Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Heran Bago posted:

Is there a definitive 'best' N64 Bomberman for single player?

It's actually pretty divisive, but I have a real soft spot for Bomberman Hero. It's got a really unique and earwormy soundtrack, too.

Honestly all of the N64 Bomberman games are really solid single player, though I never played the Japan-only one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro

Phantasium posted:

I don't think I've ever listened to other music in lieu of game music but I also didn't really know what genre of music I liked outside of "game soundtracks" until like a few years ago so I'm clearly weird in other ways.

Hey, so like are you literally me? Because I've always been weird like this too. I have fond memories of leaving Mega Man 3 idle in Spark Man's stage just so I could listen to the music as a kid. And when Napster first became a thing, I immediately started slowly downloading Chrono Trigger's OST track by track.

My music collection is still roughly 90% game soundtracks, which always leads to a fun conversation when someone asks what you're listening to and you have Nier's unique vocals blasting in your ear. :v:

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro
I'm gonna say Vectorman 2.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro
So what's the best video quality I can get out of an Atari Jaguar without modding it?

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro

Random Stranger posted:

Step 1: find a dumpster.

Knew that was coming. :v: I have a soft spot for the thing, everything about it is just so lovably inept.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

That big and exposed edge connector in the back of the console is actually an AV port. Going by the pinout below and a quick search on video cables for the Jaguar, you can potentially get composite, S-Video, and RGB out of it natively. Ebay appears to have the former (though their quality is unknown), and Retrogamingcables.co.uk appears to have a few versions of an RGB SCART cable for it.

http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/jagav.htm
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&search=jaguar

Thanks for the rundown! I'm gonna out myself as a simpleton here, but the RGB stuff confuses the hell out of me. Right now I'm using an HDTV for everything, so I don't know if that's even a relevant option for me anyway.

The majority of my stuff is hooked up via composite, but I know someone linked a good S-video to HDMI converter earlier in the thread. So I might try taking the plunge on that.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro

Zaphod42 posted:

Composite is awful :(

North American TVs don't have SCART or RGB, so your options for the most part involve an upscaler regardless. Some TVs take S-video and/or component, which are way better than composite, but others don't take them natively and would require a scaler too.

The way to go if you can afford it is definitely the XRGB Mini Framemeister scaler, which is just the best there is by a mile and everybody in this thread will tell you so. Get one and you can plug every console into it and then feed them all from that to any HDTV through normal HDMI. It really is *the* solution. It'll accept s-video or RGB or whatever you've got, and then output perfect HDMI. And it has options for all kinds of fancy effects and scanlines and stuff if you like those things.

However, They cost $400+. So if you can't swing that, the cheap $40 scaler I linked before will do the job if you can get an s-video cable, and s-video looks much better than composite. There are some issues with the cheap scalers though, lots of people on amazon post that they got a bad unit and had to RMA it, and I myself went through a few brands that had horrible white smearing before I found that one that worked for me. But if you can't afford a framemeister, that's generally the way to go. Just want to really warn you going in, your mileage may vary with these things. Seems like pretty cheap components.

All that said, if your TV does have the component video inputs (red, green, blue sockets; NOT RGB but YPbPr, which is what we get in NA) then that's basically as good as RGB and would let you skip buying an upscaler completely. But you gotta have a console that can do it, and the right cables.

My PS2 is hooked up directly to my TV through component and it looks fantastic. My SNES and N64 go through S-video to the upscaler, and come out looking very good, but there is a little bit of interference that wouldn't be there if I had a Framemeister.

I'm currently forced to hook up my NES through composite and so its going to be the next thing I look into improving, because man composite sucks.

Thanks for all this!

I've kept up with this thread so I've heard all about the glory of the Framemeister, but as of right now that's definitely out of my price range.

I'm gonna give the S-Video + Upscaler combo a shot next paycheck. I actually have a set of Dreamcast S-Video cables laying around already, so I'll grab the SNES/N64 ones and hopefully Jaguar and I'll be in a good spot.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro

Rock My Socks! posted:

I'm taking a 12 hour flight next Wednesday, what are some good cheap gameboy games to bring? I found my old GB pocket but don't have any games. And my 3ds lasts like 15 minutes between charges.

Heiankyo Alien is a cool little game and always seems to be super cheap. Same thing with Kwirk.

Wario Land, Donkey Kong and Super Mario Land 2 are essentials that are still surprisingly reasonable in price.

Adventure Island II (Solid port of NES Adventure Island 3), Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters, and Mole Mania are personal favorites of mine.

Honestly, at a glance most original Game Boy games seem to be pretty immune to the effects of the Retro Gaming bubble, with some notable exceptions like the Mega Man games and Kid Dracula.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro

Random Stranger posted:

Has anyone ever said, "Oh yes, the iPhone port is the way to play that game!"

Think about that.

Counterpoint: As far as I know, the iOS version of the original Shin Megami Tensei is the only way to play it in English with all the extra features and improvements from the GBA version.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro
So I’ve recently been having some problems with the screen on my PSP-2000. There are two light vertical lines showing up on the left-hand side of the screen. They’re usually not too visible during gameplay, but for some reason, if I play for a bit, a weird blurring “double vision” effect begins to occur on those parts of the screen. For example, if I’m doing 8 damage to an enemy in Final Fantasy, it’ll look like 88.

I couldn’t get a good picture of my screen, but it basically looks like this:

So I’m assuming the screen’s dying, right? Any weird tricks to fix it? Is it worth repairing or should I just buy a new one? While we’re at it if I end up needing to replace it is the 3000 noticeably better in any way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro
Alrighty, so based on no one mentioning it I'm going to assume it's not worth trying to fix the screen on a PSP. The Go is tempting, but I have a pretty decent collection of UMD's because I am a rube. So I'll probably just use this as an excuse to upgrade to a PSP-3000. Thanks for the help!

• Locked thread