Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Sometimes small candy stores etc in Japan keep cabs outside near the entrance, sometimes these have little wheels to make em easier to move, it probably got blown by strong winds in a typhoon or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

falz posted:

Anyone speak moon language?

http://www.ettoday.net/news/20160928/783362.htm

"In the Tainan is the three sections of Yongcheng Road, standing on the road a large-scale game machine, is the fridge and turkey rice after the signs of the bright spot roadblocks, The game arcade suddenly appeared in front of, can not help but let this quiet typhoon night smile, netizen said, "This is to fight it?", There are friends to write "l dragon box" button secret technology "right turn right Press the punch.

At present, due to Meiji fangbo and high tide, Tainan has been flooded the disaster, or please stay at home to observe the typhoon at any time, outdoor strong winds if not necessary to go out to ensure their own safety."

k

Not Mandarin moon, I'm afraid.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

falz posted:

Anyone speak moon language?

http://www.ettoday.net/news/20160928/783362.htm

"In the Tainan is the three sections of Yongcheng Road, standing on the road a large-scale game machine, is the fridge and turkey rice after the signs of the bright spot roadblocks, The game arcade suddenly appeared in front of, can not help but let this quiet typhoon night smile, netizen said, "This is to fight it?", There are friends to write "l dragon box" button secret technology "right turn right Press the punch.

At present, due to Meiji fangbo and high tide, Tainan has been flooded the disaster, or please stay at home to observe the typhoon at any time, outdoor strong winds if not necessary to go out to ensure their own safety."

k

I don't know moon runes but I can read between the lines from your auto-translate pretty easily.

"On Yongcheng Road, there was a very bad typhoon. Driving at night people found an arcade cabinet in the middle of the road unexpectedly, pushed outside by the storm and flooding. It was a fighting game, and someone had written on the side of the cabinet how to perform the famous 'dragon punch' technique from street fighter. The typhoon is still ongoing and very dangerous so please stay at home"

Or maybe it fell off a truck, IDK.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Acid is a dude. I think you're all discounting that he deliberately lies to people to scam/manipulate them and is good at doing it (see Rufus jumping in to defend him every time he's brought up). I wish someone had tipped off the IRS about him because among other things, he was definitely a tax cheat to the tune of thousands of dollars.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I finally got around to putting the parts together for my PS2 to read off SD. I bought most of the parts ages ago, but the IDE-Laptop IDE adapter didn't fit right, so I just said fuckit for like a year.

I added on a ribbon cable SD card extender to make it easier to change the games I have stored.

I'm just going to keep it taped to the back until I'm sure it's not just going to fail on me. If it makes it long enough, I'll run it through the empty space where a hard drive should be and mount it out the front of the system.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

liquid courage posted:

Acid is a dude. I think you're all discounting that he deliberately lies to people to scam/manipulate them and is good at doing it (see Rufus jumping in to defend him every time he's brought up). I wish someone had tipped off the IRS about him because among other things, he was definitely a tax cheat to the tune of thousands of dollars.

Well yeah, but Rufus is a person who thinks the devil weed made him do it. Acid conned multiple people including myself.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

liquid courage posted:

Actually I tried to get y'all's money back if I could. Some folks asked me why I was even trying to help a bunch of miserable ungrateful fucks. They had a good point. Take some time to ruminate upon these truths. When someone tries to help you get unfucked by a hosed thing the answer is to not scream incoherently and gently caress yourself harder.

(Also I don't know or really give a gently caress what gender Acid or anyone else is. Especially in an online subforum devoted to nerd poo poo. It's more are you an rear end in a top hat or not. And while Acid has never been an rear end in a top hat to me what happened to other people is in fact unacceptable and hosed UP.)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You know what I don't care about? Talking about acid police

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!
I get "Karma Police" stuck in my head every time I see that name so please stop, I don't like this song anymore.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Who are you, the acid police police?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Screw Acid Police, but I had to LoL at the tax cheat thing.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

TheRedEye posted:

I get "Karma Police" stuck in my head every time I see that name so please stop, I don't like this song anymore.

How does it compare to Karma Chameleon though?

If I wasn't heading to work this would be a good segue into music one listens to when retro gaming or even when the games were current. We Didn't Start the Fire is permanently connected to Dragon Warrior 1 for me.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm sorry, I have a brain disease that causes me to post whenever he's brought up.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

TheRedEye posted:

Aaaacid poooolice. Return those drives you're in too deep. Stop giving us those lies~

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Whenever I play through a level dungeon in Last Battle/Hokuto No Ken, my mind instantly goes to "Bring On The Dancing Horses" by Echo and the Bunnymen.

Dungeon:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9XBOrz4XRLw

Bunnymen:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V_bJf3foa5I

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Rufus posted:

How does it compare to Karma Chameleon though?

If I wasn't heading to work this would be a good segue into music one listens to when retro gaming or even when the games were current. We Didn't Start the Fire is permanently connected to Dragon Warrior 1 for me.

Playing early N64 stuff immediately brings to mind Smash Mouth and Sugar Ray's first albums, because I got a CD player and those the same Christmas I got an N64 with Mario Kart 64 and SM64.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Captain Rufus posted:

Mario RPG is forever tied to the Matchbox 20 album you or someone like yourself for me because I got both as gifts at the same age.

And I listened to the Black Mages soundtrack on loop while I played Final Fantasy XI (which being an MMO was like 5,000 hours, so that poo poo is burned into my brain)

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
I didn't like the music in Galactic Attack (aka Rayforce and Layer Section) on the Saturn, so I always put on Orbit's Libido Speedway. It synced up so "Medicine" came on during the shaft-dive level.

I never could make it more than twenty minutes into the game, so to this day I remember the first six or seven songs of the album very well and couldn't tell you a thing about the second half.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Cindy Shitbird posted:

Playing early N64 stuff immediately brings to mind Smash Mouth and Sugar Ray's first albums, because I got a CD player and those the same Christmas I got an N64 with Mario Kart 64 and SM64.

I completely forgot I used to listen to the Twisted Metal 4 PSX cd in my portable cd player while playing Dragon Warrior on my GBC via Wormlight until just now. I think TM4's soundtrack was the only remotely good thing about it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

I didn't like the music in Galactic Attack (aka Rayforce and Layer Section) on the Saturn, so I always put on Orbit's Libido Speedway. It synced up so "Medicine" came on during the shaft-dive level.

I never could make it more than twenty minutes into the game, so to this day I remember the first six or seven songs of the album very well and couldn't tell you a thing about the second half.

I thought you said Raystorm for a second and I was about to get all up in your poo poo because that soundtrack is awesome, Rayforce soundtrack is pretty "eh" tho

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Dr. Dos posted:

I completely forgot I used to listen to the Twisted Metal 4 PSX cd in my portable cd player while playing Dragon Warrior on my GBC via Wormlight until just now. I think TM4's soundtrack was the only remotely good thing about it.

I like to pretend other people also discovered Type O Negative in 1996 with Descent II's redbook soundtrack. MechWarrior II had a redbook soundtrack as well.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Zaphod42 posted:

Mario RPG is forever tied to the Matchbox 20 album you or someone like yourself for me because I got both as gifts at the same age.

And I listened to the Black Mages soundtrack on loop while I played Final Fantasy XI (which being an MMO was like 5,000 hours, so that poo poo is burned into my brain)

You fuckers are makin me feel old as poo poo. Like, I was kind of out of the Navy when some of this music came out. Like I got out in 96 and a store even had a JPN N64 for sale and demoing before it was out in the US.

Bloody hell.

Also Matchbox 20? Smash mouth? What's next? Hootie? Alien Ant Farm? Ace of Base? Man I spent my teen years listening to 60-70s rock and getting a proper music education. Like Ultima 4 was completed while listening to the Doors. And for some inane reason I equate Genesis SHMUP Hellfire with the Beatles cuz the station had BREAKFAST WITH THE BEATLES Saturday mornings and one Sat AM I was playing it. I also equate Super Hydlide with Skid Row for odd reasons involving doing laundry and a magazine actually having a guide for that game. It's not precisely a GOOD game but I find it interesting and compelling...

Also extra odd music to game due to the fellow above? Mechwarrior 2 to Garth Brooks The Hits. I really liked Thunder Rolls and The Dance

Oddly as much as I worshipped pre Load era Metallica I just don't really equate them to any games or anything. Same with GWAR except they never had St Anger to be so bad even the indie hard rock station apologized for playing it. It was sort of the twilight of radio in cars for me outside of like NPR. Podcasts and the original IPod Nano were like manna from Heaven.

More weirdness? Thexder in DOSBOX while discovering The 36 Chambers of the Wu Tang Clan.

Hmm.. Lots of the games I mentioned had really good soundtracks to begin with too. It is too odd to ponder. But it's almost time for bed and I clearly need to go look into getting a walker and some Werther's Originals because I am clearly old as hell. :negative:

Edit the second. I have some dumb thoughts equating said Fab Four and Nintendo and how I respect but don't worship or much like them a ton but I need to equate Paper Mario to the White Album in being legit loving great, and McCartney and Lennon's solo careers to Advance Wars and post GBA Fire Emblems in also having some top shelf quality. I'll just go with that and then quietly pretend the 16-32 bit 2d Metroids also fit in there someplace. Or maybe the Metroids are the solo stuff and AW and FE are really like the Stones or the Who or Pink Floyd. Maybe it works. It's too late to figure it out. Discuss amongst yourselves or make me feel super old by not even knowing about some legendary bands.

And would that make Sega Led Zeppelin? I mean they have never beaten a groupie with a shark but they do beat Sonic fans on the reg. And Goatsce us Phantasy Star geeks...

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 13, 2017

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I think my most co-related music/gaming thing is Doom II and whatever the Eugene-based alternative radio station I could receive on my clock radio was playing in the afternoons in 1996, 1997. So, off hand from memory:

Pearl Jam's biggest hits, of course.
"Hunger Strike" by Temple Of The Dog was pretty common, for some reason.
"Good" by Better Than Ezra.
Whatever hit songs the band Live had.
"I'm Not An Addict" by K's Choice.
"Volcano Girls" by Veruca Salt.
"Naked Eye" by Luscious Jackson.
"Head Like A Hole" by Nine Inch Nails.
"Plowed" by Sponge.
A round up of Beck's big hits at that time.
The big radio hits of Smashing Pumpkins, of course.

There is probably stuff I'm forgetting, but I imagine it would be a pretty familiar sort of playlist to anyone listening to mainstream "alternative" music radio at that point in time.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I used to play Worms Armageddon to a tape that had Pogues songs on one side and Papa Roach's Infest on the other.

One of these bands has stuck with me through the years.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

An actual advertised feature of the first Ridge Racer on PSX was that the entire game loaded into memory at the beginning (while you played a game of Galaxian) and you were free to put your own music CD in. This was before I learned to appreciate Ridge Racer music for the awesomeness that it is so I'd always put in a Green Day CD or whatever other thing my 12 year old self liked. Foo Fighters and Aerosmith probably

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
I'd obsessively play Super Mario 64 while listening to Hootie and the Blowfish on a personal CD player; it wasn't even one of their good albums I don't know what the gently caress was/is wrong with me.

I'd put in Green Day's Dookie while playing Quake on PC and I would play the levels just long enough to finish them when each track ended and was totally convinced that, if you recorded me playing it, they'd make really good music videos!!!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I played a lot of CS1.6 while listening to N.E.R.D.. Also at some point I edited the Gran Turismo 4 playlist so it was only Panama.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Who would have thought Rufus's music posts are just like his video game posts?

I listened to Static X while playing quake 3. Is that edgy enough?
Pacman Fever usually loops in my head when I play frogged. Go figure.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 13, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I played the album Microscopic by Skinny Puppy side project Download while playing a pirated version of one of the quake 1 mission packs so much that when I went to replay them earlier this year the music they actually include just felt wrong.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

I played a lot of CS1.6 while listening to N.E.R.D.. Also at some point I edited the Gran Turismo 4 playlist so it was only Panama.

The GT games always have amazing soundtracks, the people who pick the music for those games seem to know the music of their time really well and there are always one or two songs in each that that make me go "holy poo poo!" when I first hear them in game, because it always happens to be a really current song I like by some artist I didn't expect to get into a game like that:

GT1:
Ash - Lose Control
Garbage - As Heaven is Wide

GT2:
Soul Coughing - Super Bon Bon
Boom Boom Satellites - Push Eject

GT3:
Goldfinger - 99 Red Balloons

GT4:
Fischerspooner - Emerge
Photek - Quaman
Rock 'n' Roll Soldiers - Funny Little Feeling
Kasabian - Reason is Treason

By the time GT5 came out I could tell I was old because instead of making me go "hell yeah" my reaction was more like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3q4RZz-PfI , that's how you know they still have a good grasp of whatever the bleeding edge of the music zeitgeist is or whatever, they did use Borrowed Time by TC in the trailer though which was rad. GT6 had tracks by Underworld and Depeche Mode for the old people, which I appreciated

d0s fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 13, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For me its Goldeneye and SF Rush on the N64 soundtracked by Outkasts ATLiens and Stankonia. I tend not to replace game soundtracks with my own unless its a game I've played so much that I need something else to listen to, which was the case for both of those games

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have a lot of fond memories of listening to Cradle of Filth while playing the Resident Evil series at my friends house over the summers. I was way into them in high school.

I also remember listening to the Starcraft soundtrack while playing Diablo II. I'm not really sure why, the Diablo soundtrack is amazing.

And who could forget, the carousel music in Roller Coaster Tycoon. When I was a kid I couldn't figure out how to turn off that music, so I would just listen to it. I'm sure that had to have some lasting mental impact.

Chill out Rufus.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I used to play... the Ren and Stimpy games and listen to the B-52s?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also if you were into drum n bass in the 90's the Destriction Derby soundtrack was pretty drat good.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Wipeout XL was the best soundtrack ever.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also if you were into drum n bass in the 90's the Destriction Derby soundtrack was pretty drat good.

yes

Bigass Moth posted:

Wipeout XL was the best soundtrack ever.

and hell yes, WOXL soundtrack and Hackers soundtrack were what got me to stop listening exclusively to punk and miami booty rap

e: the original wipeout soundtrack by former demo scene music guy tim wright aka CoLD SToRAGE was pretty great too

d0s fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 13, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

d0s posted:

yes

and hell yes, WOXL soundtrack and Hackers soundtrack were what got me to stop listening exclusively to punk and miami booty rap

e: the original wipeout soundtrack by former demo scene music guy tim wright aka CoLD SToRAGE was pretty great too

When I first heard Firestarter I thought "Woah cool these guys used video game music and made a song from it!" not realizing that Firestarter came first and Wipeout's developers just licensed an instrumental version of it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron PC demo with the Spawn soundtrack, for maximum 1998-ness. Got to trip AT-AT's on Hoth to this tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofamFBk92Pk

Also Quake 1 had plenty of fun CD's that worked well with it; off the top of my head, the Mechwarrior 2 game CD and Bad Religion's Recipe for Hate were good choices.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

TheRedEye posted:

"Acid Police" is actually a really entertaining Boredoms song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_VS2BQjYIc

It's a shame the guy using the name here is apparently a total dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I don't really have any particularly amusing "playing music not designed specifically for the game" stories, beyond loading up Quake with the wrong CD back in the day and getting the soundtrack to sample The Games Factory game "Magician's Lair" (the soundtrack for which isn't anywhere on YouTube, figures), or playing a func_mapjam2 Quake level that erroneously set the music track to 1 (the game data), causing the OGG playback of my source port to not kick in and instead play this Andrew Lloyd Webber music CD I had been ripping earlier. (It actually fit surprisingly well, even though the theme of the mapset was "vaguely Arabic" and the music is more Spanish/Hispanic. Also the lyrics talk about friendship and love, and the game is about shooting eldritch demons. Still!)

I suppose I also associate "Oh poo poo!" by The Pharcyde with Way of the Samurai 4 thanks to an early modding video replacing the stock battle theme with it. (I've never played a Way of the Samurai game.)

• Locked thread