Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

If you haven't played Grand Theft Auto 3 since PS2, give it a whirl. Real nostalgia trip.

The last page's discussion and Mappy cartoon reminded me of this so now you have to remember it too:

You can still play the game and I think the DLC is even free now. If you know every character on the roster, you're a much bigger Namco fan than I. It's not terrible in every way, but if you want to play a dating sim I strongly recommend the English fan translations of the Nintendo DS and PSP Tokimeki Memorial: Girl's Side series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

DizzyBum posted:

All right, I give up. Why are there Homestuck characters in this collage?

Andrew Hussie, the Homestuck guy, agreed to direct a budgeted indie game for Namco on the conditions that he get to use any Namco characters and properties, and that he get complete creative control. He got the agreement in writing and went to town.

Imagine you can resurrect any Namco series or properties no risk or strings attached. I have to kind of applaud a dating sim in the West in this day and age. Between Namco nerds and Homestuck fans a lot of people tried it the first week that it came out. Maybe Namco's finance pitch guy was all about getting that Homestuck fan money. I doubt the paid characters/routes did well. Other reminder: it's not the last commercial Homestuck game.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What's wrong with doujindance's systems?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone here have or recommend an instagram to admire retro games on the go?

Other question about PS2. I've got used to playing PS2 games emulated at higher internal resolutions, custom external shaders, and sometimes widescreen hacks. I am much happier with how this looks than even a PS2 with component cables. Dark Cloud 2, Godhand, and even Katamari look much better. I'm seriously considering backing up and selling what I have for the system, but first are there any games that do not emulate well or somehow depend on the real hardware?

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 8, 2017

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Hmm. My new 1CHIP SFC is resetting/locking if I just nudge the cartridge while it's on. I'm at the office so I'll have to try it at home tonight with my SD2SNES but the only game I have here at the office is Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventures and I can reproduce at will. I'm hoping it's just the cartridge and not that there's something wrong with my new SFC.

At home this sits under my TV bench anyway so there's not a good chance of the cartridge being nudged while it's on but it's still somewhat worrying.

Though I'll say that 1CHIP looks amazing even through the lovely Amazon SCART->HDMI upscaler.

What the heck don't nudge your cartridges while they're running.

There are some notable cart nudges out there though. If you do it in Sonic 3D Blast you get the level select (e:f;b). I think Ocarina of Time has a debug crash handler screen. Then there's the Goldeneye 007 model flipping out thing.

fishmech posted:

Well I don't think anything properly emulates stuff like the Rez Trance Vibrator or the EyeToy. Also many of the online games won't work in emulation - but they often don't work on real hardware anymore because the servers are dead. The various MMO games are usually right out.

Anyway check this out http://pcsx2.net/compatibility-list.html

There are currently 125 out of 2592 checked games that are not playable all the way through.

Great list. Thanks.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 10, 2017

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

How can you possibly not know the most famous way to break OoT?

http://www.jaytheham.com/zcw/Ocarina_of_Time_Crooked_Cartridge

I was remembering one related to this but Oh! MY GOD!! I had forgotten how expansive that glitch is.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

Also, I just got a Mega Everdrive x5! The first thing I loaded up was Sonic 2XL. I can't wait to play Crusader of Centy. What are the must-play mods and translations?
This specific special build of Sonic Megamix is a must-play on the real hardware.

If you like the cute and cheerful Rainbow Islands then definitely check out the grimdark robotic Genesis version.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

liquid courage posted:

Finally was able to grab a GDemu a few weeks back (the guy who makes them seems to make insanely small batches so they sell out in minutes) and just installed it. Also opted for a 3d printed tray and I'm glad I did, because the board just didn't feel terribly secure with the stock plastic stints. Also, the inclusion of slots for multiple SD cards is a nice feature, although I'm able to fit every game I'm interested in on a single SD card (it's in the mail, the ones below were just to give the board a try for the first time). Super easy install, just had to open the DC and remove the drive, no additional parts necessary. And like any retro good console, there were a few dead bugs inside. :D

Awesome. Now you can play all the great Dramcast mods like the Shenmue undub, the Xiaopang Complete Edition, possibly soon a 16:9 widescreen mod of that, a a bunch of unstable Half-Life DC mods. Not to mention prototypes. I'm jealous.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I have just made the greatest retrogame purchase of the year and I can't wait for it to arrive from Japan and let you all know about the greatness of the game Kawaii Usagi (or "Cute Bunny"). For those who need to see how cute this bunny is, here is the game's box:

Also, I purchased an unlabeled Game Boy cart so that'll be fun!

Finally, why are there so many Yugioh games for GameBoy and what's the best use for those carts since it's definitely not playing them?

Please post a follow-up.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

People have been asking for my old Genesis / Mega Drive overclock kits lately. If there's enough interest I can see what parts would cost and do a SA mart thread. I'd like to remake my old guide a little more professionally anyway. Anyone need to lose rings faster?

Random Stranger posted:

They shipped it from Japan two days ago. I'm not going to be getting my Cute Bunny on for at least two weeks.
I'll try to be patient.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Rayman 2 has the same problem - there are a million versions and one would think the newer ones would be the better versions but the Dreamcast version is still the one to play.

Rayman 3 doesn't have that same problem because noone gives a poo poo about Rayman 3.

If you have a monster computer PS2 Rayman 2: Revolution can be emulated with 60 fps and widescreen hacks, higher resolution, and custom shaders.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

falz posted:

I may be interested. Is it for model 1 or 2? They let time I looked at overclocking one of them (1?) had zero info on how to properly do it.

The kit and guide cover both model 1 and 2, but not model 3. Differences are noted, the most important of which is not forgetting the plastic spacer when reassembling a model 2.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Gunstar Heroes has some good end-of-level poses. There's the turning-around animation frame, the half-circle standing ground slide, and of course air attacks.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Using Super Mario World to install a code handler and real-time hex editor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixu8tn__91E

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Goldeneye is an extremely important game historically and was amazing when it was new. Honestly though it hasn't aged well at all. Now Timesplitters though, that poo poo is timeless.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

sinepost posted:

Waterworld is terrible, but has some great late period Ocean SNES music: https://youtube.com/watch?v=0H5YoFv09uQ

Good poo poo.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

H1KE posted:

I want these for some reason. What's the name of the clown one? I can't read the label properly.

E: Actually, what are all of them? Google is returning incorrect results.
They're "creepypasta" games. repainted and relabeled some cheap games for display.

Sand Dan posted:

hey, can anybody explain to a dummy what happened to the price of Princess Tomato between 2007 and 2017? I assume Youtube and Twitch happened to it? and the general rarity of being niche product of dubious quality that didn't sell very well to begin with
An increase in people who have both the desire and means to own every cartridge has skyrocketed the prices of those with limited runs in that time. There is legit interest and nostalgia too, but absurdly wealthy people who up and decide they want every NES game is a factor.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Sold my PVM today. Made 75 flipping it but I'll miss the unwieldy whining box.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Instagram is fun for weird stuff I've never seen and never will again. Also for a million Super Mario Bros / Duck Hunt carts.

e: The thing can apparently accept both types of RGB pinouts somehow.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 8, 2017

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

That's probably what my doujindance Duo-R looks like and I'm afraid to ever open it or power it on again. The bubble wrap is absurd but what's wrong with using epoxy or hot glue to keep the connections secure? It makes future modding work near impossible but it should be a set-and-forget kind of thing.

The guy talks about learning CAD and fabricating boards which interests me. I've used autoCAD a bit before but I have no idea how one would go about getting pcb boards printed.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Crossposting from Sonic thread:

Years out of the loop I checked out the current state of Sonic ROM hacking tools and things have really improved. Tools like SonLVL and flex made editing things easier than ever, and the modern community disassemblies are better than ever - including the disassembled ROM already does wonders for accessibility.

With SonLVL you can select, copy and paste groups of objects or level blocks. You can paste filling in patterns.

Creating new level art is still complicated, but enemy sprites and objects can be png import/exported. Change art, assemble parts how you want, or just edit the pixels right there. flex runs through a web browser or locally.

Even with all these conveniences, it's doubtful Sonic will ever be cut out for a Sonic Maker game. Making levels for Sonic is just more involved. Sonic 2 is shown here but it's basically the same for all of the Genesis-era Sonics. I was surprised to see Chaotix and Sonic CD support. One kaizo-ish level is the result of me messing with the tools for about half a day. It has a big corkscrew.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I found a black Playstation 1 at an electronics junk shop. Thinking it was a net yaroze unit I offered the guy a sly 10 bucks and he gave it to me no trouble with a scart cable for another 5. At home I realized it's just a PAL unit with an aftermarket shell. It booted up to the first major loading screen of Bust-A-Move 4 and then just hung. I shut it down and gave the system a light touch with a can of computer duster. Then it wouldn't read any discs at all. I gave the focus (bias?) pot on the drive some minor adjustments and while the disc reading noise changed a few times it still wouldn't load anything. I took out the multimeter to seriously adjust the bias/gain but my trusty multimeter's tiny batteries just then gave up the ghost after years of good use.

Another day, Klonoa Beach Volleyball.

Willo567 posted:

Has N64 emulation improved at all, or is it still as poo poo as ever

Yes! Grab mupen64plus, a frontend (seriously), and an indiegogo funded graphics plugin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqZcBcsHjys

If you think you've been emulating Beetle Adventure Racing! well enough on pj64, you're wrong.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 20, 2017

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I somehow thought it was just Myst and Riven but there are 5 main games, an MMO spinoff that's still running, and 3 novels with 2 more planned. Is anything good beyond the first 2 games?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I can confirm this - Sonic 1 is a rebranded 2013 iOS release. Altered Beast and Phantasy Star II do not have iCade support, so using an 8bitdo to play either is not happening.

Do not download. Not worth your time. Same ol poo poo.

8bitdo could add a mode via firmware update for the modern iOS controller standard, but the dev said on their forum that they don't want to pay for the developer license. :sigh: It's a non-issue if you jailbreak I guess.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

ChaosArgate posted:

Apparently people who already owned the Taxman version of Sonic 1 have to pay to remove ads from it. That blows, why was that version of Sonic 1 never brought to anything but mobile?

His 'Retro Engine' can build for just about any platform, it's a publisher choice. Maybe they wouldn't compete with the versions already out or in the pipeline like the 3DS ports. They also presumably turned down the S3K pitch. Someone in the industry can comment better on publisher decision making process.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

falz posted:

Speaking of Typing of the Dead- I've always wanted this game but never wanted the burdon of having a Dreamast keyboard taking up space. Anyone aware of an adapter to use a standard PS2 or USB keyboard instead? I've googled it in the past and always seem to come up with the opposite. direction (Dreamcast controller -> USB).

:filez: the olde pc version.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

If this were compatible with a couple more systems I would jump on it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The Rayman SNES prototype has been dumped by this guy. Link to ROM here.

The flashcart voltage thing has me concerned for my Duo-R and Super Nintendos. Guess I'll grab the higher-end SD2SNES flashcart later this year. :sigh: :retrogames:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I did 6 acts of Kaizo Sonic 2 before calling it quits. It should work on the real system, but I eventually stopped testing it on my Mega Everdrive for convenience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOH9RNJiI1M

ROM here

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

GutBomb posted:

Rez Infinite was just released for PC today, it's the same game as the original Dreamcast Rez but running at super high resolution with controller or keyboard+mouse controls, and they've added a new level (which is in a different engine from the rest of the game, and not on rails). $20 on steam. Oh and if you have VR it is fully VR too. Basically it's a fully realized version of Rez.

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

In Training posted:

I still can't believe no one's ever done something with that mechanic now that every piece of junk data you could possibly ever want to look up and turn into a monster or animal or summon or whatever can be downloaded in 4 seconds

There is the DS wardriving game that uses SSIDs to generate furniture for your house. Iirc that is the whole game.

• Locked thread