Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Ofecks posted:

Wasn't this supposed to be white? I seem to recall the one I saw on GCCX being white. Pretty gross!

No. It was yellow on GCCX and it's always been yellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I have a Japanese SFC as well so I can directly compare them and the US SNES is way, way more durable. Not that the SFC isn't durable, but the US SNES can be thrown down a flight of stairs. I have no clue why Nintendo went with purple accents but I love it. And they stuck with that for the Game Boy Color (it was first only available in purple) as well as the GameCube and GBA.

Not true? The Game Boy Color was released in the five colors in "COLOR" - grape, teal, berry, dandelion and kiwi.

e : you MIGHT be thinking of the Game Boy Advance but that was still indigo. :colbert: and I just couldn't remember if they released glacier and the other colors simultaneously or not.

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 23, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Oh no, definitely the Color but I could be wrong. I know for a fact when I went to buy it on release date that Babbages only had the two purple colors. Still my point was that from the SNES on, Nintendo had an interesting love for purple. I mean to get a normal black GBA we had to wait years for a Toys R Us exclusive but purple was available on launch day!

Edit: Wikipedia is definitely wrong on some stuff. I just checked and they claim that a black GBA existed at launch. It absolutely did not. I remember seeing the black one in a Toys R Us ad and it was exclusive. And I sold my white one to get it.

Edit 2:

And it was in 2003. I thought Wikipedia was supposed to be pretty accurate.

Pretty sure it's actually not wrong and is simply not differentiating between the US and JP launches like you are. JP launch had black. Or it could be US regional availability, I'm not sure on that one. I can definitely confirm the US launch of the GBC had the "COLOR" set tho.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

flyboi posted:

Yeah I knew that was going to be way more than I would want to spend :stare:

By "way more than you want to spend" you mean "ludicrous" :toot:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Fleedar posted:

Did the whole backlight/bivert thing. Looks better than I expected.

I dig this.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

SnatchRabbit posted:

Is $50 a good price for a 3DO 2 controllers, no AV cables and a handful of games?

Yes, provided you give half a poo poo about the 3DO (I do).

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

I bought a CDI for some reason. Is there any option for getting a decent controller for it that isn't like 50+ dollars?

edit: The list of 5 CDI games in the OP should take Merlin's Apprentice off and put on Laser Lords instead. :colbert:

A. no, I only got lucky from someone in this very thread ($35), so best of luck
B. agree

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Ofecks posted:

Longplays aren't pro strats. They're tool-assisted runs played blind by people who don't know anything about the game. Not to mention poo poo 2007 encoding practices. You want Replay Burners for the real thing.

I listened to actual music as a teenager. :shrug:

That is absolutely not what a longplay is. A longplay is simply a full run of a game, generally without commentary. Hush.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I know this is gonna blow your mind, but World of Longplays is not in fact the only source for them.

vv correct indeed

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 31, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

d0s posted:

it would be like $3-400 for that entire setup with the supergun if you could find it. I got super lucky and got that exact kit from a canadian last year for like $300

e: and yeah the sticks are the fuckin bomb, especially if you like seimitsu parts. they have a patch bay under a little flap in the bottom to totally remap the stick, you can do poo poo like assign two buttons to one input (really useful for shumps when you want to have one turbo'd and one for a charge shot or something)

e2: check yja and ebay for "sigma av5000", thats the supergun those sticks came with and they're more likely to be found with it than loose

or you can shoot for a new Windy Gaming supergun (currently actually being assembled)

http://www.windygaming.com/products/preorder-windy-gaming-supergun-model-atp-300

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

but splatoon not having voice chat is awesome.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

The Genesis vs. SNES video is easily the best thing he's made for Cinemassacre.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Flicky is a Good Game™.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

d0s posted:

Out of all the good racers on the DC calling VP the best seems kinda.... excessive. This is a system with TXR1/2, Sega Rally 2, MSR, Sega GT, Super Runabout, F355 Challenge, Re-Volt, Crazy Taxi1/2, Hydro Thunder, Flag to Flag etc

excuse you, Daytona USA

e: ugh, a new page and a post between them!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

lol "bougies"

also, I loathe the character design in FFIX. they all look like they have encephalitis.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

al-azad posted:

Five minutes, and it's probably it.

Yeah, I recommend the emulator but... I don't recommend paying for it, you know? They did the CD thing because they didn't want people playing pirated games which is a lol excuse.

It is a good emulator with great features and UI. But if a timer-less copy found its way onto your computer I won't tell if you won't.

I don't disagree with this post. :ssh:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Captain Rufus posted:

Listen I am cool with idiots spending triple digits on old Videogames and other dorky nonsense. Because I can both mock and exploit dipshits with more money than sense. (Or more likely debt up to their goddamned eyeballs. Aprs are one goddamn Bitchass motherfucker.)

Like Turbo CD Godzilla isn't worth 400+ bucks. It's barely a game worth 20 dollars IMO. poo poo, Panzer Dragoon Saga is a good drat game but it was barely worth the 50 msrp I paid for it. It's maybe a 25 hour long game tops.

I just don't understand the appeal of spending fucktons of money just to have THING when there are equal if not superior things for much cheaper up to and including FREE when it comes to Videogames. (Legal free nonetheless. Even more so if you laugh in the face of copyright law.). Outside of people showing off what's the point? I can only speak for myself but I just want to play and enjoy more fun and interesting games. It would be rad to like, have a complete us SMS collection but I'm not paying 80-120 bucks for a complete in box ALF. Or 2-3 times that for Buster Douglas Boxing. Especially in the latter case when the renamed UK version cost me like 15 shipped from the UK and I beat the drat thing in less than an hour the first time I played it.

But poo poo, some of y'all that do love to drop fat stacks chime in. Help me understand why you do what you do. Illuminate me. I still probably won't agree but I would love to at least understand.

listen, here's some perspective : people are gonna spend their money on things they like, and they may like those things for all kinds of reasons, but you're not a loving prole for yelling about someone else buy a $400 game that you're mad is out of your price range

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

GutBomb posted:

I picked up a used Wii U for cheap and I really like the nostalgia it's got in a lot of games. The Wii and U New SMB games, Mario maker, and NES remix 1 & 2. None of it is exactly retro but it's all nostalgic and great. Add in the virtual console, a hacked wii side featuring nintendont for GameCube iso compatibility and it's an awesome system that I wish I hadn't ignored for so long.

Grab Splatoon, you won't regret it. Also Bayonetta 2. :toot:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Zand posted:

just letting you know, you can assume that people are not being assholes instead of assume they are. isn't it nicer to just change your perspective instead of ask everyone else to change their behavior? sorry to call you out on this, but pffffffffffff zzzzzzz

yeah because it's so difficult to be reminded that sometimes it's important to think about how we speak to other people and be nicer to each other, man what a choad ha ha ha :confused:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

you know what, finally pulling the trigger on that block list addition

let the man like his lovely games you insufferable goon :goonsay:

yeah man it's just me being salty :toot:

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 19, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

people that unironically tell other people they're "triggered" telling us about proper decorum is a joke fwiw

content : Ugh, I'm having such a hard time scheduling a meetup between me and a friend just to pick up my repaired Virtual Boy and my glow in the dark Game Boy. This shouldn't be that difficult! :sigh:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

TheRedEye posted:

Mostly this is limited to people who pretend that Genesis Aladdin is better than SNES Aladdin.

Fools, the lot of them.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Kinda on topic, I built an Astro City cabinet!

It was just rather tiny.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

beaver_cheese posted:

Where did you get that? Perfect image for the screen!

Here you go.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10389481

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

if I remember when I'm home in 8.5 hours I'll measure it anyway just to double check, haha. And it'd be totally silly, but I'd also be lying if I said I hadn't briefly considered it m'self.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

frankly this just feels like the wrong place to tell people that physical releases are dumb and god why wouldn't you go digital

vv ok but it wasn't a response to you

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 4, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

for the record printing a "coffee table book" at arcade bezel dimensions would make that book EXTREMELY expensive to produce so, you know, get your Kickstarter plans ready now.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

d0s posted:

I don't think they meant to make it the exact dimensions of an arcade marquee, rather to make it the same shape as one and scale it down a bit so it's all on one page, which I would really prefer too. Making a book in the shape of a bezel would be pretty hilarious though

I mean I guess but then the images would be too small to be worth it if you scale them down to a "book" size imo - in order to make it into a reasonable width you lose way too much height

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, he ain't wrong, making all this stuff closed-source/charging money/etc all kinda defeats the purpose of why emulation is cool

heaven forbid someone charge a company to use a license for an emulator so they can profit off of it? :confused:

e : especially considering the metric shitload of work byuu does on it, and he tends to invest the money into archiving more complete ROM dumps and documentation on that

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I'm gonna be participating in a charity stream with Arcade Superplay Expo next weekend (21st - 23rd) with a bunch of speedrunners and WR level arcade players to benefit Save the Children.

https://www.tiltify.com/events/superplay

Hit it up if you can. :sax: A fair bit of GDQ overlap - I'll be rooming with a Tetris grandmaster :toot:

e : here's the current schedule, didn't realize they added it - https://horaro.org/superplay2016/schedule

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 14, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

so many bad opinions :psyduck:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

d0s posted:

yeah the weird hot dog is the only thing I've eaten here that wasn't both delicious and cheap, though I have been sticking to stereotypical japanese stuff. the "curry" really does kick rear end

also to be entirely fair to Japan they definitely differentiate between Japanese curry and curry from other countries.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Arcade Superplay Expo to benefit Save the Children (savethechildren.org) begins today! Tonight! Whatever!

Donate here : https://www.tiltify.com/events/superplay

Schedule here : https://horaro.org/superplay2016/schedule

I'll be score running (probably not a WR attempt, we were not able to secure a PCB of the game so this will be MAME or 360 arcade depending on which we determine to have less lag input) Splatterhouse at 10:20PM PST / 12:20AM CST. Definitely check the schedule for anything that interests you, they have some really great stuff up! There's a donation incentive for my friend zallard1 to speedrun Splatterhouse after my score run (it's only $100, I really want to meet that!) too.

Sorry I know I already posted about this, but reminders were requested. :sax: Hope you guys enjoy! :toot:

Stream : http://twitch.tv/superplay

My dumb tweets : http://twitter.com/sacaitlin

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

...Halloween is seasonally appropriate, not Christmas.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Djarum posted:

No, the steep price coupled with the aforementioned proprietary obscenely expensive memory cards right when the price of Micro SD started to drop like a rock, modern cell phones doing the exact same things for a cheaper price (for the average consumer on contract) and no real AAA system sellers anywhere near the launch spelled it's doom.

I think that if they had changed to Micro SD when they came out the revision and pushed the platform as a indie dev/game wonderland it very well might have had a real second life. But, there was no way to get people on board with the same problems no matter what was coming out on it. The Vita is actually a pretty impressive system but completely bungled and mismanaged it's entire life. Part of me would love to see what Sony would do with another handheld but I am as aware as they are that the handheld market, especially in Japan, is either cell phones or Nintendo.

You speak truth, the storage prices for that thing are loving ridiculous. I have one and I can barely store any games on it because that media is so god drat expensive.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah no if my collection weren't largely over a decade old a lot of those purchases simply wouldn't be happening.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I figure this is the best thing that will happen to me today, you decide what that says about today :toot:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

univbee posted:

Nice. 2nd rarest after Jack Bros right?

As far as I know, but I can't claim I'm the most knowledgable about the rarities of VB games. Loose it ran me about $30 shipped.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I could do with anything funky today. So there's that.

Yeah. Yeah.

e : really this is because I actually got my Virtual Boy back in what I was told is working condition (remarkable since it has never worked since I had it or the person before me) so I needed to get a game to test with. Just chose the one I wanted the most that wasn't Jack Bros. because lol :retrogames:

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 10, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I'm just happy you guys are heaping love on a good game. City Connection is one of my favorites from Jaleco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

for what it's worth I just bought Pokemon Cock Version for 3.79 on eBay :toot:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-GBC...qQAAOSwcLxYHEsV

• Locked thread