Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

rdbbb posted:

you uh, sure there's no middle ground here?

Yep, 110% sure.

But hyperbolic statements aside, I do stand by the view that getting a PVM is kind of a major financial commitment these days, and it's not something that people should just enter into lightly on a whim. Especially as prices have increased since the people who deal in them have cottoned on to the fact that they're still good for something in a niche market, and are now "valuable".

And keep in mind that I say this as someone who has five CRTs (one 19", one ~16", two ~9" units with RGB, and one 9" with composite and S-Video) that I managed to pick up at good prices (really good, in retrospect) some years back. Today? I'd probably be looking at other alternatives first, before trying to answer the question of whether or not I want to drop $200 or more on a CRT display, and that's without saying anything of the extra incidental costs that would be associated with doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

moller posted:

I wanted to hook up my TG 16 and seem to be missing the power cable for the CD part, which wraps around the turbo like a gross parasite but lets you use composite instead of RF. It's 11v center pole negative but the barrel seems to be the wrong size on everything I've tried. Anyone know a label maker or whatever wall wart that will work?

azurite posted:

I know this fits the Japanese one for a fact. I don't have the American TG 16, but the polarity is right.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DTI9CJ4/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's probably safe to assume that you can never assume anything about Japanese TG16/PC Engine stuff applying to American TG16 stuff and vice versa.

Anyhow, since I don't have any US TG16 stuff, moller should take these recommendations with that in mind and weight their merit accordingly:

https://console5.com/store/dc-power-adaptor-set-convert-a-standard-power-supply-to-6-different-plugs.html
https://console5.com/store/dc-2-pin-interchangeable-dc-plug-atari-5200-intv-ii-tg16-cd-dock-twin-famicom.html
https://en.retrogamesupply.com/products/power-supply-for-nec-turbografx-16-cd-rom-dock

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Hell yeah I ate a Nintendo character

Pizzaface McBreadbowl?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tree Dude posted:

So tell me about this Kirkzz black friday sale. Is it something he (?) does every year? What sort of discounts are we talking? Are enough people jumping on it that I have to act fast to get something?

He's done it every year, so far as I'm aware? I think the discount is about 20% off the regular price. I don't think there's any great big rush for flashcarts during Black Friday, compared to Krikzz' usual sales rate during the year, but demand might be increased because I think it's the only major sale he does and people will try to hold off buying flashcarts until then.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

XtraSmiley posted:

That controller rocks by the way! What I may look at next is an adapter to allow me to plug in a SNES controller into the NES though, that might be the perfect way to go.

Monitor Burn has made these adapters in the past, IIRC. I don't know if he's making any right now, but you could PM him and ask. He might also have some backstock.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Zand posted:

official dogbone is like ten foot cord isn't it? and the regular is 6...

The Japanese versions introduced with the AV Famicom are way shorter than any US NES controller cable, and there are plenty of them floating around the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Dos posted:

My roommates are going to the Portland Retro Gaming Expo next week and are considering picking up a Famicom. What are some cool titles they'd be able to pick up that can be enjoyed without knowing any Japanese?

Which kind of Famicom? Hopefully it's an AV Famicom, because the original model (iconic as it is and something people gush over aesthetically)...kind of sucks, when you think about it?

* RF only.
* Besides being RF only, it will only work on US TVs that can scan and tune channels 95 and 96.
* The controller cords are short and plugged directly into the console's mainboard.
* Since the controllers are not detachable from the console, replacing one or both if they're beat to poo poo is way more involved, both in terms of finding replacements and swapping it out. It's not hard, but it is a pain.

Encourage them to go for an AV Famicom, especially if expo merchants are already charging $50, $75 and the like for consoles.

Anyhow, Astro Robo SASA is a nice, simple game that I like to recommend, and there is also the thread favorite Devil World. Probably the easiest thing for them to do, if they're looking to try and pick up Famicom carts at the expo, would be to "pre-browse" on a site like Buyee's Yahoo Auctions pages, see what strikes their fancy as far as cover art goes, and then see if they can't find gameplay videos to get an idea of how accessible it would be to play. From there, of course, it's a matter of taking notes and searching the baskets or whatever.

• Locked thread