Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Topolino posted:

I think that for streaming it is fine, but obviously you will get better video quality from upscaling RGB trough the Framemeister. The same applies while capturing video to upload, with the added detail that the Framemeister will save you a lot of time as correctly upscaling 240p video to HD on your own can be time consuming and may requiere that you learn to use tools like Avisynth to properly deinterlace and upscale the video to HD. I mean, the Elgato can capture nice looking video on it's own, and you may find that you do not need to alter the video quality, but you can also get better results by tinkering with the resultant videos (HD stuff is fine without needing any modification).

I have not used the Elgato to stream S-Video stuff, only to capture to later edit in Premiere. If you are going to use the N64, or anything that outputs 240p, it will probably be best that you also include a CRT TV and a S-Video booster/splitter in your setup. The Elgato will attempt to send the 240p signal to your TV trough HDMI, so you can play in real time while the video is being recorded with a signficant delay in your computer, but it is possible that your TV might not accept this video signal trough HDMI or frequently black out during gameplay (this happened with an older Sony Bravia and a newer LG). In my setup, I connect the Saturn trough S-Video to the booster/splitter, then from the splitter one cable to the CRT and another to the Elgato.

Elgato includes it's own PS3 component cable that connects directly from the console to the device. It cannot capture video trough HDMI from the PS3. The benefit of recording PSOne content from the PS3 is that it will be nicely upscaled to High Definition, so you do not have to do anything for it to look as good as it can get. Please keep in mind that the Elgato cannot capture 240p content from component cables, only from composite and S-Video, so using the PS2 with the component cable will not work. Also, the S-Video cable for Elgato is sold separately (or at least that was my case a few years back).

Again, the Framemeister (or any other similar alternative device) is not necessary, and it is a very expensive solution, between the device and the necessary cables. It really depends on the video quality you want. The Retron may be the easiest route. It's going to depend on how the video quality feels to you.

Streaming S-Video stuff works/looks perfectly fine. I have used mine to stream SNES and Saturn stuff and it looks great on stream. I am sure RGB would be ever so slightly better but with the compression put on the video the improvement would be ever so slight.

I will second your warning about 240p signals with it. Check if your TV can handle what you want to play with the pass through. If it works, it makes things really easy. If it doesn't you will be having to do a split to a CRT and that can be more a hassle when you just want to do a quick thing for awhile.

I have to say the Elgato is a pretty impressive little piece of hardware and have been nothing but impressed with it since I got it. My only complaint is they recently added some weird audio thing to their drivers which I don't want/need. I have to do some work to remove all that nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

fishmech posted:

The "Harmony 2"/Concerto is soon going to be in wide availability for the 7800 and is your only other option other than the long discontinued Cuttle Cart 2 - some people already have early units.

YMMV but I thought I should mention that I got an early Concerto and a 7800 and spent a weekend playing the entire library, and...there's basically nothing there for me. The only good games are arcade ports that you should really just play on MAME instead, and the small handful of original games is occasionally interesting but never good, and mostly feel like halfhearted attempts to make games that are like NES games. I ended up selling the cartridge to an excited guy in Canada, and I *never* sell flash carts. But the library was so devoid of anything I wanted to actually play that I felt like I was wasting space having that stuff in my house.

My favorite game, which I'm mocked for, is Super Skateboardin' - it's like if Pitfall's difficulty was cut in half and Pitfall Harry was on a skateboard. I solved it in about two hours and had a nice time, and will probably never play it again.

Djarum posted:

I have to say the Elgato is a pretty impressive little piece of hardware and have been nothing but impressed with it since I got it. My only complaint is they recently added some weird audio thing to their drivers which I don't want/need. I have to do some work to remove all that nightmare.

I replaced my Elgato with an internal Micomsoft card and never looked back. Elgato is okay, but it compresses the heck out of your video, and sometimes does strange things. Like, when we streamed Raw Danger, the audio (even from our microphone) would cut out for about 1-2 seconds whenever the screen went completely black.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

TheRedEye posted:

I replaced my Elgato with an internal Micomsoft card and never looked back. Elgato is okay, but it compresses the heck out of your video, and sometimes does strange things. Like, when we streamed Raw Danger, the audio (even from our microphone) would cut out for about 1-2 seconds whenever the screen went completely black.

If I were doing more streaming regularly I'd probably go for a Micomsoft, although does it still have that weird CPU bug? That was what kept me away originally.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

al-azad posted:

Anybody know the name of the song that plays at the beginning of Zoo Keeper? It's really common in old cartoons.

You might recognize it most from Disney's Fantasia – The Sorcerer's Apprentice, by Paul Abraham Dukas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wneUNq_Ndbw

Also, the beginning fanfare for Mario Bros. is Mozart's Eine kleine Nachtmusik.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 3, 2016

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

MrLonghair posted:

I worry about heat and that Duo, a friends unit keeps getting hot to the touch sitting openly but he does give it 6+ hour sessions for streams after all.

Stacking a console atop a TV or another console is barbaric. Let the poor thing have its space!

TheRedEye posted:

My favorite game, which I'm mocked for, is Super Skateboardin' - it's like if Pitfall's difficulty was cut in half and Pitfall Harry was on a skateboard. I solved it in about two hours and had a nice time, and will probably never play it again.

I always like it when people say they "solved" a game instead of "finishing" it. It's quaint and amusing, as though they figured out who murdered Bowser or deduced who stole Peter Pepper's retirement money.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
the hell are you goobers on about, I have the tiny-rear end CRT on top of a monitor stand and I slide the Duo back under it for storage so I can have a desk

like I don't know how to take care of a collection I've been building my entire life :colbert: get the gently caress out, son

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

I always like it when people say they "solved" a game instead of "finishing" it. It's quaint and amusing, as though they figured out who murdered Bowser or deduced who stole Peter Pepper's retirement money.

"Solved" actually has a crazier definition as far as games are concerned, at least turn-based two-player games https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solved_game

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Kid Fenris posted:

It applies to this game though, it is one puzzle that you solve, which is "how do you turn off all of the electricity in this building?" After that all you can really do is do it faster.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TheRedEye posted:

YMMV but I thought I should mention that I got an early Concerto and a 7800 and spent a weekend playing the entire library, and...there's basically nothing there for me. The only good games are arcade ports that you should really just play on MAME instead, and the small handful of original games is occasionally interesting but never good, and mostly feel like halfhearted attempts to make games that are like NES games. I ended up selling the cartridge to an excited guy in Canada, and I *never* sell flash carts. But the library was so devoid of anything I wanted to actually play that I felt like I was wasting space having that stuff in my house.

Oh yeah the 7800 library is dire, but I figured I might as well mention it since I'd already bothered to mention one for the 5200 (which didn't really have a great library either).

What's really interesting is that two different people are working on making Atari Lynx flashcarts, which is quite the feat considering the weird way it loads games and the thinness of official cartridges.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kid Fenris posted:

Stacking a console atop a TV or another console is barbaric. Let the poor thing have its space!

What if the console is an Xbox, the only console that doubles as a major support structure?

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
The 7800 is the Uncanny Valley of game systems. It's got arcade and computer ports that are close to the originals but just different enough to feel... WRONG. Like the earlier consoles are weak enough that even ports had to be different and thus have a point, and newer ones could do the classics perfect. 7800 is in some middle ground. And unlike the NES and SMS Tramiel era Atari wasn't about to spend proper money on cart chips or really give developers the time and money they needed to make the hardware shine. ( And it can apparently push the gently caress out of sprites compared to the other two.)

This Atari would repeat these mistakes with the Jaguar. Decent hardware but devs didn't get the time and money to make you see what the machine could do. Don't believe me? Compare 1983 Famicom titles to say.. 1990 ones. Some chips and money/dev experience can do some stuff.

What I don't get in the same vein is the Colecovision Super Game Module. Go through the effort of buying one when they are put up for pre order to... Pay 50 bucks for MSX ports and NES games, the latter of which obviously are cut down. ( And you know, dubious IP legalities. To have single colored alien Galaga. IDGI.)

Apparently similar is in the works for the Intellivision. Hopefully it's at least ORIGINAL content.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

d0s posted:

hey if any of you stream retro games post your twitch links or whatever and I'll put a section in the op for people to watch you play video games

http://twitch.tv/digitaldiatribe

Edit: Wow, somehow I missed 7 other pages in this thread.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 3, 2016

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

No hole drilling needed. There is already a hole there; just poke a tiny screwdriver through the back label. I guess Nintendo wanted to be able to adjust the pot with the screen on as well. I remember this because back in 2001 everyone on the internet thought they discovered a hidden secret to making the screen brighter.

Is that pot on the gba sp 101 as well?

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is that pot on the gba sp 101 as well?

It's under the battery on the GBA SP, which makes adjusting it harder.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
On Super FX carts, the cartridge shells have space for two metal clips by the additional PCB edge connectors the Super FX chip uses. My copy of Yoshi's Island has only one metal clip in it, is that normal or should there be metal springs on both sides of the cartridge?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

No hole drilling needed. There is already a hole there; just poke a tiny screwdriver through the back label. I guess Nintendo wanted to be able to adjust the pot with the screen on as well. I remember this because back in 2001 everyone on the internet thought they discovered a hidden secret to making the screen brighter.

Thanks! I adjusted that and the interference lines cleared right up. I also went back and soldered the ribbon cable lead to get a bit more brightness out of it. Last night the brightness looked fine, but I tried playing it with more ambient light today and it was pretty dim. Now I have the fabled "perfect GBA".

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Instant Sunrise posted:

On Super FX carts, the cartridge shells have space for two metal clips by the additional PCB edge connectors the Super FX chip uses. My copy of Yoshi's Island has only one metal clip in it, is that normal or should there be metal springs on both sides of the cartridge?

normal, stop staring at it

vv na they always have grooves for two but come with one, v. standard, no worries

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 4, 2016

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Caitlin posted:

normal, stop staring at it

okay good. i had taken my copy apart to clean it and i thought i had lost one of the metal clips.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

wa27 posted:

Thanks! I adjusted that and the interference lines cleared right up. I also went back and soldered the ribbon cable lead to get a bit more brightness out of it. Last night the brightness looked fine, but I tried playing it with more ambient light today and it was pretty dim. Now I have the fabled "perfect GBA".

Should solder in a switch to be able to go between low and high brightness (as long as the pot doesn't need to be adjusted for each brightness level).

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I need to catch up with this thread really bad [IE read the last 10k posts in the last thread, and what there is of this one], I've been neglecting it for a long time, I am a bad retro dork

That said, I bought a second Vita TV since the Vita has now been broken wide open, because why not? They're only like $40 on Amazon. I hope the emulators somehow get a way to load ROMs via network, because I already own a 64 and 32 gig card and I'm already not too proud of that fact, loving Sony

Seems like SNES runs a little better in Vita mode as opposed to running via PSP mode before, but I haven't tried too much yet. I fired up SimCity, and just kinda got sucked into that for the rest of the evening. SNES SimCity is the best thing.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I drunk bought a Sega ST-V as-is board because hey why not ST-V SOUNDS COOL! $50 SHIPPED? YEE YEE!!

Well it shows a display things are coming up THRILHO--

:saddowns:

I tried a quick re-flow in the oven and it didn't fix it. I may try re-flowing manually with an iron but I don't know if I care enough. There really isn't much on ST-V to worth saving this over just using my Sega Saturn. Probably the worst drunk-purchase to date.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Is there any mod to isolate the original GBA's audio circuit from interference yet? I know the GBA doesn't have great audio to begin with, but the background static and noise is pretty distracting when using headphones. (Also the beeps when the EZ Flash IV loads up a rom).

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Oh also I've been binging on AGDQ/SGDQ videos for weeks now and holy living gently caress it's amazing, I'm usually not into speedruns like this but there's something about it being done live and nerds cheering it on, it's so great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cJtMgQm1eM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLsZix7bloY

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So, I have a question that by all rights should be easily googlable but just seems to have went entirely un-noticed by the world at large.

I got a boxed Star Voyager, the Atari one, not the NES one, the other week and initially didn't care because I already have one. But upon closer inspection what I already had was "new Star Voyager" and this one is just "Star Voyager." The "new" one has 710102-1 Rev. B on the box along with the new so its obviously a revision (and if Atari game pictures are anything to go by the more popular of the two versions.) But why is there nothing about this online? Atari Age's database has nothing on it. The VGCollect database has nothing on it (two Star Voyager listings but both appear to be new Star Voyager.) It can't be a reproduction because Star Voyager is worth like four bucks. This is an extremely common game and by a company that, by early eighties standards, was quite good. Is it just not worth talking about or do I have something unique here?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Code Jockey posted:

Oh also I've been binging on AGDQ/SGDQ videos for weeks now and holy living gently caress it's amazing, I'm usually not into speedruns like this but there's something about it being done live and nerds cheering it on, it's so great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cJtMgQm1eM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLsZix7bloY

You should check out the DKC Tropical Freeze race done at the most recent SGDQ, it's fantastic. It's hardly a retro game, but it was still a really good GDQ block.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uyyRTCBE0c

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Caitlin posted:

the hell are you goobers on about, I have the tiny-rear end CRT on top of a monitor stand and I slide the Duo back under it for storage so I can have a desk

like I don't know how to take care of a collection I've been building my entire life :colbert: get the gently caress out, son

I can hear your NES gasping for breath from here. It fought off the Sega hordes for years only to come to this, playing footstool to a Dreamcast.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So it appears st-v requires 7a on the 5v line :stare:

Idk if I want to invest in that kind of required power supply

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

flyboi posted:

Congratulations on finding a new and exciting way to electrocute yourself, but you're a few days late on that.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

flyboi posted:

that's like any arcade power supply https://na.suzohapp.com/products/power_supplies/80-0064-00

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rig up a PC power supply?

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
I doubt it actually requires that much but yeah, any JAMMA power supply would do that. I think arcade boards exaggarate a bit on required amperage, the Neo Geo MV-1F supposedly needs 5 amps but you only really need like 2.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Rig up a PC power supply?

this is a bad idea for arcade stuff because different boards draw different amounts of power so you need a pot on the +5v line to compensate, every arcade PSU has this

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I found a led inverter I could use but honestly I'm not sure I care. At this point it's just verifying the board works. It was a drunk buy because I always wanted one but the games I would play are also on Saturn which I have and is modded.

Not really sure it's worth the $20 for that and I am NOT getting into arcade boards as that's more :retrogames: than my neo geo collection and I'm almost ashamed to admit how much I spent to get my collection built on that.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The ST-V flashcart is like $200 which really requires a fan of its library http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=711
I can stretch my really-want list to Baku Baku Animal, Cotton Boomerang, Cotton 2, Radiant Silvergun, Shienryu and Terra Diver.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Right but all of those can be played on Saturn so it's just throwing money into a bonfire for minimal load times. For me that's not really my bag considering the difference between Saturn and ST-V is super minimal.

An interesting thing though is the ST-V supports MIDI and SCSI but not sure what they were used for. Probably one of the bad redemption games.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

This isn't especially relevant to anything but this is your friendly reminder that the Sega Genesis Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie soundtrack is fuckin' real good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvGv-hm45GU&t=596s

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I got a question on the flash carts. I see some entries on Amazon and ebay for "Chinese Edition" of the Everdrives. Are these bootlegs, or just another name for the devices since they come from China?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Chinese Edition is shorthand for Bootleg As gently caress for pretty much every product.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Rirse posted:

I got a question on the flash carts. I see some entries on Amazon and ebay for "Chinese Edition" of the Everdrives. Are these bootlegs, or just another name for the devices since they come from China?

Actual Everdrives come from the Ukraine, not China. Bootlegs also have the added bonus of not being able to update the firmware on it without buying a new one.

Support Krikzz, he does good work: https://krikzz.com/store/

Or from here if you want to buy from a US store: http://www.stoneagegamer.com/flash-carts/nes/cartridges/

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Monitor Burn posted:

Actual Everdrives come from the Ukraine, not China. Bootlegs also have the added bonus of not being able to update the firmware on it without buying a new one.

Support Krikzz, he does good work: https://krikzz.com/store/

How long does it take to get a cart from him anyway? That the main reason I was looking at these.

• Locked thread