Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I'll repeat from the last thread that you guys in the US just get 32" Sony Trinitrons and PVM CRT monitor thrown at you at every corner, but for us here in the EU, it's not quite so easy.

However, this is what everyone in the EU should look for:

See how loving classy that is?

It's a Bang & Olufsens MX television, which should be near you for anywhere from cheap to about €50. Make sure you get the remote control included, since there are no controls on screen. It has RGB scart, and will happily do NTSC, 480i, 240p, 576i and deinterlacing with scanlines of interlaced signals. I don't bother messing around with real old hardware because of the cost, so I have a softmodded Wii hooked up to my MX7000.

Look specifically for the models MX4000 (21" model), MX6000 (28" model) and MX7000 (28" model with ACTIVE SPEAKERS!), and get the cool motorized stand included if you can. OR go nuts and get an Avant if you and about 10 of your friends can carry it.

Also, don't fall into the trap of vintage B&O collecting like I did, you need your money for old video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I disagree on this point, mostly because I wanted that version of Samus (where she looked like Vasquez with purple hair) to be canon:

According to the Super Metroid Players Guide, Samus Aran was 6'3" and 198 lbs :allears:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Finally all is good in the world.

E: Well it will be when I get an RGB Scart cable, since I don't want to butcher my GC cable.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
The version before they changed to the last/current mess on android was perfectly fine on my Shield portable. Load game, autodetect core, autodetect the Shield controls, and just play, with any and all consoles.

Today I count myself loving lucky if I even get a game to start while stretched to widescreen and with screen overlay controls.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I got the RGB scart cables from Retrogamingcables for my PAL SNES, connected to a Bang & Olufsen MX7000 CRT.

I won't bother you with blurry iphone pictures of a CRT screen, and instead just say it's good.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Can anyone link me to a known good RGB scart cable for the Wii that isn't too expensive? I bought one on eBay that claimed to be real RGB, but of course it's just composite through the scart plug.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Elliotw2 posted:

If you don't live in the UK, you don't have an option. All NTSC Wii's only ouput composite or component. You can get a converter for Component to SCART though that should work on your monitor if yours doesn't have any component ports but does support the standard.

No, I live in Europe, so it's a PAL Wii.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Can someone give me an eBay link to some known good SNES controller replacement rubber pads? I bought some cheap ones, but now I have no diagonals :(

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Does anyone know any known good RGB scart cables for the Wii? I'm tired of buying "REAL RGB Wii Cables!!!" from eBay and disputing them every time they turn out to just be composite.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Sure you remember Descent and Forsaken, but do you remember the black sheep of the family, Terminal Velocity? The engine from that got bought by Microsoft and used as a showcase for the newfangled DirectX technology if I'm not mistaken.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Thanks to the Neo Geo chat a few pages back, I decided to look into it on my softmodded Wii. I finally found an eBay scart cable that gave me RGB on my Bang & Olufsen CRT too, so it's like having an arcade monitor in my apartment! The Neo Geo games look like nothing special just testing them out on my laptop, but on a CRT it's like something from a different planet! The NES and SNES emulators look spectacular too. Now I'll have to swap to a bigger memory card, and get lots of cool fighting games.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I have a PAL Wii that I've softmodded with all the emulators, and it runs RGB via Scart to a Bang & Olufsen CRT that happily does 576i/480i/240p, NTSC, PAL50 and PAL60 with RGB. If you're in Europe, this whole setup should cost you €50-80, and give you acceptable emulation and spectacular video and sound for almost every old console there is!

The PVMs and Trinitrons that seem to flow freely on Craigslist in the US can be hard to get hold of in Europe, but B&O CRTs can be found all over the classifieds for nothing at all.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Just pulled this baby out of the electronics recycling at work:

Ordered up a scart to BNC plugs adapter from Retrogamingcables.co.uk, can't wait to try it out!

I tested it with an old laptop and S-video, so I know it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
A used Wii I bought had like $15 in Wii shop credit on it. Guess I'll have to find something to spend it on.

Also, do what I did and pull a PVM out of the electronics recycling, it's FREE! And if you're in Europe, go pick up a Bang & Olufsen CRT TV from your local Craigslist equivalent.

• Locked thread