Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Ineffiable posted:

If the Vita takes off as an emulation device, get ready for a second wave of bitching about memory card prices.

Because those prices are STILL atrocious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
slippery glossy 3DS? what kind of slimy hands do you have? :psyduck:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I'm exaggerating a bit but it always feels weird to me. I find myself playing the smaller new 3ds just because it's matte (depending on the cover plates you choose). Also I am Italian so yes I am greasy by nature.

I hated when laptops started coming in glossy like 10 years ago because they look like complete crap after a few months, so my problem is nothing new. :v:

I don't play systems without a cover on them in the first place so it's really a non-issue for me anyway. I don't need this Majora's Mask 3DS XL getting scratched up :psyduck:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

fishmech posted:

"For the love of all that is holy, make sure you get a proper gamepad for the CD-i instead of trying to get by with the IR remote controller"

that is accurate advice and I was pleased as pie to pay $35 just to get a single non-IR-remote gamepad

I may also note that neither the 3DO or CDi have copy protection so you can play burnt discs.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

because the only pre-NES poo poo worth dragging back out is a Vectrex :colbert:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Wait, there were video games before 1985? That's just silly. Everyone knows that video games started when the NES was released in the US and not a moment before.

Naw it's just that the more fun poo poo to replay is the arcade stuff from that era. :toot:

That and really I just think most of those types gravitate more towards places like AtariAge.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

New thread attracts new trash posters, hooray! :toot:

Enjoying this desk setup.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

the hell are you goobers on about, I have the tiny-rear end CRT on top of a monitor stand and I slide the Duo back under it for storage so I can have a desk

like I don't know how to take care of a collection I've been building my entire life :colbert: get the gently caress out, son

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Instant Sunrise posted:

On Super FX carts, the cartridge shells have space for two metal clips by the additional PCB edge connectors the Super FX chip uses. My copy of Yoshi's Island has only one metal clip in it, is that normal or should there be metal springs on both sides of the cartridge?

normal, stop staring at it

vv na they always have grooves for two but come with one, v. standard, no worries

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 4, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Chinese Edition is shorthand for Bootleg As gently caress for pretty much every product.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

If it's at a desk, yes.

I know I just posted a picture of this, but this is what it looks like from a distance. It does take a fair bit of desk space to do, but...

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

About 15" Samsung CRT, my 20" PVM is on another table. The monitors are 23" LGs.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

FireMrshlBill posted:

Ha, I saw the picture and thought "wow, those look like my 23" Flatron IPS monitor...", especially the on on the left, and "I have those Cyber Acoustics speakers".

Those speakers are not half bad for $40 speakers!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

How do you even break a metal screwdriver even if it's a cheap one when working on small form factor stuff like this? I have a set of cheap bits I put together from Chinese eBay resellers for like .99 a pop and they're still fine. Not top quality or anything, but they get the job done. :confused:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Monitor Burn posted:

The metal was softer than the screw and the teeth in the bit bent sideways? To be fair I do get more use out of these tools than most people, and sometimes the screws require some force to remove, especially with PC Engine hardware.

You definitely do get more use out of 'em than most, haha! I think the .99 version would probably be fine for the average joe, but if they're gonna be doing even half as much as you do they should probably spring for nicer tools. :sax:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

oh whatever, go download 'em on emuparadise

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo's putting out a Prima guide for their plug-and-play NES that's full of old Nintendo Power poo poo, so I'd assumed the NP archive was another move by them to reestablish the Nintendo Power brand as a thing, maybe so they can relaunch it as a web series or something, but I guess it's all coincidental and Ninty's just nintying everywhere like they always do.

This is a thing I was not aware of and makes sense of that entire takedown. Also, aren't they doing a reprint of the Mario comics from NP issues?

vv oh come on you big baby

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 9, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I think someone licensed that stuff, yeah, but I wanna say they announced that a while ago, long before we knew about NES Mini.

No it was announced like 4 days ago.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/08/04/nintendo-powers-super-mario-adventures-comic-reprinted-viz-media/

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

boy new threads sure do attract great new posters! :toot:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

it's okay you can go back to arguing about Nintendo IP and ignore my post too.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

As the resident crazy acrylic display stand lady, what type of acrylic display did you find that was thick enough for a TE and a Core? :aaa:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

So... how much do you want for one? :sax: I just want something that holds my drat TE! Pretty much nothing fits it because it is SO FAT. You know.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

This is beautiful.

Please tell me about that small black box next to the gameboy printer.

That's a BitBoy! Get it while you can (the guy is holding one for me, actually, haha) :

http://gameboyphoto.bigcartel.com/product/bitboy

e : when I say "get it while you can" I'm serious because this is the final run of them.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

beaver_cheese posted:

Honestly if shipping we're so crazy from Canada to the States I'd do one for you.

Really though it's not that hard to make yourself. I found some scrap acrylic at Home Depot and used a lovely heat gun. You don't even need a vice either. A couple thick books with a friend standing on them and a hair dryer would probably work too.

The trick is to go super slow and let the heat do most of the bending for you.

Flippin' Canada with the flippin' terrible-rear end shipping! I wish I understood why it was so expensive. Sending a small flat rate package with a Famicom game in it cost me $20 :sigh:

I don't think my hair dryer gets hot enough and I have no heat gun, alas! My search continues...

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Kthulhu5000 posted:

The PVMs you might see with PS3s and the like hooked up are likely going to be later models like Sony's PVM20L5 or JVC's DT-V series, since those can potentially handle video frequencies more akin to what the PS3 and the like put out, rather than being limited to 1980s/1990s analog formats.

so what you're saying is I can hook up my PS3 to this thing? Hum. I never did try anything newer on it.

but if my 360 wants to play nice imma be playin' some mothafuckin' STGs

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 15, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

MrLonghair posted:

That would be it :ohdear: slowly gotten used to 576i over the evening but it's not pretty, I gotta get something 240p RGB stat

RGB to BNC to urgh it's interlaced but oh so CRT-pretty :3::3::3:

Did a few hours of Demon's Souls, the interlacing hurts my eyes but it's so much better than anything

share your account with me so I can play that 'cause I can't buy it anymore tia :cry:

(I really am pissed I can't buy Climax)

vv luckily I already have it but that's probably good news for some people here :toot:

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 15, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Possibly, no guarantees, but the 20L5 can handle 1080i and 720p according to this:

http://www.broadcaststore.com/pdf/model/671080/pvm20l5.pdf

Not sure if it's standard or needs an addin card, but there you have it...

I'll have to see when I have the energy to tinker because that should be rather interesting. 360 ain't doin' much while I have my PS4 hooked up anyway.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I say we have a money pool on how many games in the lot are Family Stadium.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

d0s posted:

that only happened once :colbert:

Gamefan was a trainwreck.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/gamefan/GameFAN.htm

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

d0s posted:

yes undoubtedly, but they were also "real" in a way so many magazines back then weren't. they seemed to genuinely love games and writing about games and showing you cool poo poo that had nothing to do with advertisers because most of it you couldn't even get in the US. in the days before the web a magazine like that was indispensable and super appreciated

for the thread so that it isn't skimmed over from the goldmine that is the HG101 archive of that ...

Gamefan posted:

djpubba
Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza

Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

--

Oh, there's a doosy of a story behind that one. I poo poo you not, but Halverson was high on acid when he wrote the Cybermorph article, along with half the staff. We had just pulled a couple of all-nighters in a row, which was the norm at deadline times. Apparently, when The Enquirer came back to work the next morning, he dropped some acid in the coffee pot, which most of the crew, including Halverson, drank from. I wasn't a coffee drinker at the time so I didn't really notice anything unusual and didn't learn what was going on until George started threatening to murder Cockburn.

So, re-read that Cybermorph article now that you know he was on acid, and it'll shed new light on just why he thought it was such a great game.

"real" is a very relative term

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I'm not gonna let these crazy Gamefan stories die out so quickly!

Gamefan posted:

Wolfie

Here's a fun one:

GameFan's first trip to the CES (consumer electronics show) in LAs Vegas to get some attention and advertisers for the mag. This was way back in '93 or so. Way before E3. Anyway, so a bunch of the guys go a couple days early to check everything out, then a bunch come a couple days later, myself and Jay Puryear included. So Jay and I are to share a room (oh joy), and this is the room previously shared by The Enquirer (Cockburn) and K. Lee. So we get there and the room is thrashed- the beds are all unmade, condom wrappers everywhere... (oh boy times two)

So the next day we are told that after asking Halverson for money for food etc... that K. Lee, The Enquirer, and Kai Kuboki promptly went and used that money to buy a hooker which they then all shared. Then they all played Yoshi's Island.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

(ignore the fact that players 3 and 4 have 6 buttons. I realized it was overkill and I am filling them in.)

So I have read that a lot of people say you absolutely do NOT "angle" the directionals. Meaning they will be the same as the middle 2 joysticks even though those are not angled. Here is a diagram:

So apparently, the example in red is wrong.

A. 6 buttons was better than 4 players if you like fighting games, but as you will I guess. Don't fill them in IMO; just cap them.
B. What kind of monster are you that you just made them two straight rows? How do y'all even stand playing like that for extended periods of time? Angled buttons are so much more comfortable. :sigh:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

d0s posted:

agreed, he is also using happ sticks though so idk if he cares about good controls :smugdog:

He did, however, pick the actual worst cabinet layout to show as the bad example. 4 player Simpsons arcade is fun, unless you're player 1 or 4.

e : I guess that was the "good" example and I misread. I actually really hate that layout, but not because of the stick orientation, mostly because you have to stand at a right goddamn angle to the screen.

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 18, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

On the contrary I will tell you a black Duo is just fine as long as you have it recapped. :shrug:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Never ever had my audio cut out. :shrug:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Everybody gets mad when I say I think MAME cabs are trash fires but now you think we shouldn't have repros and gut lovely games for it? Hahah. :toot:

I have very few repros, but I don't know how someone (in this hobby) couldn't understand the appeal of a nicely made repro because you just wanted to be able to play a game - it's a visceral nostalgic thing (and also nice shelf candy). I have exactly 3 repros and 2 were gifts, but they were very nice gifts (Sweet Home EN NES cart, Dracula X in a nice english case). The one I bought is the US translation of the Sailor Moon Another Story SNES RPG. Would I invest tons in repros? Heck no, but I still plan to get a Clock Tower EN SNES repro.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

absolutely anything posted:

something like star fox 2 is the only case for repros that i 100% get, even if i personally wouldn't rip a super fx chip out of something to play it. it wasn't released and flash carts don't support it, so that's the only way you're gonna play it on real hardware. fine. go for it. i mean eventually flash carts will get there and it'll go back to being dumb to do but whatever.

everything else though: still stupid! the collection angle has never flown with me mainly because if you tried to pull the same poo poo in like any other collector community you'd be a joke. if you rolled up to whatever 1960s malt shop people are still showing off their baseball card collections in and went "yeah i got the boys in china to print me up one of them t206 honus wagners" you'd be laughed out of there no matter how much you yelled about the epic nostalgiafeel as they pushed you out the door. and the nostalgia thing is dumb too. what the gently caress are you getting nostalgic for? you're not holding anything with any sort of historic value or worth. it's not anything from anyone's childhood. it's a gussied up knockoff. it was made this year. if it had a funnier looking label it'd end up on @bootleg_stuff. if holding the vague facsimile of something you're nostalgic for is enough for you then go print out some papercraft snes carts, it'll probably be cheaper in the long run, it at least has the benefit of being a fun crafts project and has about the same level of worth when it comes to "shelf candy" (uggghhhhhh).

"but you can't play paper!" yeah i know. you know what you can play? a flash cart! a flash cart is also the vague facsimile of something you're nostalgic for but it's also million times more practical! it plugs in just like your stupid repro cart and it plays exactly like your stupid repro cart! the literal only difference in how it works is you pick a game from a menu first. and that should really be the main concern: it plays the same. it's not even remotely the same thing as playing on an emulator. you are playing the game on actual hardware hooked up to a nice crt/scaler. it's not an mp3 vs vinyl situation, it's cd-rws vs cds. a repro is just a cd-r someone slapped a nice label on, and going back to the previous point i'd have the same reaction to someone showing off their sweet custom policenauts translation burn as some cool collector's thing as someone showing off their seiken densetsu 3 translation repro.

and as for gutting old games to make repros, when i'm not being purposefully rude and dismissive like i am in this post this one actually 100% echos my feelings word for word

but since i AM being purposefully rude and dismissive, as someone who has way too many loving video games: i don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck about the "collectors and community". i care about video games. i think treating old video games as some sort of lifestyle that can be "furthered" by removing the actual history of the medium (no matter how bad or currently oversaturated) and replacing it with whatever hobbyist project is hot at the time is super sad. i think people (AGAIN: i'm talking about working/repairable stuff here. salvaging parts from unfixable things is a-ok!) ripping the ppu out of a playchoice-10 to get rgb out of their nes, people gutting gba sps for the screens and people harvesting super fx chips for their bootlegs are all equally lovely and selfish. ESPECIALLY when there are made from scratch alternatives like flash carts that don't take away from anything and are, outside of edge cases like star fox 2, superior in every single way outside of the arbitrary ones people have made up in their heads. who the gently caress are you to decide what gets to live on in a field of media that, while obviously not in any immediate danger of disappearing, can do nothing but dwindle? madden 95 is a lovely outdated game that next to nobody cares about, no argument, but who made you the arbiter of how many copies are available? i'm totally being hyperbolic here and chances are none of us will live to see the day that there aren't any copies of madden 95, but i still don't think that gives anyone the right to push that date up. especially not when the end result is an impractical shelf decoration.

tl;dr gently caress a repro

are you trying to compete with captain rufus now or what

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

xamphear posted:

Maybe we should just replace the entire OP with ranked lists of the "good reasons" and the "bad reasons" to play old video games. That way everyone would know where they stand, who was better than who, which fans were "true," and which had "broken brains."

You know, something really alienating and elitist, right out of the gate.

this guy is on the mark

good thing we got the :siren:nostalgia police:siren:

vv just because I say MAME cabs are dumpster fires doesn't mean I actually think nobody should be allowed to have them, which I repeatedly stated during the "debate" last time, but you wanna play cute, do you. :sax:

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 20, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

fishmech posted:

I doubt Gamestop deliberately threw out cases and manuals in bulk

why do you doubt that it's a store practice they still follow

I had a manager at one tell me they literally threw away every DS/3DS case they had to make space and were selling cart only at CIB cost. :toot:

e : also, you guys found THE WORST mame cabs :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is nostalgia literally the only aesthetic value out there? Even if they don't look like the originals, I think they're kinda pretty.

be careful, these guys are gonna brand you a heretic

• Locked thread