Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Improbable Lobster posted:

What's a good RPG on the Dreamcast?

Skies of Arcadia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Shame on you for skipping Alien Crush and Devil's Crush (no I don't care that he called them "the two pinball games" :toot: haha)

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I don't hate it as much as a lot of people for the on-disc DLC but "owns" is a real strong word there.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

What the heck, I didn't know Sailor Moon posted here!?

Excuse me. :colbert:

https://twitter.com/sacaitlin/status/856262538597732352

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I need Jupiter, Neptune, Saturn and Mercury. :sigh: They're just the ones I can never seem to find a deal on, haha. I'm really cheap about buying my spendy nerd poo poo so I tend to pick these up on deep discount/secondhand. Jupiter is one of the ones that never seems to drop in price, along with Saturn (most expensive) and Neptune.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Chainclaw posted:

Sailor Moon chat is great, it reminded me to search etsy for Sailor Moon stuff. Someone's birthday is coming up and they like Sailor Moon.

I mention this because one of the first results is this custom Game Boy Advance with amazing A / B button placement: https://www.etsy.com/listing/523560006/sailor-moon-gba-nintendo-gameboy-advance
This Game Boy Micro faceplate is pretty great, too: https://www.etsy.com/listing/550181711/sailor-moon-nintendo-game-boy-micro

thank you for this i snort-laughed

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I bought a good game today

https://twitter.com/sacaitlin/status/911670497875824640

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Someone is in for some fun.

Do you have the Sega Ages version of the original game? It's one of the better packages in the series for having a lot of features and some interesting extra modes (including Altered Beast for those weirdos). I guess that makes up for not being able to include the Die Hard stuff.

Kind of a shame that Sega hasn't tried to revive the series since it really feels like it was running a bit ahead of its time.

No, it's still on the list of "games I need to buy" but this one just popped up while I was at Kombat Kon, a small convention that Galloping Ghost set up for Mortal Kombat diehards - I was mostly there to help my friend set up her booth miserably early on a Saturday and leave, but I snagged that before I left.

But that last part of what you said made me think about how great it is and then I thought about how great it would be with Yakuza team on it (I came to this conclusion due to the perceived "wackiness" levels) and holy poo poo how amazing would that be, you know?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Hard disagree on the color choice though. DSi bronze looks like it's 80s beige, which has appeal to me on some electronics but not a DSi. :toot: But that's all opinion!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

If you slapped a Texas Instruments logo on it, it would look totally natural.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I'm really happy I bought Magic Knights Rayearth at release.

e : and that's saying something considering I had to buy an entire Saturn with it so I could play it

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Sounds about like what I would expect, being an anime/manga license and all. I could see how it would be hot poo poo to otaku gamers in the mid to late 1990s, when anime was more obscure in the US and releases often meant settling for Viz VHS stuff or finding hookups for fansubs.

For me it was pretty much this exactly, especially since I was a teen girl. Teen girl license on top of it is pretty niche.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

^ the ANIME got a stateside release, it just wasn't overly Americanized ala Sailor Moon. You can still buy the complete box set from Wal Mart. I own an older version of it.

It did get a stateside release...

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 27, 2017

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Yeah, thinking about what I knew about the anime fandom back in the late 1990s and early 2000s (albeit more as a member of the AMV community), it seemed like CLAMP's works were almost obligatory for serious otaku girls to be into. Am I inaccurate in that?

It would make sense, though, seeing how the US anime offerings were still pretty sparse to begin with, even sparser when one sifted out the obvious fanservice rubbish, and sparser still if one wanted something written and created from a female perspective that wasn't generic toastbiter shoujo fluff. Harder times, but also simpler and more magical...

Not at all inaccurate, at least at the time. Nowadays it seems like people could take or leave them, but they still have a pretty serious following (CLAMP that is). I remember being at my friend Allison's house so we could watch RG Veda on laserdisc and play Akumajo Dracula X on her Turbo Duo. :toot:

We were weeb trash that had not yet evolved into fujoshi. Unsure what determines final form. The only other manga I remember her getting really into besides CLAMP was poo poo from Watase Yuu.

Magical girls were huge (not that they aren't still, but it was pretty much "golden times") because, at least in the west, women were (as usual) treated as the sub-niche of a niche. So they tended to adapt stuff that they could ostensibly peddle to guys too.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

My parents recently gave me a plastic bin of my crap they found in our old basement and it definitely included a homemade burned disc of a bunch of Kodomo no Omocha episodes in .rm (that's Real Media's extension kids) :toot: It's sitting in the back of my car.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I'm really mad I wasted time looking for Run Saber to get ef;b'd.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

You don't have to play on a 20L5 but it IS objectively the best way to play :v:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

if only both sides of this debate could ever shut the gently caress up

sure, it's annoying to listen to some know-it-all berate someone else for wanting to get the SNES whatever

it's also annoying as gently caress to listen to everyone whining that they aren't getting their SNES whatever day one when they drove to three Best Buys to get in midnight lines to get them

people have no chill for Nintendo and I'm not gonna say that's the ultimate cause of the scalpers, but drat if they don't know how to take advantage of that

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I hate admitting that I would consider selling my PVM if someone actually wanted to pay me $800 for it, heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

an old BSNES core for RetroArch because Higan is a thing that gets updated, be clear if you wanna try to make the point

• Locked thread