Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The best anime game is your favorite character pack for Mugen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Some more decent pre-PlayStation games based on anime and manga:

Cyborg Hunter (SMS)
Hyper Iria (Super NES)
Little Nemo (NES and arcade, technically wouldn't exist without the animated movie)
Mystic Defender (Genesis)
Macross Plus (arcade)
The Sailor Moon brawler (arcade)
Samurai Pizza Cats / Kyattou Ninden Teyandee (NES)
Secret Ties (NES, unreleased in its day but available from every ROM site)
Spellcaster (SMS)
YuYu Hakusho (Genesis)
Zillion (SMS, the second one isn't as good)

I won't say that the majority of those are amazing, but they're all fun on their own merits. And you'll find plenty of other games that are enjoyable if you're a fan of the source material, like the old Doraemon NES game, the Zenki PC-FX game, or the Arslan and Record of Lodoss War games for the Sega CD. A lot of anime-based games are crap, of course.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

What's the Miami Mike incident

https://twitter.com/bunnycartoon/status/617529970001182720

No one seems to know exactly what he did. It's the Noodle Incident of old anime fansubs.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Charles Get-Out posted:

It's clearly Magic Knight Rayearth for the Saturn.

This is a good answer, but the Sailor Moon Super S fighting game (Zenin Sanka) came out before that and is great. I would accept a brawler answer too, depends on your taste.

e : also, Keith Courage, fite me
e 2 : Kyatto Nidnden Teyandee, AKA Samurai Pizza Cats (Famicom)

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Plastic bonding glues are loving the most toxic smelling thing holy poo poo

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Hey Southern California goons - SC3 has been officially announced for April 22nd, 4-midnight (with people setting up tables as early as 1:30pm). I'll be there - how about you?

http://www.sc3videogames.com

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lotta good games being mentioned...

Charles Get-Out posted:

Actually, that's not a bad game even though nowhere near worth the insane prices for it. It's kind of fun as a light action-adventure game.

I'm glad I got it on Saturn clearance.

Kid Fenris posted:

Little Nemo (NES and arcade, technically wouldn't exist without the animated movie)

I completely forgot that this was actually based on the anime rather than Winsor McCay's comics (I still have to get the other giant oversized volume of the strips)..

Kid Fenris posted:

YuYu Hakusho (Genesis)

I really dislike this one. It's got a lot of the early fighter clunkiness and I find it really clumsy to play.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 15, 2017

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

absolutely anything posted:

And to sorta combine the two recent topics, back when I was in high school my mom worked at the library of my old middle school so I'd just dick around in there when I got out. I ended up installing a torrent client to a computer and using that to download a ton of anime in the background since they never turned them off. Every day after school I would slowly load as much of it as I could onto a couple of Zip disks, then bring them home and copy them onto my computer. Eventually one of them broke and got a corrupted episode of Chobits stuck on it forever, which made me extra mad cause that show ended up being garbo. Even with the one disk all of this was still faster and more efficient than doing it at home on my connection.

The public library in the town I lived in through the 1990s had a pretty great net connection (when everything was basically 56K), so I would download stuff ultra quickly onto floppies.

poo poo got more real when my brother played with the file handling in Netscape and got it to execute WinRAR, so we could break up bigger files. I also recall uploading the odd file to the meager bit of filespace I had with Geocities, so I could download it at home for the times I didn't have enough floppies or they were being lovely.

Lotta ROMs, MP3s, and the like we're schlepped back home that way...memories...

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

did anyone mention gundam wing endless duel because that game is awesome

also sword of the berserk: guts rage for DC

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I dug the hell out of the Record of Lodoss War game for the Dreamcast, but I never watched the anime so I cannot speak to it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I dug the hell out of the Record of Lodoss War game for the Dreamcast, but I never watched the anime so I cannot speak to it.

Yeah totally forgot about that but it was great

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

d0s posted:

did anyone mention gundam wing endless duel because that game is awesome

also sword of the berserk: guts rage for DC

Gundam Wing Endless Duel rules and I have it on SFC cart.

I remember long ago I had some PS1 or PS2 Inuyasha fighting game and it was awful.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There's a PS2 Inuyasha RPG and while it's mediocre by RPG standards it's pure fanservicey goodness that my younger sister hogged my console to play.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Charles Get-Out posted:

This is a good game but the english voice acting and dialogue are HORRENDOUSLY BAD (but a lot of people seem to like the cheesiness). I had to burn myself a copy with japanese voice acting and english text to endure it.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Ive always said n64 was my favourite console but the more i play snes stuff on wii u i realize apart from goldeneye and lylat wars theres not much i like on it

Maybe im just trying to rationalize that there's never going to be a decent 64 emulator

Nonviolent J fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 15, 2017

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
From the preservation files: An unreleased and seemingly-complete Dreamcast port of an obscure late-90s PC racing game has been dug up from an old devkit's hard drive and released for the world at large to toy with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eRTRTPORdg

quote:

Note: The lack of music is due to Dreamshell not supporting CDDA audio via the SD card adapter. There is music in the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

al-azad posted:

We're talking about licensed anime here, not games that look like anime.

Oh. In that case, why has no-one mentioned Robotech: Battlecry? :colbert:.

Nonviolent J posted:

Ive always said n64 was my favourite console but the more i play snes stuff on wii u i realize apart from goldeneye and lylat wars theres not much i like on it

Maybe im just trying to rationalize that there's never going to be a decent 64 emulator

There's a good reason for that; N64 games are idiosyncratically hatefucked builds coded out of spite for the machine, so no game will ever work the same as any other. That's what happens when you (apparently) release a devkit and make the developers all work without class guides. It is almost a literal miracle that any game works on the drat thing, let alone a library of decent titles.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 15, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh. In that case, why has no-one mentioned Robotech: Battlecry? :colbert:.

In your heart you know the answer to that.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

The Kins posted:

From the preservation files: An unreleased and seemingly-complete Dreamcast port of an obscure late-90s PC racing game has been dug up from an old devkit's hard drive and released for the world at large to toy with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eRTRTPORdg

Oh man weird racing games and dreamcast this is right up my alley, thank you

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
I just want to say as someone who collects old commercials that those are definitely valuable to me. Japanese commercials are so loving great, especially when Hollywood stars decide to go Japandering and you get Schwarzenegger shilling for instant noodles or Stallone for Kirin Beer.

Has anyone played Blaster Master Zero on the Switch? It fixes basically all the problems the original game had. Who wants to play a game like that in one sitting for example? That and Bionic Commando expecting you to play it in one go.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

All that Millennium Racer does is make me want to dig out PS1 Wipeout.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nonviolent J posted:

No there are going to be good N64 emulators. MAME has a cycle-accurate one coming along quite nicely, though it requires a beefy computer to run well and is still only like 2/3 done. There's also the CEN64 project doing the same thing without quite the restrictions of a MAME driver.

Currently CEN64 runs ~2/3 of the N64 library correctly, with another 1/4 running with noticeable errors (such as controller pak based saves not working,, or sky textures missing etc).

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a good reason for that; N64 games are idiosyncratically hatefucked builds coded out of spite for the machine, so no game will ever work the same as any other. That's what happens when you (apparently) release a devkit and make the developers all work without class guides. It is almost a literal miracle that any game works on the drat thing, let alone a library of decent titles.

That's how tons of console programming on every system works. The problem we actually have in emulation is that all the mainstream emulation for the system relied on very high level emulation to try to get games running acceptably on home computers barely faster than the system, and then have been progressively hacked on since then to support more games. You didn't see any real attempts to emulate properly, which would make sure that everything works, until very recently with MESS/MAME starting work on a driver and the CEN64 team starting their own work, both around 2012/2013.

There's a lot of ground to cover still, but ultimately there's weirder changes between game engines between, say, random PS1 games. It's just that PS1 emulators have historically had way more focus on emulating all the hardware from the start instead of trying to make individual game code run!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nonviolent J posted:

You haven't heard the gospel that is Mischief Makers?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The crazy bastard actually did it!

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/842030397261209600

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Random Stranger posted:

In your heart you know the answer to that.

You shut your drat mouth! :argh:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Logged in to post about this. Nice get, Frank/The Red Eye. And holy poo poo, the name of the package is inspired!! It explains the inclusion of Tailspin rather than The Little Mermaid, too. Good job!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, it's a step toward Uncle Buck status, anyway.

TeaJay posted:

This is a good game but the english voice acting and dialogue are HORRENDOUSLY BAD (but a lot of people seem to like the cheesiness). I had to burn myself a copy with japanese voice acting and english text to endure it.
Which reminds me, you didn't encounter any of the slowdown I warned ya of on GAF, right? IIRC it happened in the sky village worst of all, going by the manual.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, it's a step toward Uncle Buck status, anyway.
Which reminds me, you didn't encounter any of the slowdown I warned ya of on GAF, right? IIRC it happened in the sky village worst of all, going by the manual.

I don't think I'm that far yet? I just finished the Tree of Life part and moving on now. Haven't had any problems so far.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
If I buy a used PSP on ebay with the intention of modding it and playing games off of the Memory Stick, what should I be aware of in terms of condition? Seems a lot of the options have broken UMD slots or are "untested" and buy at your own risk.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I'd just pay attention to how scratched the screen is, and to avoid the 1000 models. They have a more fragile UMD door and a hilariously failure prone wifi switch, though it's not like either is particularly useful anymore.

Also the trick with eBay is that "untested" actually means fully functional but they can't be bothered to find a power supply 90% of the time.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Just make sure you pay attention to seller feedback.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Additional reason to avoid the 1000 is that it's the only model that can't output component video. If you're into that sort of thing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bigass Moth posted:

If I buy a used PSP on ebay with the intention of modding it and playing games off of the Memory Stick, what should I be aware of in terms of condition? Seems a lot of the options have broken UMD slots or are "untested" and buy at your own risk.

You should totally go for one with a broken UMD slot, so long as the pictures show that the controls are all in order and the screen looks fine without major scratches. A bad or missing battery/battery door/charger can easily be replaced, and playing games off the UMD drive always sucks anyway. Even if you decide you like collecting the UMDs, you should still play the games off of a memory stick instead, as you get improved load times and battery life out of the unit.

Edit: and to be clear, repairing the UMD slot is often a simple matter of something being jammed or loose, or the laser head somehow getting dirty. Fixing those issues is usually very simple, people just don't bother.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 15, 2017

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Caitlin posted:

e : also, Keith Courage, fite me

I will not fight you. Keith Courage is a nice game and was a fine pack-in for the system. Bonk would've obviously been better due to mascot culture, but I don't think that was necessarily entrenched yet in 89. I just wish they had used the JP cover instead.

I once had an avatar on another forum of the spinning coincat. :3:

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Is Ninja Turtles an anime? If it is can I cast my vote for Turtles in Time?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

worthless. posted:

Additional reason to avoid the 1000 is that it's the only model that can't output component video. If you're into that sort of thing.

On the other hand, RemoteJoy works with all 5 PSP revisions and doesn't look like poo poo like the component out does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxsmzYwbgA4

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Holy poo poo I didn't know that was a thing! I guess I know what I'm doing today.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Ofecks posted:

I will not fight you. Keith Courage is a nice game and was a fine pack-in for the system. Bonk would've obviously been better due to mascot culture, but I don't think that was necessarily entrenched yet in 89. I just wish they had used the JP cover instead.

I once had an avatar on another forum of the spinning coincat. :3:

I used to think Keith Courage was a decent game unfairly thrust into a system-seller role, but then I played it through. The goofy low-rent charm vanishes a few levels in, leaving just a repetitive side-scroller with overworld stages full of boring money-grinding and underworld stages full of cheap deaths that demand memorization. It's good for a laugh or two, but it's a crap game.

R-Type was NEC and Hudson's other choice for a pack-in, and it would've shown off the system much better. And if they had to go with a side-scroller, The Legendary Axe at least looked nice and wasn't the same thing over and over. Bonk was out in Japan a few months after the TurboGrafx-16 hit North America, so it could've been a pack-in if they'd waited.

I think Keith Courage reflects the reluctance of that era's Japanese game companies to bundle a system with one of their best titles. Sega of Japan didn't want to pack Sonic in with the Genesis when Tom Kalinske suggested it, and even the early Genesis lineup was careful not to put Golden Axe or Ghouls 'N Ghosts with the system. Super Mario Bros.accompanied the NES early on, but Nintendo had to take some risks in a market hostile to console games.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The main reason is because they wanted something that looked impressive more than played impressively. The pack-in games usually aren't games you'd go out and buy by themselves when the system launches because they also need you to actually buy software with your console.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

A. Just because it isn't the best game doesn't mean it's a bad game. It just gets a way harsher rep than it should.

B. I've read a few times that choosing games that got released was hilariously mishandled, I don't doubt that this had an effect on things like pack-in titles either. Also, everybody did platformers. You can make the Legendary Axe argument, but R-Type wasn't likely to happen. The first shooter pack in I remember is that disc with Air Zonk.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/225466/stalled_engine_the_turbografx16_.php?print=1

Gamasutra posted:

"I became aware of so many cool games for PC Engine, and NEC was bringing over so many of the wrong games for the TurboGrafx," Ireland says. "The people in charge of picking what games to do were completely out of their element. A main producer was letting her little kids pick which games to bring over because she had no idea what she was looking at. It was absurd."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

It's me I'm the bastard

• Locked thread