre crash games on consoles is : pretty much every worthwhile pre crash game was made by Activision, Imagic, Parker Brothers, and some of the console makers on their home system. Although many of these games are superior on the home computers of the day. )

Also the Vectrex is your god and master and all should praise it.

Edit: if I had to make a quick top 5 for the 2600, Inty, and Coleco:

2600: Pitfall 2, River RAID, HERO, Cosmic Ark, Berzerk

Inty: Snafu, Space Battle, Astrosmash, Microsurgeon, Burger Time

Colecovision: Gorf, Montezumas Revenge, Zaxxon, HERO, Frenzy

For the 5200 I just recommend an emulator or the Atari 8 bit computers because the machine is unreliable and the joysticks come from Satan's taint. But 5 for it? Gremlins, Berzerk, River Raid, Miner 2049er, Pac Man. ( Serious DO NOT PLAY ON STOCK 5200 THAT WAY LIES PAIN.)

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I finished a project today!

The brightness was fine so I didn't attach the power wire on the cable adapter. It has a slight... sort of interlacing problem (that's what it looks like anyway) when things are in motion. I think there's a pot I can adjust somewhere in there so I'll give that a try some time. It's way better than stock or an AGS-001 the way it is, so I'm happy.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Robotron was also a good one for Atari. It might not really hold up to later games in the genre but Yars Revenge was enjoyable to and did not have a vastly superior arcade version, unlike most Atari games.

Also since it keeps popping up in this thread, I got some Vectrex games the other day yet, refusing to use ebay, do not actually have a 'trex so all I can do is stare at them and think of how much money I paid.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Smdh you colleco guys aren't mentioning Smurf.

And venture that was cool too

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

wa27 posted:

I finished a project today!

The brightness was fine so I didn't attach the power wire on the cable adapter. It has a slight... sort of interlacing problem (that's what it looks like anyway) when things are in motion. I think there's a pot I can adjust somewhere in there so I'll give that a try some time. It's way better than stock or an AGS-001 the way it is, so I'm happy.

Congrats! There is a pot on the back, either take off the back casing, or I believe you could punch a hole through the back label to actually access it though I'm not 100% sure (people may just drill holes above it that happens to go through the label). Its a set and forget type thing, so I'd just take the back off and go that route.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

FireMrshlBill posted:

Congrats! There is a pot on the back, either take off the back casing, or I believe you could punch a hole through the back label to actually access it though I'm not 100% sure (people may just drill holes above it that happens to go through the label). Its a set and forget type thing, so I'd just take the back off and go that route.

Yeah I was just wondering how I could get to it while it was on, considering the battery contacts are in the back casing. I guess that's why people drill holes.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Please do not learn a language exclusively to play retro video games with. Namaste.

I took two years of Japanese in high school back in the early '00s because I was also taking a bunch of business classes. For some reason, I had the idea that Japanese would be great for business because of my dumb obsession with '80s movies that talked about Japanese businesses overtaking US businesses.

Now I just use it for video games. And Japanese pro wrestling.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

I got my Elgato HD game capture today from Amazon. I played around a bit tonight with my GC connected and think I can get it going well. I don't know why, but I want to do some streams of 007 games to start with. I plan to start with Everything or Nothing for the GBA since I haven't played through it yet and I figure since it is a handheld game and shorter, its a good starting point. I really should drag my Retron5 down for better output, but I kinda like the idea of using my GB player via s-video... though that may look ugly on the stream... I dunno.

I think I will give it a test run on Thursday night after 10pm eastern but will really start streaming next week. Most likely Tuesday night because I will be busy with work until Monday afternoon, so feel free to watch me crash and burn in my attempt and laugh at me. Twitch username: fmb_streams

After that, I may do Everything or Nothing for PS2/Xbox, or maybe go through what I have in my collection chronologically starting with James Bond 007 for the 2600 (what a nonsensical and lovely game). I just need to redo the composite mod on my 2600, rewire the circuit and properly mount it inside since last time I fired it up a couple months ago, the image was dark and I noticed when I plugged in the AC adapter some nice blue sparks popped and sizzled where I plugged the adapter into the console, though I know I should plug into console first and then wall. Then move on to James Bond Jr for NES after that, I have a CIB version that I have never played.

There are some good and many mediocre-to-bad 007 games, I really wish they stepped it up with them. 007 Legends was probably my least favorite and hopefully did not kill any chances of new 007 games getting made.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

wa27 posted:

Yeah I was just wondering how I could get to it while it was on, considering the battery contacts are in the back casing. I guess that's why people drill holes.

They have battery packs for 2x AA batteries that you could use and have clips/leads going to the console back. Also, could just use wire and tape up 2x AA batteries to accomplish the same, maybe lightly solder wires to the leads on the GBA so you can power it on without the back case?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

FireMrshlBill posted:

I got my Elgato HD game capture today from Amazon. I played around a bit tonight with my GC connected and think I can get it going well. I don't know why, but I want to do some streams of 007 games to start with. I plan to start with Everything or Nothing for the GBA since I haven't played through it yet and I figure since it is a handheld game and shorter, its a good starting point. I really should drag my Retron5 down for better output, but I kinda like the idea of using my GB player via s-video... though that may look ugly on the stream... I dunno.

I think I will give it a test run on Thursday night after 10pm eastern but will really start streaming next week. Most likely Tuesday night because I will be busy with work until Monday afternoon, so feel free to watch me crash and burn in my attempt and laugh at me. Twitch username: fmb_streams

After that, I may do Everything or Nothing for PS2/Xbox, or maybe go through what I have in my collection chronologically starting with James Bond 007 for the 2600 (what a nonsensical and lovely game). I just need to redo the composite mod on my 2600, rewire the circuit and properly mount it inside since last time I fired it up a couple months ago, the image was dark and I noticed when I plugged in the AC adapter some nice blue sparks popped and sizzled where I plugged the adapter into the console, though I know I should plug into console first and then wall. Then move on to James Bond Jr for NES after that, I have a CIB version that I have never played.

There are some good and many mediocre-to-bad 007 games, I really wish they stepped it up with them. 007 Legends was probably my least favorite and hopefully did not kill any chances of new 007 games getting made.

Please tell me you have all those awful PSX games EA made after getting the rights to make Bond games after the success of Goldeneye.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 3, 2016

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.

FireMrshlBill posted:

Since a few people mentioned streaming, I have been considering it for awhile, as well as getting some gameplay footage up on YouTube for games that are lacking good videos. Mostly just to give myself some structure in gaming, I have been sloppy in my game play lately, so I figure if I stream I'd be a little more intentional in my decisions/strategy and whatnot.

Anyways, my question is, I am considering getting the Elgato HD game capture unit. For older systems, is just using the Svideo adapter via AV-in good enough for streaming, or is an upscaler like the Framemeister really necessary? I could probably just use the Retron 5 via HDMI (though I'd prefer actual consoles), but for things like the N64 and GameCube I'd need to use Svideo until the GC plug n play component/HDMI adapters come out, if ever. Also, things like PS1 I'd need to compare using PSone (s-video) vs PS2 (component) vs PS3 (HDMI).

Thanks!

I think that for streaming it is fine, but obviously you will get better video quality from upscaling RGB trough the Framemeister. The same applies while capturing video to upload, with the added detail that the Framemeister will save you a lot of time as correctly upscaling 240p video to HD on your own can be time consuming and may requiere that you learn to use tools like Avisynth to properly deinterlace and upscale the video to HD. I mean, the Elgato can capture nice looking video on it's own, and you may find that you do not need to alter the video quality, but you can also get better results by tinkering with the resultant videos (HD stuff is fine without needing any modification).

I have not used the Elgato to stream S-Video stuff, only to capture to later edit in Premiere. If you are going to use the N64, or anything that outputs 240p, it will probably be best that you also include a CRT TV and a S-Video booster/splitter in your setup. The Elgato will attempt to send the 240p signal to your TV trough HDMI, so you can play in real time while the video is being recorded with a signficant delay in your computer, but it is possible that your TV might not accept this video signal trough HDMI or frequently black out during gameplay (this happened with an older Sony Bravia and a newer LG). In my setup, I connect the Saturn trough S-Video to the booster/splitter, then from the splitter one cable to the CRT and another to the Elgato.

Elgato includes it's own PS3 component cable that connects directly from the console to the device. It cannot capture video trough HDMI from the PS3. The benefit of recording PSOne content from the PS3 is that it will be nicely upscaled to High Definition, so you do not have to do anything for it to look as good as it can get. Please keep in mind that the Elgato cannot capture 240p content from component cables, only from composite and S-Video, so using the PS2 with the component cable will not work. Also, the S-Video cable for Elgato is sold separately (or at least that was my case a few years back).

Again, the Framemeister (or any other similar alternative device) is not necessary, and it is a very expensive solution, between the device and the necessary cables. It really depends on the video quality you want. The Retron may be the easiest route. It's going to depend on how the video quality feels to you.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Topolino posted:

Elgato includes it's own PS3 component cable that connects directly from the console to the device. It cannot capture video trough HDMI from the PS3. The benefit of recording PSOne content from the PS3 is that it will be nicely upscaled to High Definition, so you do not have to do anything for it to look as good as it can get. Please keep in mind that the Elgato cannot capture 240p content from component cables, only from composite and S-Video, so using the PS2 with the component cable will not work. Also, the S-Video cable for Elgato is sold separately (or at least that was my case a few years back).

Thanks for the info, I was hoping to use component for PS2 and Xbox game capture, but I guess those are 480i and above anyway. I'll just do PS1 game capture via PS3 or PSone (via S-video). I ordered the s-video cable adapter and should get it soon. Today I was playing around and just hooked up my GC using composite (red input on component cable) and had the S-video going to my CRT. Was surprised with the video quality, though I know to expect lower quality from streaming. I'll play around a bit before investing in too much equipment and see what I can do. It'll just be for fun anyway. May also compile some footage for some reviews/discussions on YouTube.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've reading about capturing RGB for live streaming and a lot of people suggest a capture card such as this one (+sync strike).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16815158418

This would be mostly for 240p.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Instant Sunrise posted:

Please tell me you have all those awful PSX games EA made after getting the rights to make Bond games after the success of Goldeneye.

Haha, I have Tomorrow Never Dies and 007 Racing on PS1. I only previously had the N64 version of The World is Not Enough, but after I decided to do a 007 streaming (and hopefully YT review) series, I recent ordered a PS1 copy on eBay and am waiting on media mail to deliver (I hate when people use media mail, just charge $0.50 more and send via first class, I feel that USPS purposely delays media mail just to punish you for not paying more).

Now I need to decide how nuts I want to get with owning and comparing the PS2/Xbox/GC era games on each console. I think I have them all on at least 2 of the 3, but I think Rogue Agent and Agent Under Fire are on all three. There was definitely still differences in that era, however, not so much once you get to PS3/360 era (I have them all on PS3 and see little reason to get on 360 as well). Though I need to repurchase the Wii version of Goldeneye and wish I kept the golden classic controller.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Why would you willingly give up the Most Blinging Wii controller? :colbert:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Harlock posted:

Finally something we can all agree on

Don't make me post my Mercury shrine

al-azad
May 28, 2009

flyboi posted:

I've never tried learning Japanese but I've played so many imports that I can recognize commands and navigate most menus just fine. It's decent enough that I can play most anything that isn't a RPG so :shepface:

Honestly unless you care about the story and have played enough games you can blindly figure out tons of Japanese games. Hell I did play through a Korean rpg on my PSP back in the day because there wasn't anything else to play on it.

I hope it was Astonishia Story. A part of me misses the day when a garbage basement game could get a physical release but I also struggled through that game (in English!) because it was a thing on PSP.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Captain Rufus posted:

Do it. Because I don't want to. ( Also the easiest answer for good pre crash games on consoles is : pretty much every worthwhile pre crash game was made by Activision, Imagic, Parker Brothers, and some of the console makers on their home system. Although many of these games are superior on the home computers of the day. )

Also the Vectrex is your god and master and all should praise it.

Edit: if I had to make a quick top 5 for the 2600, Inty, and Coleco:

2600: Pitfall 2, River RAID, HERO, Cosmic Ark, Berzerk

Inty: Snafu, Space Battle, Astrosmash, Microsurgeon, Burger Time

Colecovision: Gorf, Montezumas Revenge, Zaxxon, HERO, Frenzy

For the 5200 I just recommend an emulator or the Atari 8 bit computers because the machine is unreliable and the joysticks come from Satan's taint. But 5 for it? Gremlins, Berzerk, River Raid, Miner 2049er, Pac Man. ( Serious DO NOT PLAY ON STOCK 5200 THAT WAY LIES PAIN.)

CV Turbo is great, even if the wheel is dinky

The 5200 must be experienced. It is a rite of passage.

Also loving COUNTERMEASURE, come on.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Caitlin posted:

New thread attracts new trash posters, hooray! :toot:

Enjoying this desk setup.

I worry about heat and that Duo, a friends unit keeps getting hot to the touch sitting openly but he does give it 6+ hour sessions for streams after all.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Anybody know the name of the song that plays at the beginning of Zoo Keeper? It's really common in old cartoons.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I have 2 random questions

1) Just before the old thread was closed, someone had mentioned they were impressed with the SNES Shadowrun's ability to use Japanese lettering. I understand this typically needs a higher resolution, which is really rare in SNES games. I played the Japanese Shadowrun and it did not appear to be running in a higher resolution (I can usually tell because the Framemeister wigs out for a bit as it changes resolution). So how is it doing it? Sort of related but what is the technical reason that the Japanese Shadowrun has such an incredible looking title screen compared to the US version? It's the oddest looking thing. It appears like it's high resolution (or something I can't quite put my finger on) but the Framemeister isn't acting like it's a high res screen. :confused: You really have to see it on an actual TV screen to see what I am talking about as screen shots online do not do it justice.

2) What was the realtime clock used for in Daikaijuu Monogatari II? Somehow nobody on the internet thought to ask this question, and I couldn't even find anything describing what a real-time clock even did in the game.

Is it basically some sort of chip that keeps a clock running even when the game is off? Does it just use the battery meant for saving 24/7, depleting it faster than other games' batteries die?

Is the game any good?

3) Holy poo poo a 64GB Vita memory card is $110 :stonklol:

I also wanted to say great job on the OP! The only thing I would add is to stress in the OP that the SD2SNES supports CD audio and FMVs. "A Link to the Past DX" alone makes it worth the extra money, never mind the future capabilities of it.

wa27 posted:

No hole drilling needed. There is already a hole there; just poke a tiny screwdriver through the back label. I guess Nintendo wanted to be able to adjust the pot with the screen on as well. I remember this because back in 2001 everyone on the internet thought they discovered a hidden secret to making the screen brighter.

Fun fact: the scanline issue you are talking about is actually called "multiplexing". Have fun because now you are going to notice it on lots of different devices now, especially handhelds! I see them on the GBC, GBA, GBA Micro, DSi, and new3DS XLs with the IPS screens. Interestingly they are not there on the DS, GBA SP with backlit screens, original 3DS, new3DS (small), or the new3ds XL with TN panels. The DSi XL is probably the worst offender; luckily the system has a pot but I adjust it and it just goes back after a few weeks. The GBA Micro's pot stares right at you when you take off the cover plate. Luckily when adjusted it looks perfect and never "moves" like the DSi XL does.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
From the screenshots I see of Shadowrun for the SFC it looks like they just doubled the tile sizes for the font, which is fine since it's a slower paced adventure game.

edit: That's exactly what they did.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
What is the best home version of Burgertime?

Cream
May 6, 2007
Fett-kart

al-azad posted:

Anybody know the name of the song that plays at the beginning of Zoo Keeper? It's really common in old cartoons.

I'm sure it's taken from this classic. Speed it up to the max and you'll recognise it after the intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZANKFxrcKU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

What is the best home version of Burgertime?

Data East (or their rights holders) released an arcade compilation a few years ago for the Wii and PS2. Weirdly enough, used copies still go for $50. There was a Japan only PS2 port as part of an arcade line as well.

For more feasible options, I have to go ColecoVision, but people argue about whether the NES version, ColecoVision, or Intellivision is the best. The NES version was a very early game, released in the second wave of third-party games in 1985 so it doesn't have a lot of advantage over the Coleco version.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I also wanted to say great job on the OP! The only thing I would add is to stress in the OP that the SD2SNES supports CD audio and FMVs. "A Link to the Past DX" alone makes it worth the extra money, never mind the future capabilities of it.

Thanks and done

Random Stranger posted:

Weirdly enough, used copies still go for $50.

This is weird because I remember buying this for wii at a gamestop used for like 5 bucks. I think I used it once and remember it being a very barebones & not particularly good emulator package? am I remembering wrong or are collectors that weird

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

d0s posted:

or are collectors that weird

This is a question you have the ask as the OP of this thread?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cream posted:

I'm sure it's taken from this classic. Speed it up to the max and you'll recognise it after the intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZANKFxrcKU

Oh yes, the Banjo Kazooie motif.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

d0s posted:

This is weird because I remember buying this for wii at a gamestop used for like 5 bucks. I think I used it once and remember it being a very barebones & not particularly good emulator package? am I remembering wrong or are collectors that weird

The emulator's fine for the lighter games like Burger Time. But Data East was never the best game developer so the rest of the package is pretty lackluster with a lot of weak games. And the emulator isn't as nice for games like Two Crude Dudes and Wizard Fire, though I think it's at least partially because those games looked and sounded awful to begin with.

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

falz posted:

Clearly I need to expand my Coleco library. I don't suppose there are any flash carts for it are there?

There's an Atarimax Colecovision Ultimate SD Cart for $135.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

In the competitor land, there's the Harmony for the 2600 (and maybe 7600?)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I'd say the OP should definitely recommend that if you're going to get into the really old systems like the 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision - just buy a flashcart when they're available. Their libraries are so much more enjoyable when you can just switch right to a new game when the current one gets boring after like 15 minutes tops, as pretty much all of them do, without having to dig through a bunch of cartridges.

The Harmony cartridge is great for the 2600 - and you only need a 4 megabyte SD card in it to hold all the games. It'll work on a 7800 of course, but only for 2600 games.
The Atarimax Ultimate SD Multi-Cart for Atari 5200 is the only real option for the 5200, though you might prefer to just get an Atari 8 bit computer system and a drive/tape emulator for one of them instead.
The "Harmony 2"/Concerto is soon going to be in wide availability for the 7800 and is your only other option other than the long discontinued Cuttle Cart 2 - some people already have early units.
The Atarimax Colecovision Ultimate is the best Colecovision one available. There are other older ones out there but they're not as nice
Intellivision is a bit more tricky. There's been various ones produced int he past but no longer built, like the Cuttle Cart 3. There's also a number of projects that are in the works to create new flashcarts, but it doesn't seem like any are actually in production quite yet?

For other weirder/less popular systems, see the list here, it's kept fairly updated: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/127752-flashcart-and-multicart-list-all-systems/

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

d0s posted:

You remember rightly but it's the only time some of those games ever got a home version and pretty much the only legacy Data East release since they went bankrupt so it's still a sought-after thing.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

al-azad posted:

I hope it was Astonishia Story. A part of me misses the day when a garbage basement game could get a physical release but I also struggled through that game (in English!) because it was a thing on PSP.

It was! It came out something like a year before US in Korea and there wasn't much at all worth playing on PSP at the time unless you liked really boring shovelware, Ridge Racer or Puzzle Bobble.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Today I got the only Multitap worth owning

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Umm?

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
only Super Famicom one worth owning then!

I also got this Japanese "Merlin" sort of handheld thing called the Game Robot 5.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mace Bacon posted:

only Super Famicom one worth owning then!

I also got this Japanese "Merlin" sort of handheld thing called the Game Robot 5.

I think I've seen one of those in the US, but I have no idea what it would have been called over here. Probably something stupid and distributed in Radio Shacks. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_____!
May 2, 2004

My Super Nintendo multi-tap may not be shaped liked Bomberman, but at least I have some solace that I can look at the Hudson bee on the sticker:kiddo:. Man I just had a flashback to ordering that and Super Bomberman 2 out of one of the listings in the back of EGM circa '97.

• Locked thread