Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Amnesia was the first game that made me take a break because of chest pains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

cosmicjim posted:

Same

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Namco announced a new compilation for Switch today and it contains both Rolling Thunder arcade games which, to my knowledge, have never been re-released in their original arcade form before. It also has Splatterhouse, Tank Force and some of the usual golden age arcade games... it's an odd collection, honestly.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Namco announced a new compilation for Switch today and it contains both Rolling Thunder arcade games which, to my knowledge, have never been re-released in their original arcade form before. It also has Splatterhouse, Tank Force and some of the usual golden age arcade games... it's an odd collection, honestly.

Posting the trailer in case anyone wanted to see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcPkzTPYLVU

Some odd choices for the back half of games. Galaga '88? Man, okay.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Posting the trailer in case anyone wanted to see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcPkzTPYLVU

Some odd choices for the back half of games. Galaga '88? Man, okay.

galaga 88 rules though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can't have a console without namco re releases

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

galaga 88 rules though

I'll agree it's a good update to the series that's generally overlooked, but their picks past Dig Dug, Galaga, and Pac-Man feel pretty weird. Okay, Duraga I get because of its extreme popularity in Japan, but Sky Kid?

You know what would have been fun is porting the Mario Kart arcade game they made. And that would actually be doable with the Switch....

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

absolutely anything posted:

galaga 88 rules though

It's a heavy favorite of mine in the series, but still an odd pick!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Pacman, Galaga and Dig Dug are the only golden age Namco games that really stuck outside of Japan so it doesn't surprise me that they'd throw in two Galaga games (and it doesn't hurt that Galaga 88 is really good, either).

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

cosmicjim posted:

Mine was some old half life mod called Afraid of Monsters (I think). I was playing in the dark with my friends, and when the monsters first show up I screamed, dove out of my chair and into my friend's lap. They were pretty understanding about the whole thing.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm playing through Amnesia for the first time and while it was wracking as hell at first it's starting to get kind of boring. I'm glad it's short because more than a few hours of this would get tiring.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Mak0rz posted:

I'm playing through Amnesia for the first time and while it was wracking as hell at first it's starting to get kind of boring. I'm glad it's short because more than a few hours of this would get tiring.

i havent made it past the water yet.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

cosmicjim posted:

i havent made it past the water yet.

That's the best part of the game and then it very quickly loses the charm

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I hope Namco Museum for the Switch will let you rotate the vertical games so you can play with the joycons detached and the console on a table.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

I hope Namco Museum for the Switch will let you rotate the vertical games so you can play with the joycons detached and the console on a table.

It was in the direct that you can do this.

You can also do it with the Hamster SNK games though I don't think any of the ones released so far really benefit from it.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Phone posted:

I've been scared by a Mario game.

In my defense, I wasn't expecting that enemy that was off screen.

First time playing through Super Metroid. It was pretty late, the lights were off, and my brother and I had just beaten Crocomire.

Then we tried to leave its room...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

TVs Ian posted:

First time playing through Super Metroid. It was pretty late, the lights were off, and my brother and I had just beaten Crocomire.

Then we tried to leave its room...

Super Metroid used to scare the poo poo out of me as a kid. I think it was the creepy music in pre-missile Crateria and statue room.

Also 7th Saga, probably because a lot of the enemy sprites are pretty horrifying.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

yeah what the hell galaga 88 is awesome

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Galaga '88 is a huge step down from Gaplus IMO but nobody likes that game because they can't get past Parsec 4

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Did someone mention to Stallone guy that there was an arcade light gun Rambo game a few years back? I was kind of skimming the posts as I caught up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Anybody else like to play both players at the same time when they play LA Machineguns? Its like the only light gun game where that's practical.

Makes me feel like Rambo.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Caitlin posted:

Aw, a good jump scare is so fun though :allears:

RIP again and again Oven Man from RE4 :supaburn:

Fantastic to see Splatterhouse in the new Namco Museum. I wish all the arcade games from Megamix were in it, as that collection has one of the worst interfaces ever and I never fire it up in part because of that. A bit much considering I already own however many copies of 3 of those games but having them again on Switch is cool. This is certainly the most varied one of the collections has been in a while.

EDIT: I hope they do a Volume 2 this time around and put The Outfoxies on it.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 13, 2017

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Allen Wren posted:

Did someone mention to Stallone guy that there was an arcade light gun Rambo game a few years back? I was kind of skimming the posts as I caught up.

It's been ported to Steam, as well.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

END ME SCOOB posted:

It's been ported to Steam, as well.

That's a unrelated, considerably worse, light gun Rambo game.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
You sure? It looks identical to the machine at the bar next door to my work.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The Sega Rambo arcade game is a Ghost Squad conversion, while the Steam one seems to have been made entirely just to sell on Steam.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

Anybody else like to play both players at the same time when they play LA Machineguns? Its like the only light gun game where that's practical.

House of the Dead: Overkill actually has a dual-wielding mode you can unlock.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Elliotw2 posted:

The Sega Rambo arcade game is a Ghost Squad conversion, while the Steam one seems to have been made entirely just to sell on Steam.

Huh. I'll toss a credit in tomorrow and give it a spin, then, I thought it was the same as the thing someone gifted me a while back.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I've never played the Sega arcade Rambo but I'm going to say it owns because they got Hiroshi Fujioka to do a photo shoot for it.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

House of the Dead: Overkill actually has a dual-wielding mode you can unlock.

I used to duel wield on house of the dead 2(maybe3?) At Ameristar in STL. It was badass with the shotguns. And something to do while the DDR Extreme was full up.

As for games that scared me. I have only jumped at one game. Doom 2. The secret level that was just a big room with enemies(level 32 I think) and once you go halfway a cyber demon pops out. One of the first times I was playing it at a friends house late one night, and killed everything but the cyber demon. Then tab into the room with commander Keens to catch my breath. Walked back to the door, and BAM! ROCKET TO THE FACE! and just that demon standing there.

Also Silent Hill was loving creepy the first time I played it after a college party in some strangers basement with a sliding glass door.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Dual wielding in a pistols game is an inferior tactic to aiming the gun with your offhand, shoving your dominant hand's index finger on the trigger, and firing shots off rapidly by making a jerking off motion

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
The first Revenge of Shinobi revision may count for Rambo as well as Spiderman, Godzilla, Batman..

https://tcrf.net/The_Revenge_of_Shinobi_(Genesis)

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I do this with House of the Dead 1. There's also a Nintendo rhythm gun game (that I don't know the name of because the marquee is japanese) that I do this in on lower difficulties, but I think it's an actual mode. I'm not sure though (again, it's all in japanese).

Edit: this is the game

I actually don't think Nintendo made it, it just has a bunch of Nintendo songs in it.

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 13, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That's Music GunGun! by Taito, it's gotta be at least five years old at this point. I had no idea it had Nintendo tunes - I know some of the recent Taiko games have had a few, I guess that's the connection.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I used to dual wield the Terminator 2 cabinets. Good fun but you'd have to let go of a trigger now and then to hit the grenade buttons.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's a PVM-14M4U that's currently at 100 (+85 in shipping) on eBay.

Good deal? Bad deal? Indifferent deal?

There are also a handful of 20M2MDUs within 100-150 miles for $400ish...

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Phone posted:

There's a PVM-14M4U that's currently at 100 (+85 in shipping) on eBay.

Good deal? Bad deal? Indifferent deal?

There are also a handful of 20M2MDUs within 100-150 miles for $400ish...

I would recommend trying to find one you can pick up.

Are you anywhere close to mid Michigan? I have a couple CRTs that need to go!

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That's Music GunGun! by Taito, it's gotta be at least five years old at this point. I had no idea it had Nintendo tunes - I know some of the recent Taiko games have had a few, I guess that's the connection.

Yeah it starts selection on a couple of Nintendo medleys like mario, zelda, etc. Who needs that when you can just jump straight to Cruel Angel Thesis though :angel: :black101:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

CRAYON posted:

I would recommend trying to find one you can pick up.

Are you anywhere close to mid Michigan? I have a couple CRTs that need to go!

Raleigh, NC unfortunately.

There's a lovely looking 20MDU closer than the one in VA, but 2000 vs December 2002 manufacture date. Also the guy with the crappy looking one has had it on CL for a while with no bites.

Link to the one I'm eyeing: http://m.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Trinitron-PVM-20M2MDU-Professional-CRT-Color-Video-Monitor-20-/311842128914

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Zaphod42 posted:

I used to play House of the Dead 2 like that in the arcade and always got a lot further. It was possible, if not significantly harder, to beat the first boss just by blasting away at the armor that way.

Edit: looks like I'm nowhere near alone in this. :)

• Locked thread