Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Any idea whats going on? I pulled my mv1 and windjammers out of storage and get this

I've sprayed the contacts on windjammers and the board with deoxit, then took the cartridge slot off and cleaned the contacts below it. got rid of all the dust and crud, reassembled everything, let it dry for an hour, and I get the exact same error. I don't see any issues when doing the graphical tests on the unibios, so I have no idea where the issue might be. I don't have another board or another mvs cart at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have an rpi 3 lyin around, does anyone have an good retro styled case (either physical or an STL file) that they'd recommend if I ever got around to making it a faux nes classic.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zand posted:

does anyone have a sega _____ city cabinet? how much upkeep and maintenance has your cabinet required?

You're probably gonna have to do somethin with the monitor, eventually (cap replacement, etc). Other than that, I replaced the power cord to something with an earth, the control panel, the coin mech (you can get ones pretuned for quarters for cheapish), put locks back in, and covered a little hole in the back that was probably for linking purposes but I didn't want spiders to get in. Sometimes the jamma loom is somewhat butchered by cheap arcade operators. Thats all I can think of.

Are you lookin to buy one?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

fastbilly1 posted:

Funny enough, I missed the last crate load for the Southeast USA but found one on Craigslist a couple months later for $300 in a pawnshop. Astro City, 2l6b panel, PGM with Dragon World 2. After a few months of awesome Baku Baku and Outfoxies battles, the monitor went out. I recapped it and then broke the neck putting it back in. Finding a replacement monitor for a decent price is bloody impossible. - Xcade wants $600 for the Makvision, before shipping. So until I can find a good monitor, I have a 27inch lcd slotted in. It works, but the Astro with a CRT in it is just stunning, the LCD is not the same.

There were some 2 monitor racing games I was tracking on craigslist that had the same monitor (nanao ms29 or something like that). Not that I advocate stripping down cabinets, but who is going to want huge 2 person pole position or whatever.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 25, 2016

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I put my arcade and retro console stuff on sa mart. You want a NAC? TWO anime tity games? The real windjammers? get at me

njsykora posted:

Finally the original esports.

you could play on fightcade for years.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 4, 2016

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

Stop doing non-integer scaling and play in a goddamn window/with borders like an adult.

I remember when people were wishlisting stuff for the frame meister before it came out, and custom borders were one.

too bad they didn't do fuckin poo poo with it.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is there an easy way to do custom sets from no intro packs? I remember someone making dat files or whatever for them, year(s) ago in this thread. I just want a US set of roms and don't want to delve into THEISOZONE with their lame 7 year old ripped up goodgen set with bad dumps of zombies ate my neighbors and such.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Sell your framemeister now on eBay and just preorder a new one on solarisjapan if you like money. I have no idea why but I'm $700 richer so I can't complain

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Whats the best way to sell a whole collection? I have a lot of games (600+?) spanning multiple consoles. I'm not sure if I have the time right now to do the whole 1 at a time deal on sa mart or other forums.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Chainclaw posted:

See if there's someone in your town that sells stuff on eBay for commission that knows a lot about games. My dad retired earlier this year and sold off all the old games we left at his place doing this so he could move. Saved him a ton of time and got him more money than he would have otherwise gotten. I didn't buy or take th games from my parents because I had re-bought almost all of it since I moved out of my parents place over a decade ago.

falz posted:

Big or small lots, only individually if your time is worth nothing.

Maybe start by doing a lot per console type and list here and see what interest you get.

Reason for selling?

Turbinosamente posted:

Other people have chimed in on this, but I'd group and price the games by console they belong to and list them all at once in an SA mart thread. If there was an expensive individual games (like $100+) I'd perhaps separate those out. It'd be more work but you wouldn't have to take as big a hit trying to dump 600 games as one large lot. For example you could decide that gameboy games are going to have 15 carts to a lot and be $40 a lot or what ever the average worth is.

Or just do it auction style for all of them at once anyways, I recall someone did this semi on accident in SA mart a while back and did make out with just over a grand from the goon frenzy. (he posted his entire childhood game collection asking for offers not realizing that retro games are a thing now).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1m6NBLNLDoFyvwPPTYS8AVPJNTMw1CE-mzberE6Tm9fg/edit?usp=sharing (I guess it was no longer 600+)

There are countless other controllers / power supplies / cabling I've sorted into other bins but thats the meat of it. Also got some random stuff I didn't list like a few unopened everdrives, a ps1 skateboard platform and a super scope with the eye piece missing.

I'll probably add price notes for myself later when I get back to this.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 4, 2017

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I thought discjam was ok for the format. Just doesn't feel as fast though

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

falz posted:

That's a drat fine list of Genesis games. I am most certainly interested in many of them including some of the more spendy stuff. Are you making an SA Mart thread or still don't know?

Why are you selling?

I stopped collecting 2 years ago and also I'm unemployed atm. I'll make a thread later.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

Nice anal beads.

2017 is the year of ovipositors actually

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

I would get it for the GB Player.

my life in gaming has an extensive list of options for getting good video out of the gameboy player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjtD1mOZlPc&t=1731s

I'd consider waiting for the hdmi out mod to come back if you're not feeding this into an upscaler you already own.
https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/nintendo-gamecube-upgrade/

fishmech posted:

PAL region GameCubes come with support for outputting RGB over SCART with the regular video port, but then you need to deal with finding PAL region games or doing the mods to make it multiregion.

If its for gameboy playin, then they probably are modding it already.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ohvee posted:

Wow, I had no idea that the Gamecube component cables had become more valuable. Maybe I'll have to try to bargain with a local used store to trade it for a Switch or something(once they come out).

Just ebay it now before people realize the alternative.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I was able to find buyers for most of my games (working on consoles still), and I made this thing in my spare time

I got this dendy console from a secret santa and shoved an rpi3 in there. Genesis controllers work on the front (it was originally genesis shaped famiclone controllers), power switch works, reset and the OLED in the cartridge will work soonish.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Code Jockey posted:

How did you do the power? Wired up to send a signal through the gpio pins to trigger a script to safe-shutdown the pi? I think that's how I'll do it for my NES retropie thing, that seems to be a common way people do it

I bought a circuit from mausberry circuits that handles both startup and shutdown. It is plugged into gpio and put inline with the power

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Tape a genesis to the top of your snes and player trouble shooter instead.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
then tape a wii on top and play gradius and contra rebirth

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
are there any good ready to go replacement n64 analog sticks, or is buying one of the china gamecube styles and replacing the pcb still the preferred method

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

HKR posted:

Candy cab progress update:

-Took the control panel apart to gut the parts and clean the insides. We've discovered some damage to the frame that connects it to the rest of the cab, so we're debating how to fix that and prevent further damage.

The parts that the cab came with are Korean made Crown buttons and sticks, and they were beat to hell. One of the sticks was missing it's gate completely and had bad drift. Several buttons flatly did not work, and those that did felt weird. I was hoping to replace these parts with japanese parts, but I discovered that the buttons were slightly smaller than your typical 30mm japanese button, and the plastic they snapped into was specifically molded to take these buttons. The joystick also was longer than your typical japanese stick, and had the plastic molded around it.

So I was left with 3 options:

-Buy new Korean parts. I didn't like this for several reasons. The buttons didn't feel all that great, the layout using the slightly smaller buttons felt weird, and paradise arcade didn't have enough of them to fill out my cab. I also hate bat tops.

-Carve out the plastic frame to try and fit japanese parts. I also didn't like this because I would only have one chance to do it and could never go back to its original layout. There's something to be said to keeping this as close to original condition as possible.

-Make my own frame. The material would have to be wood and painted, not stained. I could set up my own custom layout and use any joystick and button combo I like. I could also make the frames modular so I could swap in different joystick layouts, like 3, 4 or 6 buttons.

We've decided to try option 3 first. Here's pics of our test piece:

And here's the original frame and what the buttons/joystick were like

Tomorrow I'm going to pull the power supply and clean it as well as drill out an astro city layout into the panel.

I would just make 1 and buy a reco pcb like d0s has. You might be able to get someone to print a panel sticker for it if you provide all the dimensions (or make it non adhesive and sandwich it in plexi)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is there any real interest in rgb on the 2600? The only consoles I have left are the atari stuff, and I was considering doing the video mod since rf is kind of a pain in the dick. Composite is cheap and easily available for both the 2600s and 7800 i have, but viletim also has an rgb kit for the 2600 now.

• Locked thread