Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Posting in here as the guy who made the crazy video input table in the OP! PM me if you feel something significant is missing!

Meanwhile, to start this thread off right, for once, RGB on a CRT PVM supremacy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rirse posted:

I was going to see about buying another CRT, as while I like the one I have...it only has RF so it won't ever have that amazing picture. But all the Goodwills and Savation Army's near my house got rid of all their CRTs. That blows since I rather avoid Craiglist at all cost.

Besides what other people have suggested, you could also try seeing if there are any local pickup options on Ebay (which is kind of Craigslist-y, I guess, but maybe the people offering stuff are a step above CL's sketchy userbase). If you have any colleges or universities near where you live, you might see if they have a surplus property department that does public sales. I also know that I saw a fair amount of CRTs at the end of the term near the student housing dumpsters of my university, when students move out due to graduation or for whatever reason.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Miles McCloud posted:

Radical Game Gear project stuff

loving
AWESOME

Nice work, man! An obvious labor of love, not just for the work involved in adding the Game Gear stuff, but also for adding the S-Video output and RGB stuff, modding the controllers, and changing up the dang ol' console logo. Five thumbs up!

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Patter Song posted:

Those SNES games all complete in box...what the hell.

Stunt Race FX is the most hilarious thing. Prepare for blazing single-digit FPS.

Shyduck should talk to Monitor Burn about converting that Stunt Race into a Starfox 2 cart or something, though it might still be better left alone CIB.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It's really not that long a wait, unless you're actually jonesing for retro gaming action every day all day (and LOL, who are we kidding?).

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
THE BUBBLE WRAP ADDS EXTRA RGB COLOR DEPTH!

Elliotw2 posted:

You can get a good Model 1 or 2 Genesis and a big box of games for like $60 or less still, so there's not really a wrong answer for getting into it. The Genesis is too mainstream to really get jacked up by actual collectors and not Nintendo enough to really get wrapped up in the bubble, so it's easy and fun to collect carts as well.

The Sega CD is loving expensive right now though.

There really is no excuse for anyone in this thread to not have a Sega Genesis, they're so drat cheap and the other half of the 16-bit era :cmon: .

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

azurite posted:

*chokes on soda*

Surely you mean the first and most prominent half.

Crossed wires? Yes, the TG16 was a thing, but let's face it, it was never a contender compared to the neck-and-neck rivalry of the Genesis and SNES. People can be forgiven for not getting on the TG16 wagon, but there's no excuse to not get on the Genesis one.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

horchata posted:

How difficult is it to RGB mod a SNES mini without prior soldering experience? Also, probably a stupid question, but do framemeisters ever go on sale or am I stuck paying 340~ for one?

Instant Sunrise is probably right about it being difficult. If you don't have soldering experience (or a soldering iron, for that matter), check out Monitor Burn's modding service thread in SA-Mart if you want to get it modded.

As for the XRGB, I don't think it ever really goes on sale. A big price factor is the exchange rate of the Japanese yen to the US dollar (or whatever currenct); the dollar ranges in value from 100 to 120 yen, so when the exchange rate is in the dollar's favor ($1:120 yen), you're essentially looking at a ~20% price reduction. When it's not, which is the current case, then you're paying a lot more.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Instant Sunrise posted:

Is there a decent consensus about which model of Genesis sounds the best or is it a subjective "the Genesis model I had as a kid is the best sounding one?"

Check out these "Streets Of Rage 2" sound comparisons, see which one speaks to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiu8wDLV_9g

EDIT: Also, Sonic 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjCOlnGpi1g

I've never been a fan of the second model consoles, because they feel cheap as hell and like Sega was cutting corners (which makes sense, since they came out near the end of the Genesis' life cycle). I'd just look for a Model 1 with the "High Definition Graphics" logo and call it good, if only because it was probably what a lot of developers were working with.

Kthulhu5000 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 5, 2016

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Risky posted:

So I found a 1 chip super famicom and I have an s-video cable but my flat screen doesn't have s-video inputs. It only has HDMI and component. What are my options to get it to work on it?

Your best option would be to get a SCART RGB-to-HDMI converter. This could be one of the cheap ones on Amazon (no idea which, if any, are worth a drat), which may be kind of slow in their conversion and introduce input lag. Or you could go whole hog for the XRGB Framemeister. Keep in mind that you would also need to get a SCART cable (or cables, if you want to hook up other consoles), either way.

Don't bother with trying to convert anything to component video on a flat screen LCD; odds are, your TV won't pick up an analog signal that is less than 480p.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Instant Sunrise posted:

You can also pick up S-Video to HDMI scalers that are a decent and inexpensive middle ground between composite and going full hog with RGB SCART.

True, but it's still not a complete solution (at least, for consoles that are unmodded). But I think RGB still has more utility, converter-wise, than S-Video.
  • Between the two main 8-bit systems (NES and SMS), only the SMS has any advanced video output, and that's RGB. The NES does composite video at best, so it's a moot point anyway.
  • Between the SNES and Genesis, only the SNES does S-Video; but both do RGB (of course, the SNES Mini tops out at composite; Nintendo!). Neither console uses standard, off-the-shelf cables either, and Nintendo-compatible multi-out S-Video cables are kind of a crapshoot in terms of quality these days.
  • The Sega Saturn and Sony Playstation both output S-Video and RGB. Might as well go for the most quality if you're doing an analog-to-digital conversion with scaling and have to buy proprietary cables.
  • The N64 and Gamecube are where things get problematic, because the N64 does not readily support RGB output, and neither does the Gamecube (without the expensive component cable and some mods to it). So S-Video is it.

Unless Risky gets both (or an all-in-one format converter like the XRGB or some offbeat video processor), there will be tradeoffs. But I think I've laid out the versatility argument for going with RGB pretty clearly.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rirse posted:

Actually this is a silly question, but is there a good guide to tune the picture settings on a crt? I know there is a ton of guides for LCD tvs, but can't think of any for a CRT these days.

Find the model number and try a Google search for "brand model service mode" (or manual), if it's a CRT TV. This is mostly for screen geometry and the like. Most CRT monitors should have a menu that allows you to adjust the horizontal and vertical sizing and all of that.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FireMrshlBill posted:

Shouldn't fry anything, but I'd just pay the extra $5. Its a one time purchase and I'd rather have official than no name brand cables with questionable quality that may stop working down the line.

Though, I'd go for s-video if possible, though its basically going for third party at that point. Just make sure to get a set with good reviews. Particularly stick to ones with only s-video and no composite to guarantee they don't cheap out and just run composite to the s-video connector.

Agreed. OEM cables aren't that expensive, and are probably more physically robust (if nothing else) than third-party cables.

If Grizzled Patriarch has a display with S-Video, they could also try out this cable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-best-S-video-cable-for-Nintendo-SNES-N64-Game-Cube-Svideo-SVHS-1-8m-6ft-/131782319627

And it appears there are also some official Nintendo S-Video cables on Ebay, too, though they're not exactly cheap and some are sold from Japan (so waiting for shipping).

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

bossy lady posted:

Has anyone used this scart switch from Micomsoft?

https://solarisjapan.com/products/selecty-21-rgb-selector

"RGB-Type: JP-21 pin"

It's not a SCART switch, per se, it's a JP-21 switch (which is wired differently). I can't speak to its quality, but to use it you would have to either get JP-21 cables for your consoles or get some cable convertors.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ah yes, the Yamatoku specials...some of the grodiest console hardware on Ebay, bar none.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Spoderman posted:

Are PVM-style LCDs (specifically the Panasonic BT LH1700WP or its ilk) good for hooking up older consoles to, or are they a sorry substitute for a CRT equivalent?

Hmm...it's hard to say. Most people get PVMs because they're CRTs, have RGB inputs, and thus offer better picture quality (when using RGB) compared to a regular CRT TV. I'm not recalling seeing anyone in the previous incarnations of this thread who has used a professional LCD, but maybe they'll pip in if they have. I don't have proof, but I've heard that there were some teething issues by Sony and the like in making LCD monitors for professional use that could get up to the old CRT spec, so an older pro-grade LCD might be kind of crap compared to a CRT. Today? Perhaps not, though today's pro-grade LCDs probably don't even bother with old signals and input formats, either...

That said, looking through the user's guide, I'd probably be kind of leery of it. Besides the usual older LCD hazards (washed out screen, slow response, scaling and processing-induced issues and delays, and so on), I suspect it would be more inclined to treat the "240p" signal from an older console as a 480i (interlaced) one, which can introduce flicker. And if the RGB mode doesn't support a 15khz horizontal signal (it probably does, though), it's going to be no good.

But if you can get one for free or really cheap (or feel like being one of the first to break new ground and potentially walk the pain trail), I know that I would be interested in the results. Otherwise, if it came down to it, I'd just try to get a CRT PVM/BVM for the same amount of money.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Drone posted:

And it's already gone, unless the hosting died from the traffic. :(

Edit: ah no it's just the link at Kotaku that sucks. I just started the download though and it's an .msi.... is that in any way legit?

http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/understanding-difference-between-exe-and-msi

It should be, but as with anything you download from the Internet that involves executing code or invoking the OS, it's a matter of trust.

EDIT: Like, it appears the .MSI handles where the files for the game are copied and it makes the Registry entries and all that (so it's not necessarily harmful in and of itself), but ultimately the game executable could be clean or it could be a payload of nasty crap.

Kthulhu5000 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 10, 2016

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The guy doing the voice sounds like he's going to end the recording with a hammer-click and a gunshot to escape the pain :stare:

If you play "Suicide Is Painless" with it, it's the saddest thing in the world :smith: . It's like you can hear the smell of a Florida motel room that's had a few too many decades of cigarette smoke, dust, broken dreams, and the stench of sweaty desperation imbued into its autumn leaf pattern bed covers from the 1970s.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

wa27 posted:

Sorry but I totally stole your idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wDVCzuwlVk

No apologies necessary for something SO GODDAMN AMAZING.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FireMrshlBill posted:

I am going to pick up a 14" Sony Trinitron PVM-14M4U later this evening (for $40). I already have the SCART cable that came with my SNES I got from Monitor Burn, so I'll just need to get the SCART to BNC adapter. Should I just go with RetroGamingCables or is there an option here in the States?

Also, for Playstation consoles, just getting composite to BNC connectors works if I have a component/composite cable and just use the composite video for sync? Honestly, it will probably just get used with my Nintendo consoles 90% of the time anyway.

Guess I will need to get the NES and N64 RGB mods now...

Yeah, getting composite (well, RCA) to BNC adapters should work. Your PVM should have a dedicated "Video" input (with BNC plugs), which you would use for composite stuff, and the RGB inputs should do double-duty for component so long as you set your PVM to use component/YPbPr mode instead of RGB. Then your green input will receive the sync information that the component video format uses on that color channel, instead of expecting straight up RGB + sync.

As for SCART-to-BNC adapters, the one from RGC would probably be worth getting, or you can try to track down a guy named "daskrabs" at the Shmups or Nintendo Age forums and see if he has any for sale. Don't bother with Ebay if the seller has a name like "wookieewin" or something; I got my first adapter from them and it was dog poo poo, because they didn't do proper grounding on it.

It's been a while since I've received anything from the UK, but I recall being impressed at how quickly stuff I've ordered from there in the past has arrived, and I live both an ocean and whole continent across from it on the west coast of the US. If you live on the Atlantic side of the country, you could probably get an adapter from them pretty quick.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FireMrshlBill posted:

Just going to order from RGC and wait it out. I am getting this cable to go from my SNES SCART cable to BNC. I was wondering, for playstation I thought I needed a SCART cable with CSYNC and can use the same SCART to BNC adapter above, however on RGC there is no CSYNC drop down option on their web page, only the Luma, even though they say there are options for both. Do they not sell CSYNC anymore or if I don't select luma in the drop down, will they send me one for CSYNC? I fig I'd ask here in case anyone knows and would be quicker than contacting them.

Also, I want to split my signal coming out of my S-video switch box to go to my CRT TV and my PVM, you think this would be decent quality (no signal degradation)? Since it splits to 4 outputs, it would also allow me to connect it to my Elgato game capture HD.

My experience with Playstation anything is kind of limited, I hate to say - I've only tried my PS2 with component video out. If they don't make them with CSYNC anymore or have them in immediate stock, you could always drop a line to Retro Console Accessories and look at a custom cable.

For your S-Video question, are you talking about driving two+ displays at the same time, from the same signal? Your PVM should offer the ability to run its S-Video input back out again (I've done it with composite video), if you just wanted to use your PVM and capture device. Otherwise, that Radio Shack device would probably be fine?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

XYZ posted:

The fact that the Play Station was almost a thing makes me wonder what the video game landscape would look like today if it had been released.

It probably would have been the Nintendo equivalent of the Sega CD or 3DO. CD audio (good), lots of storage space (good), but still not enough system horsepower to really do anything useful or radical with it (bad). So maybe it would have gotten a few good exclusives, and a few souped versions of cartridge-only games, and maybe a shitload of FMV games, but not much more that.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mercury Crusader posted:

More interesting though, would Sony have attempted to make their own consoles if the add-on failed to catch on?

They likely still would have. Even if the evidence suggested that the 16-bit consoles were premature in being able to fully utilize the capabilities of CD, that evidence also showed where things could possibly go right (likely with better video hardware, faster CPUs, and more RAM). And Sony still had evidence of the CD-ROM's potential on the PC side of gaming, where the greater hardware specs showed what could be done when developers weren't crunched for processing power and RAM. Sony also had its own publishing division, Sony Imagesoft, that would have given them some insights into what developers were looking for in terms of development potential.

I suspect the prime factor would have been if Nintendo had given strong, early indications in 1993 that they were releasing a next-gen console, and then announced a launch in time period from the middle of 1994 to early 1995. Then Sony would have viewed its console plans as having to be part of a three-way bout between itself and the established players of Nintendo and Sega, which would have been discouraging. Nintendo not having any strong console platform on the immediate horizon (Virtual Boy aside) probably gave Sony the confidence to launch the Playstation.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Elliotw2 posted:

If Sony didn't break into the console game back in 1994, I think the bigger question is who would really push 3D games. Neither the Saturn nor the N64 were particularly good at 3D, and there's good evidence that both were going to be considerably more 2D focused before Sony started throwing around their 3D claims.

The PC Master Race :colbert: . Both the popularity of DOOM (not really 3D, but close enough) and the high profile of Quake would have ignited a lot of scrambling on the console side of things, I suspect, regardless of what Sega and Nintendo's official plans were.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rirse posted:

That's not too bad. Do they all have RGB ports, as the one I am looking at is a 14N1U and I don't see the RGB slot or component slot, just S-Video I am figuring. Maybe that isn't the model I should get then.

Not all PVMs have RGB, even if they are Sony. It's more common (at least, from my Ebay browsing in the past) for non-Sony monitors to be composite-only or just composite/S-Video, but there are Sonys like that, too. A good rule of thumb is that if you don't see a fuckload of BNC connectors (like, more than 3), then you're probably looking at a model that is composite/S-Video at best. Always check the back, regardless, and look for the RGB labeling (preferably with YPbPr labels, also).

That said, Sony's "M" models (ala 14Mwhatever) usually have RGB.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

MrLonghair posted:

I've got a Euro PS3 (stop right there hahaha) with RGB to BNC (retrogamingcables UK with a single sync, passive) and it's cranky when I try to stick it to my PVM which promises 750 lines or more, 1080p no, 1080i sort of resolves but no, 720p no, 576i is ugly, nut 576p while beautiful as hell gives me this:

Which is a game from Japanese PSN most likely running 480p so the peculiar middle is shifted a little to the side compared to 576p and what does that mean? Looking very close it's like a serious scan or sync problem that shifts every other line and extends the image horizontally, none of the settings have helped fix it, switching to SDI or component has not helped either. Do I need some sort of sync-box between PS3 and RGB-BNC cable? Not too expensive?

PS1 on the high res CD player screen is 100% flawless though, click to enlarge to engorge

e: None of what I google up makes sense. Seeing plenty people put PS3s into PVMs no problem even Euro PAL ones but not sure which iterations they've been on unless 480i/576i is what they've all gone on. Doesn't hurt the eyes as much as s-video 576i but I just want the best of it.. oh well

In my experience, few PVMs support 480p and higher progressive scan modes. Are you sure that yours does? It's not impossible, but it is pretty drat uncommon, and I wouldn't particularly bet the house that it does. You appear to have a JVC BM-H1310SU. You can download a user manual here.

I also have a JVC monitor from about the same timeframe, and its manual specifically says that its SDI standard is SMPTE 259M, which tops out of 480i/576i apparently, so I wouldn't be surprised if your display is limited in the same fashion. The PVMs you might see with PS3s and the like hooked up are likely going to be later models like Sony's PVM20L5 or JVC's DT-V series, since those can potentially handle video frequencies more akin to what the PS3 and the like put out, rather than being limited to 1980s/1990s analog formats.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Caitlin posted:

so what you're saying is I can hook up my PS3 to this thing? Hum. I never did try anything newer on it.

but if my 360 wants to play nice imma be playin' some mothafuckin' STGs

Possibly, no guarantees, but the 20L5 can handle 1080i and 720p according to this:

http://www.broadcaststore.com/pdf/model/671080/pvm20l5.pdf

Not sure if it's standard or needs an addin card, but there you have it...

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Ugh. I got to see what a Sega Saturn looks like on a PVM and now I'm seriously considering one even though I have a Framemeister :emo:

Seriously it looked like what I'd imagine a Sega Saturn emulator would look like with a good graphics card. How does it do such magic?

Saturn RGB on a PVM is pretty glorious on my experience, and I know what you mean about the "emulator" look. Getting rid of the artifacting from composite seems to definitely sharpen up the edges of polygons and make it look a lot nicer.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Bonobos posted:

Local CL has this PVM for sale for $50.

Sony PVM-14N5U 14" NTSC Monitor

See here for details --
http://www.broadcaststore.com/pdf/model/17906/pvm20n.pdf

No RGB, guess that makes this a pass? How much should I expect to pay for an RGB model? Guessing CL is still the best outlet for these types of monitors or is there some other place to find one?

Unless you're fine with it cluttering up your house indefinitely, I'd pass if it doesn't have RGB. As I've said before, Craigslist is hit or miss depending on where you live. If you're in southern California or the San Francisco area and are willing to drive, there is probably still enough film, broadcasting, video production, and medical surplus stock out there that you might find some potential options on a semi-regular basis. Up here in the Pacific Northwest? It's *crickets* more or less, barring the rear end in a top hat who tries to get $300 for a 14" display just because "retro games".

I'd say that if you're serious about it, also look on Ebay for any "local pickup" options in your area, or look at having one shipped to you. The cost for a 14", depending on condition and how much the seller cares, could be $100 to $200 for one with RGB. Expect to pay more for a larger screen size, and even more if it's one of the desirable later models like the Sony 14L5 or 20L5.

MrLonghair posted:

S-video is more than good enough for 16bit and earlier, you should already have contacted the seller and struck the deal.

Bzzt. If S-Video is good enough, he might as well get a regular TV with it as an input option and at least have a nice large screen size. The whole point of PVMs, here in the US, is RGB. Bar none, no excuses, no other justification..

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I didn't buy game magazines on the regular back in the day, but I remember grabbing a few from a neighbor's recycle bin in the late 1990s (I think before FF7 came out). I think some of them were indeed Gamefan, and like everyone else, I thought it was a solid magazine. It had a definite voice, unlike Gamepro and the like which were maybe a bit too business-like.

After the new millennium kicked in, though, I think most game magazines basically lost their luster. Between the Internet and a greater consolidation in the industry under EA and the like, the industry niche that magazines served for editorializing, showcasing, and previewing games (big label and otherwise) essentially vanished.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rirse posted:

A shame, but strangely I don't play Link to the Past that much. Think trying to play this awful free MMO that used assets from it really hurt my enjoyment of the game for the longest time. That does sound nice through.

Anyway, now that I am done with getting flash carts for the NES, SNES, N64, and Genesis, I am thinking of getting one for the Turbograhix/PC Engine. OP mentions not buying a Turbographix and just get a PC Engine at this point. Besides having better output for videos, is the console better quality with the PC Engine? I remember getting one for a kid and it breaking within a week so my parents had to return it to Toys R Us and got a SNES instead (which is a blessing in disguise). But due to this, I am worry about fragile the unit can be, especially when you add twenty years to the system.

1. You'd want a PC Engine Core Grafx (so grey, with blue or orange lettering), not the original white one (baller as it may be in appearance). The Core Grafx does composite video output, while the original white one only does RF unless you mod it.
2. I haven't heard of the TG16 being especially failure-prone, but it used a bigger PCB and (from a glance at Google Images) probably has more space to shake and knock poo poo around in. The PC Engine is very small and compact, so it might be more durable in that regard, stepping on it and all that aside.

If you're getting into the PCE/TG16 game, you'll want to consider how badly you want CD games, and when. If you can foresee yourself wanting to play CD games in the immediate future, you might be better off ponying up the money now for a Duo-R system with built-in CD drive. Otherwise, you'd be looking at having to get the "briefcase" CD-ROM interface unit and drive down the road.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

absolutely anything posted:

repros are and always have been loving stupid and gutting real rear end non-broken video games (not matter how bad or prolific) to make some chintzy bootleg garbage should and will be a crime when i become the president

I acquired a Wild Trax SFC cart and transferred it to Monitor Burn so he could make a Starfox 2 repro. And I'd do it again in a heartbeat, so come at me, piggy :colbert: .

Caitlin posted:

Everybody gets mad when I say I think MAME cabs are trash fires but now you think we shouldn't have repros and gut lovely games for it? Hahah. :toot:

I have very few repros, but I don't know how someone (in this hobby) couldn't understand the appeal of a nicely made repro because you just wanted to be able to play a game - it's a visceral nostalgic thing (and also nice shelf candy). I have exactly 3 repros and 2 were gifts, but they were very nice gifts (Sweet Home EN NES cart, Dracula X in a nice english case). The one I bought is the US translation of the Sailor Moon Another Story SNES RPG. Would I invest tons in repros? Heck no, but I still plan to get a Clock Tower EN SNES repro.

I'm not a fan of repros as physical items that I particularly want at this point in time, but I'm conceptually fine with them as long as they are further the hobby (so some translation of a game that was never released in a particular region, or maybe a quite sweet ROM hack). And yeah, I don't get the disdain I'm seeing in this thread, either - oh no, people are gutting overproduced trash games to make something interesting or useful from them! How terrible! All this hullabaloo, as if the fate of such games isn't to languish on store shelves and bulk seller warehouses indefinitely, assuming they aren't outright disposed of as e-waste.

To the whiners and complainers, I say this: Go knock yourselves out buying these "perfectly good and functional" games that people are gutting for repros. You'll probably spend less than $200 getting samples of all those crap games, some shop in Japan will probably thank you for it, and if they really are games that collectors and the community care about in fifty years time, then you'll probably get your money back and be a hero. Otherwise, I say get over it - wanting to preserve anything and everything "just because" is the first step towards pack-rat hoarding and mental illness.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

absolutely anything posted:

something like star fox 2 is the only case for repros that i 100% get, even if i personally wouldn't rip a super fx chip out of something to play it. it wasn't released and flash carts don't support it, so that's the only way you're gonna play it on real hardware. fine. go for it. i mean eventually flash carts will get there and it'll go back to being dumb to do but whatever.

everything else though: still stupid! the collection angle has never flown with me mainly because if you tried to pull the same poo poo in like any other collector community you'd be a joke. if you rolled up to whatever 1960s malt shop people are still showing off their baseball card collections in and went "yeah i got the boys in china to print me up one of them t206 honus wagners" you'd be laughed out of there no matter how much you yelled about the epic nostalgiafeel as they pushed you out the door. and the nostalgia thing is dumb too. what the gently caress are you getting nostalgic for? you're not holding anything with any sort of historic value or worth. it's not anything from anyone's childhood. it's a gussied up knockoff. it was made this year. if it had a funnier looking label it'd end up on @bootleg_stuff. if holding the vague facsimile of something you're nostalgic for is enough for you then go print out some papercraft snes carts, it'll probably be cheaper in the long run, it at least has the benefit of being a fun crafts project and has about the same level of worth when it comes to "shelf candy" (uggghhhhhh).

"but you can't play paper!" yeah i know. you know what you can play? a flash cart! a flash cart is also the vague facsimile of something you're nostalgic for but it's also million times more practical! it plugs in just like your stupid repro cart and it plays exactly like your stupid repro cart! the literal only difference in how it works is you pick a game from a menu first. and that should really be the main concern: it plays the same. it's not even remotely the same thing as playing on an emulator. you are playing the game on actual hardware hooked up to a nice crt/scaler. it's not an mp3 vs vinyl situation, it's cd-rws vs cds. a repro is just a cd-r someone slapped a nice label on, and going back to the previous point i'd have the same reaction to someone showing off their sweet custom policenauts translation burn as some cool collector's thing as someone showing off their seiken densetsu 3 translation repro.

and as for gutting old games to make repros, when i'm not being purposefully rude and dismissive like i am in this post this one actually 100% echos my feelings word for word

but since i AM being purposefully rude and dismissive, as someone who has way too many loving video games: i don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck about the "collectors and community". i care about video games. i think treating old video games as some sort of lifestyle that can be "furthered" by removing the actual history of the medium (no matter how bad or currently oversaturated) and replacing it with whatever hobbyist project is hot at the time is super sad. i think people (AGAIN: i'm talking about working/repairable stuff here. salvaging parts from unfixable things is a-ok!) ripping the ppu out of a playchoice-10 to get rgb out of their nes, people gutting gba sps for the screens and people harvesting super fx chips for their bootlegs are all equally lovely and selfish. ESPECIALLY when there are made from scratch alternatives like flash carts that don't take away from anything and are, outside of edge cases like star fox 2, superior in every single way outside of the arbitrary ones people have made up in their heads. who the gently caress are you to decide what gets to live on in a field of media that, while obviously not in any immediate danger of disappearing, can do nothing but dwindle? madden 95 is a lovely outdated game that next to nobody cares about, no argument, but who made you the arbiter of how many copies are available? i'm totally being hyperbolic here and chances are none of us will live to see the day that there aren't any copies of madden 95, but i still don't think that gives anyone the right to push that date up. especially not when the end result is an impractical shelf decoration.

tl;dr gently caress a repro

drat, this is some fine sanctimony over mass-produced consumer goods right here.

If you're going to complain about Playchoice-10 machines being taken out of circulation, you're really going to have look more broadly and farther out than the small niche of RGB-ified NES hobbyists for that (since only a certain subset of those PPUs were even usable for the mod, and the demand for them led to the creation of the NESRGB boards). You're going to have to point the finger at destructive children and teenagers, at neglectful convenience store and arcade owners, at distributors shitcanning old machines because no one wants these old NES games in day and age 199X. You're also facing the "soul" question - what is the soul of a Playchoice-10? Just the PCB? The cabinet design and its graphics? Its RGB-enabled CRT monitor? Original joysticks and buttons? All of these together?

If you're upset about people gutting the less-notable SuperFX games in order to do something interesting with an otherwise niche coprocessing chip, you're free to get your own copies and curate them for next five decades, in the hope that enough people will give a poo poo to view them as interesting historical artifacts. Your complaint about the GBA SP is muddled and unclear to me - do you just object to GBA SPs being broken down and harvested? What about the damage to the stupidly dark original GBAs that such a mod entails?

And yet, does any of your rant really matter? People today would naturally be aghast if you converted even a merely good condition 1930s Ford automobile into a new hot rod design, since they're now so rare and still desirable. But they'd also be aghast if you took a 1950s or 1960s-era hot rod, made from those 1930s Fords when they were cheaper and more common, and hosed with its design - despite said hot rods being dramatic and theoretically destructive modifications of those original Fords! It's because history can be as much about the context of actions as it is about the authenticity of objects from it. Both the original and the mod have value, cachet, appeal, what have you, perhaps because both still have utility (be it actual or the hearkening of such).

But saying that the sea of plastic-injected, mass-flashed, robot-soldered, and assembly-lined packed sports games, mahjong titles, and so forth that is collecting dust in storage bins, on store shelves, and in warehouses is somehow meant to be off-limits is just silly as hell. There will be enough Madden '95s for the museums of the future, I guarantee, and enough Stunt Race FXes and whatever else you might please to argue is historically significant to the 8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit eras and on forward.

Just chill, or step up your game to ensure that you are doing your part to preserve what you believe to be historically meaningful and significant.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TheRedEye posted:

Something I don't hear talked about with bootleg cartridges is how a lot of them were free hacks and translations done by the community, sold by someone else for a profit without permission. It's one thing to bootleg a commercial game that a company already made its profit off of or whatever, but it's another thing entirely to poo poo in your own community pool like this.

I used to be kind of upset that people were bootlegging the unreleased games we spent a lot of money to make sure people could see, but I'm over it now. I'd rather people profit off of my money than profit off of someone else's months/years of labor.

I can see how that might be vexing to the community folks who do that sort of thing, but on the other hand, I guess it's kind of a shaky ground. When a translation patch is for an emulator ROM image of a game that most of the people playing its translation probably don't own an actual copy of...well, sauce for the gander or whatever. I somehow doubt that Nintendo or Square or most other Japanese companies/rights holders would make a fine distinction about a translation patch being non-profit or for-profit, when it's for their game in what is legally an unauthorized distribution format.

The translation might be technically legal (so you could have a nice script and all that which people could read as they played), but if a company pressed the point, it'd be the same thing as a shuttering effect if they said "The translation is fair use, but the patch is for a version of our game that is being distributed in a format we did not and do not authorize", and a judge agreed. I could be wrong, of course. It's trite and entitled to say, I guess, but if translators have any motivation or ideals for their work being anything but their selfless effort expended for the love of the game and gaming, to be used and abused by anyone, then they're courting some serious hurt and disappointment.

d0s posted:

do you see any problem at all with for-profit organizations doing it on a large scale or is all of it hunky-dory to you no matter if it's a hobbyist or a businessman? honestly curious not trolling or trying to argue or whatever

Short summarized answer: I guess it is fine to me, in the end.

Long conditional answer: I'll say that I'm personally not keen on large-scale, for-profit reproduction/bootleg/whatever creation - but ultimately, it's up to the rights holders and community to actually do something about it and make it painful or unpalatable for said for-profit organizations to do. I suppose I can step away from my seeming hedge by saying that my retrogaming mentality is based more in a utilitarian perspective ("This looks fun/interesting/cool to have"), rather than from what I'd consider the more perfectionist collector mentality. So I have flash carts, I buy cheap but less-than-pristine consoles, my hardware is modded for better video output than it would otherwise have if left in its original state, and loose carts (particularly Super Famicom) dominate the physical game collection I have.

So for me, if something works, and the price is right, that's what I'm interested in. Of course I prefer genuine goods, because who doesn't? But I guess I would be slightly less averse to bootlegs, especially if I had few other options, than someone who is more focused on legitimate perfection in how they collect, and for whom a bootleg (mainly of an otherwise regular but desirable game for their region and market) would be most hurtful. But I'm not going to condemn people who make physical bootlegs or hack carts, and I'm not going to particularly sweat a bunch of small factories in Shenzhen trying to sweat out a living with their bootlegs of Mega Drive games.

Doing that strikes me as being elitist and chauvinistic (to be Tumblresque for a bit), because trashing bootleggers and pirates is basically a trickle-down condemnation and judgement of those retrogamers around the world who, due to combinations of customs, laws, and economics, had much of their experience formed by the presence of bootlegs in their arcades and gaming market. Maybe someone in the US would be pissed off by a bootleg SMB3, and understandably so, but that same bootleg spirit (in a multi-game cart as Super Marion 6669) is what formed the core of the retrogaming experience for someone in Russia or elsewhere. And who is to say that's a bad thing in the big picture?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

I agree that it's lovely to condemn people for pirating old games, no problem there. I just have a problem with what are basically corporations at this point trashing legit games to make bootlegs on a large scale. for the most part you can pirate nearly everything without resorting to that. I don't see it as the same criticism at all, it's two separate issues to me. if a factory in china wants to make bootleg old games from scratch (which is what most china xxx in 1 etc carts are) I have as little problem with that as I do flash carts.

Admittedly, I haven't followed the situation with sales of converted bootleg carts that closely (other than someone mentioning some chain doing it), but my visceral reaction depends on what games they're trashing to do that sort of thing. Though, if we want to get down to brass tacks, it's probably no real difference to someone who got burned by a cart they purchased, regardless of if it came from a company making carts en masse or from an individual "hobbyist".

Random Stranger posted:

A translation of a work is a derivative work and thus a violation of copyright if done without authorization. Obviously I don't think it's a particularly big deal, especially when we're talking about things that are commercially unviable to translate officially, but that's where the law is.

Good to know, and I suppose it only highlights my point about translations being on shaky ground. Which doesn't mean that's the right thing for them to be legally, or that people should gleefully exploit the work of fan translators and disrespect their wishes regarding distribution and sales, but :shrug: . Assholes gonna rear end if there's money involved.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
If people want a 1080p HDMI-enabled NES option, welp, Monitor Burn has a front-loader with Kevtris' HDMI board available right now, cheaper than the Analogue NT. Or look at buying an upgrade kit (when available again) and either installing it yourself or having MB do it, since he's one of the recommended modders anyway.

Like, geez people, this is a dead simple problem to solve :rolleyes: .

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
With its rounded edges and Fisher-Price colored logo and controller buttons, the SFC is toylike as gently caress. I don't know what you people are smoking, but you better quit it, because it's obviously wrecking your minds. The US SNES is more in line with computer peripheral design aesthetics of the era, in my opinion; it's kind of reminiscent of one of those big old external SCSI drives or whatever.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

remove the colored logo, does this look toylike?

I see a serious grey box. those funky computer peripherals didn't come around until the mid-late 90's, not the early 90's when everything was pretty much a sea of beige boxes

It does :colbert: . Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the SFC design per se; I just don't think it's particularly superior to the US SNES, and the comparative brightness of the US SNES compared to the Genesis probably helped to differentiate it considerably in the contested North American market.

And the US SNES embodies what I recall as a common aesthetic trend in the early 1990s of "dark" colors (like black or dark grey) contrasted with muted "bright" colors; like typically an item would have a grey to dark grey case with buttons, edges, and covers in muted purple, seafoam green, magenta, and Day-Glo yellow. The buttons of more gussied-up Tiger LCD games seem to best embody these colors, but I recall they seemed to predominate in the athletic equipment market of the time, and also that plenty of cheap electronic geegaws and the like used them, too. I suppose that from a manufacturer's perspective, if they couldn't use good black plastic or metal like the big name electronics manufacturers did, they could at least differentiate their products with some muted but contrasting colors so that they didn't look like lumps of dark plastic.

It's definitely a product of its era. and we also can't forget that Lance Barr, who did the US SNES design, apparently did the designs for the NES console and the NES Advantage (along with the second NES design). Considering the success of the NES and the Advantage, it wouldn't surprise me if NOJ figured he had a better finger on the pulse of the American consumer's design preferences than Japanese designers did. The man has a consistent style, if nothing else.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

here's the box (the guy on the screen is an olympic swimmer, not some random skinhead)

Psst, it's not too late to say it's the lead singer of Midnight Oil!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FireMrshlBill posted:

2) So I have my PSone hooked up to my PVM for RGB. Is there any issue with leaving the small PSone LCD screen attached? Will it reduce the quality going to my PVM? I am debating on disconnecting it anyway to keep the hours on it low since it is always on even when attached to a TV (I wish they turned it off the an AV cable is connected).

I doubt it will have any real impact on the RGB output to your PVM, especially if it's a licensed Sony screen. It looks like it does a basic pass-through from the PSOne's AV port, so I wouldn't be too worried about it. That said, it shouldn't be hard to do a comparison if you're really concerned about it.

• Locked thread