Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I'd add this "YT idiot" to the OP for anyone interested in doing front or backlight mods to their GB/GBC/GBA, handheldlegend.com even started linking his videos for their install guides:

This Does Not Compute
https://youtube.com/user/cwwirth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

MegaGear is awesome stuff.

Hey, how hard is it to replace the batteries in NES and SNeS cartridges? I figure you get a New Battery, wire up some leads to it, alligator clip to cart, replace old battery on cart, all to prevent the memory from wiping.

That sound right?

Ya, I've seen videos of it done for SNES and GB carts on YouTube, I assume you can for NES carts too. Though the people I saw found other points to connect the external battery. Prob could, at minimum, temporarily solder wore leads to some component or a via. I have a Retron 5 that I use upstairs, so I'd just dump the save files to that and trip load them after the battery change.

Very nice, I like that the inside is gray and not the standard black they use. Previous NES edition models have just been decorated outside but indistinguishable inside.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Since a few people mentioned streaming, I have been considering it for awhile, as well as getting some gameplay footage up on YouTube for games that are lacking good videos. Mostly just to give myself some structure in gaming, I have been sloppy in my game play lately, so I figure if I stream I'd be a little more intentional in my decisions/strategy and whatnot.

Anyways, my question is, I am considering getting the Elgato HD game capture unit. For older systems, is just using the Svideo adapter via AV-in good enough for streaming, or is an upscaler like the Framemeister really necessary? I could probably just use the Retron 5 via HDMI (though I'd prefer actual consoles), but for things like the N64 and GameCube I'd need to use Svideo until the GC plug n play component/HDMI adapters come out, if ever. Also, things like PS1 I'd need to compare using PSone (s-video) vs PS2 (component) vs PS3 (HDMI).

Thanks!

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

wa27 posted:

I finished a project today!

The brightness was fine so I didn't attach the power wire on the cable adapter. It has a slight... sort of interlacing problem (that's what it looks like anyway) when things are in motion. I think there's a pot I can adjust somewhere in there so I'll give that a try some time. It's way better than stock or an AGS-001 the way it is, so I'm happy.

Congrats! There is a pot on the back, either take off the back casing, or I believe you could punch a hole through the back label to actually access it though I'm not 100% sure (people may just drill holes above it that happens to go through the label). Its a set and forget type thing, so I'd just take the back off and go that route.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

I got my Elgato HD game capture today from Amazon. I played around a bit tonight with my GC connected and think I can get it going well. I don't know why, but I want to do some streams of 007 games to start with. I plan to start with Everything or Nothing for the GBA since I haven't played through it yet and I figure since it is a handheld game and shorter, its a good starting point. I really should drag my Retron5 down for better output, but I kinda like the idea of using my GB player via s-video... though that may look ugly on the stream... I dunno.

I think I will give it a test run on Thursday night after 10pm eastern but will really start streaming next week. Most likely Tuesday night because I will be busy with work until Monday afternoon, so feel free to watch me crash and burn in my attempt and laugh at me. Twitch username: fmb_streams

After that, I may do Everything or Nothing for PS2/Xbox, or maybe go through what I have in my collection chronologically starting with James Bond 007 for the 2600 (what a nonsensical and lovely game). I just need to redo the composite mod on my 2600, rewire the circuit and properly mount it inside since last time I fired it up a couple months ago, the image was dark and I noticed when I plugged in the AC adapter some nice blue sparks popped and sizzled where I plugged the adapter into the console, though I know I should plug into console first and then wall. Then move on to James Bond Jr for NES after that, I have a CIB version that I have never played.

There are some good and many mediocre-to-bad 007 games, I really wish they stepped it up with them. 007 Legends was probably my least favorite and hopefully did not kill any chances of new 007 games getting made.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

wa27 posted:

Yeah I was just wondering how I could get to it while it was on, considering the battery contacts are in the back casing. I guess that's why people drill holes.

They have battery packs for 2x AA batteries that you could use and have clips/leads going to the console back. Also, could just use wire and tape up 2x AA batteries to accomplish the same, maybe lightly solder wires to the leads on the GBA so you can power it on without the back case?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Topolino posted:

Elgato includes it's own PS3 component cable that connects directly from the console to the device. It cannot capture video trough HDMI from the PS3. The benefit of recording PSOne content from the PS3 is that it will be nicely upscaled to High Definition, so you do not have to do anything for it to look as good as it can get. Please keep in mind that the Elgato cannot capture 240p content from component cables, only from composite and S-Video, so using the PS2 with the component cable will not work. Also, the S-Video cable for Elgato is sold separately (or at least that was my case a few years back).

Thanks for the info, I was hoping to use component for PS2 and Xbox game capture, but I guess those are 480i and above anyway. I'll just do PS1 game capture via PS3 or PSone (via S-video). I ordered the s-video cable adapter and should get it soon. Today I was playing around and just hooked up my GC using composite (red input on component cable) and had the S-video going to my CRT. Was surprised with the video quality, though I know to expect lower quality from streaming. I'll play around a bit before investing in too much equipment and see what I can do. It'll just be for fun anyway. May also compile some footage for some reviews/discussions on YouTube.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Instant Sunrise posted:

Please tell me you have all those awful PSX games EA made after getting the rights to make Bond games after the success of Goldeneye.

Haha, I have Tomorrow Never Dies and 007 Racing on PS1. I only previously had the N64 version of The World is Not Enough, but after I decided to do a 007 streaming (and hopefully YT review) series, I recent ordered a PS1 copy on eBay and am waiting on media mail to deliver (I hate when people use media mail, just charge $0.50 more and send via first class, I feel that USPS purposely delays media mail just to punish you for not paying more).

Now I need to decide how nuts I want to get with owning and comparing the PS2/Xbox/GC era games on each console. I think I have them all on at least 2 of the 3, but I think Rogue Agent and Agent Under Fire are on all three. There was definitely still differences in that era, however, not so much once you get to PS3/360 era (I have them all on PS3 and see little reason to get on 360 as well). Though I need to repurchase the Wii version of Goldeneye and wish I kept the golden classic controller.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

wa27 posted:

Thanks! I adjusted that and the interference lines cleared right up. I also went back and soldered the ribbon cable lead to get a bit more brightness out of it. Last night the brightness looked fine, but I tried playing it with more ambient light today and it was pretty dim. Now I have the fabled "perfect GBA".

Should solder in a switch to be able to go between low and high brightness (as long as the pot doesn't need to be adjusted for each brightness level).

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

I ran across this today. For anyone whose GB Micro's battery doesn't hold a charge, this is interesting. Mine is still fine, but will keep for future reference.

Monitor Burn posted:

Is there any mod to isolate the original GBA's audio circuit from interference yet? I know the GBA doesn't have great audio to begin with, but the background static and noise is pretty distracting when using headphones. (Also the beeps when the EZ Flash IV loads up a rom).

I don't think so. I know they sell that GBAmp3 to increase the volume for the speaker (and I think it cleans it up). However, nothing for the headphone. You may be able to use that for the headphone, but you'd get both L and R channels going through both L and R headphones.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

African AIDS cum posted:

I havent heard of one yet. I tried a ground loop isolator on my GB micro which didnt do anything. Does the SP have this issue too? Never bought a headphone adapter for it

The SP's still have it, but I can more easily find a sweet spot on the SP where it is loud enough to hear but the static/buzzing isn't annoying enough.

I tried a cap swap on my GBC, and that removed the high freq hiss, but that low buzz is still there and annoying.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Instant Sunrise posted:

I kinda missed out on the entire 16 bit era, going straight from the NES to the N64, so Sega was just never really a thing for me :shrug:

Same here. Went from NES (and PC/C64) to the N64. Played more Genesis at friends' houses than SNES during those years, but any 16-bit games I am really interested in these days are on the SNES. I have a handful of Genesis games still, but didn't have room for the console, so sold it and just settle with a Retron and Retrogen for what little Genesis games I want to play. Not a knock on Sega or the console, just my tastes and preferences for things I had nostalgia for.

I have the Sonic games, PS4, Castlevania: Bloodlines, Sub-terrania, Aladdin, Lion King, Power Rangers, James Bond: The Duel, Earthworm Jim, and crappy sports games. There are a couple more I'd like to get, but honestly PS4 and Castlevania are the only ones I haven't really played thoroughly yet that I really have a desire to play still. I'll play James Bond or Earthworm Jim here and there, but thats it as far as my Genesis gaming goes.

Any other big heavy hitters I should check out?

I do plan on doing a James Bond in video games video as my first (and maybe only) Youtube attempt. So I will put some time into the Duel. And I still need to play FF3 on the SNES, have only played it on the PS1 (and a little on GBA, but stopped so I can just play on SNES) so far, but plan to play through PS4 after that since people seems to debate which is better (though Chrono Trigger usually gets decided as the true answer).

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 5, 2016

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Caitlin posted:

About 15" Samsung CRT, my 20" PVM is on another table. The monitors are 23" LGs.

Ha, I saw the picture and thought "wow, those look like my 23" Flatron IPS monitor...", especially the on on the left, and "I have those Cyber Acoustics speakers".

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Rirse posted:

If I am going to have the tv with the consoles next to my PC, would a 14 inch be fine? Especially if I am getting a Sony PVM in that size?

Sitting at a desk should be fine. Though, I've played sitting back (5' away or so) from 13"/14" CRT's in the past... and ever since college, that has been a no go for me. I end up losing interest in whatever game too fast because I had a hard time seeing. I am not sure how I was able to sit across the room from a 13" CRT growing up and being able to play games.

Caitlin posted:

Those speakers are not half bad for $40 speakers!

Haha, not at all. They replaced a decent set of 4.1 speakers that died and I just didn't want to spend money because I'll be upgrading my surround sound in my game room once I move, and just wanted something to hold me over. I may not now. Plus the aux in is great.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 5, 2016

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

You can get test suites that you can put on a usb stick or burn to dvd. I just connected my 360 via composite and adjusted that way. My geometry is still off, especially if I have ESPN on and there is a banner on the bottom of the screen, I slightly see a rise about mid-screen. I am not proficient enough in the menu to get that worked out, though I think it probably would need to be opened up and adjusted manually.

Also, if you are going to mess with geometry settings in the system menu, WRITE DOWN THE CURRENT VALUES FIRST!

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Paper Triangle posted:

Are there recommended or trustworthy brands, or is it a crapshoot even within certain brands? I don't really want to pay $5 each for two screwdrivers (need a #0 and a #1).

For bits, I have these. I have had zero issues. This set is pretty cheap and comes with the tri-wing as well. I didn't buy that set, but the tri-wing I got looks exactly like that one, writing and all. I have not had any issues with it and worry more about the screws stripping than it. Though the tri-wing that monitor burn linked previously looks much better and more ergonomic, so I'd just get that if you think you will use it for more than a project or two.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Doc Morbid posted:

Aw come on now, it only took three people to carry my 32" Panasonic widescreen CRT to my apartment! It'd probably only require two if they were bodybuilders.

(this thing actually isn't particularly heavy compared to some of the bigger Trinitrons, it's just a pain in the rear end to move because you can't get a good grip anywhere)

Ya, I don't even move my own bedroom set anymore, so definitely not going to move a 300lbs+ TV myself. My 27" Trinitron is suiting me nicely, but one of those 40" Sony's with the built in stand is intriguing. So when I do eventually buy a house and move, I'd consider having the movers swing buy to pick one up off of craigslist. Though I could (and should) just get a Framemeister at that point. With fewer TV repairmen out and about these days, I'd rather not have something that will eventually die, cannot be easily repaired (who knows if parts are still available by that point), and then will have to struggle to get rid of (would have to pay someone to come get it and take it to a dump/recycle center since the trash truck will not pick that thing up on the side of the curb).

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Rirse posted:

Exactly. It probably was a 40 inch too, which is way too big. Besides, I have a feeling it might not work since it been sitting outside by the road when it has been raining the past few days. The 20 inch Sony I got isn't going to win rewards for picture compare to the the PVM model, but it sits me perfectly fine. Looks way better then the other tv I posted pictures of before.

Ya, if you are happy with that, then don't fret. I didn't even have a TV with something more than composite until my last year or two of college. So I didn't even own a s-video or component cable until ~2006, many years into the PS2 lifecycle and right before I got the PS3. You can always get a Framemeister down the line or whatever comes next and possibly cheaper, surprised no one has put out something in the $250 range that competes with it yet, though I guess it is a niche market. Also, if it really bugs you later, just keep a look out for a different Trinitron with more inputs or even a PVM/BVM and go the RGB route.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Holy poo poo, a Sony PVM-20M4U popped up on Craigslist in my area an hour ago for $50. Usually you cannot get a 9" around here for less than $300. I responded saying I'll take it, lets hope no other night owls responded first.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

FireMrshlBill posted:

Holy poo poo, a Sony PVM-20M4U popped up on Craigslist in my area an hour ago for $50. Usually you cannot get a 9" around here for less than $300. I responded saying I'll take it, lets hope no other night owls responded first.

And the guy responded and said it was listed wrong and should have been $100... great.

Should I go for it still? Like I said most PVM's I have seen in the last year or so on CL go for well over $200, even the smaller screens, because people know retro gamers are seeking them out.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Ya, he already sold it. I know I was the first one to respond, since he responded to me saying he meant $100 at 7am. Then sent me another email at 9am saying he added two pictures of it showing it working. By the time I read those emails at 11am, his listing was already down. Sent him an email inquiring about the pictures and he responded saying the monitor is sold.

What an rear end. I always give the first person who responded first dibs and a reasonable amount of time to respond. He listed it at 12:50 last night and I responded to it at 1:40. I doubt someone else was up and happened to see it within that time, plus he responded to me like it was mine if I was ok with the $100 and even posted extra pictures for me.

So I sent an email laying the guilt trip. Some people are just asses. Oh well, I'm still happy with my Trinitron CRT and would have had to do some serious rearranging for it anyway. Maybe when I buy a house in the next year and have more room, another one will pop up at a reasonable price. Whats another ~14 months of having CL send me alerts when PVM/BVM listings appear...

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Monopthalmus posted:

Really? I've always assumed as a buyer or seller that standard protocol was to sell to the first person who shows up with cash. There's so many flakes especially on CL that you'd be dumb to hold an item for anyone no matter how many emails. Sucks to miss a deal but I don't think that guy did anything wrong.

Well, I don't like people coming by my house, so I arrange for meet up and usually give the first person who responded a chance so we can set it up. Its not like it took me 1/2 a day, I just didn't respond at 9am on a Saturday morning. Oh well, I'm stuck working all day and wouldn't be able to get it until tomorrow anyway.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

On another note. I thought I had Phantasy Star IV on Genesis, but looked at my shelf and noticed it was PS3 instead. So looking to get PS4 for when I do a FF3(FF6)/PS4 back-to-back play through and comparison.

I'm not a hardcore genesis collector (don't even have a Genesis console and just use a Retrogen and Retron5). So is $3 Steam version worth playing? Or are there any bugs/issues that makes just dropping $40 on a PS4 cart worth it?

I usually go for carts with most Nintendo/PS/Xbox games, but not a concerned about Genesis games. So if the Steam port is true to the original Genesis release (so I can do a legit comparison between FF3/FF6 and PS4 in their original state), then I'm fine not having the cart on my shelf.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Probably a dumb question, but is it safe to run third-party RCA cables through a SNES, or should I spend the extra $5 on an original / official Nintendo one? I have no idea if there's any difference or potential QA issues that could damage the console, but if they are functionally identical then I'll probably just pick up a cheap one.

Shouldn't fry anything, but I'd just pay the extra $5. Its a one time purchase and I'd rather have official than no name brand cables with questionable quality that may stop working down the line.

Though, I'd go for s-video if possible, though its basically going for third party at that point. Just make sure to get a set with good reviews. Particularly stick to ones with only s-video and no composite to guarantee they don't cheap out and just run composite to the s-video connector.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

3rd party composite are all fine, it's Svideo and Component cables where you can get hosed. A lot of cheaper s-video cables are actually just the composite video split, which looks like rear end.

Ya, I only have had issues with a couple cables. One of those PS2/GC/Xbox s-video cables that split the composite. And another component cable with PS2/Xbox connectors that poo poo the bed after 10+ years of use (I had used it off and on as my setup changed, so it was coiled for awhile over those years and may have worn it out). Still, I have heard others have more issues, so if the price difference was $5 between 3rd party and official, I'd just go official.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Agreed. OEM cables aren't that expensive, and are probably more physically robust (if nothing else) than third-party cables.

If Grizzled Patriarch has a display with S-Video, they could also try out this cable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-best-S-video-cable-for-Nintendo-SNES-N64-Game-Cube-Svideo-SVHS-1-8m-6ft-/131782319627

And it appears there are also some official Nintendo S-Video cables on Ebay, too, though they're not exactly cheap and some are sold from Japan (so waiting for shipping).

I have that exact cable from that seller. It is good.

Getting a Nintendo s-video cable is more pricey. I got an official Sony cable for my PSone, luckily there are a few PS3 era s-video cables still floating around CIB for reasonable prices.

vvv edit: weird, I haven't had an issue with mine. I would think the seller would replace a defective cable.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 7, 2016

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

Wouldn't it be neat if Nintendo gave a poo poo about Metroid?

Oh.

Played the demo... I rather play Rocket League, at least the physics in that game is more believable.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Cliche Guevara posted:

So, I'm taking the plunge into Dreamcast territory. Speaking from someone who played with one for literally ten minutes at launch, is getting the DC-SD a way to go since I'm on a budget?

http://dc-sd.com/

Not interested in burning a shitload of games, wearing the laser out and all that nor can I afford a Framemeister. I figured someone on here got this and/or the PSX card reader and may have some experience?
Also, the site has VGA cables and an S-Video AV cable for sale. What's the smarter choice? My TV specs:

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN60ES6100FXZA-specs

Any thoughts?

Since your TV doesn't have a VGA input or s-video input, you would need to get an HDMI adapter. There are some VGA to HDMI adapters for cheap that do not add too much lag to be noticeable for most games. However, a good chunk of games do not support VGA output, so you either need to suffer with composite or get a s-video to HDMI converter as well.

I would just get the VGA box over a cable. They have VGA and s-video output with a little switch to go between the two. So you don't have to unplug anything between games and just flip a switch instead.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Ofecks posted:

This is not true, as Instant Sunrise's link proves. The only disappointments here are Bangai-O and Airforce Delta.

I didn't mean good as in quality, I meant it as in amount... like more than a handful since I wasn't including games you could patch.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm glad Nintendo is protecting the integrity of their really bad Rocket League/Left 4 Dead clone (yes I know that's not how IP protection works).

Haha, Rocket League I get, but what about it is Left 4 Dead?

After playing the demo, the haters aren't wrong in being babies about it. It is sad when I shoot the ball and some guy 90degrees to the ball from me shoots it as well, and instead of it going forward and to the right as physics and geometry would dictate, the balls zooms directly at me, destroying my suit and they score.... replay confirmed my anger. I shut it off immediately after that match and was glad that I did not pre-order.

I'll stick to rocket propelled RC cars for my electronic soccer needs.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

BlastBall isn't the only mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VEuxCvpka8

I mean, I guess you could compare it to other four player co-op mission shooters, but hey.

Not bad, reminds me of Prime Hunters DS kinda. If the single player action is decent enough I may pick it up for that. However, if it is more Triforce Heroes style where you kinda need other players in some spots to not be terribly tricky, then I'll pass.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

beaver_cheese posted:

I also watched a video about using nail polish retail displays for handheld and coincidentally a friend of mine found a bunch in his condo's garbage area later that same night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oreOa_rIUj0

Ha, I used their links on the video the same night they posted and one was sold out, so I got the other. I should pare down what I actually display, I ended up double stacking some of my games in the same series (final fantasy legends, Zelda GBA, 007 GBA, etc.).

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 11, 2016

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Schremp Howard posted:

This topic has probably been beaten to death, but is there a reason no third party has been able to make component cables for the Gamecube? I play most of the games on my Wii which is hooked up via component, but I would love to get the Gameboy Player to look even better.

Check out BadAssConsoles.com

They have the gcvideo and have a plan to roll out a plug-and-play solution for both component (using Wii cables) and hdmi in the future. However, they are funding development by selling the internal solutions first.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

I am going to pick up a 14" Sony Trinitron PVM-14M4U later this evening (for $40). I already have the SCART cable that came with my SNES I got from Monitor Burn, so I'll just need to get the SCART to BNC adapter. Should I just go with RetroGamingCables or is there an option here in the States?

Also, for Playstation consoles, just getting composite to BNC connectors works if I have a component/composite cable and just use the composite video for sync? Honestly, it will probably just get used with my Nintendo consoles 90% of the time anyway.

Guess I will need to get the NES and N64 RGB mods now...

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Yeah, getting composite (well, RCA) to BNC adapters should work. Your PVM should have a dedicated "Video" input (with BNC plugs), which you would use for composite stuff, and the RGB inputs should do double-duty for component so long as you set your PVM to use component/YPbPr mode instead of RGB. Then your green input will receive the sync information that the component video format uses on that color channel, instead of expecting straight up RGB + sync.

As for SCART-to-BNC adapters, the one from RGC would probably be worth getting, or you can try to track down a guy named "daskrabs" at the Shmups or Nintendo Age forums and see if he has any for sale. Don't bother with Ebay if the seller has a name like "wookieewin" or something; I got my first adapter from them and it was dog poo poo, because they didn't do proper grounding on it.

It's been a while since I've received anything from the UK, but I recall being impressed at how quickly stuff I've ordered from there in the past has arrived, and I live both an ocean and whole continent across from it on the west coast of the US. If you live on the Atlantic side of the country, you could probably get an adapter from them pretty quick.

Just going to order from RGC and wait it out. I am getting this cable to go from my SNES SCART cable to BNC. I was wondering, for playstation I thought I needed a SCART cable with CSYNC and can use the same SCART to BNC adapter above, however on RGC there is no CSYNC drop down option on their web page, only the Luma, even though they say there are options for both. Do they not sell CSYNC anymore or if I don't select luma in the drop down, will they send me one for CSYNC? I fig I'd ask here in case anyone knows and would be quicker than contacting them.

Also, I want to split my signal coming out of my S-video switch box to go to my CRT TV and my PVM, you think this would be decent quality (no signal degradation)? Since it splits to 4 outputs, it would also allow me to connect it to my Elgato game capture HD.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 13, 2016

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

d0s posted:

e: has anyone else noticed that this is one of the few hardware-centered hobbies where you're not constantly chasing upgrades beyond a few really simple things? like once you get RGB out on a halfway decent CRT or upscaler you're pretty much done forever and don't have to worry that you're missing out on some higher level of quality or whatever. I'm also into photography and people go nuts sinking absurd amounts of money into upgrades that seem neverending, it's pretty much a cliche with anything audio related, even watching things like EEVblog there are dudes regularly shelling out thousands for better scopes and multimeters and poo poo.

I would love to get to that stage. I usually cycle my hobbies and concentrate on gaming for ~1yr, then guitar ~1, then my car, the PC's, etc. Seems like I am always upgrading (or changing) hardware in something. Though I am finally settling down on things I think. I have downsized my guitar gear to what I am happy with and probably won't do much upgrading unless I start another band. Now that I have a kid, I've been considering selling my car to get something more family friendly. Video games are a constant upgrade/change/selling/repurchasing of consoles and hardware. Lately, VR has been intriguing me, so plan to build a new PC in 2017 and get a HTC Vive, but that will be after we buy a house.

So I am going to order my SCART cables for Playstation, Xbox and the SCART to BNC adapter. I will just get the sync on Luma for the playstation since I am sure my Sony PVM-14m4u won't have issues with it, even if c-sync is better. My question is, since my SNES cable is C-sync and the Xbox cable is C-sync, should I get the standard BNC adapter or the BNC adapter with the built in sync separator? Or since my PVM isn't one of the ones they listed as requiring C-sync, does it even matter?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Rirse posted:

That's not too bad. Do they all have RGB ports, as the one I am looking at is a 14N1U and I don't see the RGB slot or component slot, just S-Video I am figuring. Maybe that isn't the model I should get then.

I just paid $40 on CL for a 14m4u on Friday. Has RGB/component, Svideo and composite. Not all 14" PVMs have RGB ports though, some only have composite, some only both composite and s-video, some have all three.

The manual and all google images of the 14n1u do not have RGB, so I'd skip that model and keep an eye out. It wouldn't be worth it to me unless you really want that 14" size and your current TV doesn't have s-video. While the PVM I got looks great for s-video, better than my 27" Trinitron CRT TV, not better enough to play on a 14" over a 27" screen and relax on my couch. Need to order cables before I can hook up RGB and compare, but will probably mostly use my PVM as a passthrough monitor when I do game capture and streaming. and will just use my CRT when I am playing for fun.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 14, 2016

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Bonobos posted:

Local CL has this PVM for sale for $50.

Sony PVM-14N5U 14" NTSC Monitor

See here for details --
http://www.broadcaststore.com/pdf/model/17906/pvm20n.pdf

No RGB, guess that makes this a pass? How much should I expect to pay for an RGB model? Guessing CL is still the best outlet for these types of monitors or is there some other place to find one?

If you don't already have a CRT TV with Svideo, I guess it wouldn't be bad. I'm still waiting on SCART to BNC cables to try out RGB on my 14" PVM, but am using it for s-video in the meantime. It is good, definitely sharper than my 27" CRT TV, but I'd still choose my TV over the PVM right now just because of size.

So ya, if you already have a 20" or bigger CRT TV, I'd skip without RGB. If you don't have a CRT already, it probably wouldn't hurt to try and offer a lower price to see if they take it. You could always upgrade and resell later on and break even.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

TheRedEye posted:

Honestly though if you've got the space and you think you might want to play with some PAL stuff, this might not be a bad backup to have, since it supports PAL, NTSC, and SECAM over S-Video. You can play some weird Euro-only PS2 games without cutting any of the picture off, and they'll probably look pretty good on it.

very good point on the pal

I like having both right now anyway. My PVM is at a position that is playable from my desk and all the line outputs can go to my capture device. The CRT is at a position for chilling on the couch and playing.

Just noticed this week that there are Framemeisters on Amazon Prime, don't have to worry about overseas shipping or customs fees/taxes. Just sucks they don't sell the component to d terminal adapter on Amazon as well. It goes for $387 while I can order form Japan for $360, but One-Day prime and a return policy is nice... very tempted since I am getting into the RGB game anyway... but my wife would kill me.

May be time to list some things on SA mart for a Framemeister and RGB mod fund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

I AM THE TOILET posted:

Hey, kind of a weird tangent, I guess, but if there's anyone who would know the answer to this question, I'd assume you guys would.

I just got the PS4 port of the PS2 game The Warriors - and it's been a long time since I've played it. I was watching the intro FMV, and one of the characters says "Are you going human being?"

It really surprised me - I don't recall hearing that at all when I played it, and I'm surprised that they kept the phrase in the game. I haven't seen the film - shame on me - so I'm assuming that it's drawn verbatim from it?

But it got me thinking - what other games have ever prominently used the word 'human being?' Because your garden variety swears of 'gently caress' and 'drat' and 'poo poo' et al have certainly become commonplace - but thankfully human being hasn't, and it's certainly fallen out of use in recent years.

I can remember, back in 2005 (when this game was released) and certainly before it, that I would utilize the epithet, casually even, in conversation and on the internet, but since then I've come to blanch and react negatively to it as strongly as I would incredibly strong racial epithets, which now brings me to a better inquiry - how many notable games in history have utilized what are certainly now nearly forbidden epithets/insults?

I listen to Louis CK, Bill Burr, Joe Rogan, etc. all the time, so I still hear that term a lot in their comedy and podcasts. I also don't remember hearing that in the game, but its been awhile since I played it. But ya, in 2005 it wasn't as taboo as it is now and since it is rated M, I don't see Rockstar editing that out. Especially since it is a "period piece" and based off the movie (and possibly the book?).

What pisses me off is that I have that game and Bully downloaded on my PS3, however, if I want them on my PS4 then I would have to buy them again... what is this? Nintendo eshop?!?!? Plus, I think they are like $9.99 games on the PS3 but $15 on the PS4?

Also, apparently there may be a show based off The Warriors in the works to air on either Amazon Prime or Hulu? At least there is talk of it being made.

Edit: as to your question, does Cartman go off on his usually anti-Semitic rants on Kyle in any of the South Park games? I still haven't gotten around to playing the Stick of Truth or whatever it's called.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 17, 2016

• Locked thread