Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Ofecks posted:

Looks like some YT links got autopasted into video tags in that section.

Here are some nerds I occasionally watch play old games on Twitch:
https://www.twitch.tv/lordbbh - currently the Twitch MAME roulette king
https://www.twitch.tv/macaw45 - Sometimes does JP computer stuff, which gets no coverage and is pretty interesting
https://www.twitch.tv/icarusfw - does a shmup-only MAME roulette, also taught me how to play mahjong :aaa:

And I thought I was being unique diving down the rabbit hole of MAME roulette every week :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I think you'll find that when it comes to producing videos about games on the Internet, no one is unique.

Sometimes I wish I had enough upstream bandwidth to stream video. It seems like it would be a fun thing to do.

Once you get a decent group of regulars to hang out with, it's great. Until then it feels like your soul is slowly dying.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Tim Follin could make anything sound hype as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJwh3erQlyE

loving Pictionary.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

This is going to be a weird post.

I decided I was going to take on a challenge to beat every SNES game released in the US, knowing this will be a several-year endeavor, most likely. I've decided on RNG to pick games, and so far it's given me two very awful games, Super Soccer and International Tennis Tour. I'm terrible at sports games, too, but these games are incredibly bad.

Super Soccer, as awful as it was, at least functioned, and with a great deal of stubbornness, I did manage to beat the game. International Tennis Tour is so broken on a fundamental level that I can't even decide if the game is beatable.

The AI has difficulty even getting the ball over the net during serves, and the game's code for determining faults is barely there at all. I watched an AI net-ball on a serve for FOUR SOLID MINUTES before they finally earned a fault. To compensate, once you reach higher levels in a tournament (3rd AI onward), the AI moves much faster than you can and will never miss a ball. I'm also fairly sure there are button reading shenanigans going on to make sure it hits the ball to places you can't reach with your stubby human legs.

The Y button, for all intents and purposes that I can see, seems to be an automatic "Give the other player a point" button, because you'll always knock the ball out with it. As an added bonus, it's the fast shot button, which means your primary means of throwing an opponent off balance just... doesn't work. Not that it matters, because the AI can instantly recover from dives and will be back in the center of the court before the ball even reaches you.

Then there's the sticky issue of what constitutes even beating the game. There's a career mode, which is just a tournament each game week. Then there's also a tournament mode, and a doubles tournament mode. All the tournaments in the career mode seem functionally identical. Is doing a tournament enough (not that I'll ever win, the god-king AIs kick in for round 3 of 5)? I really have no idea here. Sports games are going to be a hard thing to determine whether or not I've "beaten."

The worst god drat part is that there are no guides for this game, anywhere. No longplays. Nothing that might give me any sort of hint or insight whatsoever into any way to conquer this hell I've found myself in. It's almost like this game exists solely in my nightmares.

I guess what I'm asking for is this:
1) What would you do when confronted with this scenario and needing to come up with a completion criteria for this game?
2) Does ANYONE know some sort of strategy for this game?

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Rollersnake posted:

Give up and move on unless I am being paid to be angry at games on the internet.

About that, I've been streaming it, so, :negative:

In any case, yeah, I guess I need to move on. I did manage to win some matches, at least.

Novasol fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 21, 2017

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Rollersnake posted:

Okay, then, how entertaining is your continued misery vs. just playing another game? :v:

Maybe change your criteria so that in exceptional circumstances you can put a game aside and come back to it after x number of games? That way you're not technically abandoning it, and maybe in the meantime you can practice it off the stream and see if you can't figure out a new strategy that works.

Yeah, it's getting shelved for now.

I rolled Family Dog before that. I'm incredulous that my day got worse after that. At least that game is easy and short to make up for how terrible it is.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

univbee posted:

You should probably have a look at The Mexican Runner's go-over of every NES game.

http://themexicanrunner.com/

On top of a stream of him playing the game and some other information, he does stipulate what his completion criteria is for each game, which could give you some ideas, as his criteria isn't necessarily doing everything in a game.

I was just looking at that. I think "Winning tournament mode" is probably the best way to go about this. I have no idea what, if anything, triggers an "ending," since information on this game literally does not exist.

Going to have to practice in my off time. I'm going to designate Thursdays as the days I revisit awful games that, for whatever reason, I need to shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Link to your stream, I wanna see this

twitch.tv/novasol

Nothing but net.
Notes:
1) I'd gotten up to make a sandwich, to see if it would be done netballing by the time I got back. It wasn't.
2) I turned on song request because there's no music in matches.
3) I was really, really not happy.

Also I just noticed the game info is wrong :negative:

Novasol fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 21, 2017

• Locked thread